Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    As much as I hate Pete Rose, he's got some good looking cards.
  • Options
  • Options
    Not in the mail yet. Picked up on a 1909 T-206 Tobacco card of Ty Cobb (red. port.) PSA graded 1. The damn thing has illuded me for 18 months, until now.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine
    Adam J. Moraine
  • Options
    As much as I hate Pete Rose, he's got some good looking cards.

Text

Yeah, Pete Rose is a World Class A**hole.
  • Options
    IF Pete is such a "world class a-hole" then why do you have a 1965 Topps PSA 7 Pete Rose in your damn collection? It DOESN'T make any sense. You hate the guy, but have fairly decent graded cards of him? What gives?? Oh Yeah, $$$$ when the damn card is consigned to Bill Mastro.

Best regards,

Adam J. Moraine
    Adam J. Moraine
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>IF Pete is such a "world class a-hole" then why do you have a 1965 Topps PSA 7 Pete Rose in your damn collection? It DOESN'T make any sense. You hate the guy, but have fairly decent graded cards of him? What gives?? Oh Yeah, $$$$ when the damn card is consigned to Bill Mastro.

Best regards,

Adam J. Moraine >>

get lost.
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>IF Pete is such a "world class a-hole" then why do you have a 1965 Topps PSA 7 Pete Rose in your damn collection? It DOESN'T make any sense. You hate the guy, but have fairly decent graded cards of him? What gives?? Oh Yeah, $$$$ when the damn card is consigned to Bill Mastro.

Best regards,

Adam J. Moraine >>

Adam
    Over the recent years I have developed a philosophy about baseball: Love the game NOT the players.

Thus, for shear collectilbility, I will buy cards of players that have contributed to the game that I would never want as friends.

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Oh Yeah, $$$$ when the damn card is consigned to Bill Mastro. >>

Do you know this for a fact about New Jersey?

If not, I think you owe him an apology.

You said in your intro you wanted to just talk cards and stuff....well?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Adam

Not the best way to ease yourself in on the boards.

Best regards,

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with buying cards of players that are not well liked. I'm sure I have more than my fair share of cards of players that I would like to kick in the teeth if I met them, but since they are part of the set..............

Love Pete or not, if you plan on trying to complete a Topps set from 1963 to, what is it...1986?, then you need Pete in the set.

Football collector 1948-1995, Rams oddball cards & memorabilia, Diamond match.
    Cataloging all those pesky, unlisted 1963 Topps football color variations Updated 2/13/05
  • Options

Adam:

Thanks for the kind words.

Clarification regarding harsh Pete Rose comment . . .

In 1985 the Major League Baseball All-Star game is played at the HHH Metrodome - worst excuse for a ballpark - in Mpls, MN; my hometown. So my Dad rounds up me, my brother and a few of our buddies and we go watch the National League workout the day before the game.

Of course, we take a couple of white, Rawlings pearls to have signed. The event is not all that well-attended, so we stand right along the first base line. As the NL players emerge from the tunnel just to the right of the Hefty Bag in right field, we kindly ask them to sign our baseballs.

Most all gladly oblige, some taking time to visit, joke around, etc. Strawberry and Ozzie Smith, as I recall, were more than gracious with their time. I figure we must have had rougly 15-18 autographs on that ball, and as you can imagine, we were absolutely elated!

Anyway, about halfway through BP, in walks the . . . HIT QUEEN!! Sporting his Japanese-made Mizuno rubber wind shirt, PETE ROSE, strolls not 20 feet in front of us! WOW, a brush with fame. So, as Pete meanders to the batting cage (a player of Pete's stature certainly would never shag balls with the rest of the squad), we kindly ask him to sign. He nods his head, but not having quite enough energy to take tens steps to the stadium wall, Pete holds his Japanese-made Mizuno mitt in the air.

"Wow, this is cool," I'm thinking to myself! Actually having the opportunity to throw a baseball to PETE ROSE . . . The HIT QUEEN! Being the oldest brother, I went first and threw a perfect strike to Pete on the move! Not to be outdone, my little brother does the same with his ink-filled pearl.

Being the class act that he is, the HIT QUEEN gives us this little poop-eating grin and rolls both of our signed balls into batting practice. Dick. Never saw the baseballs again. My father, being a Vietnam vet, and a bit loosely wrapped, shouted some choice words toward Rose I had heard before, and haven't heard since. But the punk with the nice hair style kept walking.

Now I don't believe athletes should be role-models, but they don't have to be p*icks.

Going to Cooperstown next week with my family. Very happy to know my child won't have to be in the same room as Pete's bronze bust.

Regarding the consignment deal . . . I'm not really sure who Bill Maestro is, but I'm assuming he sells cards for others?

All vintage slabs in my personal collection are not sold. Just lay around the house in cute little brown boxes. Probably will give them to my boys some day. Just as I assume my father will do with his high-grade, vintage cards when he's preparing to check out.

My very best,
    Rick

p.s. Stone: thanks again for helping me out with posting scans!
  • Options
    Back on target

Rick
    That's a beautiful 7! I like it!

Sorry ass story - sad to read - but everyone knows the guy was a dickhead! He's only nicer now because he wants something from people. After that, he'll go back to his old ways.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Joe
    Those scans are off the chart! Incredible Johnny card!

I'm actually a Griffey fan and really like those auto cards.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    Rick, thanks for the story. Not surprising. I never liked the jerk.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options
    Thanks Mike. I didn't mind the Ryan's either.

• Options
    Very Nice Ryans Joe
    I have the set in 7s - and I'll bet you paid the same for the 8s I paid years ago for the 7s. At one time, the 8s were probably going for about 800$ a piece. In fact, some say the 70T is an SP?

thanx
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    I'm not sure on the 70 but the 1969 was about $400 in 1989. I thought I overpaid but I felt I couldn't pass on a quality card. Of course it was raw back then.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    I love mail day! Picked up my winnings from last month's 19thcenturyonly auction today. Pretty stoked about my first E90-1 Hall of Famer:

These PSA 4's were in a single lot:

imageimage

A small group of T206's from eBay was also waiting for me:

[Obligatory bad hobby joke] A T206 Wagner!
    ...Heinie Wagner [/Obligatory bad hobby joke]

imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    "Being the class act that he is, the HIT QUEEN gives us this little poop-eating grin and rolls both of our signed balls into batting practice. Dick. Never saw the baseballs again. My father, being a Vietnam vet, and a bit loosely wrapped, shouted some choice words toward Rose I had heard before, and haven't heard since. But the punk with the nice hair style kept walking."

That is a totally classic story. I love it when someone gives me another reason to loathe Pete Rose.
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    yawie-

nice tobacco cards. i've been picking up some T-206s on ebay with plans to send them for grading. what grades are the scans you shared?

i may try to put together a collection of the different backs, i think there are around 40 different variations.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    The T206's are all 4's, though the Ferris got slapped with an MC. Perhaps deservedly so, but it looks a lot better than the 2 I did have. Not that I'm actively trying to upgrade the 1's and 2's I have or anything, but it was part of the lot.

I buy a mix of raw and graded on eBay. Most of the raw T206's have ended up in the 2-4 range, but I did get a 5 on a Titus and a 6 on an Oberlin, neither of which I still have. I'm about to submit most of the raw stuff I've bought over the last few months. I don't think there are any 5+'s this time, at least not in the T206's, but I do have a couple of nice T205's ready to go in.

I'm kinda trying to get a variety of backs too. I think I have at least one variety of each of the slight-premium-but-not-really-that-rare backs, but I still need Hindu, Carolina Brights, Broad Leaf and so on. I had a Chase w/ Trophy (one of my favorite cards in the set) with an American Beauty back not too terribly long ago, but traded it. I kinda missed it until I picked up a nicer one with a Tolstoi back a few weeks ago. I also have a Bresnahan with a Cycle back. I guess those are my two best F/B combos.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Sounds like you have assembled a nice collection. I just picked up my first Polar Bear back on a minor leaguer. The reverse is nicely centered. The less common backs do not show up very much on ebay I've noticed, although it might be a dry spell after the National. Then again, I guess thats why they are less common. I've also picked up a couple of graded T-202s, a 4 and a 5. Very nice cards.

I'm expecting 4s for the four cards I plan to send in, and one will come back with a qualifier for some pencil writing on the back. I'll have to post when they come back.
  • Options
    apologies to Jersey. Sorry If I had offended you. I am a fan of Charlie Hustle's, and thought I would stand up for him. Each to his own liking, I guess.

best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine
    Adam J. Moraine
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>"Being the class act that he is, the HIT QUEEN gives us this little poop-eating grin and rolls both of our signed balls into batting practice. Dick. Never saw the baseballs again. My father, being a Vietnam vet, and a bit loosely wrapped, shouted some choice words toward Rose I had heard before, and haven't heard since. But the punk with the nice hair style kept walking." >>

Rick -

You can find some solace in knowing that the money Rose made from selling the balls may have been part of his unreported income that landed him in jail. image

The ending of your story took me by surprise. A truly cruel thing to do to a couple of kids - the true fans.

Adam - apologies are great but we have seen on the Net 54 board and now here that your fingers sometimes take on their own life. Cool out.

Steeerrrriiiiike onnnnne!
  • Options
    rlankhaarrlankhaar Posts: 157 ✭✭

<< <i>I am a fan of Charlie Hustle's, and thought I would stand up for him. Each to his own liking, I guess. >>

I find it curious that a big Bob Feller fan would also like Rose, but as you pointed out to each his own.
    Always looking for 1996 Select Certified Football.
  • Options
    I've disliked rose since he got into it with Bud Harelson of the Mets. Big weight advantage. And I have seen nothing to change my mind. Joe
  • Options
    Apology accepted, Adam.

Harrelson and Fosse, hmmm.

• Options
    Bought this from a dealer in TN yesterday. Paid $1,485. Think it would bring $2,000++ on eBay. Gonzalez is the most notable SP card of this refractor set, a landmark one.
  • Options
    I was bidding on a PSA 9 Eric Anthony earlier in the year and that one ended at $200 or so I think, it was a lot more than I expected whatever it was. Possibley one of the last landmark sets in a string of early 90's landmark sets. 1989 Upper Deck, 1990 Leaf, 1991 Stadium Club, 1992 Bowman, 1993 Finest, 1994 SP Holoview Red DCs. All laid the groundwork for the standards of the modern card market in my opinion.

I have some scans I will post this week, more HOF autographs including a sweet KiKi Cuyler from the Nationals. Not really a mail day but worth posting.
  • Options
    Brumbach,

As a huge autograph collector, I would LOVE to see the Cuyler autograph. Could you PLEASE post a scan, if available.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine
    Adam J. Moraine
  • Options

<< <i>I was bidding on a PSA 9 Eric Anthony earlier in the year and that one ended at $200 or so I think, it was a lot more than I expected whatever it was. Possibley one of the last landmark sets in a string of early 90's landmark sets. 1989 Upper Deck, 1990 Leaf, 1991 Stadium Club, 1992 Bowman, 1993 Finest, 1994 SP Holoview Red DCs. All laid the groundwork for the standards of the modern card market in my opinion.

I have some scans I will post this week, more HOF autographs including a sweet KiKi Cuyler from the Nationals. Not really a mail day but worth posting. >>

thanks for your kind words.................
  • Options
    jm
    Absolutely beautiful card!
    Congratulations!

Brum
    I would like to see the Cuyler auto - I have him on a ball - with others - couldn't afford a single auto ball.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    I had to jump in as you all inspire me to grab a neat item every time one of these threads pop up.

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    eBay pickups:

Brooks signs a nasty autograph, so I was happy to find this relatively nice ballpoint for $12 shipped:

Picked up the Cuyler in Chicago. Saw it on Thursday and was surprised to see it still there on Saturday morning, I'm glad Hazen was able to wait for me to transfer some funds on Friday night.

$675 plus $25 to have the guys across the street slab it. My first experiece submitting to Someother Grading Company, I thought the postcard would look good with the black frame. He died a year later in 1950 and was not inducted into The Hall until 1968 by the Veteran's Committee:

• Options

Brum
    Great set of autos!!!!

The KiKi part of his auto has a characteristic "K" that seems to be the same on all his autos.

congratulations on a great show and pick ups!
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    That's the first SGC/JSA authenticated slabbed item I've seen.. not bad.

You guys are obtaining some incredible stuff. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Wow. It's really weird to see a pic of Joe D. and the Mick standing so close together like that considering how much they hated each other. That's an awesome piece.
  • Options
    From the back of the postcard:

After winning this one I saw two unsigned copies in Chicago last week, odd.
  • Options
  • Options
    Brum
    It doesn't get any better than having them on a postcard like that!

I have a 68 Sports Illustrated poster that is on the rare side - if I could have gotten the Mick to sign it - then I would have something really incredible! Last time I went to a show and he was there - by the time I got up to the window, he was sold out!!!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    How about me and Nugent . . . Does this count?

• Options
  • Options
    Laurence and Gina Fishburne's Christmas card . . .

• Options
  • Options
    Here's one that has eluded me for sometime now. Had pay about just under 4 times SMR
  • Options
    Sweet Oliva! Love the Zoilo and Killebrew from '65, too.
  • Options
    With some catcher at President Bush's Inaugural Candlelight Dinner . . .

• Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805
    I know, it's not a big deal and it's not valuable, but I like it and I think it's a bit of baseball history:

And this. No history, but I still like it:

Finally, this. I'm assuming I can get it graded as a "tall boy." I just love these 201s:

"Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options