Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mail Call - What did you get? Today or something you just want to share? Created Jul 2005

Comments

• Options
    lamontcarterlamontcarter Posts: 748 ✭✭✭
    Awesome cards everyone. Special Congrats to my friend Mike for reaching 50%. Richie Rollins looks like he shoulda been playing chess rather than the hot corner.
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike, great stuff! Thats alot of additions! The thing that struck me after reviewing your cards was the centering. It is obvious you do your homework!

Should we order up 50 cent to do your 50 perCENT party image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Hmmmmm. Intriguing. I'd ask you what that's all about, but then, after you told me, you'd probably have to kill my cat. If I knew how to do it, I'd create an underground, unauthorized, resistance set registry. Excuse me, someone just broke down my door. >>

Hi Mac
    I would never kill your cat...I do hate rats tho!

But I would be interested in your "underground" club? Is there a secret handshake?

Mike
  • Options
    nearmint

That a tremendous card of Nick - didn't his son break his neck playing football or am I mixing him up with someone else? Congratulations! Superb.

rbj - nice stuff! Great movie cards! I collect those too. But none that nice. Zef did ya good! Congrats.

Brian
    Not everyone has an auto of "Spec" - that's actually pretty cool. Why did you pick it up?

mike

Mike
  • Options
    Mac53Mac53 Posts: 805

<< <i>"underground" club >>

We could call it the Pogo Stick Registry.
    "Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well."image
  • Options

<< <i>Brian
    Not everyone has an auto of "Spec" - that's actually pretty cool. Why did you pick it up?

mike >>

i bought other stuff from dsl already, and i bid 20 and got it for 18 so i figured i'd save on shipping. i want to eventually complete the 53 bowman color set... this is my first card from it... probably seriously start going after 'em in 18 months and finish in the next 3-5 years, not all auto'ed though - that'd be madness
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"underground" club >>

We could call it the Pogo Stick Registry. >>

Mike
  • Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    Weeeeeeeeeee.

• Options
    You guys are way ahead of me. I just want there to be a Bart set.

• Options
    Mike
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Hey Mike - that's great to hit 50% on the Fleer set. You've been working on that one since I've known you so I know you're being very particular about what you add. Congrats!

Nearmint - that Buoniconti is awesome - my God, looks like he's about to run right outta that slab. Sheesh....

Yesterday was a great mail day for me; rec'd a partial set of 1889 N-186 Kimball Dancing Women, a partial set (20/36) of 1948 Bowman Movie Stars, a couple of N-136 Duke Terrors of America (large size), a couple of N-287 Buchner New York City Scenes to see if I like them (I do) and 3 Duke Miniature Novelties, one of which is this baseball issue:

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options

<< <i>1889 N-186 Kimball Dancing Women, >>

Hi Mark
    Thanx for the kind words - I'm slow on sets.

On the dancing women - not even partial nudity? image

Seriously, interesting design - extremely artistic.

I would like to see one of the N-287s? Had they built the subways yet?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Hey Mark:
    That's an interesting card. But I'm not seeing the baseball connection. What year is it? Looks like the girl in the middle is holding a microphone. Nice artwork, though.
  • Options
    nearmintnearmint Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That a tremendous card of Nick - didn't his son break his neck playing football or am I mixing him up with someone else? >>

Yes, you're right, though I didn't know that until I did a net search. Here's the story and a nice pic of Marc.
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    They're pretty raw, since I just wanted to check them out, but here are the two I have

Lower Broadway looking south from P.O.:

Grand St. Ferry:

There are 20 cards in the set, including Chatham Square, Baxter Street, Grant's Tomb, Wall St., Central Park, Union Square @ 14th, etc. There's also a card called Scene in Mott St., which I look forward to getting since it'll be a period rendering of Five Points.

Mac - the gal on the right is in a sorta baseball uniform, superimposed over a baseball (note the seams).
    Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."
  • Options
    Nice cards Mark
    I'm thinking the Grand St. Ferry was probably in the area before the Williamsburg Bridge was built - at least there's a Grand St. in that area - this set probably predates the Brooklyn Bridge also which is in the area. What's the date on the set?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭✭
    MM ... more great cards. You sure do find some interesting sets to acquire. These types of posts often inspire me to widen my collecting focus for better or worse.
    Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options

<< <i>MM ... more great cards. You sure do find some interesting sets to acquire. These types of posts often inspire me to widen my collecting focus for better or worse. >>

Halo
    These sets are really cool and you can do them either in sports or nonsports and not for a lot of money!

Jesse Owens, Howard Hughs

Gary Cooper, Jackie Cooper

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Stone ... I saw MM post some American Beauties cards a while back. Since then, I've started several mixed sport / non-sport sets. Suprisingly, to me, I now find my collecting budget evenly split between the sports cards and vintage non sport sets. There are a number of issues that are interesting to me that I never knew existed before visiting these boards. Big thanks to you all, especially MM
  • Options
    halosfan:
    I know exactly what you mean! Mike: those sets are cool--what are they? And Mark, you always come up with amazing stuff! I love those American Beauties, but can't find many on ebay. I'm starting to get interested in Civil War News, too. I've got too many interests and not enough dough! image
  • Options

<< <i>halosfan:
    I know exactly what you mean! Mike: those sets are cool--what are they? And Mark, you always come up with amazing stuff! I love those American Beauties, but can't find many on ebay. I'm starting to get interested in Civil War News, too. I've got too many interests and not enough dough! image >>

Mac
    1. Shots From Famous Films - Gallaher Ltd - England - 1935 - set size 48 - size: 1 1/12" X 2 1/2" - was inserted in cigarette packs.

2. Kings of Speed - WA & AC Churchman - England - 1939 - set size 50 - size: 1 7/16" X 2 1/2" - was inserted in cigarette packs.

Cream of Cards is on vacation right now but I think the guy is honest and has good customer service.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

I have bought cards from that seller in the past and second the endorsement.

Matthew
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    Here are my latest pickups. Not gem mint, but really nice centering, pretty good corners and great eye appeal for the price.

• Options
    AJW- those are sharp 6's. IMO, I think that PSA 6 in the years 1958-64 are some of the best buys around right now, provided you do watch the centering as you clearly have. Nice job.
  • Options
    AJ
    The 64T Mays is sweet!!!

I like the simple design of the 64 and 66 which some thought was a dud.

BTW, did my mail get to your house in one piece? I sent a PSA card and toploader?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I was happy with this one...

edited to add: The edges are a little rough, but all the fuzz is from the damn dog!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Bottom right corner -

Isn't that Joe Walsh (formerly of the James Gang and the Eagles)?

<< <i>image >>

• Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭
    Been wanting one of these for awhile. Finally found one at a decent price-it arrived today.
    Clemente Montreal Royals minor league jersey. A throwback, not game used, but all cloth letters and logos.

• Options

<< <i>Bottom right corner -

Isn't that Joe Walsh (formerly of the James Gang and the Eagles)?

<< <i>image >>

image >>

Mike
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Two new purchases. I love these cards.
  • Options

TK
    Those are sweet cards! Have never bought one but I probably will some day.

thanx for sharing and congrats
    mike
    Mike
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Now that I have a Neal Ball in my collection, I'm thinking of a PSA registry set "unassisted triple plays"......
  • Options

<< <i>TK
    Those are sweet cards! Have never bought one but I probably will some day.

thanx for sharing and congrats
    mike >>

I agree...the T202s are great cards. I just did a search on "T202" on ebay and came up with some...um...interesting hits.

T202 Search
  • Options
    Here are my latest additions. I really like the Mays. It has a few corner touches, but it's got great centering and doesn't have the white print line across the top border that is so common. I've picked up a few Will Clark autos lately. I'm not willing to pay the big bucks for the ultra low print runs, but I'll grab some here and there when the price is right.

• Options

Got this today

And this a few days ago.
    Collecting
    Minnie Minoso Master and Basic
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    1960's Topps run Mega Set image
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    I love those 50-52 Bowmans. Little works of art.
  • Options
    Yeah me too. They look great and there is just something about smaller cards that give them extra character or something.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
    "For me, playing baseball has been like a war and I was defending the uniform I wore, Every time I put on the uniform I respected it like the American flag. I wore it like I was representing every Latin country."--Minnie Minoso
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Nice mays AJ. I see this example does not have that distracting print line at the top.

I agree those early bowmans are sweet.

SD
    Good for you.
  • Options

<< <i>Nice mays AJ. I see this example does not have that distracting print line at the top.
    >>

Yeah, I hate that print line and I don't understand why it doesn't seem to impact the PSA grade. It's clearly a mistake of some type and should reduce the grade, but I guess PSA doesn't agree.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

I just got these. 1981 Perma Graphics. I had never seen them and they looked cool. Nice condition. I got a lot of 17.

EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought this today. Not a card but a neat item. VintageJeff shouls like this. Its a political postcard. 1906 World Champions.
    W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>Bought this today. Not a card but a neat item. VintageJeff shouls like this. Its a political postcard. 1906 World Champions. >>

Wow, definitely some rare items, never seen those before. Don't let the Minoso thing fool you though I'm a cubs fan through and through just have a soft spot for Minnie.
    Collecting
    1967 Topps PSA 8+
  • Options
    jrdolanjrdolan Posts: 2,549 ✭✭
  • Options
    Couple of items arrived this week.

Destined for a frame and a spot on the wall of my office:

I ventured back into raw. Hope it grades OK:

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My submission! image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
  • Options
  • Options