Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anybody Bought From CoinWorld Dealer John Paul Sarosi, Inc.?

moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
I am interested in a key date coin John Paul Sarosi Inc. has for sale, but it is not slabbed. Has anyone purchased coins from John Paul Sarosi Inc. and if so, would you have some comments on the raw coins they sell? I usually don't buy raw key date coins, but the company appears to have a good return policy, however, they say it takes 2-3 weeks to receive an order from them.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Charlie

Comments

• BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    No, because many people whose opinions I respect told me I'd regret it.
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One time and 4 out of 5 raw coins were returned. Grades were not even close.

• I sent you a PM. You can PM me if you wish.

eddye

GO STEELERS
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they say it takes 2-3 weeks to receive an order from them

I am a pretty patient guy around when it comes to getting coins that are ordered, but what the heck is that about?
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Years back I bought a few rolls of AU (:roflimage Walkers.
    Every coin was EF dipped with zero luster.image
    Larry

• moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    RKY, I bought a coin from The Robert Charles Compay out of CoinWorld and it also took them about three weeks to deliver. I called them after 2 weeks and they said that was their normal procedure. It was a slabbed coin that was nice for the price.
  • For the one time I purchased from JPS, the return of the entire order of raw coins was handled without problem.
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Bad experiences personally.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set

• Avoid like the plague!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eddye

GO STEELERS

• I like your pics RY. Are you from Pittsburgh?

eddye

GO STEELERS
  • But isn't he pesident of PANS????image

I also have dealt with him, early in my learning curve!image
    Don't you know that it's worth
    every treasure on Earth
    to be young at heart?
    And as rich as you are,
    it's much better by far,
    to be young at heart!
  • Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tbig
    How in the world do they stay in business when they treat customers like that!!!!!!!! I have seen their adds in CoinWorld for years.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

<< <i>But isn't he pesident of PANS????image

I also have dealt with him, early in my learning curve!image >>

JP's co-worker (and cousin, I believe) Kathy is the president of PAN.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭
    I bought on 3 different ocassions, twice with raw coins-returned EVERY overgraded/dipped raw coins-AVOID! Bought two proof sets-took 3 weeks, and I'm in the NEXT state! NEVER again!! Ray
    You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

• Sure glad you adk the question saved me a lot of trouble and most likely money

GO STEELER'Simage

VietnamPat
  • Two words:

They suck!

(especially for raw coins! beware!! And if you return coins you don't like, they will hold it against you forever)
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • PrethenPrethen Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭
    Wow! Do I feel lucky. I called this dealer on at least two occassions inquiring about a number of coins that seemed interesting. The lady who answered said that the dealer refuses to discuss any particular coin with a customer, if they don't like it, they can send it back. I HATE playing the "pay-postage-for-nothing" game so I refused to play it.

One other thing of note, if this is the same dealer that I'm thinking of with the multiple type coins shown in their advertisements. Have you noticed that just about every single one of the grades in their ads show the coin as a choice grade (VF30, XF45, AU55). It seems like they don't know the meaning of proper grading or that they're sooooo lucky as to only purchase choice coins.

I second everyone's opinion on this dealer....STAY AWAY....STAY FAAAAARRRR AWAY!
  • The size of the ad is often inversely proportional to the quality of the coins for sale.
    morgannut2
    Does anyone have the 'nads to send a link to this thread to JPS? I'd love to see how they'd respond!
  • UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭
    I would have no problem sending JPS a link.

Post the email address or PM me.

Joe.
    Oh, yeah. I forgot to mention, they're completely disconnected from the Net. No e-mail or web address known. Does anyone know of one that they've given over the phone?
  • stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    It is ironic that you are asking about them. I called yesterday to place an order on a coin that I saw in the ad also. It was a 42 D/D Jefferson nickel. Fortunately they sold it already. They had a raw "ms63" listed. From what I get from this thread, it was probably an AU. Once again the message boards prove their value.

• I ordered a few raw MS66 Franklins from them once and all three were completely covered with PVC haze, making it impossible to determine the true grade.

Another time I ordered a NGC 1950-D toner Franklin. It was extremely suspicious toning so I returned it.

Then a year or so later I ordered another slab and gave my Credit Card number. After 3 weeks and no coin , I called and asked did they ship it? I was told ( in a rude tyone of voice) that it was laying right there on Kathy's desk. I said, "Is that any way to treat your customer?"

The salesman replied that they had not sent it out, because I had returned a "beautifully toned 1950-D Franklin once."

I said well it seems most of your stuff is way overgraded anyway.

He said, " Then don't order from us anymore."

So I dont.
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I said well it seems most of your stuff is way overgraded anyway. >>

Thus convincing them that you're not their target market, since you know the difference between AU and BU.
    Unfortunately, I was a gullible idiot a few years ago and bought a couple of "BU" $20 Liberty's (1891s and 1893s) from Paul Sims. Just for comfort-sake, I got them graded by ICG, they came back AU58 and AU55. I realize that I lost more money in grading fees than by the likely AU/BU price difference, but this taught me to never trust a lot of these big guys who say they have BU stuff for sale. Much of it, I'm guessing, are really sliders and they don't care to really check them out or, worse yet, be honest. I've run across a web-site blacklisting a number of Coin World advertisers that are famous for just this type of overgrading. Unfortunately, most of the ones we're all familiar with are on that last and I've bought from most of them. Buyer beware!

The funny thing about the AU Liberty's was that I got up the guts to call up Paul Sims about what occured. Simply put, they didn't care. The lady who answers the phone came up with the quite often use phrase that coin grading is subjective. But, I pointed out that there's a real difference between a coin that has wear (any at all, even AU58) or none at all (MS60). She wanted me to send in the coins so they could check them out. What a joke! Yeah, I want to pay shipping and insurance just so that Paul Sims can come up with a silly excuse.

If I can't talk directly to a dealer about a coin, see really good pictures of it, or see it in person, I will likely stay away. Lessons learned.
    Hey stephunter, The 1942 D over Horizontal D Jefferson was the coin I had been looking at and thinking about buying until I got all these negative responses about this dealer. They also had several other key date Jefferson nickels listed. I wonder if anyone on the forum took a chance and bought the 1942 D over Horizontal D coins?
  • cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I called them about 6 years ago regarding a coin. I dont remember what it was other than it being about $1000. I offered to buy it if they sent it to NGC or PCGS it came back as they graded. I said I would pay all costs involved. I was rather rudely told that they do not submit coins. We then got into a debate about grading and customer service that didnt end very well.

I can not recommend them.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

Ohmigosh...I just called JPS and requested an e-mail address and got about the rudest response I would expect. Essentially, he (who?, I'm not sure), was totally abrupt when I asked him in a very friendly manner about any sort of e-mail access. All he said was "No". Period. The call ended with him saying in the same abrupt format " 'nything else?" and then hung up. What a turd!

These guys should official get the "Coin Dealer Turd Award".
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bought one coin... advertised as a GEM 65 common date Morgan. What showed up was -- IMO -- a whizzed POS that was no better than AU to begin with.

They handled my refund promptly and without any hassle.

That was 10 years ago and I've never been back.
    When in doubt, don't.
    "handled my refund promptly"

This seems to be the only positive thing to be said about this dealer. They handle refunds really well. I guess that makes sense if you so something enough you get really good at it! image
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do have a Fax (814) 535-2978image
    Larry

• Not at all reputable...I had similar experiences to "fairlaneman"..poorly graded and and in a couple of cases proof coins were ms and vice versa..lousy customer service also was my experience...
    Bruce Scher
  • VeepVeep Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭
    I never bought anything, but sold them some XF/AU gold coins a while back. They offered more than I expected and more than I needed from the coins and paid me amazingly fast. From the time the registered package left Chicago until I had their check in-hand, less than a week had passed. The check was good. That's my only contact with them and it was awesome! Whether they sell those coins as Unc's may be another issue.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    As those of you who read the JPS adds know, many of his Morgan dollars are described as very colorfully toned. Intrigued, several years ago I called and spoke to Kathy, who I assumed was John's wife, but an earlier post said cousin. Anyway, I asked about their toned dollars. Kathy told me that their raw dollars were purposely overgraded by at least one point each. (Yeah, must be cousin.) However, she also said that if I saw any that were certified by one of the major services, that would be a key that the coin was probably both attractive and properly graded.

Some weeks later I found several such gem coins buried in those dense JPS listings. I called Kathy, and she patiently described the coins for me. I ordered those that sounded best, perhaps 5 or so, and I was very happy with them when they arrived. In fact, I still own them, including a gorgeous "Christmas tree toned" 1885-cc as she called it that is the only piece of that date in my collection. Alas, I never again saw any coins like that in their listings. But, I have only nice memories of Kathy, and I recall our friendly conversations when I come across her coins in my collection.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I spent 3 years of my medical training in western PA. There are quite a few people there for whom wives, sisters and cousins could be one and the same image
  • live about amile from the store. I would stay with the certified coin if you order.

• I found them to be rude, certainly not customer oriented.

I'll take my custom elsewhere.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i think either john or kathy is chairman of the "pan" show, or something like that?

K S
    Kathy is president of PAN and heads up the PAN shows.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, they run the PAN show. I've seen them kick people out of this show-permanently- for any minor disagreement that may arise with them.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    is it "sa-rose-ee" or "sa-rose-eye"?

K S
    It's sah-ROE-see.

• MrYukMrYuk Posts: 110 ✭✭

<< <i>"handled my refund promptly"

This seems to be the only positive thing to be said about this dealer. They handle refunds really well. I guess that makes sense if you so something enough you get really good at it! image >>

You were the lucky one:

NGC link of my JPS experience
    The last of the human freedoms is to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. Viktor E. Frankl

EZ_E/Victor/Mr.Yuk: lover of prehistoric, megabeast-sized canines. EVP
    Bought once, sent it back immediately with a promise they'd never hear from me again. That was 1994... and I've kept my promise.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • If they're this bad, then why do Coinworld and NN continue to accept their ads.
    Everything I write is my opinion.

Looking for alot of crap.
    Because they pay their ad bills.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very likely that this organization is made up of a number of dealers, the only probable reason why it takes 3 weeks to deliver! What's the price for a full page ad in Coin Would these days? I remember seeing $1800 3-4 years back.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• I have dealt with JPS for years witout a problem and this has all been done at coin shows one on one. I have never had a bad experience. Kathy is John's Niece and yes a coinworld ad is darn expensive. For all of you who are complaining about shipping time remember this, It takes time for your check to arrive, be processed, go to the bank and clear, pack the order and post it. Some checks take up to ten days and i do a lot of mail order. We process most orders in two weeks or less in my shop and it is a frantic pace. The one thing that does waste a lot of time is a customer who calls every day to see if his package has shipped starting on third day after he mails the check. This happens all the time!
    All American Coin & Jewlery Co.
    6024 N. 9th Ave #5
    Pensacola, FL 32504
    HTTP://WWW.AACoinCo.Com

• << <i>Bought once, sent it back immediately with a promise they'd never hear from me again. That was 1994... and I've kept my promise. >>

I, too, stay away from these folks like the plague!
    Crappy service and Rude & Arrogant to boot!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file