Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ok...I have $5000.00 to spend on coins....

or a coin.....Which way do I go? What do you recommend?...Do I go with the best coin I can get for the money or do I diversify and go with several types?

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One nice coin. And here's a suggestion:

• Options
    How about some gold libs? A D and C mint lib?
  • Options
    Sample slabs. Go for the kind with 20-50 known and you will do fine in the long run.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Depends on your collecting goals and what you like.
  • Options
    I like gold..(who doesn't...image)...I mainly collect Lincoln cents, or at least I have so far....My biggest goal is to have very nice looking coins that I can be proud of...
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Well you could probably put together a early 20th century type gold set in 63-65 for that much if you don't get key dates.
    $2-1/2,5,10,20.
  • Options
    Save the $5,000, earn another $2,500 and buy a nice 1856 Flying Eagle! image
  • Options
    If you like lincoln cents, I still think the 55 double die is a great classic rarity to own. For $5000 you can get a very nice uncirculated coin.image
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man! Soooo many choices!!! Well...... You can never go wrong with key date coins.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    FatManFatMan Posts: 8,977

<< <i>Save the $5,000, earn another $2,500 and buy a nice 1856 Flying Eagle! image >>

But be sure to do it soon so you can get in on the current highly subscribed free quarterly grading.image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If you like lincoln cents, I still think the 55 double die is a great classic rarity to own. For $5000 you can get a very nice uncirculated coin.image >>

That's exactly what I was thinking... or sacrifice a point/color designation and get an MS 1955/55, as well as an MS 09-S VDB.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    how about a pcgs ms63 rd for 5000$.

the double die is a great investment.
    may the force be with you.

rob.
  • Options
    You would need a 2.5, 5, 10, 20 dollar lib and then 2.5, 5 then 2 10 indians and then 2 saints. That would put him over budget.
  • Options
    You could easily assemble a very nice set of Indian Head Quarter Eagles. 15 coin set-the only toughie is the 1911-D, which will set you back (if you opt to get the more valuable bold D varieity) about a grand in upper circulated condition. The other 14 are fairly affordable at 150-200 apiece. A nice set, easy to put together, a great conversation piece, and you still oughtta have a good amount of cash left.

Best,
    BR
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Ideas.

1916 quarter
    1901-S quarter
    1893-S dollar
    1918/7 quarter
    1916-D dime
    Nice seated liberty dollar.

Don't spend it on high numbered slabs where the lower graded dates are about face value.
  • Options
    Some complete sets
  • Options
    13oz. of gold....the only way you'll make money over the next 6 mos. 1yr. 2yr. Beyond that it's a crap shoot. By then you should have more money to buy coins at maybe 25% below current prices which are crazy.
  • Options

<< <i>By then you should have more money to buy coins at maybe 25% below current prices which are crazy. >>

Good Grief!...now I'm scared to do it!image
  • Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    If you like Lincolns and have 5g , look here.

1909-s vdb

Nice coin and a great seller.

I wish I had the $$$$$$ , that bad boy would be mine !!

Kevin
  • Options
    I'd start with a 32-D and a 09-S VDB.
  • Options
    hookedoncoinshookedoncoins Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    I was just now calculating approximately how much all the coins on my US, darkside, and currency want list (that I am planning on buying in the next year or two) and it only comes to $3500. I suggest you give your money to me and buy one really nice $1500 coin with the differeneimage. Seriously... I would rather buy 25 $200 coins or 10 $500 coins than one $5000 coin. Then again, I don't "invest" in coins.

-Jarrett Roberts
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I had a similar dilemma, I had $4400 all of sudden to spend. I already had started a Lincoln Cent set. I couldn't decide whether to spend the money only on Lincoln's or on other stuff. I ended up spending half on Lincolns and half on Indian Head Cents, although I wonder if I should have saved all of it until I saw a nice MS 1877 IHC (the one small cent key date I still need).

Anyway, my advice is if there are any sets you might ever want to put together, buy the key dates with your $5000. Or even if your not a set person, you could still make a list of a bunch of really cool coins you'd like to own. Go to a big show, and buy the best coin you see there thats on your list in terms of value and quality. Only buy it if everything about it is perfect in every way! (i.e. the exact grade you want, the look you want, a reasonable price.) If you arent able to have $5000 all at once often, you might want to use it all to get one really nice coin, but $1000 still buys some really nice ones too, so nothing wrong with buying several nice coins.
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭
    Well......., with a little extra, you could try for this beauty.

Double Die

• Options

<< <i>Well......., with a little extra, you could try for this beauty. >>

Holy Cow~......I already have a 1955/55 in AU58..so I could let that one go..It's a beaut though!image

I kinda like the idea of high grade key coins...
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    For an extra grand or so you could stretch to acquire this beauty -

She rang up $6,038 in the recent Bowers auction.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,684 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have to second claw's advice. Anyone of those coins would be an excellent addition to a collection, actually, they would be a great collection centerpiece.
  • Options
    You might consider a 1793 Chain Cent in G+ / VG.... A very historical coin, and absolutley money in the bank.....
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Go for the gold. If not that, then 2 or 3 super high end coins. If not that then get a short set of mercs or walkers. Or get a key date.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭

156 each of the 2003 silver proof sets - image
  • Options
    au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭
    What's your objective - to collect nice coins to admire and enjoy or to make money in the short term?
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only person on this forum that has no interest in gold? While I can't make any suggestions re gold coins and don't know the pricing re Lincolns, if you like the lattre, I'd suggest some early S mint cents in MS 65 or 6 RD, but make sure they're really RD & true to the grade. I don't know what the 14 D goes for, but I'd get one of them before an 09 S VDB.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Kincoin (Kingofcoins) might have some kind of pi$$ing or deficating coin that $5,000 would buy.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why has no one suggested anything blue, red, or purple?

Or 2500 $2 bills?

I am shocked.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or to be serious..TWO fine 1795 dollars and then sell one to get your money back when EVERYBODY figures out that it is essentially a one year type AND a big ol silver dollar to boot.

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the Flying Eagle...but you may need a bit more $$$ than $7,500
    I sold a beaut....PR64 pcgs for over $14k at ANA
    my suggestion is to go with the key dates....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You sure wont get a 56 FE for 7500.00 unless its a lower grade<vf Buy what you like, but most key-dates are a solid investment right now. I would avoid the 09-s vdb, the 32-d washington in MS- 62 and lower, these coins I feel our at top of the peak currently.

Still room to move IMO 1877 Indian in AU or better, 1922 No"D" lincoln XF and higher, 1901-s Quarter, 1916 SLQ, 1889-cc $ in XF or better.

Buy nice original coins preferably graded by a major service.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file