Home U.S. Coin Forum

If you had 5k to spend on Classic US Gold coins, what would you buy

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

or recommend? Any undervalued or unappreciated dates that come to mind??? Asking for a friend :) Come on gold bugs.....a little help here!! Pre 1933 USA gold only!!

Comments

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd buy a nice AU $3 for around $2500 and then look at something else too... AU 1955DDO, VG 1795 50c, or Fugio cent...

...now that iv divulged my want list, please don't outbid me :wink:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice G$1.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better date Saint(s) in MS 64.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭

A $2 1/2 1911D strong D Indian in the best grade available for the price.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2024 2:22PM

Civil war era coin or the nicest branch mint you can find, a 1839-O quarter eagle would be my first choice. The only classic head quarter eagle minted at the New Orleans mint.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28, 2024 10:06AM

Been loading up whatever USG TC I can get that is slabbed PCGS / NGC, close to melt, and Nice AU or above. Then for retail sale to show customers, private clients. Sold a recent batch to a private investor client (WW3 Prepper).

Coins & Currency
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

$10 Indians 😵‍💫

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting timing on this post, I've been contemplating a 5K gold purchase for a work bench project and the melting pot... I want a couple $20's (+ bit more- cleaned, ex jewelry) and am stuck on trying to buy the dip or buy before another up turn.
    🤔

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

I have never owned or even priced gold coins. If I did have $5,000 dollars to play with I would try to determine if I could put together some sort of set with as many different denominations as possible. If nothing else I might learn what size gold coins i prefer. James

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

$10 Indians.

• Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the $20 Liberties on my wish list are under, if not well under 5k. There's several that are a few hundred under 5k though.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:
    I would buy 1st quarter 2025 OTM Puts in
    NIVIDIA
    GOOGLE
    AMAZON
    QQQ
    SBUX
    SAIA

Interesting mix. I can see the tech along with the Q's as a group but why the consumer discretionary as well?

• ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Relaxn said:
    NIVIDIA
    GOOGLE
    AMAZON
    QQQ
    SBUX
    SAIA

Interesting mix. I can see the tech along with the Q's as a group but why the consumer discretionary as well?

Can we please keep this topic on coins?

@Manorcourtman said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Relaxn said:
    NIVIDIA
    GOOGLE
    AMAZON
    QQQ
    SBUX
    SAIA

Can we please keep this topic on coins?

But then I'll never get my stock tip from @relaxn...
    😈

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

Motto New Orleans eagles seem like good values now days as golds spot has eroded much of their premiums. Esp the 1880s

• zer0manzer0man Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

AU+ classic $5

DOG acolyte

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 1895-S Morgan MS60
    Or
    1911-D strong D in nicest coin you can find in the AU range

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

I also would go for the best 1911 Strong D quarter eagle I could get. I’ve been giving thought to pursuing a set of indian quarter eagles.

• KoveKove Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭✭

1889 $3 gold in 62

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EaglesWin52 said:
    1895-S Morgan MS60
    Or

@hummingbird_coins I'm curious why you gave this post a LOL.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want an 1854-S $1

Steve

• EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭✭✭

it really depends on whether you are looking to put together a collection or for short or long term investments. If you are looking to put a nice gold collection then I recommend spending the money putting together a nice gold type set. If you are looking for ST or LT investment and you believe gold is going up in value, then buy some $20 gold coins and hold it. Of course $5k won't get much in a type set so you will have to add more money with time. Just my 2 cents here.

Easton Collection
  • CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can find any nice, original AU Charlotte or Dahlonega $5, buy it! If you find one and decide not to purchase, please let me know.

Got Crust....y gold?
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could get the highest grades for your money with the Liberty and late date Indian $2.50 gold coins in grades like MS-64. The Gray Sheet falls in the $575 each range.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, there are a bunch of options that $5k will get you in gold.
    One would be a couple common Type 3 DEs (ex, 1904) that could be obtained in 62+ and even in a rattler or OGH, with CAC approval.
    >
    Also, smaller Southern mint issues should be available that are not extremely rare but still offering originality. Be patient and selective.

I'd get a couple of nice slabbed double eagles in MS63. I think the future for gold will be bright. Pun intended.

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• NorthStarNorthStar Posts: 50 ✭✭

I've always been a fan of the $5 dollar Indians. I'd look for a 1908-S CAC coin. First year of issue and always in demand as such. I understand that in many ways it's not as sexy as an earlier classic issue!

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you say classic, I’m thinking pre 1834

Doug
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a Charlotte or Dahlonega gold coin. Maybe a pioneer Bechtler or Reid if I could swing it.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DMWJR said:
    When you say classic, I’m thinking pre 1834

My first thought was 34-39.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not like buying gold when it is near all time highs. If I had to buy $5K in gold, I would look for a lower grade capped bust half eagle.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dahlonega $5 to finish the mint mark set.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@EaglesWin52 said:
    1895-S Morgan MS60
    Or

@hummingbird_coins I'm curious why you gave this post a LOL.

Morgan Dollar is not Classic US Gold

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

What would I recommend? Dunno, what ever the buyer is turned on by.

What would I go for? A PCGS Gold CAC 1906S $20 in AU55.

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably a Pan Pac $2.50 in MS64

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@anablep said:

It's hard to justify the $5,000 price tag when MS64
    1905 LEWIS & CLARK POP 714+15 @ $1,850.00
    $2 1/2 PAN-PAC POP 741+10 @ $5,250.00
    1917 MCKINLEY POP 874+7 @ $725.00

@DisneyFan said:

@anablep said:

It always comes down to supply and demand. That coin is larger and has a very cool design while the other two coins are smaller and show the heads of two dead guys. Check the value and population of the fairly common 1907 High Relief Saints.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@DisneyFan said:

@anablep said:

It always comes down to supply and demand. That coin is larger and has a very cool design while the other two coins are smaller and show the heads of two dead guys. Check the value and population of the fairly common 1907 High Relief Saints.

Don't disagree; but, will the demand always be there for a coin costing almost 3 times more than four lower population gold commemorative? Yes, they are smaller. The Lewis and Clarks could be considered special because they are two headed coins. :smile: The design of the Grants' isn't so bad either.

@DisneyFan said:

@PerryHall said:

@DisneyFan said:

@anablep said:

Don't disagree; but, will the demand always be there for a coin costing almost 3 times more than four lower population gold commemorative? Yes, they are smaller. The Lewis and Clarks could be considered special because they are two headed coins. :smile: The design of the Grants' isn't so bad either.

And what if Ike$s become more popular than Morgan dollars in the future? What if future generations don't collect coins at all?

In a mature market, like the US, any change in collecting tastes would take a generation or more. If you question every purchase based on possible future value, especially the distant future, you'd never buy anything.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

The loveliest no motto Saint I could get me mitts on.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TimNH said:
    I've always been a 'type set' type, and much prefer getting a rare type than a higher grade or rarer date/mint mark.

Thus my pick would be (and indeed was) any one of these 3. OK they were all a shade over 5K, but not by much.

I agree with you, nice coins

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice St Gaudens.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't go wrong with a Nice $10.00 indian, especially a 1907.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

1869-s $20

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file