Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year I rolled 200+ rolls of pennys collected over the last 50+ years and still have 30 or more pounds of lincolns in containers. I use the square peanut plastic jugs as they are easier to pickup and not drop. lol
    I was going to the bank with the rolls and thought I'll go through a couple of rolls just to see how long it really takes and found it to be about 5 minutes a roll, so changed my mind and decided to go through the rolls just for the heck of it.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 10:04AM

Last Wednesday’s hunt: $300 in nickels, $250 in dimes, and $500 in halves produced one war nickel and one 40%er. The dime box was a skunk.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    W No. 24 from $100 in quarters. First W in a while. This is also my first Weir Farm W. I only have two left to complete the set.

P.S. Tomorrow is my birthday, so I’m planning on hitting the road and searching the banks. I have about eleven banks planned out, but I could spend all my money at one, so we’ll see how many I get to.

GL on your special Day!
    Happy early Birthday!
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    W No. 24 from $100 in quarters. First W in a while. This is also my first Weir Farm W. I only have two left to complete the set.

P.S. Tomorrow is my birthday, so I’m planning on hitting the road and searching the banks. I have about eleven banks planned out, but I could spend all my money at one, so we’ll see how many I get to.

Happy Birthday! Good luck!

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

Happy birthday and good luck!
    Mine is on Sunday and I have some unopened boxes on the way 🥹

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    @CRHer700 - No, not silver.

Awww man.

Plenty of silver in the ground do you have a metal detector yet 700?

Yes, I do, a vanquish 440. However, I seem to have the greatest difficulty in finding anywhere old that will let me search. I have found two wheaties, but no silver.

I haven't hunted around here much, but the first place I'd try is around the school or public park using mainly a screwdriver to pop coins out of the ground. I tried that with an entry level Garrett that I bought for my gf's father and had fun digging about 88 cents in change and dozens of bottle caps out of a local park. It was the first time I'd hunted in over 30 years. Thirty years ago, hunting around ball fields was fun, around the stands was a great source of change and often quarters. You'd also dig up a silver dime or two.

To get serious about finding some old coins, Coinscratch has the plan. Visit local libraries, look for old maps, autobiographies, or memoirs written about the area. Talk to old folks who lived in the area all their lives. Use social networks such as church and clubs to find people who know the town well. Then, try to superimpose these maps and locations on current maps using landmarks. I'd consider hunting underwater as well.

3 rim nicks away from Good

@Barberian said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    @CRHer700 - No, not silver.

Awww man.

Plenty of silver in the ground do you have a metal detector yet 700?

Yes, I do, a vanquish 440. However, I seem to have the greatest difficulty in finding anywhere old that will let me search. I have found two wheaties, but no silver.

I haven't hunted around here much, but the first place I'd try is around the school or public park using mainly a screwdriver to pop coins out of the ground. I tried that with an entry level Garrett that I bought for my gf's father and had fun digging about 88 cents in change and dozens of bottle caps out of a local park. It was the first time I'd hunted in over 30 years. Thirty years ago, hunting around ball fields was fun, around the stands was a great source of change and often quarters. You'd also dig up a silver dime or two.

To get serious about finding some old coins, Coinscratch has the plan. Visit local libraries, look for old maps, autobiographies, or memoirs written about the area. Talk to old folks who lived in the area all their lives. Use social networks such as church and clubs to find people who know the town well. Then, try to superimpose these maps and locations on current maps using landmarks. I'd consider hunting underwater as well.

I’m looking for a small leather pouch with several gold coins from the 1800s probably fell off the saddle bag during a long run up the creek.
    Then I’m also looking for a mason jar full of gold coins and other goodies that got buried in the backyard after the Great Depression.
    But for now I’m looking for my clothes got to get ready for work 😀

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 17, 2024 9:13AM

I've always been impressed with the stuff guys find hunting beaches, rivers and river crossings. The Maryland CBH find from a stream crossing was amazing, like watching a dream come true.

I forgot to mention any area where they are removing soil such as at construction sites. Check the dirt piles and stripped land. One thing I've realized is that coins usually get buried quite fast and can fall out of the detectors range in 50-100 years. Any way to get deeper will turn up older coins, obviously. Check around the banks of lakes as well. I found an AU58 1876-S dime sitting in a lake a foot or two from the bank - probably washed in from bank erosion.

3 rim nicks away from Good
    edited May 18, 2024 6:21AM

@joeykoins said:

@CRHer700 said:

GL on your special Day!
    Happy early Birthday!
    ;)

@Joe_360 said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:

Thanks guys, I had a great time and went to nine banks before I ran out of time and money. I haven't gone through it all yet, but I will post it in it's own thread. @Coinscratch , I can't wait to see yours. :)

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bit of a dry spell with the halves...last 10 boxes or so, no silver or anything interesting.

Today I grabbed a box of halves and a box of quarters from Chase...nothing.

But when I was getting the boxes my teller said "I have two halves in my drawer..."
    Both halves were fun stuff lol!

One 40% silver and one that looks like a migician's coin but really can't tell and can't get it open if it does open.
    The reverse is sunken, so a very high rim and a clear seam...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, this was the first thing I noticed. I've bounced mine off the counter top and they pop open.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Hey @OAKSTAR the dropping it on the counter trick worked. Never had one that I couldn't get open, thanks!

It's an Interesting one :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2024 3:07PM

There you go @Kurisu. Very nice! Glad it worked. 👍 👍

Have you found any other denominations?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@OAKSTAR said:
    There you go @Kurisu. Very nice! Glad it worked. 👍 👍

Have you found any other denominations?

Over the decades I'd say I've found 3 or 4...all halves.

Coins are Neato!

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 708 ✭✭✭✭✭

CR and MS hunters are awesome. You ladies and gents possess the spirits of fishermen. You do the research, hone your skills, identify the better times and places to engage, and then you cast your line and hope for the best. Eternal optimists against some tough odds. Them’s some special people right there. 👍🏻

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

@CRHer700 said:

@joeykoins said:

@CRHer700 said:

GL on your special Day!
    Happy early Birthday!
    ;)

@Joe_360 said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:

Thanks guys, I had a great time and went to nine banks before I ran out of time and money. I haven't gone through it all yet, but I will post it in it's own thread. @Coinscratch , I can't wait to see yours. :)

Patience, young grasshopper I’m waiting on new flips before even submitting. Can’t have the graders seeing smudges on perfectly clean coins. No distractions all attentions on details From the very first moment forming the very first opinions. Besides they both deserve it.
    Here’s a bad cell pic (s) of the next top pop :-)
    It is also shown above with the macro lens, but I had no luck with my current lighting system. Some of the coins were just too bright😎

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still going through the box of silver quarters. Found a die scratch? at the IBUS on the reverse motto of this 1957-P. You will also note I ended up with two no-date SLQ's too.

1957-P Washington Quarter

Close-up on the raised line scratch:

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finished box #2 today. Didn't find much. Two no date buffalos and 2 50 ORE coins from Denmark. I guess I'm ready for a trip to Eourope on the cheap. 😆😅😅🤣

Better luck next week with a box of half dollars and 2 more boxes of nickels.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Roll the bones, daddy needs a new pair of shoes! I need a No FG or several 66s, or one 67 would be more than enough.

@joeykoins said:

@Coinscratch said:
    Roll the bones, daddy needs a new pair of shoes! I need a No FG or several 66s, or one 67 would be more than enough.

Good Luck!
    ;)

Thank you 😊 they are sitting in there on my desk and I’m doing everything I can to avoid opening them, just got through mowing the yard lol. I gotta be in the right frame of mind For better or worse.

@Barbercoin said:
    That settles it! I’m gonna start searching again. Very tedious, but any find is exciting. Winter months are best, but who knows how long we’ll be kicking around? It’s free! I love shiny new coins and some can be quite high grade and some with unusual characteristics.

Thank you for your service!
    Be sure to post any finds and best of luck.

edited May 31, 2024 6:39PM

@jwp I recently had some 2023 rolls and found a couple to send in for grading. Those look decent enough you just need to find a clean one.

Edit, one page back.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch. I just listed it on BST. I'm accustomed to finding 3021 Ds, but this is the first time for an entire box of NIFCs ans also the 1st 2024 D JFKS.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

edited June 2, 2024 1:15PM

This one is for you @Coinscratch , I don’t often find coins if this quality. It even has a strikethrough on the reverse. What would you grade it?

@CRHer700 said:
    This one is for you @Coinscratch , I don’t often find coins if this quality. It even has a strikethrough on the reverse. What would you grade it?

I'd say very decent and especially for a wild one. The luster is great but so are the hits and the pic is too dark to be certain I'd guess 64/65. Nice find. Mine was from a mint set so it lived a sheltered life :)

67 for now!

Sometimes I think I'm luckier when I get very small batches...
    Just 10 rolls of quarters and 10 rolls of halves yesterday from a bank I don't often visit...

Coins are Neato!

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2024 9:23AM

@JWP said:
    Just went through 2 boxes of nickle and found these 2.

I just opened a box of half dollars and it looks like I 50 rolls of 2024 D JFKs. Now what do I do with this box. Any offers?

Hi bud,
    About the '24 Box.
    Check Ebay. See what is being offered over there. Then you can put figures on the box.
    Cool you found 2024's.
    I found 12, P and D, in a box about
    a month ago.
    It seemed like I was the first to track down the 24's, here on the forum?
    Now you got a whole box! Very cool.
    I forgot, someone was keeping a record???
    Also, occasionally, I like to Dip a near GEM silver when found. Like to REALLY see them Pop!
    ;)
    GL

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
    edited June 13, 2024 3:39PM

From $300 in nickels, $250 in dimes, and $500 in halves. Dimes were a skunk. Still no 90%ers.

• Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:
    This is from a box plus fifteen rolls. Both West Points have reverse wheel scratches.

)

@CRHer700 said:
    From $300 in nickels, $250 in dimes, and $500 in halves. Dimes were a skunk. Still no 90%ers.

I knew a guy who owned an armored car company and they had machines to collect silver dimes and quarters. He said most companies have them. They sell the $500 bags of silver in bulk.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file