Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    I found these S AU Quarter's while CRH.

Wow!

At least some appear to be AU. The only likely explanation is that an avid roll searcher released a bunch of his inferior S-mints bought from the mint along with those he had found in circulation. The implications are staggering really. But the most important is that there must be millions and millions of these in circulation.

Since many have mintages under half a million this would imply nice chBU coins are a lot tougher than most imagine. Many of those buyers of 100 coin bags might be saving only the nicest ten or twenty coins and spending the rest.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2024 6:24AM

Even if every single S-mint 2023 quarter were released to circulation they'd be six times harder to find than the W-mints and thirty five times harder to find than a 1916-D dime was in 1917.

People, generally, still aren't paying attention to what's in circulation, nor are they thinking much about moderns no longer in circulation.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve been distracted with my wheatie hoard, so I just finished last week’s weekly pickup. $300 in nickels and $750 in dimes produced 2 wars, and 5 silvers. The roll that the 1942 was in was really light, and surprised the heck out of me. It weighs only 1.96 grams and appear to have been dipped in acid or something.
    There were also two Canadian nickels and a Canadian dime that I posted in the foreign coins thread.

Post No. 511

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options

@JWP said:
    I just finished searching a box of quarter's and zip nada Zelch.
    Howeve, I found 2 War nickels (1944D) & 2 Buffalo's (1936 & a no date). Overall, it was a good Crh Session. 😁👍

Great job! The 44’-D is a hard one to find!

• Options

Box of $500 from last Wednesday: 2 S-Mints. The 2020 is the newest S-Mint that I have found.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    New box, roll#7 a 2019 W Guam and next roll#8 a 2020 W Weir Farm, so I thought this maybe a hott-box, but nothing after with 10 rolls left except I got my 1st 2024 Women's quarter.

That 2024 will go on my 2024 found coins list. If you find any more 2024 coins you can post them here: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1101352/new-2024-coins#latest

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Coin roll

and mint set hunting :)

How’d you get hold of my crap?

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fraz said:

@Coinscratch said:
    Coin roll

and mint set hunting :)

How’d you get hold of my crap?

I was told these came from an estate sell :D
    Just happened to be passing through town Yesterday when I noticed everyone setting up for the big two week antique show in Round Top, TX. I cleaned out his mint set offerings before he ever set up, show starts Thursday maybe.
    These guys are from Kansas but I might be making that part up. Somewhere not from round here.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

********MAJOR TIP*********

I guess it depends how proactive one is. If you guys live near any major airports, you might consider this.

Many airports have bank branched in the terminals before you go thru security. Many of these branches get coins from vending machine merchants....... You pickin' up what I'm puttin' down? You know the rest!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

I was told these came from an estate sell :D
    Just happened to be passing through town Yesterday when I noticed everyone setting up for the big two week antique show in Round Top, TX. I cleaned out his mint set offerings before he ever set up, show starts Thursday maybe.
    These guys are from Kansas but I might be making that part up. Somewhere not from round here.

So what dates are the souvenir sets? Are they still cheap?

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

Also, @Coinscratch , would you consider these prooflike? Even if they are not, what would they be worth if they did grade PL?

• Options

I got a very unusual coin today in change. It's a very well made 1977 quarter in nice mid-grade XF. It has only a little of the typical dings and gouges seen on almost all circulating coinage now days and it is confined to the shoulder on the obverse. There is a small rim ding at the "E" in "AMERICA".

this is a common date with a mintage of nearly half a billion but only about 200 million survive and almost every one of them is beaten up and worn out. Nearly half are fully culls rather than merely scratched and worn. 2/3rds of the coins in circulation are very weakly struck so design details never appeared on them to be worn off.

Despite the commonness and flaws of this coin it still stands out as the best early clad quarter I've seen in well over a year despite searching rolls.

Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@JWP said:
    I went through a box of Kennedy half $ & a box of nickels last night and this morning. The JFK half dollars were loaded with 2021 Ds which was expected. I found a few NIFCs like a 2013 and a few AU 1876-1776 coins. The nickel box was about the same
    Found some Nissan 40s ans 50s. I guess the prize was this parking lot No Date Buffalo 💩. I enjoyed the hunt and on the boxes of Cents, Nickels and Quarter next week. 🦨🦨 Hopefully better results next week.

It has a mintmark. Have you considered using ferric chloride to bring the date up?

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

New box, 2nd roll, 2020W V75 Bat. Nothing since with 5 rolls left. Hopefully, a new box tomorrow...

Just curious, if you were to get only a single W in a box, would you rather it be in roll #2 or roll #48?

• Options

@leothelyon said:
    I often do you find a comic strip dating back to 1973 in a near full roll set of uncirculated Roosevelt dimes?

Leo 🙂

Not very often and none yet :)
    Could be some interesting grades in there.

• Options

@Joe_360 said:
    New box, 2nd roll, 2020W V75 Bat. Nothing since with 5 rolls left. Hopefully, a new box tomorrow...

Just curious, if you were to get only a single W in a box, would you rather it be in roll #2 or roll #48?

Definitely roll No. 2. I like the thought that the box can hold something.

• Options

Last Week’s weekly pickup: $300 in nickels and $750 in dimes. Results were bad: 1 rosie from the dimes and 90% 2023-Ps in the nickels.

Also, this 1917 wheatie from a hunt on Saturday:

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2024 3:20PM

This is what I found in a box of nickels today. A 1943P, 2005 Bahamas 5 cent coin, and a 1972 Philly with a flat spot on the rim (?).

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember getting my orders from the mint in boxes just like this. That was in the 60's and 70s and maybe even the 80s.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP said:
    I remember getting my orders from the mint in boxes just like this. That was in the 60's and 70s and maybe even the 80s.

Yes, I’ve gotten boxes from the 80s too but I have also seen the older 60s and early 70s in just envelops.

These included nothing special which I’m imagining that if a person bought many boxes and only opened a few, he could tell if this particular batch is full of good or bad coins.

Keep on swinging :-)

• Options

Very interesting collection there @sedulous Couldn’t speak to the merc but best of luck with the rest. I know silver is going up though.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 7, 2024 3:39PM

@sedulous said:

>

• Tim

I'm thinking if not for that rim damage, she might have been close to a straight graded PO1. What do you think?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file