Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, it was a bust. A couple of lookers that is...

You might think 67 until you tilt and see the scrapes. It had potential at some point...

The ike, almost again and all you need here is 66. I give this one a 65 though.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2024 8:44PM

@Coinscratch I guess it was like trying to find the Willy Wonka Golden ticket. I would have bought the box just for the possible up-side. I brougt items like yours before and might do it again too.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    edited March 1, 2024 6:21AM

@OAKSTAR Were they all COPY Morgan dollars. I would have really circulated my blood.

• Options

@OAKSTAR They still look cool and I can see where I would have skipped a beat as well.

A while back at a local LCS I was rummaging through mint sets when the owner called out, "Hey do you like old pennies"?
    He brought out a box with the cardboard insert that holds like 100 rolls vertically and It had all different types of old paper rolls and such. At the time I didn't realize some old rolls were wrapped in foil and then paper. And I only saw the edges of a few of them and immediately thought it was silver.

At that point I was a lay down, I couldn't agree with his price quick enough (before he too realized there was silver and no telling what else) :D O' the joy!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    @Oaktree Were they all COPY Morgan dollars. I would have really circulated my blood ?

Yes, they all have COPY counter-stamps on the reverse.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKTREE BUMMER - I was hoping 1 was a real morgan. Your next visit to the bank will never be the same.

• Options

@JWP said:
    @OAKTREE BUMMER - I was hoping 1 was a real morgan. Your next visit to the bank will never be the same.

I even weight them to be sure. 🤣 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2024 10:40AM

@OAKSTAR said:
    I hit some of my regular banks today. One of the tellers asked me if I wanted some large dollars (Ike's I assumed). I really didn't want them, but it sounded like she wanted to get rid of them. So I said okay, how many do you have? She pulled out a sandwich ziploc bag from her draw. About $25.

I could see these were mixed in! My heart skipped a beat!! But it didn't take long for reality to set in. 🤣 😂

Are they silver though? That’s the real question!
    Sorry about that, things like that happen to everyone, including me. I have had these before:

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options

@CRHer700 - No, not silver.

• Options

Oh yeah, I also have had these:

And this 128 GB micro SD card that I found the other day in a dime roll:

It had nothing on it, but it works!

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

Awww man.

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Awww man.

Plenty of silver in the ground do you have a metal detector yet 700?

• Options

this why i prefer OBW rolls. Customer wrapped rolls can be very questionable. the count is quite often short and the junk that people deliberately put is wrappers id almost criminal too.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Awww man.

Yes, I do, a vanquish 440. However, I seem to have the greatest difficulty in finding anywhere old that will let me search. I have found two wheaties, but no silver.

• Options

@JWP said:
    this why i prefer OBW rolls. Customer wrapped rolls can be very questionable. the count is quite often short and the junk that people deliberately put is wrappers id almost criminal too.

I actually like them for that, a lot of them have extra coins, and I like the foreign coins.

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Awww man.

Yes, I do, a vanquish 440. However, I seem to have the greatest difficulty in finding anywhere old that will let me search. I have found two wheaties, but no silver.

Trying to find good ground starts with good research. Google Earth your area, turn clock back as far as it will go - find landmarks and pin them then apply pinned map to latest sat. pic.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:

Yes very true! But I have found a roll of customer wrapped pennies with 43 pennies and 6 clad dimes for a total of $1.03 for a profit of 53 cents in one roll of pennies, However this is few and far between. My main concern is if the customer wrapped rolls have already been searched and it could be a big waste of time. The OBW rolls may be a waste of time also, but I would rather waste my time on BWR then customer wrapped. One of the tellers at my bank told me that she found a battery in place of dimes in a dime wrapper.

• Options

@rec78 said:

@JWP said:

Yes very true! But I have found a roll of customer wrapped pennies with 43 pennies and 6 clad dimes for a total of $1.03 for a profit of 53 cents in one roll of pennies, However this is few and far between. My main concern is if the customer wrapped rolls have already been searched and it could be a big waste of time. The OBW rolls may be a waste of time also, but I would rather waste my time on BWR then customer wrapped. One of the tellers at my bank told me that she found a battery in place of dimes in a dime wrapper.

Say what you will about customer wrapped rolls because yes they can and will be previously searched.
    And you should be able to pick up on this within a few rolls but you will Never find a 69s ddo in an original bank roll from 2007, ie.
    It could turn up in a fed roll depending on how it was received from the customer. Did the customer wrap their rolls or just head down to the Coinstar.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@rec78 said:

@JWP said:

Say what you will about customer wrapped rolls because yes they can and will be previously searched.
    And you should be able to pick up on this within a few rolls but you will Never find a 69s ddo in an original bank roll from 2007, ie.
    It could turn up in a fed roll depending on how it was received from the customer. Did the customer wrap their rolls or just head down to the Coinstar.

From 65 years of coin roll hunting experience-usually I get circulated rolls, not BU rolls. The BRW's are usually more productive. But it is more possible to get a collection dump in customer wrapped rolls.
    Even searched rolls can be productive sometimes because the previous searcher may have been looking for other dates and varieties then I am. Certain varities may not interest some searchers.

Another thing to notice is that a lot of varieties are disappearing quickly as more and more coin roll searchers are showing up. A lot of collectors are also pulling out the old copper pre-1983 cents. I do not save these. I will be long gone from this earth before it becomes legal to melt them down.

• Options
    edited March 3, 2024 7:11PM

@Kurisu said:

@joeykoins said:
    Two very cool finds!
    Cud

Cool Joey! I found the same variety about 2 years ago! :smiley:

Cool! I have found a different one;

Are yours both Ps?

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Kurisu said:

@joeykoins said:
    Two very cool finds!
    Cud

Cool Joey! I found the same variety about 2 years ago! :smiley:

Cool! I have found a different one;

Are yours both Ps?

Mine is.
    🙂

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prior $500 box yield 2 S mint, no W and no silver, just finished the latest box, complete skunk shutout, No W's. No S's and no silver... Hope pick up a new box tomorrow and change my luck...

• Options

@JWP said:
    I found these S AU Quarter's while CRH.

Were those all in one box?
    If so, that’s got to be a record for our forum.

• Options

Yes in one box.

• Options

@JWP said:
    Yes in one box.

WOW!

That’s amazing! Must have been someone’s saved rolls!

• Options

@CRHer700 said:

@JWP said:
    Yes in one box.

WOW!

That’s amazing! Must have been someone’s saved rolls!

I had the same thought too.

• Options

@JWP said:

Would these be someone’s culls from looking for a high grade?

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@JWP said:

Would these be someone’s culls from looking for a high grade?

I don't think so. they look far better in hand that the photos. These were probably dumped by someone that was clearing an estate sale and just cashed out. I don't know what the trail was from the owner to LOOMIS was, but they may have used the heavy plastic bags that you dump loose coins in and he bank sends them out to be counted and they end up being rolled as OBW rolls.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good find JWP - But you are gonna need to find a few more to get a Filet-O-Fish and fries on Friday at McDonalds! :D
    Helluva find!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    Hey R, I found your half.

How do you find so many punched coins?

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Kurisu said:
    Hey R, I found your half.

How do you find so many punched coins?

I'm not making them, I swear! :p
    ...Must be a Denver-ish thing. Because I do find quite a few in a variety of denominations.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

I have come across a few counter-stamped coins. Most are4 modern coins, usually cents.

• Options

I just finished off a box of quarters, and this was what I found. A 2019 W AMP, and a 2020 MBR MS Pawn Shop token. Ha ha 😄🙂

• Options

The clip does look better in hand, so I'll post more pics later.

• Options

I’ve had no time for hunting lately so once I get back into it, maybe something nice.
    I should be done selling everything I am selling within another month.
    And I’m pretty stoked my 90 day total is approaching 11,000 😁

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the clip. Could be. Then may have received some circulation damage to confuse authentication.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file