Home U.S. Coin Forum

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kurisu said:
    I'm thinking struck through...

Pretty unlikely. This is a common phenomenon on half dollars of the era. I believe that the die simply didn't fill properly.

Tempus fugit.
  • MtW124MtW124 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

14th roll into my third box of nickels from last Thursday's bank run. 1952 D DDO

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barbercoin said:
    Found this in a roll recently. Worth keeping just to show someone I found something different. Broke up the boredom too! Somebody had to extra time on their hands to make this! ;)

Well that's different.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still a super rare thing for me.
    I'm thinking it's like one silver quarter per 40-50 boxes, a couple a year or so.
    This happened to be from only 6 rolls today from the Credit Union.
    I went in as they were closing so they weren't able to take anything out of the safe.
    I grabbed all the rolls my teller still had.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2024 5:01PM

@Kurisu said:
    Still a super rare thing for me.
    I'm thinking it's like one silver quarter per 40-50 boxes, a couple a year or so.
    This happened to be from only 6 rolls today from the Credit Union.
    I went in as they were closing so they weren't able to take anything out of the safe.
    I grabbed all the rolls my teller still had.

Great find! I still haven't found a silver quarter other than in the coinstar this year.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MtW124 said:
    14th roll into my third box of nickels from last Thursday's bank run. 1952 D DDO

Notice how you can still find old coins in nice condition and aren't all scratched up.

It's almost impossible to find something like a 1966 or '71 nickel that isn't in deplorable condition and just covered in
    scratches. People end their collections at 1964 so don't notice.

Nice coin by the way. These are not so common in any condition.

Tempus fugit.
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2024 7:45PM

Close but no cigar! Although 65 covers grading.

• MtW124MtW124 Posts: 398 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @cladking , sometimes I go to fast and have to tell myself to slow down so I don’t miss something.

Two cigars :)

• CregCreg Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2024 10:23AM

.> @CRHer700 said:

@Creg said:
    Nice surprise this morning from the till at the CU—

He finds more bens in a day than I have in almost a year.

The cashiers audit them into to their cash trays at the end of the until I show up. There were 17 halves, all the clad were 1971, and 20 Ikes, all 1971.

New policy at CU forbids gifts. It’s donuts now.

@Creg said:
    .> @CRHer700 said:

@Creg said:
    Nice surprise this morning from the till at the CU—

He finds more bens in a day than I have in almost a year.

The cashiers audit them into to their cash trays at the end of the until I show up. There were 17 halves, all the clad were 1971, and 20 Ikes, all 1971.

New policy at CU forbids gifts. It’s donuts now.

Where I am at least a quarter of people ask for half dollars when they are at the bank. They don't even know which ones are silver, they just accumulate them. I only have had one 1966 half and nothing else from the tray all year.

I have met a dozen half-dollar roll searchers at the free Coinstar at the CU. None search for anything but silver.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    Just went through abox of nickels and found 3 nice nickels. A 1937 Buffalo nickel & 2. War Nickels - 1943- S & 1944- P. 😃😀

I also went through a box of half dollars. The rolls were all 2024-D JFKs. Now I have 63 AU JFK rolls and may have to return them to the Credit Union. 🥲

Regarding the 63 rolls. You could have another giveaway.😆

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@Creg said:
    I have met a dozen half-dollar roll searchers at the free Coinstar at the CU. None search for anything but silver.

Free Coinstar? CU? High Old Silver! 🤠

@Coinscratch said:

@Creg said:

That was the point of the post I made about the box of half-dollars that I searched. The halves in my box had been searched, marked up, and almost sorted (it was sordid).
    This is a small town, but a it’s a rich village with a large retired population—one bank and one CU (on this edge of the county). I see two or three half hunters a week.
    YouTube videos guide them; one dude said that he does it so that his family thinks that he is doing something to stave off “the dementia” (too little too…?) . Another told me he razors the wrap, looks at the edges and tosses them into a bucket—fifteen minutes per box—keeps a weekly open order to the bank for the boxes of halves.
    The free Cionstar pulls draws folk from all over, the halves don’t go far, get new wraps, and recirculate once more, (no more halves from here for me).
    Some day one of them will admit to the Sharpie tags he leaves on the coins, (I eliminated carton cutter guy).
    The CU leaves a card for non-members to access the machine. I deposit my returns in my account. I only bother the CU for the coins that they save for me.
    Can we order from Loomis or Wells Fargo and have them delivered to our home?

@Creg said:

@Coinscratch said:

@Creg said:

That was the point of the post I made about the box of half-dollars that I searched. The halves in my box had been searched, marked up, and almost sorted (it was sordid).
    This is a small town, but a it’s a rich village with a large retired population—one bank and one CU (on this edge of the county). I see two or three half hunters a week.
    YouTube videos guide them; one dude said that he does it so that his family thinks that he is doing something to stave off “the dementia” (too little too…?) . Another told me he razors the wrap, looks at the edges and tosses them into a bucket—fifteen minutes per box—keeps a weekly open order to the bank for the boxes of halves.
    The free Cionstar pulls draws folk from all over, the halves don’t go far, get new wraps, and recirculate once more, (no more halves from here for me).
    Some day one of them will admit to the Sharpie tags he leaves on the coins, (I eliminated carton cutter guy).
    The CU leaves a card for non-members to access the machine. I deposit my returns in my account. I only bother the CU for the coins that they save for me.

CU? I think you have to have a business account with the armored car companies, and only Joey searches that much to warrant such. 😂

edited July 24, 2024 6:17AM

@Coinscratch said:

CU? I think you have to have a business account with the armored car companies, and only Joey searches that much to warrant such. 😂

My coin dealership will offer grading, encapsulating, and stickering—does that count?

@Coinscratch said:

@Creg said:

@Coinscratch said:

@Creg said:

That's not true, I'm still going to post pictures for the last three weeks, sometime.......

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    Two weeks ago silver quarter finds:

First year of issue Washington, too bad no mint mark... Nice haul!

@Joe_360 said:

@rec78 said:

I thought that was 1932.

• Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@Joe_360 said:

@rec78 said:

I thought that was 1932.

Ahhh, yes, I thought that it was a 2, glasses were off... lol

@Joe_360 said:

@CRHer700 said:

@Joe_360 said:

@rec78 said:

I thought that was 1932.

Ahhh, yes, I thought that it was a 2, glasses were off... lol

Sorry to nitpick about it. I'm not trying to insult your eyesight.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,083 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 are you checking the 39,46 47, & 53 P nickels for the henning conterfeit type?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

Granny rolls. My em-in-law tapes rolls too. I don’t do dime often, but they saved these for me at the CU. They’re looking out for me.

@JWP said:
    @CRHer700 are you checking the 39,46 47, & 53 P nickels for the henning conterfeit type?

I don't know how to. I have not seen a guide on them.

@Creg said:
    Granny rolls. My em-in-law tapes rolls too. I don’t do dime often, but they saved these for me at the CU. They’re looking out for me.

What's in them?

@CRHer700 said:

What's in them?

AU-MS 70s-90s, latest year was 2005—no FB. One good example of the missing clad layer affliction.
    Album filler rolls, many dates.

I can't stop looking at the philly above, still shaking my head.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file