Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post a picture of a roughly 10K anything..,

Comments

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd purchase a parking lot. Then all those parking lot finds would be mine.😆. Seriously, the finest 55DD in that price range.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MarkKelley said:
    This is my wife running a 10K.

You have 4 wives?

But come divorce time you might have to divide up the coins 4 ways.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 10, 2024 2:04AM

No $10K nothin’ in my collection. Nor is there ever likely to be, unless I seriously downsize and roll everything into a tiny vestpocket collection (maybe another Box of 20 with just a handful of biggies). But I do not foresee myself doing that.

Right now I top out in the $3Ks for an individual coin, with only three pieces in that range. I can count on my fingers the number of $2K+ coins I own, and just a few years ago I couldn’t even claim anything over the $1K threshold.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crepidodera said:
    I paid exactly 10K for this coin two years ago. Three years ago, the coin was brought into a coin shop raw.
    PCGS VF30 CAC

Perfect CircCam eye appeal on that one- congrats!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my end of the pond, $10k is an ocean away! I've got a little over that figure in my entire 7070... the Seated Dollars are $1k coins... I've got a couple of $2k coins in my Box of 20... but I doubt I'll ever put $10k into a single coin.

...unless I hit the lottery and a nice problem free Chain Cent becomes available... :wink:

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I translated your thread title literally as asking to see 10,000 pieces of something, such as a $1,000 bag of dimes.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2024 6:21PM

@renomedphys said:

Exactly what I paid

That is a strange bike. 1 x 12? That's a tiny chainring with a major rear cluster and derailleur. Do you climb cliffs with that bike?

Here's another strange bike with four times 10K miles on it. (an XXL, 73-inch wheelbase Easy Racers Tour Easy)
    "She's BIG, BIG, BIG!
    She's RED, RED, RED! -
    BIG RED!"

OK, that was strange.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

It is a Fraser. Someday I would like to get a Remington.

I've got one of those....I think. It can't be worth that much, can it? Yikes!

jom

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bail money ?

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    Bail money ?

That chicken feather is worth big money.

God bless all who believe in him. Do unto others what you expect to be done to you. Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24. Founding member of CU Anti-Troll League since 9/24/24.

@CRHer700 said:

@emeraldATV said:
    Bail money ?

You don't like my chicken and pen ?

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Clackamas1 said:

It is a Fraser. Someday I would like to get a Remington.

Nice, if you want to see the 1915 plaster version of End of the Trail created by Fraser come to OKC for the 2025 WFoM show and visit the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.

Philippians 4:4-7

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog: AWESOME! Coin $$$$ well spent!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hfjacinto: that’s a real beauty!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:

@CRHer700 said:

@emeraldATV said:
    Bail money ?

You don't like my chicken and pen ?

Tarred and feathered ?

• RonsandersonRonsanderson Posts: 115 ✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2024 4:19PM

I’m with @lordmarcovan . Other than my house and cars, I have never owned anything worth $10,000.

My values were formed when I had no allowance and was mowing huge lawns for $3.00. Money was too hard to come by - if I spent it, I wouldn’t have it, and it was too hard to get more.

I totally freaked out in high school when my friends wanted to play poker for nickels. I could not afford to part with a dollar. Too rich for my blood!

Would this be the Carson City mm ? While were on the subject. Thank you.

• renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2024 11:31AM

@Barberian said:

@renomedphys said:

Exactly what I paid

That is a strange bike. 1 x 12? That's a tiny chainring with a major rear cluster and derailleur. Do you climb cliffs with that bike?

Uh, yes. Yes I do. The main purpose of my gravel bike is for the “B” and “C” trails that present as boring on my mountain bike. BTW my mountain bike is also 1x12, with a 28 tooth front chainring for climbing actual cliffs. Hers’s that one. Cost was well over $10k and it weighs about 37 lbs with heavy tires, Cush Core inserts, and coil coil suspension.

And here’s a shot of my Levo behind my house on it’s first ride back in Feb ‘22. It was retail at $15k but I’ve put a lot more into it since then 🤪🤑

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    My car used to be worth $10K once. It's ideal security for large coin shows. Nobody will touch it.

looks like you got it One Piece at a Time... https://youtube.com/watch?v=uErKI0zWgjg

• QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 333 ✭✭✭✭

My wife just ran her first 10k! I’m counting that.

I just sold this for a little more than 2x 10k

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oreville said:
    Now celebrating its 150th anniversary in 2022!

$9500 plus the 17.5% juice.

this cancelled die has a very interesting history. So interesting and so nice that i decided to win it and take it home.

I had Todd take pictures of it as the Stacks Bowers pictures were very ordinary.

Hopefully, after he gets his 400 hours of sleep from the aftermath of this ANA show he can post the picture(s)

Here is the first one:

Lot #11772. Cancelled Obverse Die for the 1872-CC Liberty Double Eagle.

Cancelled 1872-CC Double Eagle Obverse Die
    Description: Size: 2 1/2" high, 1 3/4" diameter, actual die face 1 5/16" across. Deep steel-gray with chiseled X across the die face, single C stamped on neck of die.

Found in Washoe County, Nevada, in January 1999 during development of a new park on the grounds of the old Carson City Mint-Nevada State Museum. The present die was found under a thin layer of earth along with literally hundreds of other discarded dies from the hay-day of Nevada's capital city mint. The theory behind the discovery of the hoard is simple. At some point, an old wooden shed was outside the mint's blacksmith shop. As each calendar year ended, the books were tallied and dies of the year were cancelled with a chisel and discarded in the shed near the blacksmith shop, covered by earth and trash and then forgotten. During the discovery in 1999, numerous dies were found dating from the 1870s, including the present 1872-dated double eagle obverse die. A pair of dies, obverse and reverse, were found for an 1876-CC half dollar; these dies were in excellent shape, given the circumstances, and were used to make impressions on silver bars and other items for collectors.

The presently offered die will make an excellent addition to a Carson City Mint-related collection or an advanced double eagle cabinet.

Numismatic Reflections by Q. David Bowers
    Without a doubt this will be a show-stopper at a convention, club meeting, or other event where collectors gather. Carson City Mint double eagles are rare enough in their own right, with 1872-CC being a key issue, but having a die is an almost impossible situation. What a nice go-with this will be to a collection of Carson City Mint coinages.

This is the original Stacks Bowers auction photo which I found in their restored auction archives.

To go with your die, about the threshold too

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file