Home U.S. Coin Forum

Dan Carrs latest

Comments

• TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭

@SPalladino said:
    Grades back from an ANACS submission. Thank you to @Nickpatton for selling me the MS69 DCAM Amazonian Assay Office (mintage 16 with proof-like finish). And thank you to Dan for the wonderful creations!

What is the "HC" in the superlative column?

• NickpattonNickpatton Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

@TorinoCobra71 said:

@SPalladino said:
    Grades back from an ANACS submission. Thank you to @Nickpatton for selling me the MS69 DCAM Amazonian Assay Office (mintage 16 with proof-like finish). And thank you to Dan for the wonderful creations!

I believe it’s DCAM……. Deep Cameo ‼️👍

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2024 9:17AM

@TorinoCobra71 said:

@SPalladino said:

I believe ANACS uses Heavy Cameo.

I just looked it up...

DCAM - Heavy Cameo - Contrast - Proof Coins and SMS Coins

https://anacs.com/faqs/

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

@TorinoCobra71 said:

@SPalladino said:

I believe ANACS uses Heavy Cameo.

I just looked it up...

DCAM - Heavy Cameo - Contrast - Proof Coins and SMS Coins

https://anacs.com/faqs/

HC is the superlative on the grade report, DCAM is the designation on the label.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor

Unboxing video for the Flowing Hair and Amazonian Assay Office submission: https://youtu.be/vGFNWohoGao

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Out of all these DC pieces, is there a way to know which ones are 1/0?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@OAKSTAR said:
    Out of all these DC pieces, is there a way to know which ones are 1/0?

Not sure that I understand - assuming that you mean graded populations, as in top pop / none higher?

If so, the ANACS graded pieces can be found in the pop report -> USA -> Token -> Patterns MS (or Patterns proof) -> date -> MM

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • Alpha2814Alpha2814 Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

...ANACS graded pieces can be found in the pop report...

Take these numbers with a grain of salt. ANACS is not very consistent with their categorizations -- some types are lumped together while others are split. I'm betting they're also susceptible to crack-and-resubmit in hopes of an upgrade.

@OAKSTAR said:
    So if I'm doing this data pull correctly and reading this data correctly, not only is this Red 08-S-VDB Over Struck on a 44 w/rim clip top pop 1/0 for this grade, it's the only one for the series? If I'm using the right terminology. Is that correct?

It is a pop 1/0 for the 1908-S-VDB Over Struck on a 44 w/rim clip because Dan's production notes verifies it as so.
    The ANACS report suggests that of the 231 high grade 1908-S VDB pieces that Dan produced, apparently only one has been submitted.
    And, the ANACS report suggests that of the 226 bag handled / antiqued 1908-S VDB pieces that Dan produced, apparently only 27 have been submitted, all grading out at 58.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

@Alpha2814 said:

...ANACS graded pieces can be found in the pop report...

Take these numbers with a grain of salt. ANACS is not very consistent with their categorizations -- some types are lumped together while others are split. I'm betting they're also susceptible to crack-and-resubmit in hopes of an upgrade.

Agreed. But then one can make a strong case that all population reports, from any TPG, should be taken with a grain of salt.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    edited June 5, 2024 12:28PM

@SPalladino said:

@OAKSTAR said:
    So if I'm doing this data pull correctly and reading this data correctly, not only is this Red 08-S-VDB Over Struck on a 44 w/rim clip top pop 1/0 for this grade, it's the only one for the series? If I'm using the right terminology. Is that correct?

Where did you get these numbers?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

@OAKSTAR said:

@SPalladino said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Where did you get these numbers?

In your own post of Dan's production notes. However, the one you posted appears to be old, meaning that I erred. It should be:

The ANACS report suggests that of the 353 high grade 1908-S VDB pieces that Dan produced, apparently only one has been submitted.
    And, the ANACS report suggests that of the 226 bag handled / antiqued 1908-S VDB pieces that Dan produced, apparently only 27 have been submitted, all grading out at 58.

Source: http://www.moonlightmint.com/blog_20.htm

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member

Jeezzzzz! I totally missed these small numbers! Sorry! Thanks!! 👍

• robecrobec Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    Grades are in, both graded 69, very pleased with the grades.
    Huge shout out to Robec, he provided me with all the needed submission info... :)

Well, there goes my Pop 1/0 on the Matte! :'( Seriously, Congratulations on 2 great scores. I only passed on to you the info @philographer passed on to me. It looks like they had a tough time photographing the Matte.

• Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those would always have a loving home in my Carr Archive !!!

Just say'n, in case you ever desire to rehome them Chief ?

I've never submitted a thing to PCGS. Own their slabbed products, but, through the hands and efforts of others.

Lindy in Colorado

@Bullsitter said:
    Grades are in, both graded 69, very pleased with the grades.
    Huge shout out to Robec, he provided me with all the needed submission info... :)

• alefzeroalefzero Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outstanding. I might need to look for one too!

Just received my 1929-S, 1930-D, 1932-D, and 1933-S Peace dollars back from ANACS. Here's the unboxing video: https://youtu.be/9fCbK12h49o

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible ones @Bullsitter . I'm still looking the 64 Peace to accompany my 64 Morgan.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had to take a pass of Chief's cool PCGS PEACE so message him as my fun fundies went elsewheres.

edited June 24, 2024 8:03PM

FYI, four of the Morgan/Peace High Grade odd dates from this year are currently available. If you missed out before, here's another opportunity.

I originally ordered 2 of each. Got 2 of each, except the 29-S Peace (only 1 arrived), and that one isn't among the four. Two of each of them are sufficient for me. The second is just in case of a 69 from ANACS on one.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    FYI, four of the Morgan/Peace High Grade odd dates from this year are currently available. If you missed out before, here's another opportunity.

I originally ordered 2 of each. Got 2 of each, except the 29-S Peace (only 1 arrived), and that one isn't among the four. Two of each of them are sufficient for me. The second is just in case of a 69 from ANACS on one.

Are you still missing a "1929-S" Peace that you ordered but did not receive ?

@dcarr said:

@alefzero said:

Yeah. I didn't notice a compromised parcel. But I really didn't look too closely for that when I opened it.

edited June 27, 2024 6:57PM

Saw this over on the USMINT website today‼️

Back in March, when Jeff Shelvin had his 11th Gathering at Moonlight Mint, we went on a “field trip “ to the Denver Mint, and the Director of the Mint came out to greet us at the end of the tour, and she talked a while about the mint, and she said she was going to share a secret that the public didn’t know, and told us that day back in March that the Mint was planning on making a Flowing Hair commemorative .
    When we got back to Dan’s Moonlight Mint, I saw Dan and told him what the mint director said, then I said,” Good thing she doesn’t know that you (Dan),already beat the Mint on it‼️‼️‼️👍🎯
    She didn’t say it was gonna be made out of gold‼️

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

When we got back to Dan’s Moonlight Mint, I saw Dan and told him what the mint director said, then I said,” Good thing she doesn’t know that you (Dan),already beat the Mint on it‼️‼️‼️👍🎯
    She didn’t say it was gonna be made out of gold‼️

I like Dan's 1792/1793 dates better than the 2024 used by the Mint.... B)

• COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

...She didn’t say it was gonna be made out of gold‼️

There's a silver version too:

https://catalog.usmint.gov/230th-anniversary-flowing-hair-silver-medal-24YH.html

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@COCollector said:

...She didn’t say it was gonna be made out of gold‼️

There's a silver version too:

https://catalog.usmint.gov/230th-anniversary-flowing-hair-silver-medal-24YH.html

Thanks, I didn’t see that.
    Bet Dan’s are nicer…….. wish the USMINT put pics of them up‼️

Yeah. The gold one is a COIN, while the silver one is a MEDAL. Legislative semantics are important for them. I have been waiting for them to open up subscriptions ever since it was announced last year. Some are question whether it will come to pass with the volatility of the metals prices and potential supply issues.

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:

@dcarr said:

@alefzero said:

Yeah. I didn't notice a compromised parcel. But I really didn't look too closely for that when I opened it.

Can you send me a Private Message with your original order number ?

• jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

2 new items are up.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Already sold out? That is what it shows.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the Antique 1792 dollar is still available, but the 1/10th oz Palladium (Max mintage of 30) is sold out

Thanks for the Heads up @jshaulis

It's all about what the people want...

• jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭

Still show "1792" Flowing Hair over-strike, on USA Silver Eagle Dollar, Antiqued/Matte Finish which I believe is new as well. The other is sold out and limited to 30.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago, Rob41281

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2024 2:36PM

Only 2 of the Flowing Hair over-strikes left as of 4:36 CST.

edited July 5, 2024 9:12AM

@PipestonePete said:
    Only 8 of the Flowing Hair over-strikes left.

Thanks for the heads-up. Order placed.

Love the 1792 Flowing Hair overstrike. Wonderful old-school design.

Especially glad the 1792's “STRUCK ON A USA SILVER EAGLE DOLLAR” statement is edge marked -- unlike the 1793, which has that statement marring an otherwise beautiful Reverse design.

And I believe the 1792 is Dan's first time offering a matte finish that's also antiqued.

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

@dcarr said:
    ...But this is the first time that I have offered two different antiqued finishes on the same basic item. So I needed to call each one something different this time:

"Antiqued/Circulated": A brilliant stain piece that is tumbled in a certain way to produce a lightly circulated aged appearance, without getting them all beat up.

"Antiqued/Matte": A brilliant stain piece that is bead-blasted, with patina applied, and then burnished to lighten the higher areas of the relief.

Thanks for the correction and for describing the processes.

Can't wait to see the antiqued/matte in-hand. I'm guessing it'll be my favorite of the three 1792 versions. Certainly it'll be a rarity in my Carr collection -- I've only one other matte piece, a 1964-D Morgan.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file