Home Sports Talk

Boston Red Sox Thread

Comments

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭

They keep losing players to the injured list. It seems that they lose at least a couple every month. There is no way they will make the playoffs that way so its almost time to say wait till next year as pretty soon they will be down to AAA players.

But just remember that the Red Sox are still in the race for the wild card in the American League and will have a good shot at it as they get some of their players back and manage to pick up 1 or 2 good players they could do well in the playoffs.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭

Theyve had a bunch of injuries, but so has pretty much everyone. With the shortended pitch clock, taking a lot of the sticky stuff away and super smooth balls pitchers are having to grip the balls harder which puts more stress on the elbow. Pitchers are dropping like flys around the league

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited June 1, 2024 10:06PM

Oneill and Grissom go down on the injured list today.
    Valdez called up and hits 2 homers.
    Abreu and Valdez were the 2 players they got in return for Vazquez last year.
    Pretty good trade for the Red Sox.
    But they can't keep getting these injuries.

I am not sure it is quite time to throw in the towel on the Red Sox, The young players still want to win this year and are putting up a fight. I am not saying they are going to win the World Series but a lot of things can happen if the injuries stop happening and the young players keep getting better. As you say it's a marathon and it's only 9 miles into it and a key player or two that now has the lead can stumble in the next 16 miles.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

They are playing the worst team in baseball, no need to get over excited. Even with two wins, they're still 12.5 GB.
    The Yankees have won 8 in a row...hard to top that.

I know that for sure but the Yankees have also not lost any of their key hitters yet either like they do every year. Right now they are the team to beat in the Am league .
    I am not overly excited and just would like them to get some of their better players back from the IL to see what kind of play they are capable of playing beside making the games more excited to watch. The other teams are having injury problems too.

More injuries for both the Sox and Yankees, Yankees Soto has an arm injury and Sox reported leg injuries to Devers, Gonzales and Abreau.

The Red Sox are doing great and I love what. the rookies are doing.

Anybody ready to hop on the bandwagon with me yet? They are only 1/2 game out for the wild card are playing great baseball ! Duran and Rafaela are going to be superstars!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great come from behind W today

The Reds inept base running pretty much handed the game to the Red Sox, as they could easily have scored more runs. A W is a W, nontheless. A nice comeback win for the Sox.

The Japanese "star", aka Masa, continues to play poorly, when in fact his bat could have done more since wearing the Red Sox uniform. The Red Sox brilliant management is in for $105.4 million for this guy. They had to give the Japanese Orix $15.4 MILLION just for a posting fee, and add on the $90 MILLION for 5 and it boils down to this...so far the Red Sox have paid Masataka $8,555,555 OR $111,111 per game for 77 games. For this the Red Sox have gotten a DH with a paltry .228 BA and a whopping 14 RBIs, and TWO home runs. He's beginning to look like Matsuzaka, the big failure of years ago.

These perennial low productive contracts cripple the Red Sox team over the years.

No, I'm not on any bandwagon, and am not too thrilled that they're 1/2 back in the Wildcard. Right now that means almost nada. The numbers continue to show the team is in a very deep hole, a recent flash of wins does not mean they are on their way to success.

What about what the young guns are doing right now ? They are what we should be concentrating on and they will be around for the long term and are carrying the team. There are more of them in the minor leagues that look good. Outfielders are pretty much set now. The Yankees are starting to lose players to injuries as was expected would happen.

Sox made me Money 💰 today

GO SOX!!!

@MCMLVTopps said:
    The Reds inept base running pretty much handed the game to the Red Sox, as they could easily have scored more runs. A W is a W, nontheless. A nice comeback win for the Sox.

The Japanese "star", aka Masa, continues to play poorly, when in fact his bat could have done more since wearing the Red Sox uniform. The Red Sox brilliant management is in for $105.4 million for this guy. They had to give the Japanese Orix $15.4 MILLION just for a posting fee, and add on the $90 MILLION for 5 and it boils down to this...so far the Red Sox have paid Masataka $8,555,555 OR $111,111 per game for 77 games. For this the Red Sox have gotten a DH with a paltry .228 BA and a whopping 14 RBIs, and TWO home runs. He's beginning to look like Matsuzaka, the big failure of years ago.

These perennial low productive contracts cripple the Red Sox team over the years.

No, I'm not on any bandwagon, and am not too thrilled that they're 1/2 back in the Wildcard. Right now that means almost nada. The numbers continue to show the team is in a very deep hole, a recent flash of wins does not mean they are on their way to success.

You are looking at numbers that are made up from early in the year that are not relevant with todays Red Sox. This team is working as one with Durant driving them. They are going to surprise all you doubters and kick some ass along the way.

The Red Sox are 9 games behind the Yankees and 7 1/2 back of Baltimore. Neither of these numbers are impossible to overcome with over half of the season left to play. The Sox are currently playing good baseball and still have more needed players coming off the injured list shortly. They are going to win this even though most of you are doubters.

You are looking at numbers that are made up from early in the year that are not relevant with todays Red Sox. This team is working as one with Durant driving them. They are going to surprise all you doubters and kick some ass along the way.

No, the numbers are all factual and not "made up", came from stats as of two days ago. I have no clue what you're talking about. And YES, they are relevant, as Masa is yet another overpaid and underperforming acquistion by the Red Sox.
    If he, as the DH had just gotten a few more key hits, the Red Sox would be in a much better position. Isn't the DH, the DH because of his hitting skills? I don't call 14 RBIs and 2 HRs in 78 games for what he's getting paid, much more than a minor league player.

No, they are not going to win much of anything. You are OBSESSED with this team. I do find it odd that when the team was playing poorly, you said nothing, no comment, no thoughts on why they weren't playing well. Now, when they're on a bit of a roll, you're a big cheerleader, claiming now "they are going to win this..." We'll see.

I like their chances!
    I know there are not many who believe in them but I do!
    I know about all of the dumb moves they have made over the years.
    I also have made some comments on individual bad performances about specific failures.
    I am in favor of using Matsu as trade bait and putting Devers in his place.
    I'm sure we could pick up a 3rd baseman, who can field, for him.
    Put Rafaela at SS and leave him there as we have enough outfielders.
    As you say, we shall see!

edited June 24, 2024 10:16PM

Rafaela and Duran and all the other kids made it happen again!
    They are on fire.
    Great game tonight!

I agree, it was a great game. I didn't watch all of it, but I saw most of the comeback.

Toronto looked pretty bad, other than the hr by Jr, losing 7 in a row can't be fun.

Toronto has a pretty good outfielder that used to play for the Red Sox that they could get about now for Matsu because they are going nowhere this year.

Bryan Bello has all the hardware to pitch in the major leagues but he does not have the software to handle a sticky situation. He needs to go back to the minors for some re-training. He could become a great pitcher if he learns how to control his brain! Cora left him in to see if he could get himself out of a sticky situation and he failed. It's called learning the hard way.

Bello can't handle the negatives in the game. Throwing a baseball or glove down after the opponent does something he doesn't like, or visibly showing his anger with a scowl on his face, shows me he's just an immature loser. You would think Cora etal would counsel him on his anger issues, he's an embarrassment to the organization.

Not so sure the "young guns" are playing at MLB level. Throwing from right field, when the obvious play was at second, and the ball lands about 20 rows up into the stands is not helpful. Wild throws to first base that go wild don't improve the chances of winning. Better to eat the ball and play on.

These are things that they learn in the minors but with the Red Sox this year they have to learn them on the fly in the majors as the Red Sox are mostly kids that should still be in the minors still.

All the more reason why have not a remote clue why they would allow so many good players to move on. It all began with Mookie, and the list is long. Turner, Bogaerts, Martinez, Schwarber, Vasquez...Verdugo is not on this list, glad he's toast.

I said long ago, this is a building year+ for the Red Sox. We'll see from here, but I'm still in the back-to-back-to-back last place finishes in the AL East.

Well, some genius decided to play the game last night. As the rain poured down on the players and fans, they finally called for the tarp. Then, the decision was made to resume the game. Now comes the 2nd inning, with threatening heavy rain all around and once again the tarp comes out and the game is suspended. You would think the powers to be have access to the best weather forecasters in all of Boston. I know they have radar that must extend to at least New York, surely they could see the direction it was coming. Duh !!

A huge waste of time and effort for the ground crew, not to mention the fans and players. Should have postponed the game around 5PM, allowing fans to stay home and not get soaked.

So, Cora emerges as having an ephipany...oh, and thanks Chaim Bloom, I always knew you were a loser, and fruits of your non labor have put the team in a fairly deep hole. Because of your inability to sign players, and just sit on your hands, it is more thank likely the Red Sox team will suffer another season without accomplishing much. At this point it would take a miracle to save this season...not likely.

Time will tell whatever Breslow will do.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/alex-cora-says-its-time-for-the-red-sox-to-get-greedy/ar-BB1oZRDS

I like that Cora has come out against what management has been doing for the past couple of years. Forcing them basically to SHIT OR GET OFF THE POT. We need a couple of players and not players that are basically washed up has beens ! DO YOUR F-IN JOB LIKE Durans shirt said!

Game not on tv tonight but it sounds like Piveta really sucked tonight.

As expected, Bogaerts got a nice standing ovation.

Two losses in a row because of very poor pitching. If management wants to win something this year they need to come up with 2 good pitchers or they will end up in last place again.

Well Bauer is still a free agent setting all kinds of records down in Mexico just like he did in Japan. Boston is one of a handful of teams whose brand is so big, their owners so rich and powerful, that they could tell MLB we dont care hes black balled were signing him anyways and nothing would happen.

I dont think they will do it, but they could do it and should do it if they care about winning

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    Well Bauer is still a free agent setting all kinds of records down in Mexico just like he did in Japan. Boston is one of a handful of teams whose brand is so big, their owners so rich and powerful, that they could tell MLB we dont care hes black balled were signing him anyways and nothing would happen.

I dont think they will do it, but they could do it and should do it if they care about winning

I think he would still be under contract with the dodgers. Maybe for just the remainder of this season. Why do you think anyone can sign him?

edited June 29, 2024 9:29PM

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

I think he would still be under contract with the dodgers. Maybe for just the remainder of this season. Why do you think anyone can sign him?

Hes a free agent and has been for two years now

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

Ok. I didn’t know. Did they dfa him in 23? He was still under contract when he was pitching in Japan.

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

Ok. I didn’t know. Did they dfa him in 23? He was still under contract when he was pitching in Japan.

No he wasnt still under contract. He signed in Japan as a free agent

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Two losses in a row because of very poor pitching. If management wants to win something this year they need to come up with 2 good pitchers or they will end up in last place again.

Well, things aren't rolling along very well. The season is exactly half over. Even if they acquired an ace pitcher tomorrow, he'd only get about 16 starts, IF he won half of his starts, that's only 8 games. Neither is obviously gonna happen, which narrows the stats substantially. Something strange about the Red Sox management, and I really think they're just in it for their lucrative paychecks and not inspried to produce a winning team. Maybe they think of the team as a cash cow to fuel other interests, like soccer or racing.

Although I've trashed Bloom several times, he may well have been ham strung by the uppers holding onto the cash needed to acquire high calibre talent. I think when Bogaerts left, they were afraid of losing Devers, and opened up the bank. All this nonsense began when they let Mookie slip away...BTW, Mookie and Schwarber on in the AS game. The replacements ain't doin' so good. Wild throws, throwing gloves and balls down...where is the leadership and coaching?? Masa is still stuck at 2 HRs and 13 RBIs...not even close to getting bang for buck with him.

So, tough times for the Fenway Faithful. Chalk it up to a building year, 9.5 back is hard to overcome. I know how this disappoints you, but, facts are facts. Cora still looks like he's so disinterested, just kinda stares out at the outfield. He keeps doing this beard, no beard routine, kinda weird.

Happy 4th...enjoy the fireworks from the Esplanade in Boston. I think Macy's is the best.

July already ! The season is half over and the Am leagues best teams seem to be losing their big lead in the race to win the division the last couple of weeks. We will see what happens with the trading deadline approaches. The team who goes all out to get needed pieces will win and those that refuse to get what they need will wait till next year.
    Come on Mr Henry open your fat wallet to get what your team needs.

This weekends games should be interesting to watch as the Sox will be in Yankee stadium.

edited July 4, 2024 4:28PM

Durant saves the game with a perfect throw to the plate for what would have been the winning run for Miami.
    The sox went on to win in 12. It's on to face the dreaded Yankees for 3 games!
    Are the Red Sox going to be buyers at trade deadline?
    They better be or they will lose a lot of fans as they are showing what they are capable of!

The Red Sox have been making a steady climb in the standings over the past few weeks and it has been great to see. You can see the improvement of he young players as they get more experience. Even Masa has been hitting the last few games.

edited July 5, 2024 11:34PM

Still nobody watching the Red Sox I guess!
    Two run homer in the ninth to tie it and another 2 run homer in the 10th to win it.
    I won't bore you with the details but the Red Sox will win the Wold Series this year if management picks up the needed pitching before the trade deadline ends!

Phenomenal Win against the hated Yankees, I love that the wheels are falling off in NY

Management won't help this team I'm thinking

A great win against the Yankees, especially in the Bronx. Keep in mind they were one strike away from losing last night, and if not for a great throw by Duran, they would have lost a game to the Marlins...fate went a different way. Now with 3 HRs and a whopping 18 RBIs, Yoshida is nowhere near what they expected of him, no matter how they spin it. Verdugo, OTOH, has 9 HRs, and 43 RBIs. Not a fan of him, but the comparison speaks for itself.

The Red Sox WILL NOT win the WS this year. Your emtions are getting the best of you. The season is more than half over, acquiring pitching does not guarantee any future wins. The time to pick up much needed pitching was last year, thus enhancing the opportunity for this year, which for whatever reason, they have not done. There simply aren't enough games left for additional pitchers to make a major difference.

The odds makers, BTW, have the Red Sox waaaaay down the list of postential ws winners. They are currently ranked 19th by Vegas odds makers, with both Baltimore and the Yankees well ahead of them. The Red Sox management has frittered away key players and then made desperate acquisitions, which have not turned out well. Surely I don't have to name those who have gone.

The only thing I'm waverying on is that I thought the team would end up in last place...looks like middle to lower and of the pack, thus perhaps salvaging a horrible back-to-back-to-back last place finishes in the AL East.

Time will tell

At least you are wavering a little Al, that is progress I guess!

14-4

That is why they need a couple of pitchers! I realize management is not going to give them what they want this year and stay under the salary cap. They consider it a rebuilding year and want to see what they do with what they have but I hate it. Its all about the money!

Theres not really any pitching options right now especially not cheap ones. Even ignoring being black balled Bauer is off the market until at least mid August. He recently signed a deal with the Diablos to have his Bauer Outage logo on the jerseys in exchange for agreeing to play the entire season.

The White Sox are shopping Garrett Crochet around, but want a kings ransom. Hes not even arbitration eligible yet and the Red Sox dont really have the prospects to meet the asking price anyways. I wouldnt make that trade either, if anyone meets their current asking price it will be a rip off like the Soto trade.

Assuming they all make it to free agency, its not looking great either. Snell could opt out of a 1 year 30 million but wouldnt be cheap. Burnes wont be cheap, Fried wont be cheap, Flaherty and Buehler are aces when healthy but cant stay healthy. Theyre going to have to open the pocket book for the free agent pitchers

MLB also needs to chill on Durans undershirt, its just funny no reason to be fining him for it

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Free agency is not going to be the easy thing that it once was as these players now want the world to sign a contract. Teams that want a free agent to be will have to sign one for the rest of the year if they want their service but will not be able to sign long term deals. Teams with young players under contract could get what they need for the rest of the season and let these expensive players just walk at the end. Ten and 12 year deals are coming to the end and shorter deals for the same amount of money will take their place.

Looks like the Sox will have to make do with the pitchers they have this season so we will see what they can do.

Once again...the pitching issue should have been addressed during the off season, if not during last year's season. Nothing can change what, IMO, is the fate of the Red Sox this year. There is something within the brain trust of the Red Sox management that doesn't allow them to look long term, or certainly gives that appearance. Accepting that will lower your blood pressure.

This link will show you what the current odds are in terms of most likely teams having the best shot to win the ws. To continue to think the Red Sox will win much of anything, is simply irrational exuberance. Better, I think to just enjoy the games, win or lose and not put your hopes into something that is simply unreachable, given the current players, upcoming opponents and time remaing in the season, which is only 74 games, with 88 having been played. Even if, IF they won a wild card spot, they still have a tough gauntlet to endure.

I said this long ago, watch the Orioles, this may well be their year.

Chill, its only baseball!

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-world-series-odds-2024-dodgers-yankees-favorites/826756b19cc92785e34f7c00