Home Sports Talk

Boston Red Sox Thread

Comments

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭

I agree the Orioles are the team to watch but in short series even the best teams lose.
    The team that wins it this year Will be the one that has the best pitching and the Sox do not.
    Pitching is going to cost big money this winter and signing them very costly.

The Red Sox take 2 out of 3 from the Yankees AGAIN!
    Devers hits 2 homers and CRAWFORD SHUTS THE YANKEES DOWN.
    Devers, Duran and Houck make the all star game!
    Are the Yankees headed for the cellar instead of the Red Sox?

edited July 8, 2024 10:02AM

How about the Yankees for the cellar?
    How about the celler door then just knocking to get in?
    One more of their top guys get hurt and they are going to completely fall apart!
    Only 3 games behind the Yankees in the loss column now!
    There must be one team out there that wants to give up a pitcher that they won't be able to re-sign!

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭

Who says there is no pitching available?

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    How about the Yankees for the cellar?
    How about the celler door then just knocking to get in?
    One more of their top guys get hurt and they are going to completely fall apart!
    Only 3 games behind the Yankees in the loss column now!
    There must be one team out there that wants to give up a pitcher that they won't be able to re-sign!

Yankees should stay out of the basement even with the injuries. They over performed for a while and are just normalizing now. Rays and Toronto look like theyre going to be sellers as well. Rays already traded away one of their starters and may be open to trading like Eflin to save money since theyre so cheap.

Texas is considering selling but it would be guys like Mad Max, Heaney, and Lorenzen. Theyd be up grades but being their all veterans they will cost money or a bigger prospect haul for Texas to eat the money. The Rockies are considering offers for Quantrill but have a long history of just holding onto guys that should have been traded looking towards the future. The Angels never really do the right thing either. A's dont really have anything other than a closer with Wood and Stripling being hurt. Jack Flaherty from the Tigers could be an option with him coming back from injury. Braves are looking for outfield help with Acuna out for the year and Harris still out, could maybe work something out with them for a back end guy or bullpen arm.

The biggest problem though is that currently every team in the NL is legitimately in the wild card race other than the Rockies and Marlins. Theres 7 teams within 6 games of the third place wild card spot. That gives the sellers a lot of leverage

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited July 8, 2024 4:58PM

@bgr said:
    Who says there is no pitching available?

There is pitching available, its just a case of who wants to pay the price.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is nothing that can help the Red Sox at this stage of the season...NOTHING. Getting other pitchers will merely put a small dent in what is otherwise a total car crash. The math alone should tell you that! 89 games have been played, leaving 73 remaining, 55% of the season is gone. You are grasping at smoke.

As mentioned before, when last season was obviously in the tank, that is when Red Sox management should have made more prudent roster moves. Chaim Bloom, who you so often cheered as doing "a great job", did nada to improve the team. Meanwhile, key players, IMO, were dripping away like an ice cube in the heat. The list is easily found.

So, once again, the best you can do is chill and enjoy the rest of the season, 'cause it ain't gonna get no better!! And NO, the Yankees won't end up in last place, the race there is between Toronto, the Rays and the Red Sox. A small swing could easily find the Sox in the dreaded back-to-back-to-back last place finish. BTW, I don't think the rehiring of Cora, while not the catalyst of this debacle, surely added to the mix of the witches brew that now finds the Red Sox scrambling.

Maybe the As will provide a win or two for the Red Sox. Looking to the future, the Red Sox have MANY games with the Yankees and Orioles, the mountain to climb is very high!

The Red Sox playoff odds are at 41%.

I guess that’s what the math says. But what I see is a bubble team that could probably use a few pieces.

There’s more starting pitching out there for less than Lorenzen, Crochet, Scherzer are going to go for if they move. There’s also a bunch of other pitchers who aren’t being talked about.

I think Crochets rebuilt arm is great but he’s so expensive that I’m more interested in a guy like Fedde who can give a team the same wins at a price that won’t cost the farm.

A lot can happen with 77 games left to play. Yes its hot but that effects all the players. Some will wilt under the pressure but others that have something to prove and will put it aside and play hard. I like the Red Sox for the playoffs and anything can happen in short series just ask the Yankees.

Only 73, not 77.

We'll see. I think I'm gonna take a hiatus from this thread for a while.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot can definitely happen in the second half of the season but the Sox Players are just going to have to do it all on their own.

We know you would be excited to see the Red Sox win it Al but you are a statistics guy and the statistics are not in the Red Sox's favor right now. I believe that the players have the desire to win this thing this year and will do anything they can to do so no matter what it takes even if they have to do it on their own.

It would have been hilarious if the bullpen just let that 9 run lead disappear and lose that game yesterday

Cora was just trying to save the bullpen and it almost backfired on him. He ended up getting Jensen up anyway but win is a win especially with the Yankees and Orioles losing.

Do all of you here think that 6 1/2 games in the American League East is too much of a lead to make up in the 2nd half?
    I sure don't think so!
    The Yankees and Orioles are not playing that well and the Red Sox are!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Do all of you here think that 6 1/2 games in the American League East is too much of a lead to make up in the 2nd half?
    I sure don't think so!
    The Yankees and Orioles are not playing that well and the Red Sox are!

Definitely the Sox could win the division. The unknown factor is always injuries. Boston has been playing very well so congrats for your optimistic attitude. I have to root against them for the next 3 games as a Royals fan.
    I still think KC has a chance to win the central and they are 7 back at the moment. The reason is I don’t think the Guardians can continue their winning pace. Their relief pitchers are better than their starters and as the long season grinds on the relievers are going to be asked to pitch more and more innings. Then they falter and KC or
    Minnesota is there to take over the lead.
    Good luck to your Red Sox!

The Royals have done well this year and I wish them well after the all star break but not the next 3 games as those belong to the Red Sox.

edited July 13, 2024 2:15PM

https://www.mlb.com/news/dallas-keuchel-s-whirlwind-journey-to-brewers

Watching Keuchel pitch his 4th game with a 5-0 lead through 3. I get that Keuchel isn't an ace anymore, but he has been pitching well in the minors and Brewers are 3-0 in his first 3 starts and looking good to go 4-0. A bit of luck certainly, but keeping a team in the game is better than nothing, and you can't argue with the price.

What more is there to say but GO RED SOX!

Given the events of the day, perhaps you could have found a moment of silence on your obsession with the Red Sox.

I shut the tv off after the Red Sox game so had no knowledge of the attempt on Pres Trumps life. My wife and I spent a quiet afternoon and evening alone with no tv on so did not even hear about it until after I had posted that, Not all of us have a cell phone glued to their hand as I despise them.

edited July 16, 2024 8:28PM

Red Sox Jaren Duran is the MVP of the 2024 All Star Game. What a year that kid is having!

An exciting finish in the game last night. O'Neil and Duran continue to be the glue on the team. Masa continues to disappoint in his DH role and pinch hit department, 4 HRs and 24 RBIs don't justify what he's getting paid. Yet another Red Sox cast off, KiKe, bites the team with his game tying hr off Jansen. At 6-4, the Red Sox had the game in the bag, but the LA found a way to pull it out of the fire.

With 9 LOB, and 2/14 in the RISP department, clearly the Red Sox had ample opportunites, but couldn't find the key hit(s) needed to close the deal. LA wasn't any better, actually worse, but managed the win. Now at 6.5 back as the Orioles have woken up, could quickly find the Red Sox totally out of contention. The Rockies next, maybe they'll pick up some games, then the Yankees.

Odd, I thought how some people only post when the Red Sox win, but crickets when they lose. I see the game for what it is, win or lose, its only baseball, and occasionally you'll see an exciting back and forth game like last night.

The last 2 games were excellent and were fun to watch.That is what I watch baseball to see. I would have liked to see different results but it is what it is. The Red Sox dont have the power that the Dodgers do but they do have the desire to win. Still a lot of games to play so who knows what will happen. The Sox are still short a couple of pitchers.

Guys. You two really need your own Red Sox podcast.

I call it like I see it...others prefer to view things in a less than realistic perspecitve. Facts are facts, and stats don't lie.

You can't constantly rah rah the Red Sox, then remain silent and not comment when they play poorly, or try to point the finger one day and flip the next.

Its a fact of baseball, that all teams have streaks, good and bad. One would think after having placed LAST back to back that management wouldh've analyzed their pitching staff and acted appropriately to shore up the next season, instead of having what amounted to a fire sale, either not tendering, or allowing key position players to slip away. Verdugo is the exception, his attitude was a cancer to the team, I'm glad he's gone.

I compliment players when they've played well, and hammer those that don't. They are being paid to perform, and some of them ain't performin'.

Pitchers at this point, BTW, are a non issue. With 65 left to play and the opponents ahead, I'm a firm believer that this season is and has been toast.

And that’s your platform on the podcast. That’s exactly the character it needs to balance the over the top exuberance. Both must be polar opposite.

bgr...

I am a life long Red Sox fan, so long that I've seen Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play in Fenway. When I was a kid, my dad, for whatever reason, seemed to always get us seats in that little slice of seats in Fenway to the immediate right of the 420' sign in deep center field. I distinctly remember hearing Mickey Mantle's cleats shuffling through the pea gravel just below me trying to get a Jackie Jensen well hit ball. Some stuff you seem to always remember... exciting moment.

However, as I've gotten older, my view of the Red Sox has changed. Perhaps excessive contracts, many of whom have turned out to be disasters and wasted money...I could list many, but won't endure the effort. Senior management comes and goes, and don't think we've always had the best at the helm. IMO, rehiring Cora was a mistake, a known cheater, his last two finishes are back-to-back last place in the AL East. Why on earth would you hire this man when there has to be plenty of others to select from and given a chance to manage? I see no spark in this man and when the camera is on him, he always looks like his dog died. He tried to be the big cheese with a well balanced plan to shut down LA in the 11th inning last night...not, game ended shortly after he got back to his perch. The Red Sox need a Dick Williams-like manager.

Far too many Red Sox fan favorites and position players have been lost to a plethora of reasons, free agency, no tendering of contracts, or not ponying up enough $$ to meet the market requirements. It began with the loss of Mookie. The list is long.

In a nutshell, I watch the team play occasionally, my life does not revolve around how well the team does or does not do. I have other interests in life and am not glued to the tube, as others may be. I don't think I've ever made a post that was subjective, as I said, the stats speak for themselves, and, IMO, for what these guys are getting paid, they're not earning their keep. Masa is a prime example of wasted money, as others in the past have been, Pablo Sandoval is the star in this foolish endeavor. My moniker for him was "el sapo gordo"...the fat toad.

Like I wrote, I call it like I see it and think I've been pretty fair in my overall assessment of the Red Sox team and their obvious inept management decisions. I think its a fool's errand to continue to rah, rah the team instead of facing facts about the current and ongoing performance of this team. I am well aware there are probably Red Sox fans who aren't too thrilled about what I write sometimes, but I do try to be fair. Sometimes you gotta look at reality and what's in front of you.

I enjoy most of your posts BTW.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

It's not all fun and wins. Many of us come here to try and enjoy the Red Sox and hope for the best . This is one spot that we hope that it does not rain on our parade.

I don't see "many of us" posting. I don't cause the rain, the inept play of the Red Sox team is doing that, like Masa up with the bases loaded, and the mega-million dollar player grounds out...again. If you expect me to be in the rah, rah club, it ain't gonna happen. Perhaps if you posted more often and gave a fair analysis of the team, both strengths and weaknesses, I might appreciate your viewpoint more.

Swept by LA and now 6.5 back. You cannot expect two team members to do it all...i.e. Duran and O'Neil.

Swept by a team that will most likely be the World Series winner is not such a bad thing. The Sox gave them a fight the whole series and I enjoyed watching the games. These kids deserve our backing for what they have accomplished so far. Just sit back and relax watching what what they do for the rest of the season and maybe we will beat the Yankees this year. Lets make that our goal and if Duran can lead us further on than that will be better than the last couple of years.

At this stage of the season, any time you get swept is 3-4 games you have lost and can't get back. It IS bad thing, how you can think differently is a mystery to me. Not such a bad thing?? Really?

I have no goal for the Red Sox other than for them to be competitive and field the best team they can and those that do take the field should play to the very best of their ability. They aren't kids, all are grown men, being paid a fortune to PLAY a kid's game about 3 hours a day, something we could only dream about. Are you aware that Masa makes $111,111 per game?? How's that working out for a poor performing DH who swings a bat maybe 4 times in a game. His contribution is a whopping 4 HRs, and 25 RBIs...pathetic!!

I don't watch every game, and I think I already know what they're gonna do for the rest of the season. Being optimistic is one thing, being overly obsessed and constantly displaying irrational exuberance, without writing about their poor play or lack of player performance, like Masa, is simply hiding your head in the sand. Now you think getting swept is not such a bad thing" Stunning!!

Duran CANNOT carry the flag by himself. Yes, he's playing exceptionally well, but what about the others?

I have made my last comment for the season and will just enjoy watching what is left of it. You are not wrong with what you say about management so will not comment any more about them and will just enjoy by myself and all the others that remain silent on the Red Sox.

I will miss the back and forth.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t go tommyrusty I like the Red Sox talk. Love the way Duran plays the game, fun guy to watch.

Why, it doesn't gain anything. I would prefer just having a good discussion on the Red Sox development from this year over last year than a discussion over what management has done or didn't do over the last 10 years. They have had more success in winning World Series than most of teams have had in the last 20 years. Sure they have made some mistakes but so have the other teams.

Your problem is that you absolutely refuse to write about the short comings of CURRENT EVENTS. You seem to indicate I've written about what management has done or didn't do over the last 10 years...more like the last 2. So what that they've had great success...you are living in yesteryear, not 2024.

So, hibernate if you wish, I've only brought to light the "other side" of the team's accomplishments, or lack thereof.
    "Sure they have made some mistakes but so have the other teams". Who cares about other teams, you're making excuses when you can't objectively remain within the Red Sox on field performance. It ain't all that good, only a couple of players are excelling, Duran and O'Neil.

So, when you see me post, just don't open it and it'll help keep your blood pressure down. I have for the most part, consistently acknowledged when they've played well, and more so when they have played poorly. They are being paid to perform, and far too often they are not.

Keep thinking that being swept by LA, at this stage of the season, "is not such a bad thing". When you make statements like that, I will indeed comment.

Its only baseball.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I have made my last comment for the season and will just enjoy watching what is left of it. You are not wrong with what you say about management so will not comment any more about them and will just enjoy by myself and all the others that remain silent on the Red Sox.

Tommy that's ridiculous, you come here and talk about the Sox anyway you want

I enjoy reading the thread buddy

One of the most exciting games of the season last night...unfortunately, the Red Sox come up short in 12. To quote Yogi, it got late early on the East Coast.

I think Cora's explosion was his attempt to inspire the team, I thought he was gonna pop a vein, or have an aneurysm. Mostly theatrics, he knew he was baiting the umpire and got the result he expected. Earl Weaver was the best at exploding on umpires.

The umpire did blow the 3rd strike call, which then led to the Rockie's staying in the game. All games going forward are bigger than the one before, as time marches on and opportunites begin to shrink. Now 7 back with the Yankees on the horizon.

Cora gets 3 year extension!

Meanwhile...the Red Sox lose the Rockies series after being crushed 20-7 today. How do you lose 2 out of 3 to the almost worst team in baseball? The Yankees cometh.

edited July 24, 2024 8:14PM

Nothing has changed as both the Yankees and Orioles also lost. Yankees series is next up. OK they have signed Cora, I can live with that but if they dont get some pitching before the trade deadline it will not matter who is managing the Red Sox!

Sweep the Yankees!!!!

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Nothing has changed as both the Yankees and Orioles also lost. Yankees series is next up. OK they have signed Cora, I can live with that but if they dont get some pitching before the trade deadline it will not matter who is managing the Red Sox!

Gee, I thought you said that you were done posting here...your words..."I have made my last comment for the season" What happened to that? I prefer that you continue to post, but if you say something, mean it, defend it or whatever. Challenge my posts, don't get so pi$$ed off that you lash out, and post without thinking first. Challenge my posts, don't just sit there and stew over them.

And, this isn't the first, nor is it the second time, maybe the 3rd or 4th, you've gotten into such a twist over what I post about the Red Sox and get so infuriated that you wanna take your ball go and home. You simply are either incapable or totally refuse to see the other side.

I for one, couldn't care less about Cora. If management chooses to spend their money that way, so be it. Odd that you chose that to post instead of the 20-7 score, which, I guess in your mind means nothing, or doesn't deserve a comment. You wrote that "nothing has changed, blah, blah"...you miss the point, they were playing the almost worst team in baseball. They had an opportunity to gain on their opponents, yet you think because the Yanks and Os lost, that all is well, it ain't. Lost games at this point of the season add up quickly. What would you say if the Yanks and Os had won?? It would be 7.5 GB.

So, take a deep breath, its only baseball, not heart surgery. AGAIN...if you see me post, just don't read it, good or bad, but, I promise, it ain't gonna be all good. When the team does well, I will say so, and have done so in the past, when they suck, like yesterday, I will indeed post about that. You just need to realize there is another side that will not always agree with your never-ending, over exuberance of the Red Sox.

I could not believe that they extended Cora and did not go after some pitching that they so desperately need as witnessed yesterday is why I posted yesterday. It was such a pathetic performance that I only watched a few innings, Priveta sucks big time and should not be on the team. You are not the reason I quit posting as most of what you say is true about the past performance of Red Sox management. I too have witnessed the good and very bad seasons the Red Sox have endured over the last 70 or so years .
    I took that deep breath yesterday and remember how Ted Williams and Carl Yastrzemski must have felt after all those terrible years they had to endure while locked into contracts with the Red Sox . There was no way for them to leave those horrible years and move on to a good team so I also will tone it down a little and will keep reading your posts as I dont have the money to buy the Sox to change what management and they are not going to change the way they do things to please me or you.

It is not necessarily about pleasing me or not. I don't expect perfection, but I do expect those who wear the uniform to play to the best of their ability. The problem is and always will be, IMO, that all MLB players have guaranteed money, whether they play poorly, don't run out hard to first, drop balls, make mistakes only a single A player would make, etc, etc. The Red Sox history is rife with boneheaded contracts. Masa is at the head of the list at this point, a PALTRY, 4 HRs, 25 RBIs and .266.
    There is really no point to me going on and on, but it all began right at the Mookie trade, could go down in Red Sox history as the worst trade ever made.

I have an issue with Cora because of his cheating in Houston. Some may disagree, but to me, he did it blatantly, knew he was doing it and never thought he'd be caught. His actions impacted not only the Astros, but the Red Sox as well when he was hired. To me, he should have been banned from baseball, much like Pete Rose. There is a certain integrity that is ingrained in professional sports, and he pretty much gave the middle finger to baseball. So he got a year off...BFD. He's all lovey dovey with the Red Sox now, talking about them as family, blah, blah. I will never change my mind. $7M per season? Really?

So, without rambling on...let's all just move forward, and try to enjoy what's left. I still think they are toast, make no mistake.
    Should they prove me wrong, I will happily post in bold type about their success.

Remember, I too am from the era of Curt Gowdy, "hey neighbor have a gansett", duck pin and candle pin bowling, Don Kent on the weather, trips to Salisbury and Hampton beach, going to the Frolics and summers at lake Winnipesaukee.

Stay well Steve, we ain't got a lot of years left, its only baseball.

Regards,
    Al

Sounds good to me Al. If they dont pick up some pitching this year they are not playing to win it as they are not able to keep up with the Dodgers if they should get that far ( no team is ). The Yankees and Orioles are showing some weakness now so they have a chance to beat them in a short series if they get that far.
    My best to you and yours,
    Steve

Well Breslow is trying as he brought back Paxton who is a left hand pitcher that had left the Sox for the Dodgers last winter.

Opportunity knocks !!! The Red Sox could do themselves a huge favor IF they could sweep or at least win the series against the Yankees. If they lose all 3, that could really be season ending.

I'm not so sure pitching can be the savior at this point. Getting base runners and key hits are the answeres (IMO) to any possibility of salvaging the season. JD is in the mix, who knows what comes b4 7/31?

There's only 61 games to go, and the schedule ahead won't be easy, no game really is, given the recent Rockies experience. To quote Kevin Millar, "it's time to Cowboy up". Somebody needs to get Masa his favorite bento box, a bunch of them.

edited July 26, 2024 2:46PM

Picking up Paxton fills a big hole on the pitching side and giving up nothing to get him.
    He is pitching well right now!
    Next up is a power hitting right hander and they are out there.
    Go get one Mr Breslow!
    Three wins sure would be sweet .