Home Sports Talk

Boston Red Sox Thread

123457»

Comments

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

Red Sox need to put a good winning streak together or else they will be watching the playoffs from the comforts of their own home.

• charliej2356charliej2356 Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

"Red Sox need to put a good winning streak together or else they will be watching the playoffs from the comforts of their own home."

I'm pretty sure it's time to put a fork in the Sox. It's time for Bostonians to think "football" -- maybe Brady will have another great year.

@charliej2356 said:
    "Red Sox need to put a good winning streak together or else they will be watching the playoffs from the comforts of their own home."
    I'm pretty sure it's time to put a fork in the Sox. It's time for Bostonians to think "football" -- maybe Brady will have another great year.

We can all wait for the Arizona Cardinals to win another Super Bowl like they did in 1947 and their last playoff win was Jan 16, 2016.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2024 5:29AM

@pdoidoi said:

@charliej2356 said:

We can all wait for the Arizona Cardinals to win another Super Bowl like they did in 1947 and their last playoff win was Jan 16, 2016.

AZ might be the most pathetic franchise in NFL history

@charliej2356 said:

But let's not forget the last time the D Backs won a world series either, 2001 is a long time ago lol

And Corbin Carroll is a fraud

P-dog wrote: "And Corbin Carroll is a fraud"

You sure know how to hurt a guy -- Corbin Carroll is my "main man", I watch him play whenever I can!!

Seriously, since I follow players who I like instead of teams, I had no interest in da 'backs when they won the world series in 2001. Corbin Carroll is simply fun to watch (and I've read that he's a really nice guy in real life). Don't worry, perkdog, you're still my friend. :-)

edited August 26, 2024 7:19AM

@charliej2356 said:
    P-dog wrote: "And Corbin Carroll is a fraud"

You sure know how to hurt a guy -- Corbin Carroll is my "main man", I watch him play whenever I can!!

Seriously, since I follow players who I like instead of teams, I had no interest in da 'backs when they won the world series in 2001. Corbin Carroll is simply fun to watch (and I've read that he's a really nice guy in real life). Don't worry, perkdog, you're still my friend. :-)

Glad we are still friends but I have to go on the attack when someone is trying to hurt my friend TommyRusty's feelings!

Understood. Give my best to TommyRusty. Any friend of yours is probably a good guy.

And Congrats on 30K score -- that's alot of schmoozing about sports!

@charliej2356 said:
    Understood. Give my best to TommyRusty. Any friend of yours is probably a good guy.

And Congrats on 30K score -- that's alot of schmoozing about sports!

Thanks Bud, I appreciate the kind words 🍻

Thanks for the article.
    I think it would of been so much more interesting if the Sox were winning and in contention. Both teams not doing very good.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭

Now I'm willing to say the Sox have no chance of pulling this season out of the fire as they have no pitching to make a run at it. I would like to say thank you to all the young players that have given their all this season and hope management sees the way to bolster the pitching staff this winter. I would like to tip my hat to Jared and Rafaela for all their exciting play along the way. It was a fun ride ! Now the famous words, ( WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR) , LORD willing and good night!

edited August 27, 2024 7:18AM

We just need to root for the Yankees to fall apart, especially if they make the playoffs

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now at 10.5 back and with 31 games left to play, it is the end of the season for the Red Sox. Losing 5 in a row sealed their fate and came at the worst possible time. New players, lack of key hits with RISP in games they should have won, and far too many errors...like yesterday's 6 errors in the double header.

Injuries didn't help and the expensive signings didn't turn out as expected. I still don't think Cora is the man for the job, but we're stuck with him, like it or not for 3 more years. The team is now closer to 4th place and only 3 back from the cellar. Surely they won't go 3 years in a row in last place in the AL East Division.

Something tells me John Henry's heart really isn't into the team, only making mediocre efforts to improve from the year before. He probably rubber stamps or hamstrings decisions of those below him who may have wanted to make certain trades, costly as they may be. I think soccer and other investments have his eye, and Fenway is just a cash cow to him.

Tommyrusty has championed this team since day one. I commend him for his unwavering enthusiasm, even though I'm sure he knew deep down that the team had a big hill to climb and wouldn't quite make the top.

So, now we become Orioles fans.

It was a feel good moment to watch Rich Hill take the mound for an inning last night, He did so after spending all summer coaching his son in his final year of little league. Hats off to him for his devotion to his son. He certainly did not embarrass himself either as he pitched well.

Who wants that final wild card spot? All the teams involved keep losing games in the American League..

One last note on the Red Sox season Today Criswell had a perfect game going in the 5th inning and Cora decided he had pitched long enough so he brought in Rich Hill who promptly gave up a home run to lose the game. We have 3 more years of these dumb decisions ahead of us I'm afraid.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    One last note on the Red Sox season Today Criswell had a perfect game going in the 5th inning and Cora decided he had pitched long enough so he brought in Rich Hill who promptly gave up a home run to lose the game. We have 3 more years of these dumb decisions ahead of us I'm afraid.

I thought the Red Sox were going to get rid of Cora. Red Sox need some serious help in ownership and management.

I agree completely ! At the trade deadline instead of picking up some help they opted for a worn out closer. an un-needed catcher and a relief pitcher who has been on the IL since he got there. Signs Cora for 3 more years of stupid decisions like the one today.

I think the Red Sox ran out of gas. I also think Cora should give back a bit of his salary.

@pdoidoi said:
    I think the Red Sox ran out of gas. I also think Cora should give back a bit of his salary.

When one appears to have blind faith in a team, vs, seeing reality, the end result is most often a big disappointment.

I believe I posted back near April that the team was not going to make the playoffs...while mathematically there is still a shot, each day makes the net close in. My prognostication was and is valid. Like the saying "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear"...translation... inept play, poor management, lack of esprit de corps, mind numbing contracts and never ending lame press briefings after games is a trademark of the shortcomings of one Alex (the cheater) Cora. He's like a marshmallow manager, the team needs a Dick Williams style to shake things up.

What I saw was a general dismantling of the team bit by bit. While perhaps not intended, IMO it all began when they let Betts get away. Schwarber, JD, Vasquez, Bogaerts, Turner are just a few who were playing good ball. I agreed with dumping Sale, although he's suddenly become a Cy Young candidate and Verdugo was a cancer on the team, all hat no cattle, plus a terrible attitude.

Now come the newbies, inexperienced at best and their play exposed them as such, now with 101 errors, a team record. Pitching has been dismal, and the inept decision by Cora (the cheater) pulling starters without reason, in turn generating precious lost games has now found the chickens coming home to roost.

While I have been a Red Sox fan for a very, very long time, I am not one to simply rah, rah, when in fact the cracks became crystal clear. I try to look at what is causing their failure and comment. While some are dyed-in-the-wool come hell or high water fans, I am not in that camp. Now that Cora is locked in for the next 3 years, it will be difficult to watch this guy fumble and fail with decisions that oftentimes make no sense. Look at Cora when the camera is on him...does he look like he's in the game? I think not...he's looking forward to season end and moving on to his home in Puerto Rico where he can further plan what he's gonna do with his guaranteed future $21m. I do find it entertaining when he occasionally trys to do his best Earl Weaver impression and go off on the umpire as his carotid artery is close to explosing.

Now 1 loss away from tying for 4th place and a step closer to 5th place, which would be the trifecta.

Sadly...its next year time again and unless serious moves are made in the off season, it may well be a repeat of 2024.

Football is now the savior.

Well they finally gave up on Bobby Dalbec and DFA'ed him. I. liked him but he just could not get the hitting part of the game under control. The pitchers learned how to pitch him and he could not recover from it. Someone probably will pick him up that needs a first or3rd baseman and get his hitting squared away.
    The sox are now grasping at straws by bringing up Fitts to pitch today. he did well in the minors but does he have the needed ability to pitch in the majors? The Yankees did not think so ! At least he is going to pitch to a team that is equilivate to a minor league team but Cora will find a way to screw him up.

I think with 15 games left in the season, it is safe to say that the team's post season play will not happen. Now 11 back in the AL East and 4.5 in the WC, it would really take a miracle...their odds BTW of making post season play is down to 5%.

Under the emotionless leadership of Cora, and his oftentimes questionable decisions, the team has let opportunity simply slip away in games they should have won. We all know that they add up in September. Too many errors this season, resulting in a team record. IMO, the team never jelled into cohesive team.

Cora probably looking at the standings in left field at Fenway. Red Sox Nation is stuck with this guy for the next 3 years!! :(

How does Appletv streaming get to be the only channel to broadcast a Yankees/Red Sox game? They had the exclusive to the game and I have not a remote clue as to what market they were trying to reach, as I doubt many fans of either team have Appletv.

Well things were apparently going well,up 4-0 in the 7th inning...that is until one Aaron Judge stepped up with the bases loaded, result was a GS. Another run sealed the deal.

How appropriate on Friday the 13th, in New York that the final nail got hammered into the season ending loss for the Red Sox. Yet again, as it has been during the season, pitching bites the Red Sox again. Now 12 back and toast.

Red Sox management has to spend some serious money this winter to upgrade their pitching staff or I will not re-new the baseball package for next year.
    Yes, they have some good young players but a manager that sucks.
    Apple TV has all the money in the world and will buy all the good games we want to see.
    Direct tv will sell them what they want and to hell with the fans.
    I will not subscribe to Apple

I think the biggest mistake that management made was to reup Cora for 3 years and give him 7 million per, especially so early in the season. IMO they should have waited to see if he could pull the season out of the fire...which he failed to do. In my working life, I never got rewarded for failure, I excelled because I busted my a$$ and played the game well. I had some real winners for managers in my 36 years of Federal Service, but in spite of the losers, I survived and did well. Cora OTOH, has a guaranteed chunk of dinero no matter what happens in the future 486 games.

Cora just seems so disinterested, just stands there like he's waiting for a bus. His decisions at times of pulling pitchers have, IMO, been questionable. I lost interest this year early in the season as I felt there was a lack of team spirit, unlike the 2004 team with their "cowboy up" mantra. They can actually end up in last place. If the Rays hadn't lost 2 in a row, I think they'd be at least tied for 4th place and challenging the Jays for the cellar.

It all began when Mookie went West. By far and hands down, that was the card that led to the Red Sox house falling down. Dumber than a bag of rocks to let him go...the list goes on, but what's the point?