Home Sports Talk

Boston Red Sox Thread

Comments

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭

I really dont get why the Dodgers DFA'd Paxton a few days ago especially with all their injuries. Hes not an ace but was a perfectly fine backend starter for them

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2024 7:49PM

They had 2 starting pitchers coming off the IR so they had to make room for them. All the Red Sox fans will be glad the Dodgers had that problem.
    The Red Sox had one of their great comebacks tonight to win. I hope all you Red Sox fans got to see that game ! There is no QUIT in that team! Judge had one of the longest home runs I have seen at Fenway.

Even with Glasnow and Kershaw coming back seemed like a weird DFA with other guys they could have sent to the minors. His velocity is down but certainly an improvement for the Red Sox

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2024 4:29AM

Well, lucky me...so, I'm watching the game, now into the 2nd inning I think, right about when Verdugo went for the ball and jumped onto the wall. Out of nowhere I lose audio, then I lose satellite connection. I try to reset both the box and internet connection...nothing works. So, it was an odd quiet evening. I was able to at least get the score on my phone. Knew it had to be a comeback win, I missed a good one.

I did find a few clips of the game...Judge's HR was by far the longest I've ever seen hit in Fenway. Generally, when you make it to the centerfield bleachers, its a pretty well hit ball, his went over the bleachers, unheard of really. Gotta give him props, the man can hit a ball!!

Nice to see Masa finally stepped up.

Tech coming this AM.

That sucked ! We had a thunderstorm roll thru and I had no picture for about 5 minutes and I was pissed off but it came back on so I was lucky to have not missed much. You don't realize what it is to lose your TV until something like that happens. The Orioles lost another one too which made it even sweeter but hey picked up another pitcher yesterday too but it cost them 3 young players as the Sox picked up Paxton for next to nothing.

Kudos to Directv!! It was about 7:30-8PM Eastern last night when I called Directv about my issue. AMAZINGLY the tech arrived at my home at just after 8AM this morning. He had the problem solved in about 5 minutes!! It was a connection that somehow had gotten lose...must be gremlins inside my cabinetry where all that stuff is located. I have RARELY if ever had a tech problem resolved that fast, its normally we have an appointment available next Friday from 12 -4 PM, blah, blah.

So, two thumbs up to the Directv people I dealt with last night and early this AM.

I managed to catch the game recap on MLBtv this AM and saw the highlights of the game. A nice comeback, and its even possible I might, "might" lighten up on Masa. Any bets they walk Judge today??

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweep the Yankees!!!!

Yankees got Jazz Chisholm
    O's got Zach Efflin
    Red Sox got Danny Jansen

Been a busy Saturday for the AL East

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited July 27, 2024 8:13PM

They can't win all the games against a team like the Yankees .
    Tomorrows another day.
    Twins Royals and Orioles also lost which is good news.
    Jansen could be a big pickup as he is a right handed power hitter that likes the wall in Fenway but I dont think he is the one they need.
    Again we shall see!

Talk about back an forth game, wish the pitching could have done at least a reasonable job

Win today, let's go!!!

The game was the Red Sox to lose...and they let it slip away. IMO Jansen should have remained in the game, I disagree with Cora's decision. O'Neil's misplay didn't help. Now comes Masa with a great opportunity to do something with his bat, yet again, in a clutch situation, he came up short. Devers went 1/5.

BTW, notice how smiley and happy Cora has become? Of course he's dreaming of all the stuff he'll be able to have and buy in the future, maybe a bigger spread in Puerto Rico. His allegiance is to the $$, not the team. Oh, he'll go through the motions and act all positive, but its all a front. You cannot convince me there aren't more qualified and better options for that position somewhere within the MLB structure.

59 games to go.

edited July 28, 2024 9:48AM

Other teams are picking up quality arms but the Red Sox pick up a catcher that they dont need. How is that helping to win games?
    It is not just for the regular season as we need help if we reach the playoffs.
    Now is the time to trade some of these prospects for quality arms even if it just a year end arm.

That had to be one of the worst games I have seen them play all year. The players see management refusing to help them with some of the good players the other teams are picking up and the Sox pick up a catcher that is going to be a free agent. They are loaded with good prospects they could trade but they want to be cheap and short change this your team that are trying so hard to win. I have been behind them all season because they were trying so hard but MANAGEMENT SUCKS if they dont do something by Tuesday.

edited July 29, 2024 3:15AM

This team is good but not good enough to make a real push, we need to come to terms with this.

Without management backing this team it's just not going end on a bigger positive note other than they were more competitive than we thought they would be.

Odd I thought how out of the blue, Breslow etal find $21m to lock Cora up for 3 yrs, but not too much action to improve the team. They needed a 3rd catcher like I need to have a colonoscopy. Do the math, its disgusting what this guy will make for 6 months in each of the 2025-2027 seasons.

Its a head scratcher to me. With 58 games to go, and now 6.5 back, with Seattle (no easy pickins), things are not looking too bright. I stand firm in my long ago announced position that the team will not contend in October.

@perkdog said:
    This team is good but not good enough to make a real push, we need to come to terms with this.

Without management backing this team it's just not going end on a bigger positive note other than they were more competitive than we thought they would be.

I agree completely with you. Management has to step up by Tuesday to either back the team or not. Having money to extend Cora sure was not the answer. They need pitchers than can get outs and not pitchers that can't find the plate. I thought they were going to do something when they got Paxton but all that did was to wake up other teams to the fact they needed to do something and they took action while the Sox twidled their thumbs.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭

Which of the pitchers who we all think will move before the deadline do you guys think they need to deal for? Do they have the players to make a deal?

There are no players that are untouchable in MLB as has been proven in the past. The Red Sox have more than enough catchers coming up for example. The have a good one now that is young enough to be around for years to come and 2 good prospects in the minors. Lots of teams need a quality catcher. One of them could be traded along with some other prospects .

Time to face reality...NOTHING will save the Red Sox this year. That horse left the barn last season when they finished in last place in the AL East...back-to-back BTW. That is when the 2024 season should have been addressed, not when there's only 58 games left. If you could reincarnate the best pitcher ever, and put him in a 5 man rotation, he would get 10 starts. Does anyone really thing out of those 10 starts, that even if he won 5 games, it means NADA. Too little too late.

The inept decision making by Red Sox management is indeed stunning.

edited July 29, 2024 3:43PM

The RedSox picked up Priester from Pittsburg for Nick York . I know nothing about him but at least they made a move.
    I guess he was iPittsburgh' s # 8 prospect in AAA ball .that is good because we dont have a lot of pitchers in AAA but it probably doesn't help us this year unless they bring him to see what he can do.
    Trades are going fast and furious today,
    Nothing more yet for the RedSox !

I have not seen any moves by RedSox management that would make me believe that they are going to improve the Sox before the trade deadline at 6 PM. If no serious trades are made it will mean they have given up on this season as they do not have the players to win the race this year.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I have not seen any moves by RedSox management that would make me believe that they are going to improve the Sox before the trade deadline at 6 PM. If no serious trades are made it will mean they have given up on this season as they do not have the players to win the race this year.

Unfortunately as I said before, the management is not backing this team up

Boycott comes to my mind if management does not get players to give this team some help they need badly this year. Let the see what an empty ballpark looks like! Going to their games only makes them richer.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Boycott comes to my mind if management does not get players to give this team some help they need badly this year. Let the see what an empty ballpark looks like! Going to their games only makes them richer.

Unfortunately I just don't see that happening

Personally I gave up going to games because of the insane prices to go watch a game when you don't know if a million dollar guy feels like playing or not

Parking, food drink and ticket prices on top of the hassle is just not worth it when I can sit on my couch with the bathroom and fridge just a few feet away.

Same with Patriots games

I agree ,I would not pay those prices even if I lived in Boston which I dont. I too prefer to sit in my lounge chair and get to watch most of the games on tv for peanuts. I probably could not afford the peanuts at Fenway and my ass doesn't fit in those tiny seats anyway.

Red Sox did pick up the relief pitcher Sims from Cincinnati . Three hours left to make a significant deal.

edited July 30, 2024 7:07PM

OK. they have picked up Garcia from the Angels so management has given them the chance to make a run at it. The bullpen was completely worn out and depleted by injuries. Breslow did his job so lets go Red Sox do your job now!

Well let's see if these guys help!!

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    OK. they have picked up Garcia from the Angels so management has given them the chance to make a run at it. The bullpen was completely worn out and depleted by injuries. Breslow did his job so lets go Red Sox do your now!

Thank you for the update. GO RED SOX

Now 7.5 back with the Os and Yankees surging, the hill is rapidly getting higher by the day. IMO, no matter what the Red Sox do in terms of late minute acquisitions, it can't help the 2024 Red Sox team. They are going south instead of north, and their apparent inability to string a bunch of wins together is cripling their advancement not only in the AL East, but in the Wildcard arena as well.

The time to help the team was last year for this year. Little was done, and we see the end result. Maybe, maybe the 2025 season will be different. I'm still not, nor will I ever be thrilled with the Cora extension, I'd be ok with him managing the Portland Sea Dogs.

edited August 1, 2024 12:38AM

I was not thrilled with the players they picked up but I'm sure upper management tamped down what Breslow was doing.
    It is what it is and they have to do whatever they can with what they have.
    I have followed them for many years and nothing surprises me.
    They are only 4 1/2 games behind the Yankees for the 1st wild card slot so dont give up ship.
    ANYTHING can happen in a short series !

Paxton is showing why the Red Sox grabbed him as soon as he appeared on the DFA list. The Dodgers just have so much talent available to them that they let a good player escape their clutches. You go big maple!

edited August 7, 2024 4:41AM

The Sox are climbing that ladder.

edited August 7, 2024 4:43AM

Dont look now but the Red Sox are only 5 games back of the yankees and 4 1/2 behind Baltimore in the loss column. Smith is learning how the swim move works. GO SOX !!!

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Dont look now but the Red Sox are only 5 games back of the yankees and 4 1/2 behind Baltimore in the loss column. Smith is learning how the swim move works. GO SOX !!!

I saw some highlights from MLB on my cell phone. GO SOX

@tommyrusty7 said:

No, they're now 6 games back, and 1.5 back in the WC.

BTW, how is it that you appear to never post after a Red Sox loss, but always post after a Red Sox win?? You have to take the losses with the wins, not only rah, rah the wins. THAT is exactly why we're we are on opposite ends of the Red Sox season. You could have at least posted about the Jansen HR. Wong, OTOH looked pathetic playing 1st base. Can you not give credit to Bobby Witt JR?

49 games to go. The sand is quickly running out of the hourglass.

edited August 8, 2024 7:29AM

Yes Jensen hit a home run but it was at the cost of having Wong at 1st base which was a stupid decision by the 3 yr extended manager who also left the starting pitcher in too long again. Bobbi Witt was just being himself who will hit pitches out of the park off anybody so it did not surprise me. This team will be in it to the end and have done much better than I thought they would this year in spite of what management did not do last winter and I will support them until they are out of it and then I will say thank you and wait till next year Lord willing.

I was very happy to see them win 2 to of 3 in Kansas City which also gave them the tie breaker in case it was needed for the wild card.

Why do you only post when they win? That's my viewpoint on your posts.
    What on earth are you talking about??? Having Wong on first did NADA to influence Jansens home run. How do you square that? Did Wong help him swing? Wong just made a bad toss to the pitcher. Explain what you're writing about.

Sometimes I do really wonder about you. Your irrational exuberance is really EXTRAORDINARY. I'm beginning to think its a waste of time to post in this thread, and just let you ramble on and be happy without my opposing viewpoints to your very strange postings.

BTW, its JAnsen**

@MCMLVTopps said:
    What on earth are you talking about??? Having Wong on first did NADA to influence Jansens home run. How do you square that? Did Wong help him swing? Wong just made a bad toss to the pitcher. Explain what you're writing about.

Sometimes I do really wonder about you. Your irrational exuberance is really EXTRAORDINARY. I'm beginning to think its a waste of time to post in this thread, and just let you ramble on and be happy without my opposing viewpoints to your very strange postings.

BTW, its JAnsen**

If you don't like it then don't comment or don't even read. Why in the heck do you have to be so negative and attacking someone for what they believe or like.

This is one of the reasons why many stay away from this site. I have cut way down on my post because of people like you destroying this forum. You just recently said you would do better and not act like this.

Jansen would not have been in the game if Wong had been playing catcher where he is one of the best in the league. It was a strange move picking Jansen up anyway as they have strength at the catching position coming up in the minors.

@pdoidoi said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

BTW, its JAnsen**

If you don't like it then don't comment or don't even read. Why in the heck do you have to be so negative and attacking someone for what they believe or like.

This is one of the reasons why many stay away from this site. I have cut way down on my post because of people like you destroying this forum. You just recently said you would do better and not act like this.

People like me? You mean those of us that have an opposing position? I will choose to continue to post as I wish, or not.

Why don't you step up and challenge my posts instead of hiding behind your keyboard and "cutting way down on your posts"? How exactly am I, and people like me "destroying this forum"? I'm impressed that you have so much knowledge about why many stay away from this site. When I read illogical postings, I guess you expect me to just overlook it and not challenge the poster. The only problem with tommyrusty is that he can only see the Red Sox team through rose tinted glasses and refuses to see the short comings.

Solution for your irritation is to simply not read my posts. You choose to call them attacks, I choose to call them a viewpoint from a different perspective. So, stay away if you wish, I'd rather read your posts than not, but that's up to you. And, as long as I see a post that makes no sense, I will continue to challenge the poster's post, or not. You, OTOH, choose to attack me and not my postings...pretty lame.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@pdoidoi said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

BTW, its JAnsen**

People like me? You mean those of us that have an opposing position? I will choose to continue to post as I wish, or not.

Why don't you step up and challenge my posts instead of hiding behind your keyboard and "cutting way down on your posts"? How exactly am I, and people like me "destroying this forum"? I'm impressed that you have so much knowledge about why many stay away from this site. When I read illogical postings, I guess you expect me to just overlook it and not challenge the poster. The only problem with tommyrusty is that he can only see the Red Sox team through rose tinted glasses and refuses to see the short comings.

Solution for your irritation is to simply not read my posts. You choose to call them attacks, I choose to call them a viewpoint from a different perspective. So, stay away if you wish, I'd rather read your posts than not, but that's up to you. And, as long as I see a post that makes no sense, I will continue to challenge the poster's post, or not. You, OTOH, choose to attack me and not my postings...pretty lame.

I feel that at times you are just way to heavy with the negativity and attactking someone for their thoughts just because you disagree . There are many bad things happening to everyone and sometimes we want to come here to get away and hear some positive remarks. I have no problem with disagreements, I hate to see the attacking.

I could of sworn you were just saying how you were going to calm down a little.

edited August 8, 2024 8:40PM

Nobody can disagree with the fact the Yankees and Orioles just lost their games again today.
    What say you Al?
    Yankees got most of their team back and they are still losing. I dont know what the Orioles excuse is
    BUT
    the Red Sox are still hanging in there my friend!
    GO SOX !!!!

Couldn't come back tonight but they tried.
    Miserable night for baseball tonight with the wind and rain.
    Story may be back before the season is over which is good news as the SS position needs him.

No team seems to have firm hold on the American League this year. All teams are in a win one lose one situation. It will go down to the wire I guess.

@tommyrusty7 said:
    No team seems to have firm hold on the American League this year. All teams are in a win one lose one situation. It will go down to the wire I guess.

That is where the Sox need to catch some wins to gain. If they want to have any chance.

That about sums it up. They are a young tram with the hardware to win but the software is not there yet. Errors and missed plays in the field are killers and the pitching is not consistent.

Swept by the Astros and now 7.5 back. Lucky to have both the teams ahead lose, or it would be 8.5 back.

As expected, no comment about Paxton, nor having a position player take the mound. I did find it odd that Cora was getting quite a chuckle out of watching Smith pitch. Not sure if I'd be laughing regardless of the Keystone Cops episode with my team sinking like a stone and getting swept at home. The bullpen is depleted...one wonders why they didn't go after pitching when they could have, at least make an attempt.

Opportunity knocks with the Orioles after the Rangers. Let's see if they can help themselves or sink further into obscurity.

I believe I commented right after the trade deadline that I was not pleased with what the Sox got in trades. They did get Paxton who is now hurt but they sure didn't need a catcher. They do not have the pitching going forward that they will need to compete as they can't keep coming back from large deficits every game. Orioles and Rangers are up next so Bello and fellow pitchers had better show up with their A games if they have one left this year. GO SOX!

Time to wake up and start winning or it could be over very fast.

Thanks for the comments MCMLVTOPPS and tommyrusty, keep them coming.