Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I'm a Dodger fan, but..

Comments

• ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2024 9:03PM

The bottom 3 or 4 depending on the lineup are still a big liability. This week they were a combined 8-65 or .123 average. Not good. T. Hernandez has turned out to be a great pickup. Pages started out strong but lately has reminded us he is still a rookie. Whole team still strikes out too much. What happens when Hayward comes back. Do they send Outman down?

• olb31olb31 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

They need Hayward. He's at least a 250 hitter with some power. Taylor has done nothing too. Not sure who the better defensive player is between Pages and Outman, but that is who i would play in center. Lux looks lost.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 486 ✭✭✭

Outman has been really good. Outman seems to me to be a completely reliable centerfielder. Hayward plays right field. T Hernandez played left last night, I think. But, he usually plays right field.

Pages has been great. It's true though that sometimes guys come up and they're all pumped to be there. So they end up being amazing for a short time. Then they settle down. I know if this applies to Pages. I think Outman is probably better defensively.

Taylor is a really good defensive fielder. I've seen him make some great catches. Huge range. His bat though... Hitting a big .071.

Lux hit a triple last night. I totally cringed as he slid in to 3rd.

Dodgers have been getting a lot of value out of the bottom of the lineup.

Freeman not up to par so far. HE needs to step it up and then things really take off offensively. Heyward does have a decent bat.

Freeman is hitting .297. An announcer at one point this week said freeman was 0 for his last 10. Shrug.

I saw them put Heyward in at 1st once. It didn't go well.

They're scoring many runs most games. They're cruising along at a fine pace right now.

Yamamoto seems to me to be a really good pitcher.

anybody ready to give up on roberts. the team is in a total free fall. while maybe it's not all his fault, i think it's time for some new ideas/personalities. the GM has provided a complete all-star team for roberts and the team is in a total free fall. i've been done with him for the last 3 years,

They just won game 1 of their double header. They aren't scoring enough runs though.

Pages did cool off.

Teoscar Hernandez is doing really well.

• lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    anybody ready to give up on roberts. the team is in a total free fall. while maybe it's not all his fault, i think it's time for some new ideas/personalities. the GM has provided a complete all-star team for roberts and the team is in a total free fall. i've been done with him for the last 3 years,

They're just fine. They're 5 or 6 games up and are about to get Miller, Phillips, and Kelly back. If Buhler figures it out, they get Kershaw and Dustin May ramped up late in the season, they should be formidable.

• 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CardGeek said:
    They just won game 1 of their double header. They aren't scoring enough runs though.

Pages did cool off.

Teoscar Hernandez is doing really well.

Anyone can "Beat The Mets"

Meet the Mets
    Greet the Mets
    They came to the park and beat the Mets
    Cover your head
    Prepare for the cries
    Guaranteed they can't hit for their lives
    Cause the fielders are really dropping the ball
    watchin' those relief pitchers losin' it all
    creaking creaking
    everybody hear the sound?
    'cause the New York M-E-T-S Mets are goin' down

It's the singer not the song - Peter Townshend (1972)

Maybe they heard me getting pissed off and won a couple.

• GrooGroo Posts: 180 ✭✭✭

Do Mets fans still whine about other teams "buying championships"?

They have Highest payroll in MLB history and prolly any going to even sniff a 3rd wild card berth. Guess they were wrong u can't buy a championship...

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samthecat said:
    Wow this thread started in 2021 about how bad Dave Roberts is as a manager and nothing has changed. He is consistent

Consistently good! Dodgers fans must be getting spoiled. He has never missed the playoffs in 8 years. The Dodgers had a 5 game losing streak, first one in 5 years, I am surprised you all didn't want him fired.

Last year in the Playoffs they scored 2 runs in each game versus Arizona. Mookie went 0-11 in the series and Freddie went 1-10. They lost that series, not Dave Roberts.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

Yeah -- just feels like they need something different. Not sure what it is. I have noticed he's starting to pitch the starters a little longer. The Dodgers supply Dave with endless talent, he just doesn't seem to get the most out of the team. Just my opinion.

He isn't pitching the starters longer. I haven't seen anybody go over 100 pitches. Why do you think leaving pitchers in longer would help them win more?

The Dodgers under Roberts had the 4th best regular season in MLB history a couple years ago. I think you started saying Roberts should be fired right when that happened. What kind of numbers would you be happy with?

well you are correct about the pitches. i have noticed several starters going 7 innings but probably were under 100 pitches.

too many loose holes. betts to the infield, 6-9 hitters are terrible, no real ss and no real 2b, pitching woes galore. so i guess we can say either the gm isn't doing a great job or roberts isn't sure what to do with what he has. the postseason issues are certainly glaring.

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭✭

@Groo said:
    Do Mets fans still whine about other teams "buying championships"?

They have Highest payroll in MLB history and prolly any going to even sniff a 3rd wild card berth. Guess they were wrong u can't buy a championship...

That’s what you get from Cohen. If only there was insider trading in baseball.

Maybe I should have posted a pic of a Jordan.

dodgers can't hit, can't pitch, can't field. something needs to change.

The dodgers splayed 5 guys last night that are batting under .215. What the hell? 5 guys that suck that bad. Maybe they should work on hitting some before the games. How can an MLB team have that many sorry hitters? And they all make millions apiece to do nothing.

• STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    The dodgers splayed 5 guys last night that are batting under .215. What the hell? 5 guys that suck that bad. Maybe they should work on hitting some before the games. How can an MLB team have that many sorry hitters? And they all make millions apiece to do nothing.

The change in hitting philosophy from "hit 'em where they ain't" to "hit it over the fence".

That pitcher they put in in the 9th gets lit up almost every time I see him pitch.

Barns caught most of the game. Smith needs days off sometimes. Barns hardly gets any play time.
    Kike did well at shortstop. Betts injured
    Biggio Just came in from the Blue Jays. Because Muncy is injured.
    Lux Doing well since coming back from knee injury.
    Taylor Average going up!

@CardGeek said:
    That pitcher they put in in the 9th gets lit up almost every time I see him pitch.

Barns caught most of the game. Smith needs days off sometimes. Barns hardly gets any play time.
    Kike did well at shortstop. Betts injured
    Biggio Just came in from the Blue Jays. Because Muncy is injured.
    Lux Doing well since coming back from knee injury.
    Taylor Average going up!

In hindsight they should have went with Seager over Turner at SS.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

I guess Turner didn't want to be in LA.

I think most fans would be very happy to have a 9 game lead in their division with nobody to challenge them. I know there's still a lot of baseball left, but none of the teams underneath them poses a legitimate threat, IMO.

Still just 5th best record in MLB.

You're right though, they're probably making the playoffs.

@CardGeek said:
    Still just 5th best record in MLB.

You're right though, they're probably making the playoffs.

There are 23 other teams who are so far behind in their division standings that would kill to be in your position.

edited June 20, 2024 11:11AM

Sometimes it seems like the competition is really in the dollars being spent. Don't want to make the rest if the league look too bad. Want to win the World Series though.

Baseball is supposed to be a game of large numbers of reps.

Yesterday I heard a story in the news about that made it seem like the athletes at the Olympics were complaining that they had to do sports when it's hot out.

@CardGeek said:
    Sometimes it seems like the competition is really in the dollars being spent. Don't want to make the rest if the league look too bad. Want to win the World Series though.

Baseball is supposed to be a game of large numbers of reps.

Yesterday I heard a story in the news about that made it seem like the athletes at the Olympics were complaining that they had to do sports when it's hot out.

LOL, sadly, the complaining about it being hot doesn't surprise me. People love to harp on the younger genration being entitled, but it is true to some extent. Perfect conditions when you compete in an outdoor sport rarely exist.

@CardGeek said:
    I guess Turner didn't want to be in LA.

They should have never traded for him! They had Seager, who should have been a Dodger for life.

He was named the NL Championship Series Most Valuable Player (MVP) and the World Series MVP while leading the Dodgers to the 2020 World Series title. After seven years with the Dodgers, Seager entered free agency and signed a 10-year contract worth $325 million with the Rangers. He was an All-Star in 2022 and 2023. Seager won the World Series with the Rangers in 2023 and was named World Series MVP for the second time (becoming only the 4th player to achieve this feat and the only player to win the World Series MVP in both leagues.

edited June 21, 2024 9:53AM

I think they picked up Turner when Seager got injured. They traded Seager while he was injured. Turner only had a 1 year deal.

If I remember right, Seager's first Bowman card was printed when Seager was 15 years old.

Landon knack has pitched 5 games for the dodgers this year. 30 innings with a 2 ERA. his record is 1-1. this entails the story of coach roberts. he should be 4-1 with 38-40 innings pitched. happens way too much.

What do you think Roberts did wrong last night?

Roberts pulled Knack at the right time. 2 out and runners on 1st and 3rd in the 5th up a run.

12 pitchers on the Dodgers injured list. https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/injuries/_/name/lad

Webb is a really good pitcher, against the Dodgers at least. I haven't looked at his numbers. He does really well every time I see him pitch against the Dodgers.

Dodgers had it tied up. Treinen just didn't hold. Came in and gave up 2 in the bottom of the 9th. Can't win um all.

Everything has been going well lately. Even without Betts. Rojas has been great at short.

cardgeek

you are mostly correct. they do have a bunch of people out. i get frustrated when they lose to horrible teams.

The Giants are looking pretty good for being under .500

@CardGeek said:
    The Giants are looking pretty good for being under .500

Nobody in the lineup is scary, really. They leave a lot to be desired sometimes.

Doval is a roller coaster ride in the 9th - drives me crazy, especially since I have him on my fantasy team LOL. They do have Robbie Ray, Alex Cobb, Kyle Harrison, and Snell (if he can figure it out) coming back from the IL, so starting pitching has the potential to be outstanding. That's where they can be competitve.

Rojas is coming on good.

Hopefully Chris Taylor can continue to play better. Before June he had been terrible.

They need to make some trades. Need another hitter and probably another starter. Walker and Clayton appeared to be about done.

im watching the dodgers game, they look horrible. this team is barely average. arizona looks way better. they got crushed last night.

dodgers are putting christian walker into the mvp discussion.

They did get crushed last night.

They've got to really like their pitching coach. Only really watching the Dodgers, I don't know how it works on other teams.

Yohan Ramirez gave up 3 hits a walk and 2 earned runs in 0.2. He's a rookie. He came in when they were already down by 6. I haven't seen him look good. They keep putting him in though. So they must see something.

This guy Michael Peterson looks like he could be interesting. But, he gave up 4 earned runs last night in the last 2 innings. He's a rookie. He's 6'7".

When I started typing this I thought they still had a chance today. They've given up 4 runs in the top of the 9th since I started typing.

Looks like Rojas and Smith had the day off.

It's really sad. The pitching is horrible and the hitting is very average. Need to fire Prior at a minimum.

• azvikeazvike Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

Can this please get moved to the sports talk forum?

Picked up a couple Rojas RCs for my PC. Like 1 dollar each.

nice pick up.

Roberts proved again last night just how dumb he is. Ramirez who had given up 6 runs in his last 3 outings (2 total innings), was brought in the 8th inning, dodgers down 3-1. He promptly gave up 5 runs in 2/3's of an inning. thus in in his last 4 appearances, a total of 2 2/3 innings(8 outs) he has given up 11 runs. I'm pretty sure my 14 year old son could do just as good.

This is just an asinine move, to say the least. They moved Paxton to the minors and he's 8-2 and they Keep Ramirez who is just plain terrible.

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dodger pitching is not good enough to be World Champions…

mint_only_pls
  • gorilla glue 4gorilla glue 4 Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:

Even if it was, Roberts would mismanage it. I never tire of seeing that dumbfounded look on his face.

How much did it sale for is one of the funniest and most ignorant things I've ever heard.

@mintonlypls said:

No doubt. Ramirez is 0-5. Maybe eliminating Ramirez would at least get them closer.

They have started 3 rookie pitchers Stone, Knack and Rivers and all three have done decent.

May Gonsolin and the Japanese pitcher appear to be done for the year.

Kershaw is back tonight, Buehler, Miller, Graterol are back soon (within 2 weeks).

Apparently Paxton is done with the dodgers. Kind of surprised a little by that.

@gorilla glue 4 said:

@mintonlypls said:

Even if it was, Roberts would mismanage it. I never tire of seeing that dumbfounded look on his face.

I agree 100%. it's like -- I can't believe ramirez gave up more runs