Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I'm a Dodger fan, but..

I am not a Dave Roberts fan. This guy is not a good manger. Over the years I have watched him make the same bone head decisions time and time again. Mainly like last night. The announcers during the broadcast even talked about it. Before the game the Dodgers knew that the bullpen was down a couple of pitchers due to several factors. So Dustin May is just mowing down the Padres. 10 K's through 6 and a 7-1 lead. So why in the crap do you take him out? Roberts has done this type of idiotic managing for years. It's cost Clayton Kershaw about 15 wins.

I know a bunch of you are going to tell me about the 100 pitch count Bullcrap. But when a pitcher is this hot and your bullpen is low, just keep him going. He doesn't have to pitch him 120 pitches every game, but this game was a bigger game. Let him go 8 and they win easily. They could start Price a game to give him another day's rest in between.

Just blowing off steam. Thanks,

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

10000% agree on Roberts.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Bull_BearBull_Bear Posts: 86 ✭✭

You’re spot on. Also, the pitch count is a joke IMO. Imagine telling Bob Gibson or Koufax they were limited to 100 pitches and guess their reaction.

"I'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball"
    Charlie Hustle

• Options

Also agree with you. Dave Roberts = great man but horrendous manager. It’s been that way for years. So hard to watch so I don’t watch anymore. So much talent on the Dodgers that most anyone on these boards could do a better job. Just junk! And don’t even get me started on giving David Price a ring for last year.

• Options

Dodgers are completely Stacked, I thing its nice to let some others win some games!

• Options
    firstbase23firstbase23 Posts: 450 ✭✭✭

It's kind of funny in a way, Today's pitchers are in so much better shape than their counterparts from 30-50 yrs ago. Yet they have to come out of games earlier and earlier. I wonder why that is?

Matt

• Options
    Sidepocket1Sidepocket1 Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

Agreed. And you HAVE to put away the Padres whenever you have the chance. Same with the Giants.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with you, but as a Padres fan, I'm glad Roberts pulled May out :D.

Steve

• Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

@firstbase23 said:
    It's kind of funny in a way, Today's pitchers are in so much better shape than their counterparts from 30-50 yrs ago. Yet they have to come out of games earlier and earlier. I wonder why that is?

Matt

It's a great point. If guys are in such incredible shape and they are adhering to the magic formula of X innings to maximize their output - why isn't it showing up on the field? Why aren't all starting pitchers 10% more effective than in previous eras?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    I am not a Dave Roberts fan. This guy is not a good manger. Over the years I have watched him make the same bone head decisions time and time again. Mainly like last night. The announcers during the broadcast even talked about it. Before the game the Dodgers knew that the bullpen was down a couple of pitchers due to several factors. So Dustin May is just mowing down the Padres. 10 K's through 6 and a 7-1 lead. So why in the crap do you take him out? Roberts has done this type of idiotic managing for years. It's cost Clayton Kershaw about 15 wins.

I know a bunch of you are going to tell me about the 100 pitch count Bullcrap. But when a pitcher is this hot and your bullpen is low, just keep him going. He doesn't have to pitch him 120 pitches every game, but this game was a bigger game. Let him go 8 and they win easily. They could start Price a game to give him another day's rest in between.

Just blowing off steam. Thanks,

Twins manager Rockhead Baldummy has pulled Jose Berrios twice in the last two years in the playoffs while the Twins were leading the Yankees only to have the bullpen lose both games.

Idiot!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Dave Roberts had the greatest stolen base in history. I watched it on TV, holding my newborn son at Mass Gen, with the lights from Fenway glowing out the window. Everyone in the stadium knew he was going, and he was safe.

I will not speak ill of the man.

And you’re welcome for Mookie, by the way.

• Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was at the game behind home plate in the grandstand. Place was electric when he stole and when he scored off of Bill Mueller’s hit vs Mariano. Never felt the old barnyard and I mean old so electric. It was as if we knew that was the turning point. Getting steamy just thinking about it. Those who suffered for so long understand.

Sorry about his managerial skill set, sounds like he should let his players play!!!!!!

@GreenSneakers said:
    Dave Roberts had the greatest stolen base in history. I watched it on TV, holding my newborn son at Mass Gen, with the lights from Fenway glowing out the window. Everyone in the stadium knew he was going, and he was safe.

I will not speak ill of the man.

And you’re welcome for Mookie, by the way.

• Options

You guys are welcome for Kiki Hernandez! Dude is a stud and can do it all. Good to see him leading off for Boston. Verdugo is pretty good as well. You guys can have David Price back and we will throw in Robert’s as a manager. No one talking ill about him... just stating the facts. Maybe he should teach his guys how to steal.

• Options

Oh yeah we will throw in Kenly Jansen as well

• Options

I'm with you on Roberts, but I'm a Padre fan and really don't think much of Jayce Tingler. He's part of this new breed of managers that insists on using multiple guys out of his bullpen every day. He pulls Starters way too soon, particularly Blake Snell twice. He's had 2 games this year where he actually ran out of relievers because he started plowing through them in the early innings. I really don't like the way managers baby their SP's these days...

• Options

@firstbase23 said:

Matt

@firstbase23 said:

Matt

I believe it comes down to money and what players make today vs what players made way back in the day. Owners are protecting their multi million dollar investments. Remember the crap the Nats pulled a few years back in what I want to say Strasburg’s rookie or second year and his season pitch limit vs making the playoffs? I hate the pitch count like I hate the DH but I understand why unfortunately.

Bull

"I'd walk through Hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball"
    Charlie Hustle

• Options
    MilehighHOFMilehighHOF Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I'm a Rockies fan and wish we had the same "problems" the Dodgers have.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I fully endorse the pitch count. As a Cubs fan would have much rather have the dominant duo of Wood and Prior not go under the knife at age 21 and 25. The Dodgers are going to make the postseason without having to damage their arms. One game in April is not worth it.

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

When is Mookie going to start elevating the ball? 2 HR and only 5 RBI?? I hope it is soon.

• Options

Dustin May out for the season - Tommy John surgery!

Steve

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Roberts just blew another in Chicago bringing in the wrong pitcher with a 2 run lead. Dodgers are now 1-5 in the softball rules extra inning games. What about using 10 pitchers in an 11 inning game the other night and using all his bench players in the same game where Kershaw has to pinch hit? Great guy, terrible manager.

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    Roberts just blew another in Chicago bringing in the wrong pitcher with a 2 run lead. Dodgers are now 1-5 in the softball rules extra inning games. What about using 10 pitchers in an 11 inning game the other night and using all his bench players in the same game where Kershaw has to pinch hit? Great guy, terrible manager.

Hopefully they fire him and hire a little league coach. The little league coach looks to be more qualified. Just think if he coached a team with average talent. They would likely win around 40 games a year.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2021 9:10PM

I watch just about every Dodger game and it amazes me how many players they have that are not fundamentally sound. Prolly true of all teams, once you get to the majors as they forget basics. For example tonight Justin Turner rounds third trying to score and goes all the way home running well into the grass toward the dugout. If he runs the bases correctly he scores easily but because he ran from third to home well into the grass he’s out easily.
    Hope Mookie Betts is planning on giving the Dodgers a refund at the end of the season as he is batting a cool .248. Was 0-6 tonight with 3 strike outs,
    One other thing, the Dodgers have long been noted for their farm system. Of the 7 or 8 they have brought up this year I don’t see any future stars, anyone?

• Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

Turner rounding third horribly was only part of his problem...the other problem was the trailer he was towing behind him while running the bases😄

• Options

Say hello to Albert Pujols!

Steve

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2021 6:31AM

@firstbase23 said:

Matt

They don’t have to come out. Bullpens are loaded with power arms like never before so there is no reason to stretch a pitcher late into a game.

• Options

yep. need some rbi's

• Options

Bauer threw 126 pitches tonight, the highest pitch total in the big leagues this year and only pitched 6.1 innings but got the win against the Giants. Hard to believe Roberts let him throw that many.

• Options

i agree. 7 straight wins. looking better.

• Options

kenley jansen need i say anymore. arias 7 ip 1 run, buehler 7 ip 1 run. jansen 1 ip two night 7 runs. might want to remove him from the team soon. something called coaching.

• Options
    DgofwinterDgofwinter Posts: 66 ✭✭

What was the famous Albert Einstein quote??? Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Dave Roberts=train wreck.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2021 9:57PM

Agree! Roberts seems like a nice guy but he costs the Dodgers at least 10 games a year, prolly more. Then again the Dodgers have the second most wins in baseball and woukd have the most if not for the Kenley Jansen meltdowns the last 2 nights. That with all the injuries to key pkayers. Jansen could have won last night except for a horrible 3rd strike no call when the first base ump said he didn’t swing when he obviously did. Roberts got ejected.

BTW- Is it just me or has umpiring been absolutely horrible this year.

• Options
    edited July 23, 2021 11:21PM

Chalk another one up to Roberts tonight.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭

@Bull_Bear said:
    You’re spot on. Also, the pitch count is a joke IMO. Imagine telling Bob Gibson or Koufax they were limited to 100 pitches and guess their reaction.

Well Sandy did have that really bad arthritis to deal with...so maybe with the 100 pitch guideline (and that's what it should be, a guideline ) he could've lasted a few more years, maybe?

I guess I can't fault them too much for that 100 pitch thing...I mean if you're gonna invest seven-eight figures a year for a guy you wanna make sure you don't screw it up, right?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

To the OP: I will trade you one Aaron Boone for one Dave Roberts :/

Daniel
  • Options

roberts is up to it again. the dodgers organization has handed him the most cy young award winners in history, an all-star line up, yet he is stupid to figure anything out. pulls his 13 game winner out by pinch hitting with 2 outs and no one on, and he has given up 0 runs. very low IQ manager. whatever they are paying him is about that much too much.

• Options

Yep and his pitch count was 82. Dodgers then blew a 4-0 lead but won in the 10th. It was only the Dodgers 2nd win in extra innings this year. Now 2-13.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

Looks pretty good to me. :D

• Options

So lucky.

• Options

The Giants are dusting off their brooms for the sweep that’s about to occur

• Options

So far so good. The Dodgers did play much better the last 40 games or so. They got a littler healthier also, that helps. Should be a good series. Urias, Buehler, Scherzer. First three up.

• Options

Big win last night. Put away the best team in the majors at their place. Give Roberts credit he made the right calls.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Braves without Acuna
    Dodgers without Bauer, Kershaw, Muncy (and kinda without Bellinger)

Who’d have thought it would go down like this.

• Options
    CardGeekCardGeek Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

That was the wackiest game I saw all year.

• Options

Hope the Dodgers have something left after the SF series. Dodgers are the better team but Braves can win the series. Captain obvious.

• Options

roberts can't help himself. terrible job with the rotation last night and now he takes out scherzer after 4 1/3. what a dumb--- move.

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Max said he was done, arm was shot.
    He went as long as he could on short rest..
    Go Braves 😁

• Options

I think the Dodgers thought they had it won after the Giants. They didn’t.

• Options

Coach Roberts has once again screwed up another season. The Dodgers give him everything each year and each year he has no idea what he is doing. I really hope they make a change.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with what you say about Dave roberts in taking out their starting pitcher too early
    That is the exact problem with manager Scott in Seattle !!!

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

Agree - Roberts is a joke. He has had a decade plus of amazing teams and only one ring. Dusty Baker did the same thing to great SF, CIN, and WAS teams.