Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here’s one of my 1909 S Halves with an inverted MM:

Gorgeous

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

Any recent Barber newps out there?

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2024 9:08PM

I wanted to get a 1900 O with a reverse of 1899 Barber quarter and found this one recently:

A slight upgrade from my Dansco's VG.

From Jon (dimeman)

"Hi guys,

It's coming up on 7 years since we lost our best friend Mike. Boy, do I STILL miss him. We used to badger each other on who was the oldest! LOL

I always looked forward to seeing him each year at Winter FUN. PLus, we went back and forth on the forum and lot's of PM's. I remember him telling me "I feel like *****" shortly before he passed. I thought he had the flu or something. Then he told me what he had......my heart sank. Then shortly after we got the word of his passing on the forum. What a gut punch that was!

I just spent the whole afternoon going through his thread. It brought up fond memories of our time together. He was Mr. Barber Man!

Your Barber Friend, Jon"

• JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a nice one!

I love them Barber Halves.....
    edited July 5, 2024 3:00PM

Show on this thread a nice CAC Barber! that you don't plan on selling anytime soon.

EDIT to add:

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

A recently arrived newp that I hope goes from AU50 ANACS to an XF45 in the crossover.

• Tim

edited July 24, 2024 10:29AM

1890 Lib Nickel newp. Note the image was taken through the 2x2 plastic so I didn't have to mess with the staples.

See you at the BCCS booth at WFoM July 7th!

• Tim

@sedulous said:
    1890 Lib Nickel newp. Note the image was taken through the 2x2 plastic so I didn't have to mess with the staples.

See you at the BCCS booth at WFoM July 7th!

• Tim

EDIT: BCCS meeting in the AM on the 7th!

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 950 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    A recently arrived newp that I hope goes from AU50 ANACS to an XF45 in the crossover.

• Tim

Like the luster - seems to me it has potential to cross over at the same grade.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

I vote for going AU.

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impatience of a young collector with severe budgetary/financial constraints coupled with terrible photography skills never dampened the enthusiasm of the exhilarating journey o:)

Fun times........

@vulcanize You have some tougher dates in there! Where's the covered hole for the '94-S?

@JeffMTampa Your AU fixation, ugghh.

@erwindoc Nice coin Jason

@Bigtree If your half dollar was the one I think I first saw not too long ago, it was already sold in quick fashion. You must have bought it soon after it was made available!. Congratulations on that pick-up, VERY nice!

Here is a raw '94-O Half in close to XF grade I found earlier today at my local coin shop:

• Tim

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2024 11:30PM

@sedulous said:
    @vulcanize You have some tougher dates in there! Where's the covered hole for the '94-S?

• Tim

Thank you.

Sadly I keep getting outbid on the 1894-S all the time even when offering 20 times face value. Someone decided to up the ante and beat my offer by $1,997,498. :s:#

Jokes aside, the Dansco did not have the covered hole.

** Edited to add link o:)

I submitted an 1888 and 1890 to our hosts for grading as they were raw coins from my local coinshop on 8/7/2024. After striking out at the WFoM for the most part, I come back home to my local shop the next day and find, although common, this No Cents Liberty Nickel:

• Tim

edited August 9, 2024 7:37AM

@sedulous Tim I think once you go AU you never wanna go back.

Another coin shop pick...

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked this up over the weekend from an old ANACS holder. What do you think it would grade when crossed or cracked out. No cheating!

Added this to my sets too!

Jason, darker-toned 53? Nice color on your '92!... and I didn't cheat so I may be way off.

Here is one of my recent pick-ups:

@erwindoc - the 1907 D Quarter looks like a 53 to 55 to me. I like to be generous.

• BarbercoinBarbercoin Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Tim,

Love the crusty 04o 25c! Great pick up!

@erwindoc - the color of the toning is awesome on the 07d 25c! I totally agree with JeffmTampa on the grade. Nailed it!

Here’s my latest pickup, returning tomorrow. Way too many hairlines which were not visible in the sale pics. I don’t care for them. Same as the last purchase, too many hairlines but I kept that one.

WTB: Barber Quarters XF

Here is another newp below (1899-O).

@Barbercoin, That '05-O quarter is a tough date to find nice BTW... it is challenging to get one at all in XF45.

1899-O Barber Quarter PC45:

• Tim

Oh, you rat! Where did you find that! Geesh! I want it! I’m looking all over Earth for these.

Perfect in every way! Well, your way, that is :D:D

John

edited August 19, 2024 7:02PM

@Barbercoin The GC photo of a recently sold '05-O is shown in this shot:

The one I have has provenance from Lenny Rizzo of Rizzo Rare Coins and Dave W. in Florida. There are only 3 with green CAC sticker. My 1905-O Barber Quarter in PCGS XF45 and CAC sticker I have had since June 2020...

1905-O Barber Quarter PCGS XF45 CAC

EDIT: Notice the mintmark placement difference.

• Tim

If I’m not mistaken, I think I bid on that GC 05o and lost. My bidding was too slow and waited too late. Maybe.

Your Barbers are fantastic, wish I could see them in hand! Mike Hayes would be proud!

@Barbercoin said:

Your Barbers are fantastic, wish I could see them in hand! Mike Hayes would be proud!

I agree!

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seriously loving all these New Orleans coins. Well done guys - keep them coming!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm seriously loving all these New Orleans coins. Well done guys - keep them coming!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Keeping it going...

1908-O Barber Quarter PC30

We should restart to give the half dollars some love. Here is a fall-color type of '05-O Barber Half to commemorate the kids going back to school:

Tough 1905-O Barber Half Dollar PC58

• Tim

edited August 23, 2024 6:20AM

I have used this book and really enjoyed it for the dime series. Is there a similar text for the quarter or half series? Google search and Amazon did not show anything quickly.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:

I have used this book and really enjoyed it for the dime series. Is there a similar text for the quarter or half series? Google search and Amazon did not show anything quickly.

NOPE! It's a great book and Jeff Ambio put a lot of effort into it. Just comparing the values 15 years ago with today's values shows coin values within a series go up and down. Send Jeff an e-mail at Stack's telling him you would like to see another book. :)

He did write a similar book on Walkers.

@DisneyFan said:

@erwindoc said:

NOPE! It's a great book and Jeff Ambio put a lot of effort into it. Just comparing the values 15 years ago with today's values shows coin values within a series go up and down. Send Jeff an e-mail at Stack's telling him you would like to see another book. :)

He did write a similar book on Walkers.

My understanding is Jeff's collecting interest is not beyond higher-end Barber Dimes but I may be wrong. He avoids Everyman in his dime text which was dissapointing. He also likes Walkers. With that in mind, I don't expect any efforts towards Barber quarters or halves. More info is coming, however, to the BCCS and barbercoins.org so stay tuned there.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

My understanding is Jeff's collecting interest is not beyond higher-end Barber Dimes but I may be wrong. He avoids Everyman in his dime text which was dissapointing. He also likes Walkers. With that in mind, I don't expect any efforts towards Barber quarters or halves. More info is coming, however, to the BCCS and barbercoins.org so stay tuned there.

Jeff Ambio's books do refer to investing and he is writing from the perspective of an Auction House.

@jedm said:
    Keeping it going...

Jed, I really like the quality of your '07-O quarter, FYI.

Tim

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's a Barber Quarter that I might not have previously posted from the first year of production:

Jeff, that '92 is 🔥 great looking

I have unofficially started the proof Barber dime series with this addition....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file