Options

Why didn’t this walker sticker?

lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

LCoopie = Les

Comments

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 7:15AM

There are certain areas on the coin that are referred to as "focal points" or "focal areas". Your eyes tend to notice contact marks, dings and scratches in those areas more so than if they are hidden in the devices. In this case those contact marks are in a prime focal area, really stand out and drop the coin from a "GEM" MS-65 to more like a 64.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 7:15AM

@pmh1nic said:
    There are certain areas on the coin that are referred to as "focal points" or "focal areas". Your eyes tend to notice contact marks, dings and scratches in those areas more so than if they are hidden in the devices. In this case those contract marks are in a prime focal area, really stand out and drop the coin from a "GEM" MS-65 to more like a 64.

Or could have been a “65-C” in the opinion of the person who declined to award it a CAC sticker.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m going to guess PVC.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    I’m going to guess PVC.

Hi Tom, I'm not familiar with how CAG handles PVC. If they find PVC on a slabbed coin do they give any explanation on paperwork when the coin is returned to the owner?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

The initial eye appeal is good with the luster and the toning, but there are too many little marks in the field to qualify as a coin in that grade IMO.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    willywilly Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB Are the spots by the T & Y PVC ??

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@pmh1nic said:

@TomB said:
    I’m going to guess PVC.

Hi Tom, I'm not familiar with how CAG handles PVC. If they find PVC on a slabbed coin do they give any explanation on paperwork when the coin is returned to the owner?

I've seen a number of failed submissions post with a red sticker on the front with PVC hand written on it.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@willy said:

You CANNOT tell whether a coin has PVC by looking at a picture.

• Options
    PumpkinheadPumpkinhead Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

Right obverse field is a key focal area. Weak strike (and a lot of chatter) central obverse. Also, I’m not 100% convinced by the toning…

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 8:33AM

The big reading mark in the right facing obverse field.

The toning may be artificial.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

I was face to face with J A who explained it to me.
    No one got it yet.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    No one got it yet.

High point rub?

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    No one got it yet.

It's a 58.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@willy said:

Your comment isn’t necessarily accurate. It depends on the coin and the picture.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

The toning looks just fine and attractive to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Walkerfan said:

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure. It looks better to me on my PC than on my iPhone.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

@Walkerfan said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerfan said:

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure. It looks better to me on my PC than on my iPhone.

You’re welcome. I’d toss the phone.
    😉

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imo it’s probably not a complicated one, I think it’s just a 64 with attractive toning to which PCGS gave a color bump. Looks weak as a technical 5.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options

And I got it from a reputable board member as well.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I can assure you of only one thing...... There are millions of collectors out there who don't care. They like the coin.

I can assure you that you can't accurately assure anyone that millions of collectors like the coin.

I can and I will. Do you like it , outside of the holder ?

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@DisneyFan said:

@willy said:

Your comment isn’t necessarily accurate. It depends on the coin and the picture.

You are correct, Mark. I was referring to this specific picture and the possibility of "beginning" PVC.
    @TomB said on the CAC Forum,
    "...if the PVC on a coin is not old then it will be more pliable and transparent, but as it ages it can get more brittle and translucent. This is likely why CAC (and CACG) catch so many PVC damaged coins in older holders."

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be happy with a 65 on that coin. I like the toning, but it’s pretty dingy.

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@MFeld said:

@DisneyFan said:

@willy said:

You are correct, Mark. I was referring to this specific picture and the possibility of "beginning" PVC.
    @TomB said on the CAC Forum,
    "...if the PVC on a coin is not old then it will be more pliable and transparent, but as it ages it can get more brittle and translucent. This is likely why CAC (and CACG) catch so many PVC damaged coins in older holders."

Thanks. I mistakenly took your comment as a general one.

In a sense, the comment by @TomB could apply to why CAC catches coins that have been puttied. A recent putty job can be very difficult to detect, But once the putty has dried out and turned color, voila!

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 10:56AM

@pmh1nic said:
    There are certain areas on the coin that are referred to as "focal points" or "focal areas". Your eyes tend to notice contact marks, dings and scratches in those areas more so than if they are hidden in the devices. In this case those contact marks are in a prime focal area, really stand out and drop the coin from a "GEM" MS-65 to more like a 64.

I think spot on "LIBERTY" took this one to 63.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    I would be happy with a 65 on that coin. I like the toning, but it’s pretty dingy.

Dingy?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@MFeld said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I can assure you of only one thing...... There are millions of collectors out there who don't care. They like the coin.

I can assure you that you can't accurately assure anyone that millions of collectors like the coin.

Yes, and inside too 🤪

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:

@Smudge said:

Dingy?

Dings on the right arm, the sun, and behind Liberty.

• Options
    HoldTheMayoHoldTheMayo Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2024 1:06PM

Nice coin but IMO too many dings in the fields. Those dings also are really concentrated.
    Your eyes kinda wander to that spot.
    This has more of an MS64+ look to me.

• Options

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

Lots of defects were found by the board based upon the photos.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

@FrankH said:

@pmh1nic said:

I think that hairlines are a more likely factor.

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 797 ✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    Lots of defects were found by the board based upon the photos.

But the coins marks don’t appear inconsistent with the 65 grade. The biggest problem is the coin shows up as already pointed out as a 1946 Washington Quarter. Something is very wrong

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does CAC also consider strike on these? I'm thinking about another thread... full strike Walkers. Now, I can't get the hand and thumb out of my brain. Yes, I see contact Mark's too, but I'm also thinking strike...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@lkenefic said:
    Does CAC also consider strike on these? I'm thinking about another thread... full strike Walkers. Now, I can't get the hand and thumb out of my brain. Yes, I see contact Mark's too, but I'm also thinking strike...

I’m sure they do but that doesn’t appear to be an issue in this case.

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 424 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that CAC feels the coin is an attractive toned slider.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@FrankH said:

@pmh1nic said:

I think that hairlines are a more likely factor.

Quite likely. But the SPOT was all I could look at. :s

• Options

@lcoopie said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@MFeld said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Yes, and inside too 🤪

When will you reveal JA answer?

• Options

The answer was the full slab photo

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    "Why didn’t this walker sticker?"

Because the obverse is peppered with contact marks.

And spots.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

I told you guys I am no expert but it did look like it was certainly right for 65, too many assumptions made about contact marks

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    JA says

It’s would sticker, he liked it, but they don’t sticker any label errors.

Doh…. I just looked at the date and grade and ignored the denomination!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file