Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Jinx86 said:

I really like this quarter! Very nice!! 👍

Special Mint Set, still all sealed up in OGP. Havent decided if I should cut it out and grade or keep as is. Leaning towards as is for OGP coolness factor.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2024 2:17PM

@Jinx86 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Jinx86 said:

Special Mint Set, still all sealed up in OGP. Havent decided if I should cut it out and grade or keep as is. Leaning towards as is for OGP coolness factor.

How did you acquire it? I have a few mint sets with clips. Yours is a really dramatic example for a mint set!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:

What in the world happened there with that quarter? It looks like a Littleton wrapper but without their usual supporting text.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Jinx86 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Jinx86 said:

How did you acquire it? I have a few mint sets with clips. Yours is a really dramatic example for a mint set!

Don't understand how a coin of that quality gets sent out

• Options

@sedulous said:

@Jinx86 said:

What in the world happened there with that quarter? It looks like a Littleton wrapper but without their usual supporting text.

Struck thru something, string or something.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Jinx86 said:

I’d keep it as is. That’s pretty cool, and it probably has extra value in the SMS packaging.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:
    This week’s big hunt: $300 in nickels and $750 in dimes.

I saw that one box of nickels has 27 rolls of solid 2022-D! I’m in Florida! I got two year old brand new coins from the other side of the country!

I also spotted this ender:

The nickel roll above the D in 2022 D is double rolled, or was :)

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:
    This week’s big hunt: $300 in nickels and $750 in dimes.

I saw that one box of nickels has 27 rolls of solid 2022-D! I’m in Florida! I got two year old brand new coins from the other side of the country!

I also spotted this ender:

The nickel roll above the D in 2022 D is double rolled, or was :)

Still is. I didn't unwrap the brand new ones.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 boxes now, a whole lot of nothing...

from the bank that brought you Dud, and the Son of Dud, has now released

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    3 boxes now, a whole lot of nothing...

from the bank that brought you Dud, and the Son of Dud, has now released

Never give up!
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2024 10:01PM

Rough but
    #240W
    2019W San Antonio

:)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

Small hunt:$300 in quarters and $50 in dollars.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Searching old silver Washington rolls...

I have only gone through 4 rolls. I found this and wanted to ask you all about it...

For 1963-D, Cherrypickers and CoinFacts only mention a DDO... but I found:

Here is the full coin... 1963-D/D RPM?

Here is a MM close-up... what do you think?

• Tim

Looks like it to me. Isn't there a way to report new varieties?

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@sedulous said:
    Searching old silver Washington rolls...

I have only gone through 4 rolls. I found this and wanted to ask you all about it...

For 1963-D, Cherrypickers and CoinFacts only mention a DDO... but I found:

Here is the full coin... 1963-D/D RPM?

Here is a MM close-up... what do you think?

• Tim

Looks like it to me. Isn't there a way to report new varieties?

Yes he can send it into Variety Vista or to Wexler or CONECA has an attribution area on there site as well. any of those will attribute new varieties.

• Options

@sedulous It looks like machine doubling with the flat shelf-like appearance plus there is serious MD not noticeable (except R in Quarter) due to the significant amount of wear to the coin. Either that or I have managed to pass over several new discoveries.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2024 1:37PM

After reading your notes, I took the coin to my local dealer over lunch. He believes it to be real seeing it in hand (a real D/D)

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    After reading your notes, I took the coin to my local dealer over lunch. He believes it to be real seeing it in hand (a real D/D)

Well, I have to admit it looks real but I’m no professional on these. In fact once I got a taste of high grade MS coins I basically quit looking for the minor errors and such.

• Options

@joeykoins got me looking for silver but only managed 15 new rolls (yellow wrapper) this time...

In order by grade though you might disagree which is #1 and which is #2 or which is 5 or 6.

• Options

@Coinscratch - What do you mean?

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

It's the DDO. Check out the doubling in Trust and a few other places.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yes, I know. And it's a nice one!

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    LOL guys, guys, guys! That's cool and all but I thought the point was to find the highest grades B)

No! It can also be a race to the bottom. A straight graded P0-1 Kennedy could be as elusive as an MS-70.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@Coinscratch said:
    LOL guys, guys, guys! That's cool and all but I thought the point was to find the highest grades B)

No! It can also be a race to the bottom. A straight graded P0-1 Kennedy could be as elusive as an MS-70.

Yeah but you can make one of those with a sander :D

• Options

This reminds me of the movie Castaway but instead of rubbing two sticks together he was rubbing this Kennedy in the sand.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2024 1:22PM

And besides, what do you mean "What do you mean" if you already know what I mean? :D

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to be mean, but, I found this mean looking 1940 nickel, no mint mark, tonight.
    I mean pocket change, see what I mean.

• Options

@emeraldATV said:
    Not to be mean, but, I found this mean looking 1940 nickel, no mint mark, tonight.

Yes, I see what you mean but you left no space for the green bean!

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mean while back at the ranch.......(Lassie///////////// .....You mean, in the mean time back to the forum, boy ?
    I don't know what you mean.

• Options

@emeraldATV said:

Who gave him photoshop abilities?

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 7:39AM

Just as you thought that it was safe to go back to the bank... They bring you Dud 4!!

That's now 4 full quarter boxes with nothing! That's 200 quarter rolls! 8000 quarters with no W's, no Silver, no S-mints...

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 9:04AM

I did a quarter box last week found three gold-plated SQs and some MS-AU late sixties.

@CRHer700 said:

Wow, I thought mine were bad.

• Options

Here is one of the tougher dates.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 210 ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 3:41PM

@Coinscratch said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yup, I expanded it in Photoshop and it hits every spot for FS-101: http://varietyvista.com/12 Kennedy Halves/DDO Detail Pages/1974DDDO001.htm

Good eye after roll hunting, I go metal blind!

• Options

@Slade01 said:

@Coinscratch said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yup, I expanded it in Photoshop and it hits every spot for FS-101: http://varietyvista.com/12 Kennedy Halves/DDO Detail Pages/1974DDDO001.htm

Good eye after roll hunting, I go metal blind!

Agree, at some point I just have to go sit down… like right now. So that was a nice surprise I have found two of those already but they were in ms 63 pretty sure this one will go 66 or close anyway.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 5:26PM

@Coinscratch said:
    These (date run) were anything but a dud in fact almost every pack has at least one stunner. These truly were from a collector and a collector of sets as well obviously. No way every set could be this good on accident.
    I’ll post pics and/or TVs, later 😎

I always loved finding those. A lot of people think all the nice sets are gone and have been for decades but between the destruction of sets that come to market and the segregation of sets by quality the average is barely lower at all. Where there is a difference is with varieties which are removed when identified so are grossly underrepresented.

Very few people collected the sets or the coins n them until the late-'70's but even before this it was possible to find groups of Gems. The best I ever found were several of each SMS that had been cherry picked. This was in the early-'90's and the cameos and Gems we re obviously not distributed together because they were from different dies.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options

@cladking said:

@Coinscratch said:
    These (date run) were anything but a dud in fact almost every pack has at least one stunner. These truly were from a collector and a collector of sets as well obviously. No way every set could be this good on accident.
    I’ll post pics and/or TVs, later 😎

I always loved finding those. A lot of people think all the nice sets are gone and have been for decades but between the destruction of sets that come to market and the segregation of sets by quality the average is barely lower at all. Where there is a difference is with varieties which are removed when identified so are grossly underrepresented.

Very few people collected the sets or the coins n them until the late-'70's but even before this it was possible to find groups of Gems. The best I ever found were several of each SMS that had been cherry picked. This was in the early-'90's and the cameos and Gems we re obviously not distributed together because they were from different dies.

I’m an optimist so the sheer number minted and produced is all I need.
    Lately, I’ve kept it to unopened boxes but these were from a seller that I also bought unopened boxes from so roll the bones and roll they did.
    I’m more excited for tomorrow’s shipment of around 15 boxes of 5 starting in the seventies bouncing around through 1998. The X factor here, they all have the same zip code, obviously same address that is blacked out. So again, from one collector to another and so on.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file