Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How often do you bid on items that you place on your watch list?

DCWDCW Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is mainly an eBay question, but it can be applied to all auctions. How often do you actively bid on the items you are watching?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

How often do you bid on items that you place on your watch list?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 5:02PM
    About 75% of the time

I very often put in a curiosity bid and then decide toward the end of the auction if I'm really serious about pursuing that specific coin. The ones I do not bid on are the coins where the starting price is already at retail or above.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only about 25% of the time

I will bid to keep them honest.

Sometimes I get lucky.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 175 ✭✭✭

i tend to ‘watch’ a variety of stuff…

• Priority stuff I want in my collection!
    • items I would buy, at a price…
    • and coins I seldom see, and/or are beyond my budget.
      It’s fun and educational to see where the bidding goes.

In short, I buy way less than 10% of my watchlist

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always. I don't waste my time watching items I'm not going after

I only put items on watch that I have an interest in winning. Then I take them off my watch list about ten minutes before the nuked snipe at 6 seconds left. I see no sense in bidding early and possibly running the bid up higher.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50% of the time

I'm admittedly "window shopping" for a few high dollar coins and have them on my watchlist just to see where the bidding is going to go. Around half the coins on my list will get some sort of consideration for a bid, but if the bidding gets out of hand early, then I'm just along for the ride. I tend to archive the actual auctions on ebay just to see where that market is for the coins on my list.

On ebay though, I also have to take into consideration the images and what might be hidden or "creatively edited". This will affect whether or not I even add the coin to my list. I've made a couple of scores on crumby images, but that was early on in ebay for me. Virtually everyone has a phone these days capable of taking pretty decent images.

In addition to higher end slabbed material, I also have raw coins on my list... so some of those "watches" are to gauge what's going to get bids and how many bidders. Just because something has dozens of "watchers" doesn't mean there will also be dozens of bidders. I also watch 99-cent start auctions... for the same reason. Occasionally, I'll find raw material for certain lower end sets and I'll bid on those, but recently the starting bids for better material should just be BIN's. I used to watch those just to see if anyone bites but I deleted them all after cluttering up my Watchlist with material I'd never bid on.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50% of the time

I'll mark an item to my watchlist. Know what my top bid is going to be. Once it goes over that, I'm done.

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

100 percent...my early bid is how they get on my watchlist.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only put it on the list with the intention to bid on it.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

I’m probably at 5% or less. I frequently put stuff on my watchlist just to see where it hammers—or if it’s a BIN listing, to see if it sells at all.

• Options

When you nuke and win an item it’s interesting to see how high the competition was truly willing to go. And I think man it must be nice to be that reserved and actually have a cut-off but they probably have more money than coins too.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 7:43PM

I don't do much with coins on eBay and haven't for years but on GC I'll watch probably 100 items in a year and bid on maybe six or eight. The majority of those are bids in the spirit of "well, if it falls through the cracks I'd be happy to have it at $X" and usually they don't. One or two a year I'll bid to really buy the thing.

mirabela
  • Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 210 ✭✭✭
    50% of the time

Based on tonight, more like 90%. I'm worn out. 5 for 5 on GC followed immediately by 18/20 at Heritage on the 12 Caesars. That's above my usual though because often I just like to follow to see what prices are doing in some specific area.

In any event, it's time for a stiff gin and tonic, then some sleep. Got up at 4:30 a.m. because my dogs were restless with a thunderstorm that came through.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may watch, but I never bid. Therefore I do not watch items up for bid.

• Options

@erscolo said:
    I may watch, but I never bid. Therefore I do not watch items up for bid.

What? :D

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

More like 10% of the time. I'm on a tight budget and the coin needs to be really exceptional.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watch a lot of items for the off chance of receiving an unsolicited lower price offer. I realize this is a passive approach but it probably pays dividends about 25% of the time.

Tim

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually place BINs that are higher than I want to spend today on watch. Auctions I usually bid next increment to watch.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes the bids go beyond my limit. Other times I mark them because I have the item and want see the selling price.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ProofmorganProofmorgan Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not that often as I use it as a tool to keep track of the market in my areas of interest.

Collector of Original Early Gold with beginnings in Proof Morgan collecting.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 75% of the time

I will bid on coins in my watch list until they are sold, or the bidding price exceeds what I wish to pay for it.
    I also have coins in my watch list that I follow until they come down in price or the auction ends.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭

At any particular time I will have several coins I am strongly interested in and will bid on one or two. I will have at least a couple dozen coins I have a casual interest in but would have to be at a specific price. Finally I always have a group of coins that I track to see if they might become a future interest. Put me down for 1% James

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't watch anything. This isn't in your poll.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options

@CRHer700 said:
    I don't watch anything. This isn't in your poll.

Well, you're watching this thread so... :D

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

The percentages thus far are inline with what I expected. The majority of watchers are just that or have reached their maximum.
    It’s very typical to see 16 or 17 watchers and only four or five bidding.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to study the market and price trends.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been known to throw a 25 cent on the dollar bid on an item and put it on the watch list.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the 10 to 15% range. I like to see where some prices are sticking at, fwiw

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 11:50AM
    50% of the time

The deal has to be there as I use AS. Will check back with it some to see if still in the hunt.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file