Home Sports Talk
Options

Boston Red Sox are having numerous ups and downs this season

Comments

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

@bgr said:

It sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life.

Well, tks for the observation. Actually, I'm very happily retired and live a pretty stress free life.
    Perhaps I'll just tone it down a bit and let the Red Sox performace going forward speak for itself.

In that case, congratulations.

I wasn't trying to be critical. I have just come to enjoy starting my day with an update on the Red Sox and whether they are going to win it all or lose it all. I love roller-coasters.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭✭

It will do that for sure one way or another is what I have learned over my years of watching them. In the major leagues every team wants to win and only one will become victorious each year and the Red Sox had a long drought over the years where they sucked. We have had the pleasure of being on the winning end quite often since 2004 so will not complain when the law of averages catches up with them and just enjoy the chase.

• Options

Good luck against Shota. I might have that game on along side the brewers-Yankees.

• Options

If you want the upside of yesterdays games the Red Sox did not lose any ground in yesterdays loss as all the teams ahead of them also lost.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2024 6:20PM

Big day for Rafaela with 4 hits & 7 rbi's and Bobby Dalbek even had a couple of hits which was also important as Casas is out for at least 90 days. Picking up 1st baseman Cooper from the Cubs was also a good move as all it cost them was cash.

• Options

Picking up Cooper from the Cubs is a great move by the Red Sox as Dalbec just was not making the grade.
    He has a good glove but can't hit his way out of a paper bag!
    They have stayed close in the race without some key players and as some of them come back starting today you will see improvement in their play.
    Houck will be the stopper that they need as he is pitching well this year.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2024 7:42PM

Pitchers are doing great.
    6th shutout this year for the Red Sox.
    Abreu hitting the cover off the ball and playing right field like Dwight Evans.
    Rafaela playing shortstop like Petrocelli.
    Team is playing great baseball and climbing toward 1st place.
    Devers is not making errors.
    Team still has lots of players on the IL but sill keep right on winning.
    GO RED SOX !!!!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

GO SOX!!!!

This team is playing better than I thought they would as of right now

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, they are indeed playing very well. Let's hope it can continue.

• Options

Every time on of them gets hurt there is always someone there to jump in and take their place without skipping a beat.
    Having good backup players with desire to win in AAA is always good.
    The pitching coach has obviously changed something that has improved the quality there too.

• Options

Now 1 1/2 games out!

• Options

Twins and Braves are next up for the Red Sox.
    These 2 series are crucial for the Sox.
    GO SOX !!!!!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Twins and Braves are next up for the Red Sox.
    These 2 series are crucial for the Sox.

Why are these 2 series"crucial for the Sox??"

• Options

Win 4 out of 6 to show and they will show that they are serious contenders and not pretenders.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Win 4 out of 6 to show and they will show that they are serious contenders and not pretenders.

I don't think if they lose all 6 or win all 6 will really mean much of anything. The majority of teams have only played about 20% of the 162 game season, still 130 to go. Chasing standings every day, like I said earlier is like looking at your 401k every morning, will indeed make you crazy!! What if they get to first place next week, means nada. What's important is how they finish.

Crack a beer, enjoy the games.

It's a marathon, not a sprint

• Options

The sox have been forced to play with players that are below the opposition players since the season opener and have done well considering but now are facing much better quality players . Hopefully they will start getting some of them back soon as it's hard to compete right now. It's still early in the season so we shall see what happens. Baltimore's is definitely the best so far.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sox playing better than predicted,Celtics moving on, and Bruins advancing as well. Bean town is alive and well. Keep it going.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

All things Boston ain't lookin' good.

They are now 5-5 in their last 10, but are in the middle of the pack and doing the best they can to stay competitive. Because I live in the Atlanta area, no Sale for me, blacked out. I guess the people who agree to this nonsense think over 6 million locals are supposed to jam into 41,000 seats. Clue to the brainiacs, we still buy advertised products...oh well, there's always Netflix and Amazon Prime...youtube is always good for some zany entertainment.

Cheer up, oh Ye of Red Sox Nation, the season's early, they may surprise even me at the end. Oh Ye of little faith, you gotta post when it rains, not just when it's sunshine and roses.

• Options

Hopefully they will improve as they get some of their players back.Sale was good tonight and the Sox were not! As I said last week he next 10 games were crucial and they lost most of them.The season is just about 1/4 over now so they better get their act together soon.

• Options
    edited May 11, 2024 9:34AM

Dark clouds are forming !!

4-6 in their last 10 games, and losing the last 6-7 is a sign of something, and it ain't good. The pitching is pretty good, but the bats are cold. Now at .500 and approaching the cliff. At 6.5 games back, while it's still early, almost 25% of the season has been played. Every game going forward does become pretty important, maybe not critical, but getting close, especially with those above, i.e. Orioles and Yankees continue to play well, catching the train at this point may be slipping away earlier than expected.

It's only baseball.

• Options

Baseball… is life!

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭✭

Boston wearing UCLA colors will never not be awful

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Hopefully they will improve as they get some of their players back.Sale was good tonight and the Sox were not! As I said last week he next 10 games were crucial and they lost most of them.The season is just about 1/4 over now so they better get their act together soon.

Tommy, I hope everything is ok.

Have not heard any Red Sox news in a few days.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2024 5:11AM

Last nights loss was on Cora as he left Houck in to pitch 120 pitches when it was clear he had run out of gas. Time for him to get fired! Devise made another error and he is not hitting . I still say he can not be a 3rd baseman and should be used as the DH.

• Options

NO, all things Boston Red Sox are not looking good!

They are now 8.5 games back in the AL East, and are at .489, having lost 7 of their last 10. While the season is still relatively early, still, 28% of the season has been played. The Yankees and Orioles are playing very, very well, and I suspect will continue to extend their lead either leap frogging each other, or one may have a break out run and rule the top spot. I think the Orioles are the team to beat.

Red Sox came in last in their Division in the previous 3 out of 4 seasons, 2020, 2022, 2023, ending each season at 16, 21, and 23 GB. The team appears to be on track to have yet a 4th dismal season. Can't lay it all on Cora, clearly the IL has been a big factor, but still, something isn't clicking with this team. Cora has been driving this bus for most of this time, the exception was Roenicke for a short stint in 2020. Cora isn't the worst manager, that title clearly belongs to Bobby Valentine, the most boneheaded decision made by management. But, Cora is indeed #2 in my book...I have no clue what management sees in the Cheater!

I won't say the season is lost yet, but if things don't improve soon, they may well find themselves in an uncrecoverable tail spin. If there isn't a dent in the current deficit by June 1st, I'd say Dandy Don will be warming up.

• Options

They are obviously and painfully looking like a .500 team at best

• Options

Now 9.5 GB and steadily going downhill.

So, what does the manager have to say about the situation ?

Red Sox.com provides the following quote from the Cheater last night.
    Cora's fix for Sox's slump: 'We have to start producing runs'
    WOW, how insightful!

The only way this ship will stop taking on water is when Cora disappears. Did he really bring in a rookie to pitch in the 8th last night when it was 2-2 ? Yes he did, and the wheels came off...again. Refsnyder looked like a little leaguer in RF.

• Options

Unfortunately even I am having a hard time watching the Red Sox play and Cora HAS to go if they are to get back in contention. When you see a pitcher that is over 100 pitches and he is sent back into the game & you see the manager send him for another inning you know it should have been the manager that was let go right after the game ended. His head is up his ass!

• Options

Steve...

I know I'm pretty hard on the Red Sox and their performance. I simply can't rah rah the team when I see so many glaring deficiencies. Everything I post in numeric terms are factual...my comments are obviously my own opinions, harsh as they may seem.

These guys are being paid a FORTUNE to play a kid's game 3 hrs a day, 6 months a year. They are supposed to be the elite players in MLB...Refsnyder didn't look very elite to me last night! Cora puts in a rookie pitcher when the game was 2-2, and boom.

I want the team to excel and do well, I want them to be competitive, I just don't see anything that resembles excellence with this team, nor do they look competitive. They have now dug a very deep hole now being 9.5 back, and the road ahead ain't lookin' too easy either.

So, they can dance around with all their sabermetric crap and make miniscule percentile decisions based on a player's past performance, which to me is just stupid. What a player did yesterday means nada going forward. And, the sabermetric nuts accumulate date from so long ago as to make it laughable, then they crunch their "data" and come up with some Holy Grail stuff that they base decisions on.

I think it is insane...INSANE to have committed almost 1/3 of a B I L L I O N $$$ to Devers. It's guaranteed $$, so where is the incentive to excel?? Isn't it mind-numbing to know that he is making at least $185.2k PER GAME!!!

I'm sorry to tell you, I think our team is already toast.
    I won't qutoe Dandy Don yet, but I'm very, very close.

Where did all the magic go???

• Options

Devers setting a Red Sox record with his 6th consecutive game with a HR

• Options

He certainly is excelling at the plate. I'm a little surprised that others haven't posted about his batting. Not very often you can see a player do this well, if only temporarily. Congrats to Devers!

The team is now back to .500, but still have a mountain to climb.

• Options

Sure Devers is hitting some home runs now but the errors he makes offset them.
    Make him the DH because he never will be a 3rd baseman as they have been trying to make him.

• Options

I'm just hoping for some good baseball the rest of the way and if they can make it to the play-offs then we shall see what we see. It is just good to have baseball to watch for another season at my age. At least, unlike my father, I got to see the Sox win a few World Series games.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

At least, unlike my father, I got to see the Sox win a few World Series games.

Me too.

Keep the faith, miracles do happen.

• Options

I am glad the Sox got something out of the Betts trade as their young catcher is a sight to watch. Abreu in right field is a great find too. Duran and Rafaela are fun to watch. The pitching staff will improve on what we have seen so far as injuries have taken their toll this year.I really don't know if a miracle will happen with them this year but we will see.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Sure Devers is hitting some home runs now but the errors he makes offset them.
    Make him the DH because he never will be a 3rd baseman as they have been trying to make him.

Its really not easy to DH. Theres a reason why only a hand full of people can do it full time and most players fail at it. You sit around for a half hour then get an at bat and if you do poorly theres no way to make up for it in the field

Theres been some greats like Cruz, Ortiz, JD and Edgar Martinez but for everyone of those theres numerous Arods whose numbers significantly drop as a DH. Devers has limited time at DH and did fine, but thats also a really bad contract if he does become a full time DH

• Options

How could you forget Molitor. You should be ashamed! :)

• Options

He did fine at DH and he sucks as a 3rd baseman so put Dalbec at 3rd until you can trade for someone who can handle 3rd base. Dalbec could start hitting while they are looking for somebody but he is an excellent 3rd baseman. Most of your DH types are getting big money as Ortiz did and to have a good one for long term is not a bad idea.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    He did fine at DH and he sucks as a 3rd baseman so put Dalbec at 3rd until you can trade for someone who can handle 3rd base. Dalbec could start hitting while they are looking for somebody but he is an excellent 3rd baseman. Most of your DH types are getting big money as Ortiz did and to have a good one for long term is not a bad idea.

Sample size of him at DH is insignificant. The other guys that got paid for being DHs did so before hand. No ones really paying DHs big money anymore. Stanton got moved there because he cant stay healthy, Othani they want to pitch as well when he recovers from TJ,

• Options

Speed is the name of the Red Sox game this year ! I don't know who is the fastest member but they are sure doing their job and it is showing up in the win column. Duran, Hamilton, Wong and Rafaela have put baseball on notice that they have arrived and its fun to watch.

• Options

Looks like an interesting game 3 today with the sun. Yikes.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Sample size of him at DH is insignificant. The other guys that got paid for being DHs did so before hand. No ones really paying DHs big money anymore. Stanton got moved there because he cant stay healthy, Othani they want to pitch as well when he recovers from TJ,

We have had more than enough of a sample of his fielding to see what he can do at 3rd base.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

We have had more than enough of a sample of his fielding to see what he can do at 3rd base.

Hes certainly not a Machado or Arenado by any means. That contracts just a disaster though if he gets moved to DH that fast

• Options

Down 11-3 today, not looking so great

• Options

No, there pitching is going he way of he dodo bird!

• Options

There is something obviously not clicking with the Red Sox. Of course I could easily blame Alex (the cheater) Cora for the mess the team is in, but I think it's deeper than that. BTW, is it me, or does Cora seem disinterested, lacking a spark, or like his dog died?

I haven't looked too deeply into the numbers, but with exactly 1/3 of the season gone, and with the team playing .500 ball and 9 GB, while the teams above them (AL East), are well above .650, it's painfully obvious to see where the season is going. Pitching has become sketchy, the walking wounded aren't returning quickly enough...Masa? Masa?? The bats appear to be hot and cold to very cold. Devers is up and down, like riding in the Prudential elevator game after game. Can't quite figure him out, hopefully he never accidentally swallows that chunk of Skoal.

If the Os sweep, it may well be the nail in the coffin. The only hope at this point, IMO, is a wildcard, but that too could easily slip away, and even if they got a spot, one game playoffs are not easy to win.

So, to the Fenway Faithful, I see no way this team ends up any better than 4th or last (again) in the AL East. Hopefully the powers to be recognize it's time for somebody else to drive the bus, and NOT boot Cora into some cushy office job. Let him go back to Puerto Rico, the sooner, the better. If 3 last places finishes in a row won't can him, I don't know what will.

• Options
  • Options

@bgr said:
    Have you read "Winning fixes everything"?

Have you read what the local sports writer is saying?

The Red Sox have played 7 series against teams that are at least 5 games over .500. They’ve lost all of them. “If you want to be a playoff team, you’ve got to beat teams over .500. Period.
    Alex Speier, Boston Globe.

• Options

Yet another loss, playing .491 ball and 10.5 GB. They appear to be trying to reach the bottom.

Next week they play 4 with the lowly White Sox in Chicago. They need to at least win 2/4, better yet, sweep, which shouldn't be too hard to do given the WS stats. If they fail to hammer the WS, comes the Phillies and Yankees next, which could really nail things for the Red Sox.

Tough times for Red Sox Nation.