Another Coin Dealer Vehicle Burglary!!

MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 21, 2024 3:28PM in U.S. Coin Forum

_"INVESTIGATING AGENCY: Castle Shannon PD
REPORT NUMBER: N/A
TYPE OF INCIDENT: VEHICLE BURGLARY
DATE OCCURRED: 4/14/24
INCIDENT LOCATION: CASTLE SHANNON, PA

A dealer leaving the Castle Shannon coin show stopped at a convenience store for only several minutes and while inside a suspect smashed the window of the victim’s van and removed a roller-bag filled with cash, coins and personal property. The suspects have been identified as a male and female of possible Hispanic or Middle Eastern descent. The female suspect pictured below followed the victim inside the store while the male suspect entered the vehicle. The suspects left the scene in a black Ford Escape with license plate BPK4275."_

Honestly, I feel sorry for the dealers who get robbed. My store in Hawaii was broken into and merchandise taken whenever I owned it, so I know the feeling firsthand. But Dealers must take responsibility for their own actions. At the Gettysburg show I briefed the dealers, and, especially those who I felt were at high risk because of their actions. I told one dealer, who is always hungry, to go to a drive through, such as McDonald's or Kentucky Fried Chicken to avoid leaving his vehicle unattended. He said: "I don't like McDonalds and last time I ordered KFC drive through they shorted me 2 pieces of chicken, so I won't use drivethroughs! I back my car in whenever I go to the restaurants on the way home." Some of these dealers amaze me with their lackadaisical attitudes toward their own security!

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Another “theft”, not “robbery” - another one in which the dealer (unnecessarily) left his valuables unattended.

Actually a vehicle burglary as they forced entry and with intent to remove property.

Definition:
    "To be considered vehicle burglary, two elements must be present: forced entry into a locked vehicle and intent to commit theft or a felony inside. Entering a locked car or vehicle involves any part of the body or an object being placed inside it."

peacockcoins

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

It's not the same world we grew up in, any time that I carry cash or coins in the car, I supplement my .44 with a 12 ga. under a towel on the passenger seat. It's rural East Texas where everything is cool. And I never leave stuff in the car alone. Sad that things have come to this.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't be surprised if that license plate shows as being stolen off a different vehicle.
    Does seem like we are soft on criminals and hard on the ones that have to protect themselves and their property in ways they wish they wouldn't have to.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know some pickups have rear underseat and lockable storage.

Look at Tuffy products.

Store the coins in locked storage and leave a dummy case filled with rocks to be snatched?

Airtags and other tracking?

Technology to reveal tracking devices placed on vehicle?

Guns and confrontation in a public place is sure to lead to arrest by police or lawsuits from bystanders. Lawyers will eat that $$$

Insurance?

In this day and age there is nothing hidden. I located an identity theft victim across the country in a half hour.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:

Look at Tuffy products.

Store the coins in locked storage and leave a dummy case filled with rocks to be snatched?

Guns and confrontation in a public place is sure to lead to arrest by police or lawsuits from bystanders. Lawyers will eat that $$$

Insurance?

In this day and age there is nothing hidden. I located an identity theft victim across the country in a half hour.

every theft I say the same thing... we need to plan a brutal trap

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@MFeld said:
    Another “theft”, not “robbery” - another one in which the dealer (unnecessarily) left his valuables unattended.

Actually a vehicle burglary as they forced entry and with intent to remove property.

Definition:
    "To be considered vehicle burglary, two elements must be present: forced entry into a locked vehicle and intent to commit theft or a felony inside. Entering a locked car or vehicle involves any part of the body or an object being placed inside it."

I stand corrected - thank you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:

@yspsales said:

Look at Tuffy products.

Insurance?

every theft I say the same thing... we need to plan a brutal trap

Bear trap? 😈

• Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Edited to add: I have since learned from someone far more knowledgeable on this subject than I am, that I was incorrect - the incident meets the definition of a “burglary”.

I apologize. The notice actually stated vehicle burglary. I corrected the title. :D

Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to wonder sometimes about the intelligence of some people (dealers).

You've got to have your wits about you and protect yourself at all costs.

Don't leave your car!!!!

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    raysrays Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Setting a boobytrap in your car, home or other property can expose oneself to significant liability in the event of an injury.

“soft law enforcement and lax punishment” can hardly be blamed in this instance. I hope the burglars are found and prosecuted.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rays said:
    Setting a boobytrap in your car, home or other property can expose oneself to significant liability in the event of an injury.

“soft law enforcement and lax punishment” can hardly be blamed in this instance. I hope the burglars are found and prosecuted.

@The_Dinosaur_Man said:
    Ya gotta start boobytrapping the car like its Home Alone

Yeah, I know you are kind of joking, yet in case others don't know:
    https://www.calcriminaldefenselawyers.com/pc20110-booby-trap-crimes-law-punishment-defense#:~:text=It is illegal to place,person coming across the device.

This is for California, yet I can't imagine other states would be lenient.

peacockcoins

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭

It’s too bad, such a fun and great hobby and it’s almost too dangerous to attend shows, especially small shows. People need to be aware of their surroundings and get their heads out of their “you know what’s.” Some of the smartest people I know, have no common sense. I bet they carry a wallet in their back pocket as well.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if the dealer had placed an "Apple air tag" tracking device in his roller bag, if it would that have helped the police find the crooks?
    It seems that not much time elapsed between the theft and the get away.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Backpack in the back seat and wallet on the front seat.
    Lesson DO NOT stop after a coin show if you leave less than one hour away!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2024 12:16PM

In the Middle East if caught this type of thief would wish he never ever stole. People would know he is a thief after they laid down severe punishment. Pretty hard to hide after what they would do to him.

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    In the Middle East if caught this type of thief would wish he never ever stole. People would know he is a thief after they laid down severe punishment. Pretty hard to hide after what they would do to him.

We don't need to be barbaric and start cutting off hands. We simply need to set an airtag trap, track the burglars back to their lair, waterboard them until they tell us where all the good stuff is, and then come up with some kind of ironic Saw-like challenge for them to solve in order to survive and feel a sense of penitence.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2024 1:05PM

@tcollects said:

We don't need to be barbaric and start cutting off hands. We simply need to set an airtag trap, track the burglars back to their lair, waterboard them until they tell us where all the good stuff is, and then come up with some kind of ironic Saw-like challenge for them to solve in order to survive and feel a sense of penitence.

You would see crime drop a lot if criminals were afraid to face justice. Many just laugh now not all but many. And society will and is paying the price for been so lenient in many cases.

I have seen in Brazil they tattoo THIEF on the persons forehead.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:

You would see crime drop a lot if criminals were afraid to face justice. Many just laugh now not all but many. And society will and is paying the price for been so lenient in many cases.

And how do you put the hands back on if they turn out to be wrongly convicted?

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2024 1:46PM

I do not feel sorry for the victims.
    I’ve posted this before & probably by others.
    It’s a very common and fatal belief of many.
    This could only happen to someone else but not to me.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2024 1:53PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@tcollects said:

You make sure you have 100% proof he is the thief otherwise you punish with some other less severe penalty. On video like I said 100% proof or do another penalty.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@tcollects said:

You make sure you have 100% proof he is the thief otherwise you punish with some other less severe penalty. On video like I said 100% proof or do another penalty.

Oh, if I wasn't already in prison...

• Options

@lermish said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tcollects said:

???

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

You go to the bathroom before you leave a show. Get some food at the show to eat on the way home or eat after you get home. It's not complicated.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@lermish said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tcollects said:

???

I'm on forum time out right now so I think that having this conversation that is not coin related and pretty heavily political is probably not in my best interest at this time. Suffice to say, I disagree pretty strongly with your position but I'll leave it at that.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2024 6:49PM

@lermish said:

@lermish said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tcollects said:

???

I'm on forum time out right now so I think that having this conversation that is not coin related and pretty heavily political is probably not in my best interest at this time. Suffice to say, I disagree pretty strongly with your position but I'll leave it at that.

We don't have to agree that is the beauty of life. We are not all the same we all see the world in our own way.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:

I feel sorry for them. Who wouldn't?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@mikee999 said:

I feel sorry for them. Who wouldn't?

Apparently mikee999

Martin

• Options
    edited April 22, 2024 7:39PM

In fact I hope there’d be more incidents like this, and the perps sell the coins in places like CL so I can buy em for 10 cents on the dollar.

Seems like more incidents like these occurred in states east of the MS.

:wink:

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the theft. I'm totally jaded having grown up in NYC so never leave anything in the car, even a box or bag that might appear to have something of value. In some areas there are folks that will break a car window if they think that box or bag might contain something of value. That empty box now cost me the hassle of getting the window replaced.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@MICHAELDIXON said:

I told one dealer, who is always hungry, to go to a drive through, such as McDonald's or Kentucky Fried Chicken to avoid leaving his vehicle unattended. He said: "I don't like McDonalds and last time I ordered KFC drive through they shorted me 2 pieces of chicken, so I won't use drivethroughs! I back my car in whenever I go to the restaurants on the way home." Some of these dealers amaze me with their lackadaisical attitudes toward their own security!

So, the key take away is that dealers do eat things other than mustard slathered hotdogs?

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

I wonder why all these years carrying $1,000s worth of coins in my Levis jeans while riding the metro to the Feb LB coin show no one gave me a 2nd look.

Mind you the metro goes thru sketchy neighborhoods (think (Watts Riot).

Perhaps being a skinny Asian wearing wrinkle t-shirt with eyeglasses etc helped.??

• Options

@mikee999 said:
    I wonder why all these years carrying $1,000s worth of coins in my Levis jeans while riding the metro to the Feb LB coin show no one gave me a 2nd look.

Mind you the metro goes thru sketchy neighborhoods (think (Watts Riot).

Perhaps being a skinny Asian wearing wrinkle t-shirt with eyeglasses etc helped.??

Could it be because in the car/commute culture that is the greater LA area, most people would assume (rightly or wrongly) that anyone choosing to ride the Metro is completely destitute and an unworthy robbery target?

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man I hate hearing about this.
    Why don't they at least have a lound vehicle alarm.
    So scary to think we all could be a target going to a coin show.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options

@tcollects said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tcollects said:

we dropped the whole chopping hands off idea about 3 messages ago

Wow. 3 whole messages ago. Although if you look 2 messages forward, it still seems to be a thing.

The same caveat applies to any excessive punishment.

@jmlanzaf said:

@tcollects said:

Because there's never been a case of mistaken identity...?

• Options

@mikee999 said:
    In fact I hope there’d be more incidents like this, and the perps sell the coins in places like CL so I can buy em for 10 cents on the dollar.

That's the spirit. Never stop digging.

• Options

@lermish said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@tcollects said:

what did you say to go to prison, never seen that

• Options

Same... empty McDonalds cup is my break glass option when on the road doing Rideshare.

What are the dealer insurance risks and requirements for transporting $100k of inventory in ones vehicle from a show?

Does it matter if you leave car unattended?

Don't some dealers use Armored Car services at major shows?

It is a wonder any dealer can stay in business with all of the expenses.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s potentially more serious.
    He was being followed.
    If he went straight home he may have been killed instead of just robbed or burglarized.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:

You hope more coin dealers are burglarized so you can receive stolen property for pennies on the dollar and profit from someone’s misfortune?

• Options
    edited April 23, 2024 8:11AM

Guess we found Finn's new mentor.

WTH... @mikee999

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    He was being followed.
    If he went straight home he may have been killed instead of just robbed or burglarized.

That is my thought. Being tracked to your home, and potentially even worse. I have no advice regarding these situations; it's a much more dangerous world now.

----- kj
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tincup said:

@lcoopie said:
    He was being followed.

That is my thought. Being tracked to your home, and potentially even worse. I have no advice regarding these situations; it's a much more dangerous world now.

I agree, and it makes me realize that I pretty much always drive straight home after coin shows. Although I am a lowly collector, not a dealer, so maybe my risk is lower.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file