Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2024 6:36AM

@Dave99B said:
    I was looking at the Great Collections auction archives today, and I happened to notice that the 1916-P PCGS VF30 Barber quarter, which sold for around $600, doesn't show up. Hmmmm. I've always wondered what happened around that coin. I wonder if the buyer cancelled his/her bid?

Dave

I noticed the same thing last week, so I put in the same bid I did on it last time, and this time I won the coin. With all the costs involved I ended up paying almost PCGS guide price for an XF45 but it filled the final empty slot in my slabbed set. :)

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Jed. You will remember the last date and mint and inform others that the 1916-P 25c is tough!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Thanks Tim! @sedulous I'm guessing that last week maybe the bidder thought they were bidding on a standing liberty? Who knows...it was definitely a strange auction.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jedm said:

@Dave99B said:
    I was looking at the Great Collections auction archives today, and I happened to notice that the 1916-P PCGS VF30 Barber quarter, which sold for around $600, doesn't show up. Hmmmm. I've always wondered what happened around that coin. I wonder if the buyer cancelled his/her bid?

Dave

I noticed the same thing last week, so I put in the same bid I did on it last time, and this time I won the coin. With all the costs involved I ended up paying almost PCGS guide price for an XF45 but it filled the final empty slot in my slabbed set. :)

That’s a nice one. Glad you snagged it! I struggled to locate a nice ORIGINAL VF 16-P for my VF PCGS set. I think it was the 2nd to last coin I located for my entire set (13-S was the last). I tried to make one a couple times, but they came back XF40. Arg!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Another conversation Jeff and I have been having is the lowest population Barber Quarters and how truly scarce they are: 1898-S and 1899-S

Would you believe that in the PCGS populations, the 1898-S is the seventh scarcest in MS63 (9), third in MS64 (9+1), tied fifth in MS65 (7+1) and then #2 in MS66 (2). It's MS63-MS66 rank is #2 (29)

The 1899-S is the second scarcest in MS63 (5) & MS64 (8), tied fifth in MS65 (7+1) and then drops down to #22 in MS66 (10). It's MS63-MS66 rank is #3 (31)

• Options
    edited April 22, 2024 1:13PM

@DisneyFan said:

@sedulous said:
    Another conversation Jeff and I have been having is the lowest population Barber Quarters and how truly scarce they are: 1898-S and 1899-S

Would you believe that in the PCGS populations, the 1898-S is the seventh scarcest in MS63 (9), third in MS64 (9+1), tied fifth in MS65 (7+1) and then #2 in MS66 (2). It's MS63-MS66 rank is #2 (29)

The 1899-S is the second scarcest in MS63 (5) & MS64 (8), tied fifth in MS65 (7+1) and then drops down to #22 in MS66 (10). It's MS63-MS66 rank is #3 (31)

Good observation. Also look at the overall population for both the 1898-S and 1899-S quarters. They are the two lowest of all the Barber Quarters across the entire series!

In circulated grades, the 1898-S is very scarce in and around AU grade ranges. For the 1899-S, it is in about the VF grade ranges. Both are low overall in pop.

EDIT: you find them cleaned alot as to why the straight-graded populations are low.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's my 1899 S BQ:

Asa bonus, this one has a RPD:

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

If I recall reading awhile back about a large portion of the late 1890's San Francisco minted Barber coinage 1895-1899 were sent over to the Philippines to help with their commerce...something to that extant.

Rob
  • Options

Here's my latest acquisition for my slabbed set:

thanks to Liz C.

• Options

Real nice coin...AU58?

Rob
  • Options

@jedm said:

thanks to Liz C.

I'm with Rob on that 1899-O BQ... that is a real nice coin to only be an AU53... a lot of meat on it Jed. Great pick-up!

• T

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's my 1899 S BQ:

Asa bonus, this one has a RPD:

Very wholesome coin Jeff. Two thumbs up 👍 👍.

• Options
    edited April 27, 2024 8:54PM

I used to stack 1899~S quarters (raw). I stopped about ten years ago, when I had a full roll. Most are AG-G, with a few VGs. Nice original examples. I need to dig them out. Love that date!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

A newp that just arrived today. I have been searching for a long time to get a specifically graded PC45 1906-O Barber Quarter... received this one:
    1906-O Barber Quarter PC45

• Tim

• Options

Hey Tim,
    Nice pickup,lots of detail,I feel that is a sneaky date above the grade of XF40... JMO

Rob
  • Options

Spacehayduke-
    Great looking quarters,real nice photos,and 2 very tough coins that '98-S is a killer coin only 11 in that grade

Rob
  • Options

@sedulous said:
    A newp that just arrived today. I have been searching for a long time to get a specifically graded PC45 1906-O Barber Quarter... received this one:
    1906-O Barber Quarter PC45

• Tim

Well done. Massive sleeper, and a beautiful one at that. Wow.

Dave

• Options

How about another...

• Options

@jedm said:

thanks to Liz C.

That was my 1899 O that you purchased from Liz. I lost BIG money on that coin. It was purchased it a couple of years ago raw, and I had it graded. The coin was purchased at an AU 58 price thinking it was a lock. I was shocked when it came back in a 53 holder. I thought about cracking it out and getting it graded again but decided to cut my losses and get rid of it. It's painful for me to see it here!

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

@jedm said:

thanks to Liz C.

That was my 1899 O that you purchased from Liz. I lost BIG money on that coin. It was purchased it a couple of years ago raw, and I had it graded. The coin was purchased at an AU 58 price thinking it was a lock. I was shocked when it came back in a 53 holder. I thought about cracking it out and getting it graded again but decided to cut my losses and get rid of it. It's painful for me to see it here!

Did you send it to CAC? A possible gold sticker?

• Options

I don’t have CAC membership, so no.

• Options

Did you send it to CAC? A possible gold sticker?

Message to @jedm ... Jed, I agree with @DisneyFan and @JeffMTampa that the coin is undergraded. CAC send-in worthy my vote. - T

@DisneyFan said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@jedm said:

• Options

@DisneyFan @JeffMTampa @sedulous When the coin arrived I was surprised that it didn't seem to have the edge toning that shows in the Trueview. I'm sorry to know that my posting of it here caused you pain Jeff, I would never do that on purpose. I also think it looks more like a 58 than any other grade. I would really have liked the look more if it resembled the glamor shot version. As it is now I've put the duplicate (VF25) up for sale and am still on the lookout for one that suits my eye better than either of them.

• Options

I'm over the coin. The "pain" is figurative, a reflection of my bad decision making. I've not been a fan of TrueView images. they tend to not accurately depict the true view.

• Options
    edited May 2, 2024 7:59PM

@JeffMTampa "Behind every beautiful thing, there's some kind of pain" Bob Dylan
    I think we can all relate to that. I should've put a wink emoji in that last post Jeff, I knew you didn't mean it literally.
    It is a nice enough looking specimen, and I'm sure some folks like 'em like that, it's just that I kinda like 'em a bit darker and with more character.

• Options

Here is a very beautiful Barber Half Dollar pick-up:

1908-P in PC58 with Green CAC

Here is my PC55:

• Tim

• Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    edited May 15, 2024 9:23AM

Bump this up!
    Here's one for the circulated set.

• Options

@KAJ1 said:
    Bump this up!
    Here's one for the circulated set.

Great P-mint, and a toughie in VF. Well done!

Dave

• Options

Here's my trio of 1899 Barber Halves:

I'm happy with the P and S mint coins. I sure wish I could find a '99 O in a PCGS AU 58 holder. There's over 20 of them out there, but I can't find one available. My '99 O has a flat strike, which may have been mistaken for a bit of wear in the grading room. It does look like a 55.

• Options
    edited May 17, 2024 11:09PM

1899-S Barber Quarter... VF30, did someone pick one up from Coast Coin here recently? As stated earlier, it has a low pop. The coin was sold before I had a chance to look at it. Here are my PC30's:

• Tim

• Options
    edited May 19, 2024 3:43PM

Sending this one to Allan in the Green Bay, WI area as a thank you for a separate transaction. Before shipping it, I thought I would share the pictures. I told him it might help spice up his low-end set! since he was needing a Barber Quarter to fill his BQ slot:

1895-S Ctr. MM Barber Quarter

• Tim

• Options

Rare coin!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

A favorite. XF45

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2024 8:20AM

Since this is a Barber thread with many expert and veterans, permit me to ask a question that might be known to those individuals: did dealer/collector Scott Travers make a bubble peak purchase of a Barber quarter decades ago (~ $34,000 ?) which is now worth a fraction of that price ?

I'm not sure if it was a Barber Quarter or another type quarter...the article was ambiguous.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    Since this is a Barber thread with many expert and veterans, permit me to ask a question that might be known to those individuals: did dealer/collector Scott Travers make a bubble peak purchase of a Barber quarter decades ago (~ $34,000 ?) which is now worth a fraction of that price ?

I'm not sure if it was a Barber Quarter or another type quarter...the article was ambiguous.

Vague question, at least to my reading of your question. A little more information on the date / mint / grade and the article you are referencing would be helpful.

Thanks, Tim

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2024 9:52AM

@sedulous said:
    Vague question, at least to my reading of your question. A little more information on the date / mint / grade and >the article you are referencing would be helpful.
    Thanks, Tim

Here's the article, Tim....apparently, it might not be a rare coin -- refernce to "high population" -- but maybe someone else who has seen Scott's setup over the years can recall seeing the coin.

https://coinweek.com/at-the-ana-many-attempts-to-bridge-the-coin-collecting-divide/

Scroll around half-way down.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@sedulous said:
    Vague question, at least to my reading of your question. A little more information on the date / mint / grade and >the article you are referencing would be helpful.
    Thanks, Tim

Here's the article, Tim....apparently, it might not be a rare coin -- refernce to "high population" -- but maybe someone else who has seen Scott's setup over the years can recall seeing the coin.

https://coinweek.com/at-the-ana-many-attempts-to-bridge-the-coin-collecting-divide/

Scroll around half-way down.

Are you referring to this text?

"One panelist, coin dealer and longtime consumer advocate Scott Travers, lamented the fact that a classic high-population quarter that he owned had lost significant value (from $34,000 to $6,000 USD) in recent years."

The article does not state "Barber" unless you have a deeper understanding of the story behind the story?

• Options
    edited May 23, 2024 1:38PM

Here is a recently delivered newp from David Kahn. The New Orleans '06 and '07's were tough for quality coinage:

Feel this is undergraded slightly for AU55

• Tim

• Options

1908 wasn't any better:

No wonder that the mint was shut down a couple of years later.....

• Options

Moving the thread. Some tougher, scarce date quarters with CAC stickers in my favorite XF45 grade:

1894-S Barber Quarter. Only 1 with CAC green sticker (this coin)... and another 1 is out there somewhere with a gold sticker:

1897-O Barber Quarter. Only 3 are stickered in XF45:

1905-O Barber Quarter. Only 3 are stickered in XF45:

1907-S Barber Quarter. Only 1 with CAC green sticker (this coin)... and another 1 is out there somewhere with a gold sticker:

• Tim

• Options
    edited June 4, 2024 3:58AM

1905-P Barber Dime in about raw AU. Die Clash? just a little under Liberty's chin-neck area and behind the neck neat the hair ribbon area?

1905-P Barber Dime

Apologies, looks like I did a poor job of centering my reverse in the camera lens:

p.s. also shot the image through 2x2 plastic still in holder.

• Tim

• Options

Just picked this newp up from my local coin shop today. Can't believe the quality of this 1902-P in AU+!!!

1902-P Barber Quarter in Choice AU (raw)

• Tim

• Options

Improved pic of the '05 dime along with a 1907-P Barber Half Dollar in PCGS AU53 with Green CAC sticker.

1905-P Barber Dime in Raw AU (re-imaged)

1907-P Barber Half PCGS AU53 CAC

• Tim

• Options

Here’s one of my 1909 S Halves with an inverted MM:

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here’s one of my 1909 S Halves with an inverted MM:

Gorgeous

• Options

Any recent Barber newps out there?

• Options
    edited June 25, 2024 9:08PM

I wanted to get a 1900 O with a reverse of 1899 Barber quarter and found this one recently:

A slight upgrade from my Dansco's VG.

• Options

From Jon (dimeman)

"Hi guys,

It's coming up on 7 years since we lost our best friend Mike. Boy, do I STILL miss him. We used to badger each other on who was the oldest! LOL

I always looked forward to seeing him each year at Winter FUN. PLus, we went back and forth on the forum and lot's of PM's. I remember him telling me "I feel like *****" shortly before he passed. I thought he had the flu or something. Then he told me what he had......my heart sank. Then shortly after we got the word of his passing on the forum. What a gut punch that was!

I just spent the whole afternoon going through his thread. It brought up fond memories of our time together. He was Mr. Barber Man!

Your Barber Friend, Jon"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file