Update… Coin returned!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

An interesting thread indeed.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlanSki said:
    I hate lawsuits but they came with the territory so I’m well versed in them. I prefer not to add my “experience” in a signature.

But you did... several times... in this thread.

• Options

@Pnies20 said:
    Sometimes I lay in bed at night and think what it would be like if everyone here was locked in a room together for 24 hours

Only one person would emerge...

I'm still trying to figure out who is more consistently arrogant, Mark or Chris.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2024 11:51AM

@MFeld said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

@MFeld said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@ctf_error_coins said:
    It is really easy to write the words, "I apologize", without an addendum.

Sure, if the OP did something wrong.

If this was just a miscommunication between the parties -- augmented by an 86-year old and the OP and others who were not the owners of the coin in question -- then fine, everybody show their POV and let's move on.

The time to move on this seemed very slow (> 1 year) but maybe the firm was busy. I don't know. Again, communication and IN WRITING solves this problem. Outside of a few text messages, it's hearsay vs. hearsay. :)

It does appear that the firm in question has a good reputation. They've been around for decades. Nothing like the scamster firms that went under with people's coins/assets. So maybe this was just a employee who was overworked and didn't keep the client (or the client's son) in the loop because they assumed they knew it would be a lengthy process. But probably not over a year !

I thought the post by @ ctf_error_coins was directed towards the dealer.

And you would be wrong again.

Thank you for letting us know, despite your poor attitude, again.

Thank you for your constant arrogance, again.

I hope this will help you somewhere along the line - if something is constant, “again” doesn’t apply.

And I apologize for being arrogant in saying I thought your comment “It is really easy to write the words, "I apologize", without an addendum.” was directed towards the dealer. Never mind that you didn’t provide any perspective to your post.

Signed,
    constantly arrogant again.

He might have meant the "again" to modify the "thank you":

Thank you, again, for your constant arrogance.

Although I hesitate to speculate for fear of the adjective coming my way.

I'm very sorry.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think arrogance on this forum, can get quite prevalent in the course of certain posts. I try to find the benefit of any poster that pervades arrogance, and if none found, then read the next post and move on. Alan, glad your father got his coin back and hopefully he will still enjoy our hobby.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Pnies20 said:
    Sometimes I lay in bed at night and think what it would be like if everyone here was locked in a room together for 24 hours

I'm still trying to figure out who is more consistently arrogant, Mark or Chris.

Are you sure it would be a test of wits or would it become fisticuffs a dust-up or a good old fashioned Donnybrook

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Pnies20 said:

Are you sure it would be a test of wits or would it become fisticuffs a dust-up or a good old fashioned Donnybrook

It would be a test of truth and facts.

• Options

@Pnies20 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Pnies20 said:

24 hours locked in a room... I wouldn't rule out cannibalism.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

That almost sounds like a mini version of the Stanford prison experiments.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    Consult an attorney. If Your dealing with unsecured debt could be tough sledding. Good luck. How Does the value of what Dealer holding compare vs attorney fees and court costs?

Yet again, it appears that you’ve posted without reading the replies. As a result, your advice is of zero value.

Reading is hard. Thank God the AI can do it for me.

Hey Siri: Summarize this thread

• Options

@Catbert said:
    I'd like to understand the degree of your sorryness between sorry and very sorry. Please explain. ;)

It's a 5 on a 7 point Likert scale.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

You didn’t mention if we have coins in the room?
    ….or is it a true nightmare with only parking lot finds….

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Pnies20 said:

Three things;

In a test of wits, never fight with an unarmed man ... it just makes them angrier when they lose. Or they say they won anyway.

What a horrific thing to wonder about at night @Pnies20 !

But, if we were all locked together in the same room for 24hrs, I would probably take my hearing aides out and try to take a long nap, as there are a few people in here that would drive me f'n batty and I might have to resort to fisticuffs and a good old Donnybrook of a dust-up otherwise. B);):D

I am glad it is all getting resolved. I didn't read everything, but this probably wasn't the place to air the laundry yet ... however the actual and offered help of some members is commendable.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instructive thread...

Felt dealer reps response was terse and a bit off putting to say the least.

That said... Note to self... if I ever become a dealer, keep notes, supply a plan outlined with possible timeline, likely fees to be incurred, commission to be expected, keep owner of coin updated monthly, reach out and communicate, and if possible don't deal with problem coins.

I see hundreds of coins in a dealers case and would be overwhelmed.

The thought of keeping up with the lot would give me hives.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m > @Pnies20 said:

@AlanSki said:
    Charlie Sheen can play me.
    William Shatner or Wilfred Brimley (Diabeetus) can be my father.

I get to be Adam Sandler. The ugly, semi-funny guy who somehow has a hot wife

I’m just there for Tigers Blood, or at least Charlie would be in that scenario.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mikee999 said:
    I wonder if Hollywood made a movie or a mini series of this who would play

Alan
    Mr Hall
    Alan’s dad
    The owner of Alhambra
    Wondercoin and finally
    Mr Arrogance

Another addition to my post count

Just to be clear, all of your posts add to your post count, whether that is the intention of your post or not! 😁

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, the internet sure is good stirring up anger, what would we do without it? Most of these conflicts would probably be quickly resolved with phone calls, zoom or other communication medium where behind the scenes communications and what our brains do with with that would be less likely. With a phone call there is usually good feedback and you can usually hear where the other person in coming from.

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@AlanSki said:
    Coin has been returned. I’ve been threatened with a lawsuit again if I don’t apologize to the owner of Alhambra Coin although I never accused the owner of anything and even stated the owner was probably unaware of anything going on.

This thread can be closed.

The fact that a dealer would threaten a lawsuit over something like this tells me all I need to know about the dealer.

I seriously doubt a lawsuit by anyone associated with this coin would be successful.

Terms like slander libel police malice etc are often used either in writing, in a speech, or in a forum like this.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    I'd like to understand the degree of your sorryness between sorry and very sorry. Please explain. ;)

Maybe that's like the Larry David "apology" to the NBC executive on CYE ?

You know when he straddled the line...somewhere between "begrudging" and "sincere" ??? :D

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Either way, I probably don't get much respect. ;)

Classic Rodney:

"I tell you I get no respect....why the other day, my house caught on fire.....my wife told the kids....QUIET, YOU'LL WAKE UP DADDY !!!" :D:D:D

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I'll play myself in the movie, Taylor Swift will play my girlfriend, and there will be a gratuitous love scene. B)

I just hope she doesn't write a song about it. :#

But if she did, would it be titled:

:#

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited March 17, 2024 1:29PM

**> @mikee999 said:

I seriously doubt a lawsuit by anyone associated with this coin would be successful.
    Terms like slander libel police malice etc are often used either in writing, in a speech, or in a forum like this.

Agreed. Not a lawyer, but I do know it's a 3-part test: that the statement was false....that it was known to be false by the person saying/writing it....and that the intent was to cause harm to the individual in question who did in fact suffer reputational harm.

Hard to see even 1 of those conditions being met, let alone all 3 of them.

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I'll play myself in the movie, Taylor Swift will play my girlfriend, and there will be a gratuitous love scene. B)

I just hope she doesn't write a song about it. :#

Or file a lawsuit against you.

(One more to my post count)

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

when did it change from conservation to selling it at auction? +1

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    when did it change from conservation to selling it at auction? +1

No clue from my side.

• Options
    MtW124MtW124 Posts: 300 ✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

Do you know of any marks the coin may have that are identifying? If it’s still in that slab it will be easy to spot, but if it’s been cracked (and if it was restored, some or all of the toning could be gone) you may need something else to identify the coin.

Looks like there are a couple of good nicks on the lower left area of the reverse rim that would be a good identifier it it were to be cracked out.

• Options

@Aotearoa said:
    Wow. When a thread crashes here, it really crashes…

I think the phrase is....Jumped The Shark.

BTW, I saw that "Happy Days" episode where Fonzie literally jumped a shark. That episode die NOT Jump The Shark.

Still can't stand that California Kid. :D

• Options
    ms71ms71 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, there go 40 minutes I'll never get back . . . . .

Successful BST transactions: EagleEye, Christos, Proofmorgan,
    Coinlearner, Ahrensdad, Nolawyer, RG, coinlieutenant, Yorkshireman, lordmarcovan, Soldi, masscrew, JimTyler, Relaxn, jclovescoins

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you sumthin' . . . . that ain't an optical illusion, it only looks like an optical illusion.

My mind reader refuses to charge me....
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

The time has come to say goodnight.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Threads like this only happen on the weekends 😜 well they only last this long on the weekends.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

The night is young..... :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

@WAYNEAS said:
    Wayne

The night is young..... :D

But Monday is only hours away.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back to the coin, what happened to it? Did it turn in the holder from a bad dip?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

yeah. i was wondering if it turned in the holder too.

now, i expect to hear"no good deed goes unpunished" on this one question but it begs asking: what were the cacg sample slabs for? that and the auction thing are head scratchers.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2024 4:48AM

@MsMorrisine said:
    yeah. i was wondering if it turned in the holder too.

now, i expect to hear"no good deed goes unpunished" on this one question but it begs asking: what were the cacg sample slabs for? that and the auction thing are head scratchers.

The father and Mr. Hunt are friends and they appear to regularly have lunch. I'm not sure the OP knows the answer to any of these questions. There may be no connection between the sample slabs and the Grant.

As for the auction, it appears Mr. Hunt was trying to help the father sell the problem coin. It's all just speculation, by us and the OP who does not appear to have direct knowledge of the situation.

The problem coin is now still a problem coin.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

gents, thanks to everyone for the superb coin forum drama, the arc of this story is delicious

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file