Home Sports Talk
Options

2024 NFL Offseason/Regular Season Thread

Comments

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

and btw if there is a pop quiz on who plays for whom now, i'd flunk spectacularly

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    Chicago is drafting Caleb, Washington is drafting a QB, if NE trades down another QB will be off the board, if NE sticks i hope and pray they do the same, then Marvin the Martian becomes Kyler's new playtoy

draft day has the potential to be an above-average day for galaxy

Here's my dream scenario for NE at the top of this draft...

Trade #3 to the Giants for #6, #47 and either #107 or a 2025 3rd. NY would end up with Maye or Daniels and they slightly win this trade from a draft pick value standpoint.

Take picks 47 and 107/2025 3rd, whichever it is, and trade for Tee Higgins. the Bengals reportedly want an early 2nd rounder for Higgins.

Assuming NY goes QB at 3, Arizona goes MHJ at 4, that leaves the Chargers at 5 likely choosing between Nabers, Alt or Odunze. Say they go with Nabers NE could then draft Odunze to pair with Higgins.

Now having two elite WRs the Pats could then use picks 34 & 68 on best available tackles at each pick. If they can sign one of the starting caliber tackles in free agency beforehand, they could go with just one tackle out of those two picks and maybe the best available TE with the other.

This doesn't solve their long term QB problem but going this route means they'd have a much faster rebuild of their offense and now when they actually look for a QB they'll have all of the pieces in place to surround him with.

Their defense is really good and getting both Judon & Gonzalez back from injury so finding a capable vet QB could get them closer to returning to the playoffs much sooner than just drafting a QB at 3 with literally nothing surrounding him on offense. My scenario above also lets you draft a developmental QB that can learn the ropes behind whoever is starting for as long as needed.

Now that this has been typed into the ether there's no chance of it ever happening lol.

• Options

@erikthredd

makes a ton of sense actually

the Patriots would probably be better off with you as GM

• Options

-> @galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd

makes a ton of sense actually

the Patriots would probably be better off with you as GM

All of those psychotic NE/Boston fans would drive me nuts. 😎

• Options

@erikthredd

it may very well be the Vikes they trade with. Minny has 11 & 23 and you know they aren't high enough to think that Sam Darnold will lead them to the promised land

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    @erikthredd

it may very well be the Vikes they trade with. Minny has 11 & 23 and you know they aren't high enough to think that Sam Darnold will lead them to the promised land

I'd be surprised if the Vikings didn't call Washington first and make an offer for 2. the price to move up to 2 instead of 3 might be a bit higher but they'd then have their choice of either Daniels or Maye, where with #3 they'd be ending up with whoever falls.

For #2 they'd likely need to give up 11,23 + a 2025 1st
    For #3 it probably would cost 11,23 + a 2025 2nd
    maybe in each case they add a future 3rd or 4th because its a top 2-3 QB in this draft.

I'm totally ok with NE passing on a QB at 3 and trading back but I'd really hope that they don't drop far so they still end up with an elite player with their first pick.
    Switching with the Giants still puts them in the Nabers/Alt/Odunze range and if for some crazy reason Maye or MHJ falls to 6, even better. they could then use those additional picks to go after a Tee Higgins or if the SF rumors are true, one of Brandon Ayiuk (sp?) or Deebo if they become available.

Dropping to 11,23 & whatever other picks would still land them some really good players at numerous positions of need but you're missing out on one of those 3 studs that could be possible at 6.

• Options

Pitsburgh traded QB Kenny Pickett to the Eagles while Dallas just cut LB Leighton Vander Esch & WR Michael Gallup.

• Options

FWIW....

some dude named Rich Hill has a trade value chart and according to him, 11 & 23 (603) has more value than 3 (514)

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Wow Keenan Allen traded and they cut Williams. Crazy that they are revamping their WSr corps.

With what replacements is the big question

Harbaugh didnt throw the ball very much at Michigan and who knows if he will change that with the Chargers. Seems like no since they worked it out with the two DEs even though one of them is never healthy and got a grand total of a 4 round pick for the two stud WRs they got rid of

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:
    Wow Keenan Allen traded and they cut Williams. Crazy that they are revamping their WSr corps.

They own the 5th pick and with some combo of Williams/Daniel/Maye going top 3 and likely MHJ going 4th, it leaves the Chargers choosing between Nabers or Odunze. I don't know what their other needs are but with picks 37 & 69 they could still find another good WR, on top of one of those two.

Their front office should cleaned out immediately if they draft Odunze at 5. Im not even sure they will even take Nabers at five. Harbaugh just simply doesnt value WRs that high, he certainly hasnt for the last 10 years of his recruiting at Michigan anyways

• Options
    edited March 15, 2024 3:20PM

@galaxy27 said:
    FWIW....

some dude named Rich Hill has a trade value chart and according to him, 11 & 23 (603) has more value than 3 (514)

I use this site's draft value chart and IIRC it has the same pick values that Jimmy Johnson created with his value charts from the early 90's. I'm sure there's been plenty of others that created their own values with similar differences between each pick.
    https://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

here are some recent top of the draft trades for somewhat of a comparison, definitely not apple to apples but you can get a rough idea what it would take.

2023 trade that Panthers made for Bryce Young
    Panthers: #1
    Bears:
    9th overall pick + #61 (3rd rounder) in 2023
    2024 first (1st overall pick lol)
    2025 second
    WR D.J. Moore

2021 trade that SF made for Trey Lance
    SF: #3
    Miami:
    12th overall pick in 2021
    1st & 3rd round picks in 2022
    1st round pick in 2023

2018 trade that Buffalo made for Josh Allen
    Buffalo: #7
    Tampa Bay:
    12th pick + #'s 53 & 56 (two 2nd rounders) in same draft

2017 trade that Chicago made for Mitch Trubisky (sorry lol)
    Chicago: #2
    SanFran:
    3rd overall pick + #67 (3rd round) + #111 (4th) in 2017
    3rd round pick in 2018

2012 trade that Washington made for Robert Griffin III
    Washington: #2
    Rams:
    6th overall pick + a 2nd rounder in 2012
    1st round pick in 2013
    1st round pick in 2014

Again, these aren't all the exact same positions that NE & Minnesota are currently sitting in but they're very close and all were for Qbs at the top of the draft.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

They own the 5th pick and with some combo of Williams/Daniel/Maye going top 3 and likely MHJ going 4th, it leaves the Chargers choosing between Nabers or Odunze. I don't know what their other needs are but with picks 37 & 69 they could still find another good WR, on top of one of those two.

Their front office should cleaned out immediately if they draft Odunze at 5. Im not even sure they will even take Nabers at five. Harbaugh just simply doesnt value WRs that high, he certainly hasnt for the last 10 years of his recruiting at Michigan anyways

I just assumed that cutting Williams and trading Allen would have left a gaping hole at the WR position. Admittedly though I'm not to familiar with their current roster and team needs.

• Options

Jimmy G to the Rams to be Stafford's backup.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

I just assumed that cutting Williams and trading Allen would have left a gaping hole at the WR position. Admittedly though I'm not to familiar with their current roster and team needs.

They should if they dont resign Williams or maybe even trade down. I'm just not sure they will and given how Harbaugh operated Michigan where he had full say, I wouldnt be shocked if he fell in love with a T or EDGE and convinced them to take that instead.

Now if they are going to take a WR at 5 it just shouldnt under any circumstances be Odunze. Even if somehow both MHJ and Nabers are off the board it still shouldnt be Odunze and really anyone in the top 15 that takes him should be firing someone. Theres at least 5 better WRS than him in this draft. MHJ, Nabers, Brian Thomas JR, Xavier Worthy, and Adonai Mitchell who are all first round talents but theres only so many picks. Lance McConkey is better too but some teams will view Odunze better with McConkeys injury history

Im not saying all of those are worthy of being picked at 5, they arent and Odunze will probably trick some team into drafting him to high while other teams get a steal in the late first or 2nd round. Really only Nabers, or MHJ are worthy of being picked at 5 for WR.

The other pass catching option would be Bowers. Hes technically a tight end but no joke hes probably the most talented player in this draft and there would be talk of going number 1 overall if he wasnt a TE. Hes a pass catching one lthat can block but you dont want to wast him blocking every play like the Kelce/Gronk/Gates types,

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,652 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

Harbaugh didnt throw the ball very much at Michigan and who knows if he will change that with the Chargers. Seems like no since they worked it out with the two DEs even though one of them is never healthy and got a grand total of a 4 round pick for the two stud WRs they got rid of

Harbaugh will realize quickly that you need to throw in the NFL,

Michigan and the NCAA. Is a completely different platform, I know college is geared towards NFL style of play but still

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

Harbaugh will realize quickly that you need to throw in the NFL,

Michigan and the NCAA. Is a completely different platform, I know college is geared towards NFL style of play but still

Generally teams actually throw more in college and the big programs run NFL offenses but yea hes not going to be able to get away with what he did last year. Michigan literally threw the ball 8 times against Penn State and went over 37 minutes without attempting a pass, I dont see that working in the NFL or the only throwing the ball in the low 20s on average stuff. Tennessee was last in pass attempts per game for the NFL and even they were throwing it over 29 times a game.

Harbaughs definitely going to have to make some style adjustments if they will be successful especially when he has a top QB. I wouldnt be looking forward to this season right now if I was Herbert

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

They should if they dont resign Williams or maybe even trade down. I'm just not sure they will and given how Harbaugh operated Michigan where he had full say, I wouldnt be shocked if he fell in love with a T or EDGE and convinced them to take that instead.

Now if they are going to take a WR at 5 it just shouldnt under any circumstances be Odunze. Even if somehow both MHJ and Nabers are off the board it still shouldnt be Odunze and really anyone in the top 15 that takes him should be firing someone. Theres at least 5 better WRS than him in this draft. MHJ, Nabers, Brian Thomas JR, Xavier Worthy, and Adonai Mitchell who are all first round talents but theres only so many picks. Lance McConkey is better too but some teams will view Odunze better with McConkeys injury history

Im not saying all of those are worthy of being picked at 5, they arent and Odunze will probably trick some team into drafting him to high while other teams get a steal in the late first or 2nd round. Really only Nabers, or MHJ are worthy of being picked at 5 for WR.

The other pass catching option would be Bowers. Hes technically a tight end but no joke hes probably the most talented player in this draft and there would be talk of going number 1 overall if he wasnt a TE. Hes a pass catching one lthat can block but you dont want to wast him blocking every play like the Kelce/Gronk/Gates types,

While I can appreciate your opinion of Odunze but if NE ends up trading back and he's an option when they get on the clock I'd be totally fine if he was the pick. Or Alt, or Nabers, or Bowers.

It would mean that the Pats added additional draft picks but if they decide to stay at 3 and pick someone other than a QB then I'd probably go MHJ, Nabers, Alt then Odunze in that order of choice.

I get that there could be great value Wr picks later in round 1 or 2 but if they end up with additional picks I want to see the Pats double dip early.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2024 7:01PM

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

While I can appreciate your opinion of Odunze but if NE ends up trading back and he's an option when they get on the clock I'd be totally fine if he was the pick. Or Alt, or Nabers, or Bowers.

It would mean that the Pats added additional draft picks but if they decide to stay at 3 and pick someone other than a QB then I'd probably go MHJ, Nabers, Alt then Odunze in that order of choice.

I get that there could be great value Wr picks later in round 1 or 2 but if they end up with additional picks I want to see the Pats double dip early.

Bowers would be most likely to still be there depending how far any of the top teams move back since the TE position doesnt get the same hype as a QB, T or even WR.. The other WRs I mentioned are all faster and a few are also bigger than Odunze. He wont just be able to run by or win 50/50 balls all the time in the NFL. Hes actually one of the slower WRs in the draft but fast enough. Thomas Jr is bigger faster and stronger, Worthy and Mitchell are the two fastest with Worthy setting a record if a team wants to just be able to throw it up and have someone go get it

I'm all for a team doubling up on WRs I just wouldnt do it with Oduze as the first pick until at least a couple of those others came off the board.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

Bowers would be most likely to still be there depending how far any of the top teams move back since the TE position doesnt get the same hype as a QB, T or even WR.. The other WRs I mentioned are all faster and a few are also bigger than Odunze. He wont just be able to run by or win 50/50 balls all the time in the NFL. Hes actually one of the slower WRs in the draft but fast enough. Thomas Jr is bigger faster and stronger, Worthy and Mitchell are the two fastest with Worthy setting a record if a team wants to just be able to throw it up and have someone go get it

I'm all for a team doubling up on WRs I just wouldnt do it with Oduze as the first pick until at least a couple of those others came off the board.

There will be a ton of good players getting pushed back once the Qb/WR/Tackle runs begin. Its going to be interesting to see how it all plays out, sucks that there still over a month to go.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

There will be a ton of good players getting pushed back once the Qb/WR/Tackle runs begin. Its going to be interesting to see how it all plays out, sucks that there still over a month to go.

It is kind of annoying having to wait since the NFL wants to make a money making spectacle out of everything which I dont blame them. This would be the perfect time to do it though. This has to be the most boring time of the year sports wise. MLB is in spring training, college baseball started but arent really having their big series yet, college football transfer portal is closed at the moment and the spring games are only good for the big programs, March madness we already know the majority of the teams and that tournament is kind of boring until the sweet 16 anyways. The most exciting thing going on right now might be the South Korean and Japanese baseball leagues and you have to wake up at like 3am to watch that. I like that the weather is getting nicer but would be nice to have more to talk about in sports other than the NCAA banning bat flips and what the 16 team college football playoff will look like in 2 years.

The one thing thats really my biggest pet peeve about the draft is the first overall pick being on the clock. That should just be automatic you had months to figure it and know what youre about to do by that point but yea this will be one of the more interesting drafts in a while.

Theres a lot of ways teams can go. Im going to laugh if someone takes JJ McCarthy in the first round and if someone can turn him into a good NFL QB they deserve a massive raise

• Options

Justin Fields traded to Pittsburgh

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 4:08PM

@galaxy27 said:
    Justin Fields traded to Pittsburgh

You just beat me to it lol. I read that it was a conditional 4th round pick, i'd be curious to see what conditions need to be met when he's likely the backup to Russell Wilson.

edit: its a 6th rounder that could be a 4th depending on playing time.

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@perkdog said:

It is kind of annoying having to wait since the NFL wants to make a money making spectacle out of everything which I dont blame them. This would be the perfect time to do it though. This has to be the most boring time of the year sports wise. MLB is in spring training, college baseball started but arent really having their big series yet, college football transfer portal is closed at the moment and the spring games are only good for the big programs, March madness we already know the majority of the teams and that tournament is kind of boring until the sweet 16 anyways. The most exciting thing going on right now might be the South Korean and Japanese baseball leagues and you have to wake up at like 3am to watch that. I like that the weather is getting nicer but would be nice to have more to talk about in sports other than the NCAA banning bat flips and what the 16 team college football playoff will look like in 2 years.

Even with the NBA, unless you're a team still fighting for seeding or the play-in, there's still a month to go until the playoffs start.

The one thing thats really my biggest pet peeve about the draft is the first overall pick being on the clock. That should just be automatic you had months to figure it and know what youre about to do by that point but yea this will be one of the more interesting drafts in a while.

Outside of the SB, Draft weekend is the NFL's biggest event every year so you just know they'll milk it or every last drop.

Theres a lot of ways teams can go. Im going to laugh if someone takes JJ McCarthy in the first round and if someone can turn him into a good NFL QB they deserve a massive raise

There are legit football analysts now predicting that McCarthy may end up going in the top 6 picks and may, at worst, not make it past the Vikings, Broncos or Raiders in the early teens.

I've noticed a huge shift towards JJ among the NE media over the past week plus with many suggesting trading back then picking McCarthy. I'm all for adding picks but if you're moving down but still taking a QB in the top half of the 1st round, to me it would just make more sense to take the better Qb at 3.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Even with the NBA, unless you're a team still fighting for seeding or the play-in, there's still a month to go until the playoffs start.

For sure and even in that case you know that if a team is fighting to get in they dont have the players to do much in the playoffs unless a bunch just came back from injury

Outside of the SB, Draft weekend is the NFL's biggest event every year so you just know they'll milk it or every last drop.

Agreed, its just such a wild concept for them to pretend the #1 pick is still contemplating things when other teams have had all day to send offers if they changed their mind.

There are legit football analysts now predicting that McCarthy may end up going in the top 6 picks and may, at worst, not make it past the Vikings, Broncos or Raiders in the early teens.

I've noticed a huge shift towards JJ among the NE media over the past week plus with many suggesting trading back then picking McCarthy. I'm all for adding picks but if you're moving down but still taking a QB in the top half of the 1st round, to me it would just make more sense to take the better Qb at 3.

McCarty is not the guy but theres always one every draft that gets over hyped. Only way I really see him getting a top 6 pick would be the Chargers trading Herbert and Harbaugh drafting him which in that case the Chargers will get everything they deserve for Spanos moving the team so he could have a Hollywood hills or Malibu mansion when San Diego is much nicer anyways

Richardson was drafted to high last year. Levis maybe thats where he should have been, a little up or down seems kinda right. McCarthy is like a poor mans Levis with what he showed in college. Teams do get desperate when it comes to QBs but even though Im not a big fan of Bo Nix that would be a better choice for someone doing something crazy

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

For sure and even in that case you know that if a team is fighting to get in they dont have the players to do much in the playoffs unless a bunch just came back from injury

Agreed, its just such a wild concept for them to pretend the #1 pick is still contemplating things when other teams have had all day to send offers if they changed their mind.

McCarty is not the guy but theres always one every draft that gets over hyped. Only way I really see him getting a top 6 pick would be the Chargers trading Herbert and Harbaugh drafting him which in that case the Chargers will get everything they deserve for Spanos moving the team so he could have a Hollywood hills or Malibu mansion when San Diego is much nicer anyways

Richardson was drafted to high last year. Levis maybe thats where he should have been, a little up or down seems kinda right. McCarthy is like a poor mans Levis with what he showed in college. Teams do get desperate when it comes to QBs but even though Im not a big fan of Bo Nix that would be a better choice for someone doing something crazy

With this draft being so deep at QB and NE owning a very high pick for the first time in forever, I started researching how this QB draft class has compared to previous QB classes in recent years. Just to see how the 2024 QBs compared going by their pre-draft prospect grade on the NFL's website. Not really to justify taking or not taking a certain QB at #3 but more to see how Daniels, Maye or a QB from that 2nd tier compared to other 1st round QBs over the past 6-8years.
    For example:
    Caleb has a 6.74 prospect grade
    Daniels 6.73
    Maye 6.50
    I wanted to see which other QBs from the past 6-8yrs had grades in that range and who else was in that McCarthy/Penix/Nix 6.40-6.25 range?

I've been researching while watching recent Celtics games and just about 80% done, i'll post the results in the next week or two. At the very least it would give us all something else to talk about while we wait for the draft.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 6:16PM

with three potential franchise QBs set to go 1-2-3, coupled with this being a deep draft, and New England is in a very enviable position. there are some teams that desperately need a signal caller, and i can all but guarantee that there's at least one prepared to pay a king's ransom to slide into the top 3. if the Patriots turn #3 into two picks later in the first round, the chances of them adding two studs instead of one is quite high. if they can get 11 & 23 from Minnesota, that's the route i'd personally go.

edit: looks like Minny is the only team that can give them a 1st round 2-for-1

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    with three potential franchise QBs set to go 1-2-3, coupled with this being a deep draft, and New England is in a very enviable position. there are some teams that desperately need a signal caller, and i can all but guarantee that there's at least one prepared to pay a king's ransom to slide into the top 3. if the Patriots turn #3 into two picks later in the first round, the chances of them adding two studs instead of one is quite high. if they can get 11 & 23 from Minnesota, that's the route i'd personally go.

edit: looks like Minny is the only team that can give them a 1st round 2-for-1

I'd prefer that one of the teams between picks 4-8 come with offers to move up just so NE still gets one of the top 3 WRs or top 2 Tackles, one may fall to 11 if that's where NE ends up but not guaranteed.

If they do give 3 to the Vikings then if they miss out on those 5 players above, i'd probably try dropping into the mid to late teens with another move back. Hopefully one of the other Qb needy teams decide to jump ahead of the Broncos & Raiders. I'm all for accumulating as many picks as possible.
    Maybe use those two 1sts wherever they may end up but then also take 34 + some late round pick to jump back into the 1st and end up with 3 players in round one.

Pats fans have hated that Belichick traded back most of the time but with so many real holes in this offense, Trade Away lol. Starting with pick #3 and moving back 2-3 times in that 1st round will help balance out the roster much quicker. Plus the Vikings will likely need to include a 1st or 2nd from 2025 too so that pick could be used in a deal too.

• Options

Chicago is in a great position too. just in this one offseason they could end up adding...
    their Qb of the future in Williams
    a #1 WR in Allen
    a #1Rb in Swift
    and depending on what they do with #9,could possibly add either a top 2 Tackle in Alt/Fashanu or the top TE in Bowers. Talk about rebuilding the offense on the fly lol.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 7:16PM

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

With this draft being so deep at QB and NE owning a very high pick for the first time in forever, I started researching how this QB draft class has compared to previous QB classes in recent years. Just to see how the 2024 QBs compared going by their pre-draft prospect grade on the NFL's website. Not really to justify taking or not taking a certain QB at #3 but more to see how Daniels, Maye or a QB from that 2nd tier compared to other 1st round QBs over the past 6-8years.
    For example:
    Daniels 6.73
    Maye 6.50
    I wanted to see which other QBs from the past 6-8yrs had grades in that range and who else was in that McCarthy/Penix/Nix 6.40-6.25 range?

I've been researching while watching recent Celtics games and just about 80% done, i'll post the results in the next week or two. At the very least it would give us all something else to talk about while we wait for the draft.

Going off the NFL website grades for this year Travis, Rattler, Slovis, Milton and Pratt are close to that second tier range in the high 5 range. Travis didnt do anything at the combine since he broke his leg at the end of the season. Daniels skipped the measurements but will do the LSU pro day as it really wouldnt have helped him and the others including Caleb and Maye picked what they did for measurements.

The NFL website prospect grading thing with the 1 to 8 scale is rather new and not entirely sure how far it goes back. Nabers is actually the highest rated prospect grade they have this year out of anyone including over MHJ with his 6.86 and MHJ having a 6.83.

I'm not entirely sure how much weight I put into their prospect ratings thing at this point. They had Jahmyr Gibbs as a 6.37 last year which is supposed to eventually be very good and he was very good right away. Riddler was listed as a 6.36, Richardson was a 6.40, Marcus Mariota was a 6.80, Levis was a 6.34, Jake Locker was a 7.50,

I think theres better sources for rating college players like the college based sites than the NFL website one that seems to favor measurements at the combine. They get some right, but theres some high rankings where college fans knew were not going to work out very well

For this draft I would expect Maye to be the one left at 3. Daniels or Caleb will be 1, its not set in stone its Caleb like the media thinks. Washington will likely take which one the Bears dont especially if Caleb is still there

I think one of the most interesting aspects of this draft is this is the one year you actually want to be drafted 1st with the Bears having two top 10 picks and adding Allen cheaply

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

For example:
    Daniels 6.73
    Maye 6.50

Going off the NFL website grades for this year Travis, Rattler, Slovis, Milton and Pratt are close to that second tier range in the high 5 range. Travis didnt do anything at the combine since he broke his leg at the end of the season. Daniels skipped the measurements but will do the LSU pro day as it really wouldnt have helped him and the others including Caleb and Maye picked what they did for measurements.

The NFL website prospect grading thing with the 1 to 8 scale is rather new and not entirely sure how far it goes back. Nabers is actually the highest rated prospect grade they have this year out of anyone including over MHJ with his 6.86 and MHJ having a 6.83.

I'm not entirely sure how much weight I put into their prospect ratings thing at this point. They had Jahmyr Gibbs as a 6.37 last year which is supposed to eventually be very good and he was very good right away. Riddler was listed as a 6.36, Richardson was a 6.40, Marcus Mariota was a 6.80, Levis was a 6.34, Jake Locker was a 7.50,

I think theres better sources for rating college players like the college based sites than the NFL website one that seems to favor measurements at the combine. They get some right, but theres some high rankings where college fans knew were not going to work out very well

For this draft I would expect Maye to be the one left at 3. Daniels or Caleb will be 1, its not set in stone its Caleb like the media thinks. Washington will likely take which one the Bears dont especially if Caleb is still there

I think one of the most interesting aspects of this draft is this is the one year you actually want to be drafted 1st with the Bears having two top 10 picks and adding Allen cheaply

I like the NFL's grading because they don't change any of the info after the player has been drafted. Many times when I've gone to look up a player's draft profile, some sites alter their pre-draft profiles for whatever reasons, NFLN didn't. I'm sure there are other very good sites to use but 1) I haven't gone looking for them and 2) I like the one that I've always used. 🤷‍♂️

I've already compiled a list of all QBs drafted since around 2016-17 along with their draft prospect grades. Its a TOn of quarterbacks, many that never amounted to anything in the league. Rather than posting every Qb from every draft during that time,
    I was thinking of listing them from the highest draft grade down to a range where the Qbs were somewhat still relevant, Just off the top of my head I think Trevor Lawrence may have had the highest grade during that stretch at 7.40. The work is pretty much all done, its just creating a new discussion here and typing it out. Boston has b2b games tomorrow and monday so I'll finish it then.

• Options
    edited March 16, 2024 8:41PM

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

For example:
    Daniels 6.73
    Maye 6.50

I like the NFL's grading because they don't change any of the info after the player has been drafted. Many times when I've gone to look up a player's draft profile, some sites alter their pre-draft profiles for whatever reasons, NFLN didn't. I'm sure there are other very good sites to use but 1) I haven't gone looking for them and 2) I like the one that I've always used. 🤷‍♂️

I've already compiled a list of all QBs drafted since around 2016-17 along with their draft prospect grades. Its a TOn of quarterbacks, many that never amounted to anything in the league. Rather than posting every Qb from every draft during that time,
    I was thinking of listing them from the highest draft grade down to a range where the Qbs were somewhat still relevant, Just off the top of my head I think Trevor Lawrence may have had the highest grade during that stretch at 7.40. The work is pretty much all done, its just creating a new discussion here and typing it out. Boston has b2b games tomorrow and monday so I'll finish it then.

I had just looked up a few of them that came to mind as some examples. Kenny Pickett was another he was a 6.40 and RG3 when I went back that far was a 95 out of a 100 type thing. Youre certainly more familiar with the site rankings than I am. I lean more towards the college side where like a Pickett or Jake Locker were easy to see it wasnt going to work especially with the teams they were drafted by.

I think it would be interesting if you included low rated guys like Prudy who everyone knows I'm not a fan of. I'm not overly familiar with the NFL website draft ratings and think it would be interesting to see both ends of it for accuracy even though thats definitely more work for you

It does seem like it could be a lot of fun though comparing the college perspective and that

• Options

Former Pats LT Trent Brown signs a 1yr deal with the Bengals. Someone should wish joe Burrow good luck for when Brown will decide he doesn't feel like putting in an honest effort.
    The guy is 6-8 370lbs and has the ability to just maul defenders when he feels like playing hard, unfortunately Burrow and the Bengals may find out that that doesn't happen too often.

• Options

WR Mike WIlliams signing a 1yr/15M deal with the Jets.

• Options

What a dumpster fire Chargers are turning into. I get the Jets have Rodgers, but to not resign him for 1 year 15 mil or infuriate him so much he wouldnt resign is quite impressive

How in the world do you lose Allen and Williams and all you have to show for it is a 4th round pick between the two

• Options
    edited March 19, 2024 2:30PM

@Basebal21 said:
    What a dumpster fire Chargers are turning into. I get the Jets have Rodgers, but to not resign him for 1 year 15 mil or infuriate him so much he wouldnt resign is quite impressive

How in the world do you lose Allen and Williams and all you have to show for it is a 4th round pick between the two

Jim Harbaugh

He is a weird individual, I imagine the Chargers will regret signing him and Jim will be flipping out on the sidelines when he realizes he is back in the big leagues not the big house lol

I'm actually looking forward to it, I really like Harbaugh for his weirdness, it's very humorous

• Options
    edited March 19, 2024 2:34PM

I'm thinking I'm going to put a pretty decent wager on the Jets to win the AFC East this season

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

I admit that about 98% of all Chargers news that I hear about comes from you but didn't they both have insanely high cap hits for 2024 and neither was willing to lower them, or something to that effect?

Did Williams have more years on his contract when he was let go?

• Options
    edited March 19, 2024 2:45PM

@perkdog said:
    I'm thinking I'm going to put a pretty decent wager on the Jets to win the AFC East this season

Between Rodgers, Williams and Tyron Smith there's All-Pro potential for the three most important positions on offense. I haven't seen the full additions/subtractions list from their 2023 defense but it was still very very good especially in the passing game. Honestly, this might be the best Jets team of my lifetime, they just can't lose Arod again.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Jim Harbaugh

He is a weird individual, I imagine the Chargers will regret signing him and Jim will be flipping out on the sidelines when he realizes he is back in the big leagues not the big house lol

I'm actually looking forward to it, I really like Harbaugh for his weirdness, it's very humorous

Believe me Im very aware of the Jim Harbaugh effect lol. Theres a reason he couldnt beat OSU until Meyer got run out of town and Michigan was not very good the majority of his time there. They got lucky against Alabama last year as well. I did find it funny that hes been trying to get back into the NFL for a couple years now and finally got a chance when he was going to get suspended for cheating.

Even with that though to just come in and blow up a roster with little to show for it I get they have a bad owner and salary cap issues but even taking anything is better than just cutting Williams. Joey Bosa has started 9 games in 2 years and hes 29 now and thats who they pick to make it work for over either WR?

Theyre going to get everything they deserve for leaving SD if Harbaugh is planning to run the team with the same strategy he used at Michigan

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

I admit that about 98% of all Chargers news that I hear about comes from you but didn't they both have insanely high cap hits for 2024 and neither was willing to lower them, or something to that effect?

The cap was a big issue with them. Williams would have been I think a 20 hit and Allen refused to take a paycut. Spanos could have of course just converted things to signing bonuses to make it work but hes not a good owner.

They could have accomplished the same thing letting Bosa go or trading him. Bosa took a paycut but in return got his pay fully guaranteed and have an opportunity to earn most of the pay back in incentives. Hes rarely been on the field the last two years. Bosas contract might be an issue again next year

Khalii Mack took a small paycut in exchange for them not being able to franchise tag him after the season

• Options

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

The cap was a big issue with them. Williams would have been I think a 20 hit and Allen refused to take a paycut. Spanos could have of course just converted things to signing bonuses to make it work but hes not a good owner.

They could have accomplished the same thing letting Bosa go or trading him. Bosa took a paycut but in return got his pay fully guaranteed and have an opportunity to earn most of the pay back in incentives. Hes rarely been on the field the last two years. Bosas contract might be an issue again next year

Khalii Mack took a small paycut in exchange for them not being able to franchise tag him after the season

I just took a look at their Spotrac contracts page and the dead cap hits for these 3 are just brutal.
    JC Jackson 20.8M
    Williams 12.4M
    Allen 11.6M

Its not as bad as what Russell Wilson will cost the Broncos this season but that's still rough for just 3 players.
    That JC Jackson contract might be the ultimate Bill Belichick system player that wasn't the same level of player outside of NE. ironically there's talk about re-signing Jackson to a cheap incentive based contract.

• Options
    edited March 19, 2024 3:21PM

there is a real chance that Harrison falls in Harbaugh's lap at 5 because the Cardinals' GM, Ossenfort, gets high on trading down

if that happens, LA's future becomes so bright they're gonna have to wear shades

you don't pass up on a generational talent like MHJ, ever, but who am i to opine.............i'm just a dope who posts on a sports forum

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

@erikthredd said:

@Basebal21 said:

I just took a look at their Spotrac contracts page and the dead cap hits for these 3 are just brutal.
    JC Jackson 20.8M
    Williams 12.4M
    Allen 11.6M

Its not as bad as what Russell Wilson will cost the Broncos this season but that's still rough for just 3 players.
    That JC Jackson contract might be the ultimate Bill Belichick system player that wasn't the same level of player outside of NE. ironically there's talk about re-signing Jackson to a cheap incentive based contract.

Jackson was definitely a disaster in every sense of the word for the Chargers and now the Bears got a number 1 WR for a 4th round pick and the Jets got another number 1 for 15 million. As long as Jets dont do Jets things and Metlifes terrible turf doesnt just randomly injure people Jets have to be a favorite right now

The Wilson ones kind of okay for the Broncos. Its better to basically get it out of the way in one year and they just dumped everyone anyways. Jeudy just got a 3 year extension from the Browns from that trade.

• Options
    edited March 20, 2024 11:40AM

Looking through all of the FA additions and notable losses for each team to this point a few teams have done a really good job improving their roster,imo.

KC keeping Chris Jones while adding Hollywood Brown & Irv Smith Jr were all good moves,now they just need to figure out Sneed's situation.

Atlanta turned over most of their offense by adding Kirk Cousins, Darnell Mooney,Rondale Moore & RayRay McCloud.

I like what Philly has done by adding Saquon Barkley, Bryce Huff, CJ Gardner-Johnson and Devin White.

The Bucs did well to retain Baker, Mike Evans, Lavonte David & Antoine Winfield Jr even though they still lost Carlton Davis, Shaq Barrett & Devin White.

The Bears had done very well in bringing in offensive weapons for Caleb Williams in RB D'Andre Swift, WR Keenan Allen & TE Gerald Everett. Also,that 9th pick that they own could turn into a very valuable trade chip for some team looking to move up for a QB.

The Jets have added some high end players on offense with T Tyron Smith & WR Mike Williams and even upgraded the backup QB spot with Tyrod Taylor in case Arod misses more time.

Overall, I like the moves made by NE in:
    who they retained (Onwenu/Dugger/Henry/Bourne/Jennings/Uche)
    who they didn't bother bringing back (Mac/Parker/Trent Brown/Gesicki)
    and who they added (Gibson/Brissett/Takitaki/Hooper/Leverett/Okorafor/Watts/Osborn)

Their overall goal was to get younger while not overpaying for players,even though they had the cap space, like what in recent years with Nelson Agholor, Jonnu Smith & Ju-Ju Smith-Schuster.

My only real gripe with how their free agency has gone so far is not signing at least one more staring caliber offensive lineman. There are still plenty out there and it could still happen, they're currently still sitting on 50+M in cap space. Adding more WRs would have been great but there weren't many game changer types available other than RIdley who wasn't too keen on coming to NE plus the one wideout that they did add, KJ Osborn, might already be the best WR in NE.

Here's a link showing each team's offseason moves to date:
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-free-agency-grades-2024-best-worst-offseason/5ee13013f6adbcb9daa63345

• Options

Two teams that standout the most for who they've lost or haven't really made any offseason moves yet are the Chargers & Cowboys.

LA lost most ,if not all, of their offense in Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Austin Ekeler & Gerald Everett now playing elsewhere.

Dallas has signed just one new addition in LB Erik Hendricks and retained just 3 of their own FA's, 1 that was a long snapper. They've lost some solid players in Tony Pollard, Michael Gallup, Leighton Vander Esch, Stephon Gilmore & Tyron Smith.

• Options
    edited March 23, 2024 7:50AM

KC is trading cornerback L'Jarius Sneed to the Titans for a 2024 7th & a 2025 3rd. TENN is signing him to a 4/76m/55m deal.
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39790117/sources-chiefs-set-trade-ljarius-sneed-titans

• Options
    edited March 25, 2024 3:03PM

Im sure this rule change will work out well. Just have to hit stick people to tackle now if they really enforce this

• Options

Haason Reddick to the Jets for a 2026 3rd round pick. Will be a second round pick if he gets over 10 sacks and plays at least 67.5% of snaps

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I Like What I'm Seeing... :)

• Options

Dallas police looking for Rashee Rice. His vehicle was involved in a major crash sometime during the night