Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thaler Time

2»

Comments

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stella said:
    @lordmarcovan Those count too in my book!

@jt88 Very pretty White Swan.

Wouldn't you know it? I get excited over a floating bird and it's a pop 1/0 :'(

• Options
    Que_sai_jeQue_sai_je Posts: 101 ✭✭✭

PSA: Don't believe everything you read. This the scarce one taler, not the extremely rare 1 1/4 taler as slabbed. Coin is no longer in the holder. Not throwing stones, understandable data entry mistake, it happens. A buyer, IMO, does have some responsibility to know what they are paying for.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

@Que_sai_je - The 1 1/4 shows a weight of 35.8g. Is the weight the only differentiator between the two? Identifying the mistake is a very tricky endeavor assuming diameter is the same and the taler is housed in the oversized slab.

• Options
    edited January 15, 2023 4:41PM

1795 Fulda taler (DAV-2265A). One year type issued in the final years of the bishopric (dissolved by Napoleon in 1802). PCGS MS-63. Flat/weak strikes are typical for the issue.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any new Taler acquisitions out there?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    edited April 13, 2023 12:15PM

Corvey taler dated 1723. I've been on the hunt for a piece from Corvey for quite a long time....decent examples are harder to find than one might expect. The abbey has an interesting history dating to the early 9th century near the time that bishoprics Hildesheim, Halberstadt, and Paderborn were established. Corvey’s first abbot, Adalard of Corbie, was a cousin of Charlemagne. Relics of St Vitus (pictured on the obv) were gifted to the young abbey in 836 from abbey of St Denis near Paris. NGC EF-40. DAV-2199.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

How about a 2/3 Thaler? 1693 Henneberg.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    Sergey74Sergey74 Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

One of mine, don't collect it.

Peace.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a new acquisition of mine:

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stella,

This coin is a newp from NYINC that I once chased years ago when SB auctioned off the world collection of John Whitney Walter. Previous to that, he had an ancients collection and a highly specialized US collection of 1796-dated die varieties (Mr. 1796 collection).

He’s also a past member of the NY Numismatic Club.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

@EVillageProwler Neat piece and a neat story! Pretty cool.

• Options

A rather obscure taler from Abbey of Murbach and Luders in upper Alsace, struck during the seat of Archduke Leopold Wilhelm of Austria (younger brother of Emperor Ferdinand III). The taler was struck circa 1630 (no date) in the Ensisheim mint. PCGS AU-58. KM-24; DAV-5617B.

Despite not being a member of the clergy, the Archduke held various Prince-Bishoprics within the Holy Roman Empire to provide him an income: Halberstadt (1628–1648), Passau (1625–1662), Breslau (1656–1662), Olmütz (1637–1662) and Strasbourg (1626–1662). He became the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order in 1641. Family connections certainly helped back in the day.....

The Murbach abbey and monastery existed for over 1,000 years before it was sacked during French Revolution in1789 and dissolved not long after.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    I alas remain thaler-less for the time being (intend to fix that), but I do have some fractions.

I am no longer thaler-less now!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW Close enough for me!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    edited February 6, 2024 6:28PM

Added the elusive 1732 Mainz 1/4 taler from the January Heritage auction to compliment the 1/2 and 1 talers I have of the same date. Reported mintage of 200 per denomination makes this a challenging run to assemble. The 3 pictured below are the only examples graded by both NGC and PCGS. Still searching for the 1/8 taler denomination.

1732 Mainz 1/4 schautaler
    Commemorates the death of archbishop of Mainz Philipp Karl von Eltz-Kempenich. Features St. Martin on horseback.

• Options
    SimonWSimonW Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really cool @worldcoinguy

This is new, not a full Thaler, can I have 2/3 of the credit? 😂

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• Options

@SimonW - you can never go wrong with a wildman. I like the deep tone on that one.

• Options
    edited February 7, 2024 12:34PM

@SimonW That counts in my book!

Here is another fractional Wildman to go with yours: