Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Best looking Teutonic Order. Maximilian II of Austria

Hello,
I have been waiting to get a double thaler of Teutonic Order. Maximilian II of Austria 2. Now i don't have a large budget but the thing that has been putting me off for the most part was the face of the grand master. Face of the grand master on most double thalers looked ghastly and some downright scary. I saw the first coin here accidentally on last week's Heritage Thursday night sale. Although it is badly repaired and cleaned , i liked the obverse and Maximilian II looked human :wink: . So i won the coin last Thursday. probably not a wise choice in terms of future value but i liked it.
Here is the coin i won and obverse from few others i got from Heritage archives. Three of them are actually up for sale at the moment.

All pictures are copy right material from Heritage.

Coin #1

Coin #2

Coin #3

Coin #4

Coin #5

Coin #6

Coin #7

Coin #8

Coin #9

Comments

• ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed a sharp obverse - well done. Mine has the mushy face.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't you wonder who once wore it and when? Then you can also wonder about just who plugged and repaired the hole and when. A lot could have happened in the 404 years since that coin was struck!

All glory is fleeting.
  • yes and why didnt they think of a mount instead plug :s

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Human brains are hard-wired to focus on faces so we can't avoid placing more emphasis on a face/portrait design element. I think you made a good choice and you (and me too) will continue to react negatively to the poorly defined facial features of the other examples. Many hammered and early milled coins, leuwendaalders, any standing or seated liberty -- Dutch 3 gulden, Peru Republic 8 reales and Saint-Gaudens double eagle, come to mind -- can have weakly-struck or deformed faces. To me, it's a significant factor in eye-appeal and may cause me to choose a details coin over a straight grade.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are coins #4 and #5 the same coin?

• mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

very attractive, I love the reverse!!

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2018 8:37PM

Mine has a mushy face too.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm impressed !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • wow that 3 Taler is simply awesome. Zohar/EVP Nevermind the face those are great coins. One of my goals is to get one of those LÖsers one day.