Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thaler Time

Do you have a favorite thaler, or just a recent addition to your collection that you are very happy with?

Let's see what you have to share!

1693 Henneberg Thaler, Dav 7481. This coin arrived yesterday and joins my flock of 3 other Henneberg Thalers.

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy The schautaler portrays St. Martin. It would make a nice addition to my St. Martin collection if I ever come across an affordable one.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

How come there are so many high grade specimens out there ….

They must have minted a ton ?

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy - beautiful!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I doubt they circulated much but were more a store of wealth.

@bidask said:
    How come there are so many high grade specimens out there ….

They must have minted a ton ?

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of cool examples here so far!

@worldcoinguy That is an impressive piece.

@EVillageProwler How could you pick one? I understand!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Leopoldus from Oaxaca? :D

• Options

:D > @pruebas said:

Leopoldus from Oaxaca? :D

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

@Que_sai_je - The 1507 Saxony 1/4 is beautiful; it has nice eye appeal. I agree with your comments on the grade - I think it has upward potential given other AU 50 I have seen recently.

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

That is sweet indeed messydeck. Good luck.

These can also be used as deadly weapons, what’s the weight of that double taler that Zohar posted first? Who BTW I see that he has consecutive Cert numbers, an expert eye and a nice submission Z!

@WildIdea , nice idea to place a regular holder next to these monsters, I have recently been fooled by a similar image without anything at scale to compare it to.

@worldcoinguy, that’s a lot of medal per holder, very pretty.

Everybody loves big old silver coins right? I liked bidask’s image too, with the discus in hand, before the throw 😅 ,as well as everyone else’s posts, this was a very nice thread.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not usually enthralled by big coins, but this Bavaria piece with Max's dour face and the minimalistic geometric reverse makes me consider it for my Christmas wish list:

Jaeger 15, Thun 45, AKS 59, Kahnt 69, Davenport 551, KM 361

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some real beauties!

• Options

@Zohar said:

Fantastic coin !

• Options

I love seeing all of these! Keep them coming if you have a coin to share.

This quirky 1698 Henneberg Taler combines a mining scene with the Henneberg emblem (the hen.)

• Options

@Stella - a truly exceptional taler! Amazing. You have specialized in a very scarce and desirable corner of the taler world (Henneberg).

• Options

Thank you, @worldcoinguy !

• Options

To the top for Thaler Thursday!

Arrived yesterday - not that rare, not super high grade - but great look and nice date!
    (Anybody have good tricks for these slightly older NGC slabs - this is after I cleaned the slab! The coin itself is not hairlined.)

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

This is my sole coin purchase this year so far, but I am eagerly eyeing the "talerpalooza" sale coming in August at Heritage.

Wedding schautaler (Hochzeitstaler). Broad planchet, 51.5mm, Struck in 1 taler weight (27.8). Behrens 727a, attributed to Lubeck mint master Jürgen Rothusen (circa 1580).

• Options

Here is another feathered friend from Henneberg.

• Options

Outstanding Henneberg! Wow. Do you prefer to keep these raw, or will you grade it?

• Options

Managed to pick up a taler that was on my long term wish list. Its a 1666 Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel “death taler” struck to commemorate Augustus II the Younger, Duke of Brunswick-Luneburg. The dying tree with a skull is quite distinctive. Reverse in Latin: born (NATUS Apr 10, 1579), ruled (REXIT 36 years), died (OBIIT Sept 17, 1666), lived (VIXIT 87 years, 5 months, 7 days). Date is a chronogram in the reverse legend (MDCLXVI). Stuck in Zellerfeld mint, Classified as Welter 824, DAV-6376. Broad planchet strike (approx 48mm) puts it in an oversized NGC holder (AU-58).

• Options

@Zohar said:

Very impressive

This is my lone specimen

• Options

Love these, @Zohar ! Thank you for sharing.

Thank you, @worldcoinguy . Most of my Thalers are raw, although I did purchase a 2/3 Thaler recently that was already in a holder.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@jt88: Nice example of the 1748 Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel taler for White Swan Mine. Great design.

• Options

A "taler Tuesday" addition today:
    1617 Erfurt taler; DAV-5262, KM 19.1. Taler obverse features wild man and wild woman holding the Erfurt coat of arms.
    Struck by mint master AW (Asmus Wagner). Reverse edge inscription: DATE CAESARIS CAESARI ET QUAE DEI DEO (Matthew 22:21 – Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's).
    Interesting to note that Martin Luther studied in Erfurt in 1501 and was ordained as a priest in the Erfurt Cathedral. Although he moved to Wittenberg in 1511, Erfurt was an early adopter of the Protestant Reformation as early as 1521.

• Options

1/2 Taler Klippe from Salzburg. There are a lot of these, this one seemed pretty.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

I alas remain thaler-less for the time being (intend to fix that), but I do have some fractions.

Here's a 1/4- and 1/2-thaler I'm quite fond of...

German States (Teutonic Order): silver 1/4-thaler of Grand Master Maximilian of Austria, ca. 1615

Swiss Cantons (Zurich): silver "city view" 1/2-thaler (1 gulden of 36 schillings), 1739

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3

• Options

@lordmarcovan Those count too in my book!

@jt88 Very pretty White Swan.