Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Hockey Card Thread...show your recent pick-ups.

Comments

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hidhoe said:

@mark_dak said:
    The ten year old inside me really wants to rip into these!! I just know there's a Roy PSA 10 in one of these!

Mark

>

Just one Roy per box 3x out of 4.
    Who’s on the back ?

After some exhaustive "research" it appears to be #253 Greg Adams, #150 Bob Carpenter and #155 Bryan Trottier.

Mark

• Options

Not a pickup, per se, but did unconver this when I flipped a page in my Grandfather's scrapbook:

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome back! I’ve come and gone like that, ebb and flow. Nice cards, will always love that image if Bossy, you know he is going to grab the puck and rip one from the wing.

• Options
    artistlostartistlost Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭

Love that card Frozencaribou! When i see it i does make me sad that I sold that amazing high grade personal HOF rookie collection. I do miss it often. :(

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

@artistlost said:
    Love that card Frozencaribou! When i see it i does make me sad that I sold that amazing high grade personal HOF rookie collection. I do miss it often. :(

I totally understand. Glad you are back at it though. Hope you build an even better collection now

• Options

@Frozencaribou said:

@artistlost said:

I totally understand. Glad you are back at it though. Hope you build an even better collection now

I'll be going a lot lower key this time around. Sticking to 'collector's grade' with great eye appeal which I am really enjoying doing so far. Have to keep most of my collecting money to buy vinyl after all ;)

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    dtmodeldtmodel Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Wow, that Lafleur is spectacular!

• Options

This is how I collect now as well, lots of fun. Also collect vinyl!

@artistlost said:

@Frozencaribou said:

@artistlost said:

I'll be going a lot lower key this time around. Sticking to 'collector's grade' with great eye appeal which I am really enjoying doing so far. Have to keep most of my collecting money to buy vinyl after all ;)

• Options
    STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

Here's a few POP 1's recently returned from the modern special. For my Blues PC. Had to get one of the HOFer in one of his 7 glorious games played in the Blue Note and the other is a natural born HOFer!

• Options

Nice Brodeur, STL. Good to see the variety

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the McAvoy

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    I like the McAvoy

Thanks. I really like the way the paint pen came out on it.

• Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

@Frozencaribou said:

@artistlost said:

How ya been Nathaniel.
    What’s going on in your collecting universe these days.

• Options
    erbaerba Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

@Frozencaribou said:

@artistlost said:

How ya been Nathaniel.
    What’s going on in your collecting universe these days.

Welcome back Goldenage. How many times have you been booted from the boards now?

• Options
    edited February 23, 2024 6:29AM

@Frozencaribou said:
    With the return of artistlost, I have to pay tribute with a card I bought from him in back in 2012. Thanks again and welcome back!

Beautiful LaFluer, and how did you make out with Bobby B and the 1955 Parkhurst investigation/inquiry?

• Options

Nathani> @artistlost said:

So I started this thread 13 years ago and it's nice to see it still going...

Well, after 13 years I couldn't stand not owning and collecting hockey cards anymore so I have started buying again and thought I would love to share with all of you, both new and a few old (that may remember me). Here are my recent pick ups.

Going after the rookies once again ?

• Options

@4Boston said:

Yup. HOF rookies again :)

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

@artistlost said:

@4Boston said:

Yup. HOF rookies again :)

Excellent time to buy.
    Prices are very reasonable.

Parkhurst rookies not so sure.

Good luck.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    My SGC sub results are back. Reasonably happy - did really well on the BB. Some headscratchers for hockey, that I haven't included, but overall a good experience and I think results are fair.

Love those cards @80sOPC ! Congrats on the Roy SGC 9

• Options

Thank you sir, the In Action was disappointing, I can’t see anything wrong with it. Wondering if the thought the reflection behind him is a print flaw, or that the rough cut was a corner ding.

The Roy 6 has a wax stain on back fwiw.

• Options

All time great US born player. Such a smooth operator.

• Options

Nice cards @JoeBanzai . PM coming.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@80sOPC said:
    All time great US born player. Such a smooth operator.

I recently came across some footage of him at the All Star game hardest shot competition. He hit 100MPH!
    Beautiful skater.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@artistlost said:
    A few more additions to the new collection...

Beautiful additions !

Are you sticking with the newly graded cards only.

• Options

FWIW I’ve resubmitted recently with two cards grading higher then what they graded last year.
    No cards went lower.
    This is only 10 cards at a time so no major declaration here.
    Many collectors only buy the new certs now. Many don’t care.

• Options

@4Boston said:

@artistlost said:

Beautiful additions !

Not really sure. To be honest I am not sure why some only like the newly graded slabs. I have been reading that people will pay more for the new slabs. For me, I buy based on the card and I can always just send them to PSA to be reslab from what I understand...

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

@artistlost said:

@4Boston said:

@artistlost said:

Beautiful additions !

Not really sure. To be honest I am not sure why some only like the newly graded slabs. I have been reading that people will pay more for the new slabs. ..

Grading got much stricter. Plenty of examples of it. People feel they’re getting better cards. I could care less and just look at the card and not the holder.

• Options

Grading got much stricter. Plenty of examples of it. People feel they’re getting better cards. I could care less and just look at the card and not the holder.

That makes sense with what I have been reading online. I too just buy the card not eh holder. Thanks!

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options

Question to the group. Outside of eBay, anyone have any good sites or groups to buy PSA graded cards from the late 70s and 80s?

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2024 3:18AM

This card has four mint corners but is an 8. Centering ???

This card has that OPC butter knife cut but has four perfect corners with only opc hair showing. Could be a 9.

grading is tougher now I think.

• Options

@4Boston said:

@Frozencaribou said:
    With the return of artistlost, I have to pay tribute with a card I bought from him in back in 2012. Thanks again and welcome back!

Beautiful LaFluer, and how did you make out with Bobby B and the 1955 Parkhurst investigation/inquiry?

Hey 4Boston! Thanks for the question. The puck is in my end on that one. I have all the information, I have the finished sheets with 100 percent certainty for 1955 Parkhurst and 1955 Quaker Oats, but I haven't written up the accompanying article that would explain methodology and also provide insight into the sets and their history.

I have been procrastinating on this for over a year now, and have to just put the time in do the writing now.

-Nathanael

• Options

@artistlost said:
    Question to the group. Outside of eBay, anyone have any good sites or groups to buy PSA graded cards from the late 70s and 80s?

There are a few good FB groups for vintage hockey buy/sell/trade. Vintage hockey and sportscards plus is quite active. Also Chris Thompson sportscards. It's hit and miss, but there are lots of great cards that change hands on those sites.

• Options

@Frozencaribou said:

@artistlost said:

There are a few good FB groups for vintage hockey buy/sell/trade. Vintage hockey and sportscards plus is quite active. Also Chris Thompson sportscards. It's hit and miss, but there are lots of great cards that change hands on those sites.

Artislost - I totally concur with this.
    I’ve met some great collectors and former friends from years gone by in these groups.
    Just purchased an incredibly rare card that would have been impossible without them.

Try these groups……

Wayne Gretzky rookie cards
    Chris Thompson
    Vintage hockey

I bought this Lemieux rookie from Wayne Gretzky rookie cards recently. The guy lived close to me. Used PayPal gift and we saved each other decent money.

• Options

@Frozencaribou @4Boston

thanks for the sites! I was already on the 'Vintage hockey and sportscards plus' fb group and have had some luck and will try the others. Oh and Natan, i sent you a message once I found you in the one group :)

baseball & hockey junkie

drugs of choice
    NHL hall of fame rookies
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

Steve Yzerman 1992 Finnish Semic sticker. When I was collecting anything and everything Yzerman 30+ years ago I didn’t even know about Semics. Semic usually made Swedish and Finnish versions but as far as I know there was only a Finnish set in 1992.

• Options

@artistlost said:
    @Frozencaribou @4Boston

thanks for the sites! I was already on the 'Vintage hockey and sportscards plus' fb group and have had some luck and will try the others. Oh and Natan, i sent you a message once I found you in the one group :)

Awesome.
    Chris Thompson has made many of my Facebook friends happy with what he is doing.
    Oh and Natan. Just sent you a friend request on Facebook.

• Options

@RedHeart54 said:
    Steve Yzerman 1992 Finnish Semic sticker. When I was collecting anything and everything Yzerman 30+ years ago I didn’t even know about Semics. Semic usually made Swedish and Finnish versions but as far as I know there was only a Finnish set in 1992.

Yzerman got cut from Team Canada in 1987 and 1991 so I’m interested in the background of this card.

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

Starting in 1989 Semic produced a “World Championship” set within its larger sets. I think it was just a way to get some NHL stars in the sets. For whatever reason in 1992 the players were shown in the jerseys of their respective countries (whereas before they were in their NHL uniforms). Maybe a licensing issue that year?

Yes, this is a rare pre-tournament Canada Cup picture of Yzerman though I don’t know if it’s leading up to ‘87 or ‘91.

• Options

Well.
    I’m sure a few are asking the question of why would Yzerman be wearing a Team Canada jersey in 1987 or 1991 with a C on it.
    Gretzky was the captain both tournaments.

• Options
    rjcoy06rjcoy06 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

Just back from PSA. For those unfamiliar, the Cast for Greatness cards are solid metal.

• Options

recent pick ups:

• Options

Love the Sakics! Am I correct in assuming you’re working on his master set on the PSA registry?

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:
    Love the Sakics! Am I correct in assuming you’re working on his master set on the PSA registry?

Not the master set, the super set. I requested it years ago so I could include Sakic cards post retirement