Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An interesting approach on eBay ...? (what would you do)

U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone ever get a message like this before on eBay?
What would you do or say? Would you even reply at all?

I have received a few messages from this same person but have not replied as I don't think it is the right thing to do nor the best course of action. Am I being overly cautious or would you do the same?

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 7:22PM

Because of snipping, I have NOTHING to do with eBay. Life is too short to waste your life in their website. When you bid thousands and someone can outbid you for $1, with no recourse, the devil with it. eBay is no fun. Never again.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how ebay regulates emails and off-site offers. Might be a little tricky and get negative for you as a seller. If you're interested in selling to him and he wants to buy, you could contact him and possibly give him a BIN offer and still keep it in Ebay. Otherwise, I'd just reply and tell him you don't want to jeopardize your ebay account.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

No reply, why look for trouble if you don't have to

• Options

@MFeld said:
    I wouldn’t reply.

Usually I try to reply to all messages but here it just seems like a no win situation (no matter what you say, not much good can come from it), so that is why I'm not planning to reply.

Would you go so far as to block the person? Or hold off and only do so if they keep sending such messages?

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd block them.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@MFeld said:
    I wouldn’t reply.

Usually I try to reply to all messages but here it just seems like a no win situation (no matter what you say, not much good can come from it), so that is why I'm not planning to reply.

Would you go so far as to block the person? Or hold off and only do so if they keep sending such messages?

At this point, I probably wouldn’t block the person. However, if it would give you some peace of mind, by all means, do it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reply back and tell him you’ll be at Long Beach this week and you can meet up at the coin show itself. Very easy with the added benefit of beefed up security.

• Options

@1madman said:
    Reply back and tell him you’ll be at Long Beach this week and you can meet up at the coin show itself. Very easy with the added benefit of beefed up security.

I'm not going to be at Long Beach or anywhere near California. I edited out the location but it is in the Midwest.

• Options

@bsshog40 said:
    I don't know how ebay regulates emails and off-site offers. Might be a little tricky and get negative for you as a seller. If you're interested in selling to him and he wants to buy, you could contact him and possibly give him a BIN offer and still keep it in Ebay. Otherwise, I'd just reply and tell him you don't want to jeopardize your ebay account.

eBay tends to frown upon off site offers. People get around it but it is against the rules. It is also mentioned that eBay can still charge you a fee if they catch you using their message system to do a deal outside of eBay (I don't know if that has ever been enforced or not though).

• Options

Clearly this person is a SCAMMER — stay away

There is no advantage for the buyer to request a sale away from eBay, clearly they are trying to get you away from the security framework of eBay.

BLOCK and REPORT this person. Because the economy is bad, someone might get tempted to deal with them,

but STAY AWAY

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay cheats have found a way around ebay's software that looks for evidence (email addresses, phone #s, etc.) of offline transactions. Ebay can read the information on a message but not if it's contained in a photo in a listing.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

scam

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TeddyTalks said:
    Clearly this person is a SCAMMER — stay away

There is no advantage for the buyer to request a sale away from eBay, clearly they are trying to get you away from the security framework of eBay.

BLOCK and REPORT this person. Because the economy is bad, someone might get tempted to deal with them,

but STAY AWAY

While I agree with the point about it taking sales off eBay, where a lot of hurt could occur if things go wrong, there is an advantage for a buyer taking a sale off eBay. If the seller saves 10% in fees, it’s not unreasonable for some of that to go to the buyer. So even if a seller has an item listed at their best eBay price, they may be able to offer a discount off eBay. It’s not uncommon to see dealers list on eBay, but in their site a coin is 5-10% less. Same thing on the BST.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

A couple recent eBay sales I made, I got messages not about the item at all, but asking what else I have for sale. It is tempting to save fees by selling offline, but that moment when it finally comes time to meet up in person with a rando from eBay, no thanks, I'll pay my 13%.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not reply.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TimNH said:
    A couple recent eBay sales I made, I got messages not about the item at all, but asking what else I have for sale. It is tempting to save fees by selling offline, but that moment when it finally comes time to meet up in person with a rando from eBay, no thanks, I'll pay my 13%.

That's the thing, you don't have to meet with anybody. Just run it through paypal, there are still buyer and seller protections. The fees are what, 3% instead? Miles cheaper.

Usually if you're an established professional or have a great reptation, buyers will pay you in a manner that isn't refundable or reversible and doesn't incur fees. For years I was selling on reddit with no buyer or seller protections, just reputation-based trading, and I did well. I've had folks zelle me (basically a simplified wire) for coins. I had one dude mail me $4,000 in cash, which was wild. Took personal checks and postal money orders plenty of times from folks with good reputations, I'd just hold for a bit to make sure payment cleared fine. I never had a problem doing things that way either way.

eBay gets their pound of flesh, but they don't have to get every pound of flesh.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

It worries me.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never received such a message or similar.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2024 5:41AM

@U1chicago said:

@MFeld said:
    I wouldn’t reply.

I get them all the time. I usually respond and tell them it is against ebay rules. I also tell them that the price would not be lower in a direct sale.

Most of the people who do it are just trying to get a price cut. Some of them, however, may be attempting a scam.

I even had one person who told me they were currently unable to buy on ebay due to prior cancelations on their part. I blocked them. Anyone who admits they are a problem buyer...smh...

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree it's best to avoid this seller but to play "devil's advocate", if it's something that you really want that's listed at a good price and he takes PP or credit cards, how risky can this transaction be? I'm assuming he's showing good pics and he has a lot of positive feedback.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:
    Agree it's best to avoid this seller but to play "devil's advocate", if it's something that you really want that's listed at a good price and he takes PP or credit cards, how risky can this transaction be? I'm assuming he's showing good pics and he has a lot of positive feedback.

He messaged me about the items I was selling. And he didn’t give any clue of what he wanted to pay-just to contact him to set up a meeting where he could view the items in person.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

No reply.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had similar message with a watch I had for sale guy hinting at how to contact outside ebay and I just ignored it and sent my best offer. He replied "I don't think you understand what I'm saying here.". I said oh I get it I just have no interest in it.

The fees ebay charges are worth every cent to me personally knowing if I just do what I'm supposed to as a seller I can't get burned. Recently had my first "never received the item" issue. It was only $70 item or so but sure was nice when ebay said don't worry we see the tracking says delivered you're protected.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    When you bid thousands and someone can outbid you for $1, with no recourse, the devil with it. eBay is no fun. Never again.

With all due respect, isn’t that the whole point of an online auction? Not sure what ‘recourse’ would be necessary/appropriate. Plug in your true max bid and hope for the best.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:

He messaged me about the items I was selling. And he didn’t give any clue of what he wanted to pay-just to contact him to set up a meeting where he could view the items in person.

Yeah ... no. Oftentimes I carry, and still no. Just no. I don't need to set myself up for trouble.

Even at the safest place (a Police Station) I'm still ID'd and sized up by someone "out of town" (and his spotter), and from there I could be tracked and/or hi-jacked later.

Paranoid? No. But that contact, out of the blue, screams set-up to me.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

I responded to one of those once for a 70-CC half for a below market price ($3200 for an F12). They wanted me to wire the money to them and I got queasy about the lack of protection on the deal. I wanted more information and asked about insurance and didn't get a response. No deal. However, I was suspicious about the off-eBay arrangement from the beginning, mainly due to the low price for the coin.

Buyer beware!

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not reply and block. My spidey sense and 43 years fighting crime are highly suspect of this contact. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2024 9:48AM

nope, nope and nope ... phishing expedition ... SCAM

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

That violates terms of service. To each their own.

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 1, 2024 10:59AM

I’m in the Midwest. Skip that guy and meet me instead. Lol. We chat on Instagram frequently.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Because of snipping, I have NOTHING to do with eBay. Life is too short to waste your life in their website. When you bid thousands and someone can outbid you for $1, with no recourse, the devil with it. eBay is no fun. Never again.

Respect your opinion on many things numismatic , but cherrypicking off ebay is one of the things I like to do best. Of course, I assume we are playing in different financial ballparks.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Creepy!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file