Home Sports Talk
Options

The official Philadelphia Eagles 2023 thread - road to the Super Bowl

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    That guy looks like Jerry Jones after the Green Bay game.

Also looks like Baker after his prized receivers dropped 5 passes!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2024 8:24PM

Bucs doing their best so far to give the game away. Philly just needs a competent offense. The Bucs are blowing tons of opportunities

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another Philadelphia missed tackle, another Buccaneers touchdown.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Against Philly's piss-poor tackling tonight the Bucs are getting just enough opportunities to put this game away.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

@Basebal21 said:
    Bucs doing their best so far to give the game away. Philly just needs a competent offense. The Bucs are blowing tons of opportunities

But the Eagles are doing a better job at giving the game away.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow I never expected this, TB has a good defense, but............................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

This game just feels like two teams trying to lose it > @BillJones said:

@Basebal21 said:

But the Eagles are doing a better job at giving the game away.

This really just feels like two teams trying to lose it. Philly wont tackle in the secondary and the Bucs drop passes all over. Bucks should probably be up by 30 or more at this point

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2024 8:40PM

The Eagles season

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Booooo !
    @ 4th qr.start

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles season:

• Options

Like I said at the first. Both of these teams are uneven. The only reason why one of them will get to the second round of the playoffs is that they are playing each other.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Philly's secondary has been a disgrace. guys playing like they'd rather be anywhere else

think Sirianni survives this @stevek ?

• Options

@BillJones said:
    The Eagles defensive coordinator does not deserve a ticket home to Philadelphia if they don’t improve.

I will revise that. The whole Eagles’ coaching staff does not deserve a ticket home. This head coach needs to go. He couldn’t inspire a rattle snake to rattle.

• Options

Mayfield throws a mini Hail Mary, and it’s another TD.

The Eagles’ fans are wearing bags now. The Eagles couldn’t beat the Carolina Panthers at this point.

• Options

That should be game with that TD. Someone probably getting fired losing 6 of the last 7.

• Options

@emeraldATV said:
    GOOD LUCK TO THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES.

We can rename the Eagles the Philadelphia Opossums. They have played ‘possum for the last 7 games.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    Philly's secondary has been a disgrace. guys playing like they'd rather be anywhere else

It was a monumental season collapse, that's for sure. I previously explained why I think it happened. We shall see how much Jeff Lurie pins the collapse on Nick Sirianni. My gut feeling tells me that Sirianni will stay, especially considering he almost won the Super Bowl two seasons ago.

• Options

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

It was a monumental season collapse, that's for sure. I previously explained why I think it happened. We shall see how much Jeff Lurie pins the collapse on Nick Sirianni. My gut feeling tells me that Sirianni will stay, especially considering he almost won the Super Bowl two seasons ago.

As an old Phillies fan, the end of this Eagles’ season was like the 1964 Phillies who lost 10 games in a row and blew the pennant. Like Phillies manager, Gene Mauch, Sirianni will come back next season and probably stink up the joint again.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

As an old Phillies fan, the end of this Eagles’ season was like the 1964 Phillies who lost 10 games in a row and blew the pennant. Like Phillies manager, Gene Mauch, Sirianni will come back next season and probably stink up the joint again.

I agree there is correlation in the two events. Tough to tell which one was worse?

Considering the Eagles were the Super Bowl runner-up with high expectations for this season, whereby the 1964 Phillies came out of nowhere, I'd say this Eagles collapse was worse.

• Options

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

I agree there is correlation in the two events. Tough to tell which one was worse?

Considering the Eagles were the Super Bowl runner-up with high expectations for this season, whereby the 1964 Phillies came out of nowhere, I'd say this Eagles collapse was worse.

1-6 in the last 7 of NFL games has to be worse than what happened to the Phillies. MLB teams have a lower winning percentage and the Phillies still had a winning record until 1968 even though it wasnt good enough. The 1966 team very likely makes the playoffs today with 87 wins. Even the 1965 team with 85 wins two teams made the playoffs this year with 84 wins

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2024 11:20PM

I truly am amazed at this collapse. Dallas had a 1 game collapse. Philadelphia had one over weeks. Like Chinese water torture. More brutal for Eagles fans in light of coming off a SB appearance and their 10-1 start.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

1-6 in the last 7 of NFL games has to be worse than what happened to the Phillies. MLB teams have a lower winning percentage and the Phillies still had a winning record until 1968 even though it wasnt good enough. The 1966 team very likely makes the playoffs today with 87 wins. Even the 1965 team with 85 wins two teams made the playoffs this year with 84 wins

Those NL records from the early to mid 1960's are a bit misleading. In 1962 the NL added two expansion teams, the Mets and Colts who could barely play. The other established NL teams ate them alive for the most part which propped up their number of wins for these seasons.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry about your Eagles @stevek

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't sweat it Steve, the Eagles will be back. 👍

• Options

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

The Phillies were the hottest team in baseball at the end of the 1963 season. If you combined that with the first 90+ % of the 1964 season, it would have been heaven for Phillies fans.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    I truly am amazed at this collapse. Dallas had a 1 game collapse. Philadelphia had one over weeks. Like Chinese water torture. More brutal for Eagles fans in light of coming off a SB appearance and their 10-1 start.

Dallas was really not doing that well. They could win at home but two playoff teams, Buffalo and Miami, beat them soundly in road games. Dallas left the door open for the Eagles after they beat the birds in Dallas, but the Eagles were too weak to walk through it via the Cardinals and Giants.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

boy, that was a rough end to the season. they had a much better year than my Patriots though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Dallas was really not doing that well. They could win at home but two playoff teams, Buffalo and Miami, beat them soundly in road games. Dallas left the door open for the Eagles after they beat the birds in Dallas, but the Eagles were too weak to walk through it via the Cardinals and Giants.

Frankly, even though the Eagles were 10-1 at one point, it was a bit of a misleading 10-1. The Eagles had been very lucky in a number of games, and at least some of those games could have gone the other way. So instead of 10-1, their record could have easily been around 6-5 or whatever.

In any event, I'm not trying to whitewash the collapse, it was still a collapse. 🙁

I'll admit, I'm feeling a bit low this morning, a minor state of shock at what happened. But I'll get over it. I have an appointment with a good psychiatrist who specializes in treating losing sports fans. I've been there before. He will talk to me for several minutes, then prescribe a case of Jack Daniels, and send me a bill for $500.

• Options

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reports-all-pro-eagles-c-jason-kelce-to-retire-125543737.html

Reports: All-Pro Eagles C Jason Kelce to retire

As mentioned and predicted earlier in this thread or in another thread.

Great player and no doubt a hall of famer. But his knees were shot and a major reason for the Eagles collapse this season. And I'm not the least bit angry towards him about it. Jason gave it his all.

While yes Nick Foles got hot and led the Eagles to win their only Super Bowl. It was Jason's superb on field management of the offense which enabled Foles to do that. And enabled the Eagles to almost win the Super Bowl last season.

But when I saw an off season video of him walking around his house with the wife and kids, he could barely walk. I'm not saying he looked like Jim Otto, but it reminded me about that. He should have retired then. But of course it's not easy to do when you're a gladiator, and you still think you've got something left.

Well unfortunately he had nothing left during the Eagle's collapse and it was illustrated in the scores.

I wish Jason all the best in a successful retirement. It seems like he enjoys the media and he will probably continue to be an active participant in that, as he already has a popular podcast with his brother.

• Options

I got the impression that Kelce had played his last game by the way he was talking to the fans in the stands after the game.

He had a great career and will be greatly missed.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

Those NL records from the early to mid 1960's are a bit misleading. In 1962 the NL added two expansion teams, the Mets and Colts who could barely play. The other established NL teams ate them alive for the most part which propped up their number of wins for these seasons.

Houston was bad but they were winning 60 games a year, the Mets were just awful. Even with that though it would have been the same advantage to everyone propping up everyones win totals

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to let everyone in on the little secret as to why the Eagles choked away their season, why they crumbled under pressure, why they obviously quit on each other. It was always the elephant in the room... I mean, would you really expect anything less?...

• Options

The worst part of the of the Eagles’ game is the defensive secondary. They can’t cover the receivers, and if a catch is made, they can’t tackle the receiver.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I caught a minute of Siriannis press conference after the loss. I was shocked at how bad he looked. His eyes were sunken and dark, dark bags under them. Looked like he hadn’t slept for 2 months. @stevek is that how he always looks or has this season taken its toll?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    I caught a minute of Siriannis press conference after the loss. I was shocked at how bad he looked. His eyes were sunken and dark, dark bags under them. Looked like he hadn’t slept for 2 months. @stevek is that how he always looks or has this season taken its toll?

I didn't watch that press conference. I still don't feel like watching it at this time.

But normally he is upbeat.