Home Sports Talk

The official Philadelphia Eagles 2023 thread - road to the Super Bowl

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I was wrong about the Eagles this season. I really thought they would end up being a great team. It looks like both of last years SB teams will not be returning this year

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭✭✭

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread may soon be for sale if anyone is interested.

I'll start the preliminary bidding at one grain of sand, free shipping.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just heard the Eagles got Booger Mayfield in Tampa next week, best of luck!

@doubledragon said:
    Just heard the Eagles got Booger Mayfield in Tampa next week, best of luck!

Couldn't hurt.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 7, 2024 7:33PM

The way the Eagles have played at the end of the season, they couldn’t beat Columbia in the Ivy League. And yea, Columbia finished last.

I think Eagles’ to be the “peacock game” that will pay for view. Just as well that I don’t see it. The Eagles are one team the Tampa Bay Bucks can beat.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Be afraid, be very afraid.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

just in case the Eagles tailspin hasn't made your head throb hard enough, here you go.....

they are favored by 2.5 at Tampa

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@galaxy27 said:
    just in case the Eagles tailspin hasn't made your head throb hard enough, here you go.....

I guess the odds makers have missing the Eagles’ since the folded in Seattle.

Tomorrow is the traditional “Black Monday” when NFL coaches get the ax. The Eagles’ coach should be the first one ever fired before he got to coach a play off game.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@galaxy27 said:

Yes, but this game isn't against the Buccaneers. It's against the Tampa Bay Geriatrics football team consisting of players who are over 100 years old and currently in hospice care.

@BillJones said:

@galaxy27 said:

I guess the odds makers have missing the Eagles’ since the folded in Seattle.

Tomorrow is the traditional “Black Monday” when NFL coaches get the ax. The Eagles’ coach should be the first one ever fired before he got to coach a play off game.

"Bounce back" games happen all the time in the NFL and in many other sports. I'm sure that's what the bookies are thinking here.

But this Eagles team has outright collapsed. I think I know the basic reasons for this which I'll express briefly here.

The other coaches have finally figured out Nick Sirianni. Unless you're coaching a team like the 1985 Bears, being too predictable usually means getting beat.

Jason Kelce, the future hall of fame center, and long time leader of the Eagles offense, is on his last legs. I think he may retire after this season, and it's obvious to me that he hasn't been focused during this Eagles collapse. Fear of permanent injury makes cowards of us all, especially those who don't need the money, unless you're an adrenaline rush thrill junkie such as the late Evel Knievel.

Jalen Hurts has been playing with a bad knee. Sure the good old boys in the medicine room, shoot Jalen up before each game with the finest pain killers the NFL will allow. However that doesn't help him psychologically to focus on winning football. An "athletic" QB who is fearful of running is like a wounded cheetah in the wild, it can't catch game any longer and soon starves to death.

I stated this earlier in this thread or another thread. The Super Bowl loser has a long tradition of having an off year the next season for a variety of reasons. Mainly the excessive number of games played the previous season versus the rest of the league, the players are prone to more injuries and not as much off season recuperation time. Plus the depression from losing the biggest game. The extra games doesn't help the winner either as the Chiefs have illustrated this season. But at least the winner is happy about being defending champs. Amazingly, the Eagles seemed to have overcome this with an incredibly good start as far as their won-lost record, but it finally caught up with them.

I got more but I'll stop here before using up all the allotted server space on CU. Besides it's not very much fun analyzing your favorite team as they're falling into the abyss.

Hey, maybe the Eagles will overcome all this and bounce back against the Bucs. We shall see.

@stevek said:

Hey, maybe the Eagles will overcome all this and bounce back against the Bucs. We shall see.

i think the Eagles are going to dig deep and win........i'm going to bet on them

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

i think the Eagles are going to dig deep and win........i'm going to bet on them

I don't ever wanna see anyone here post that Galaxy doesn't have brass stones. 😊

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

@stevek said:

I don't ever wanna see anyone here post that Galaxy doesn't have brass stones. 😊

i actually feel really good about it. the good news for Philly is that the last 6 games matter not now. clean slate for everyone. the guys in that locker room have been getting bitchslapped for an entire month. i don't know about you, but if i got bitchslapped repeatedly like that i'd eventually get to the point where i was out of my mind irate about it. i think you'll see a very pissed off Eagles team going full bore for 4 quarters..............and they're going to beat the Bucs

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I guess I was wrong about the Eagles this season. I really thought they would end up being a great team. It looks like both of last years SB teams will not be returning this year

Always hard to get back. I did not feel confident either one would get back to the SB.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited January 8, 2024 7:21AM

The Tampa team has been very uneven this season. They seemed to finally seemed to have it together until the last two games. Quarterback Baker Mayfield is hurting. If you can shutdown receiver Mike Evens, you are a long way toward shutting down the Bucks offense.

So, yes, ,the Bucks are very beatable. The trouble is the Eagles have not been beating teams like the Giants and Cardinals. The Bucks are better than them.

edited January 8, 2024 6:36AM

The Bucs are what we call in boxing, a "dangerous journeyman", the Eagles will probably win, but a highly motivated and energized Bucs team playing at home could pull it off. Good news for Eagles fans, security chief Dom DiSandro will be back on the sideline. They're 10-1 in games he was with them from start to finish.

had the leave the office for a few and tuned in to the herd while on the road. cowherd said that dan graziano (a reputable journalist) is reporting that sirianni getting the axe is on the table if the Eagles lose to Tampa

he then went on to say that the new hire could potentially be....................................................................................................................................i'm not even gonna say the name

if that happened, and this forum had a head, it would explode

@galaxy27 said:
    had the leave the office for a few and tuned in to the herd while on the road. cowherd said that dan graziano (a reputable journalist) is reporting that sirianni getting the axe is on the table if the Eagles lose to Tampa

he then went on to say that the new hire could potentially be....................................................................................................................................i'm not even gonna say the name

No please don't say the B word. I'm beggin' ya, please!

@galaxy27 said:

If the Eagles lose to Tampa, he DESERVES TO BE FIRED. The Eagles have better players than that.

Having followed Eagles since the mid 1960s. I can say that his job is safe. Over my almost 60 years as an Eagles fan, it takes time to dump a bad coach. Remember Joe Kuheric and Chip Kelly? The management left those clowns around until the time when the team had an embarrassing last place finish.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Odds are very much against the Eagles making it to the SB at this point - there are at least 3 teams - Lions, Niners, 'boys, playing better than them right now. we will see but don't get ones hopes up..........

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

@BillJones said:

@galaxy27 said:

If the Eagles lose to Tampa, he DESERVES TO BE FIRED. The Eagles have better players than that.

Having followed Eagles since the mid 1960s. I can say that his job is safe. Over my almost 60 years as an Eagles fan, it takes time to dump a bad coach. Remember Joe Kuheric and Chip Kelly? The management left those clowns around until the time when the team had an embarrassing last place finish.

Quite a significant end of year collapse. However i would agree that Sirianni very likely won't be fired if the Eagles lose to the Bucs. He will be the Eagles opening day head coach in the Fall.

One thing for sure, Bill Belichick isn't coming to Philly, not a snowball's chance when ya understand the football coach hiring pattern of Jeff Lurie over the years.

@spacehayduke said:
    Odds are very much against the Eagles making it to the SB at this point - there are at least 3 teams - Lions, Niners, 'boys, playing better than them right now. we will see but don't get ones hopes up..........

Depends a lot on how Hurts and Kelce are healed up. That's the unknown factor.

Would be nice to get a win against the Bucs. But moving forward if the Eagles win that game, they could be a double digit dog in some of the upcoming games.

If he was let go would this be one of the shortest tenures after a Super Bowl appearance. Can't recall anyone who was let go 1 year after a SB appearance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    If he was let go would this be one of the shortest tenures after a Super Bowl appearance. Can't recall anyone who was let go 1 year after a SB appearance.

Jimmy Johnson was let go after winning a Super Bowl, in fact two in a row. But of course that was only because of a severe personality clash between him and the owner.

I'm just hoping the Eagles win this game and fans such as me don't have to think about any negative consequences.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way Baker Mayfield beats Philly

Philly won't go far but they will get past the Bucs

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure what the problem is with Philly. I do know that AJ Brown failed to show up to practice and deleted all references to Philly on his X account.
    This is the playoffs and it only takes one play, one good quarter, one good half, one good game to right a ship with a team with this much talent.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Jimmy Johnson was let go after winning a Super Bowl, in fact two in a row. But of course that was only because of a severe personality clash between him and the owner.

I'm just hoping the Eagles win this game and fans such as me don't have to think about any negative consequences.

Thanks for the memory jog. See what you have to look forward to? :)

edited January 13, 2024 10:17AM

@2dueces said:

I’m not sure what the problem is with Philly.

people are commenting on the offense, but it's the defense that has been historically bad during this 6 game stretch. to wit: i watched the entire Eagles-Cardinals game. you know, the one where AZ had nothing to play for and Philly had EVERYTHING to play for? AT HOME, no less?

but before i get to that, do me a favor. name one Arizona receiver not named Hollywood Brown. can you? and by 'you' i mean anyone reading this. and the reason you can't choose HB is because he didn't play in that game. again, can you?

now that we've established that, allow this to marinate. are you ready? read the following slowly and take into consideration everything i said up above:

Arizona did not punt one time that entire game. Arizona scored 29 points in the second half.

we're talking about a team in Philadelphia that went from a Super Bowl appearance to ostensibly not having one single guy on the defensive side of the ball who can make a play.

i think the Eagles are going to find a way to win on Monday, but i'm not going to lie, their defense absolutely, positively scares the living crap out of me. like every time Tampa takes a snap on offense i'm going to cringe that a big play is about to happen.

@galaxy27 said:

@2dueces said:

I’m not sure what the problem is with Philly.

people are commenting on the offense, but it's the defense that has been historically bad during this 6 game stretch. to wit: i watched the entire Eagles-Cardinals game. you know, the one where AZ had nothing to play for and Philly had EVERYTHING to play for? AT HOME, no less?

but before i get to that, do me a favor. name one Arizona receiver not named Hollywood Brown. can you? and by 'you' i mean anyone reading this. and the reason you can't choose HB is because he didn't play in that game. again, can you?

now that we've established that, allow this to marinate. are you ready? read the following slowly and take into consideration everything i said up above:

Arizona did not punt one time that entire game. Arizona scored 29 points in the second half.

we're talking about a team in Philadelphia that went from a Super Bowl appearance to ostensibly not having one single guy on the defensive side of the ball who can make a play.

i think the Eagles are going to find a way to win on Monday, but i'm not going to lie, their defense absolutely, positively scares the living crap out of me. like every time Tampa takes a snap on offense i'm going to cringe that a big play is about to happen.

I'm hoping for a mild Florida hurricane at game time to make it windy so the Bucs receivers may be less effective. I'd even take a snowstorm, but probably the last snowstorm in Tampa was during the ice age. 🤔

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

GOOD LUCK TO THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES.

All of the ABC TV analysts are picking Tampa Bay. The Eagles a pride incentive. Maybe that will get them out of their funk.

@emeraldATV said:

Just came back from the supermarket. Got two pounds of cooked shrimp, cocktail sauce, and other assorted goodies. Plus earlier in the day, picked up an extra large bottle of nitroglycerin pills. So I'm ready to go. 😊

@emeraldATV said:

That guy looks like Jerry Jones after the Green Bay game.

I am both an Eagles and Bucks fan with a lean toward the Eagles.

Sorry Eagles guys, but the Eagles secondary plays like they are in a flag football league. These guys have been awful so far.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭✭

Eagles look awful so far. Bucks ended up scoring a TD on one of them, but the Bucs have dropped two TDs so far

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh boy, this is not looking good for Phi right now. 13-0

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

The Eagles defensive coordinator does not deserve a ticket home to Philadelphia if they don’t improve.

Excellent special showing right now on the House & Garden channel titled, "The Proper Way to Grow Petunias."

For years I've been wondering about how best to do this. Spoiler alert, soil tilling is the key.

Coming up afterwards, "The most effective way to spray for aphids."

That one I'm most looking forward to viewing.

@BillJones said:
    The Eagles defensive coordinator does not deserve a ticket home to Philadelphia if they don’t improve.

I dunno if you can entirely blame him for the defense. The change was weird, but their corners just seem like they dont want to be there or want to tackle. Between AJ Brown deleting all his Philly things on social media and the effort some guys are giving it seems like they just hate each other and want the season over

Philly can still easily win this game. Tampa isnt taking advantage as much as they should be

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Another good one coming up on the Discovery Channel.

"How the Phillips screwdriver was invented."

Sirianni you dumb arze. Unbelievably stupid call going for 2 considering the way this game is being played out.

This type of chit irritates the living yell out of me. 😒

@stevek said:
    Sirianni you dumb arze. Unbelievably stupid call going for 2 considering the way this game is being played out.

Analytics say to go for 2 every time from the 1

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

Coaches get fired looking at those stinking charts without understanding the feel of the game being played.

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

Coaches get fired looking at those stinking charts without understanding the feel of the game being played.

I agree it is a problem, but they get fired more for not following the front office analytics. Really if you cant get a yard you dont deserve it but Tampa is probably going to blow the game. Theyre dropping way to many passes

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Why the timeouts? Just go into the locker room down by a touchdown. Hurts could throw a pic down deep there, and then the game might be more out of reach if Tampa scores.

I just can't stand poorly coached football. 😖

Hey go ahead. J'll be happy to stand corrected.

No fumbles!!!

Pathetic!

The best Philadelphia defense has been a couple Tampa Bay drops.