@bidask said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bidask said:
    I’m glad world coins don’t have sticker issues

It’s old fashioned

Wings

Lance Tichor is good at grading but his grading service is no longer

Never really caught on

I will say in my own experience PCGS is generally more strict .

Do not know who is involved, or about operational continuity, but it appears that WINGS is currently open for business. Link

Edited for content.

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    remumcremumc Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭

Since October 30, I've moved up from # 145 to # 141. Not looking good for my getting membership this year. At this rate, probably July of 2024!

Regards,

Wayne

www.waynedriskillminiatures.com
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@remumc said:
    Since October 30, I've moved up from # 145 to # 141. Not looking good for my getting membership this year. At this rate, probably July of 2024!

I think you need to consider the actual workflow involved in moving up. Let's say they sent 100 invites out today. You would probably still be #141. There is a time delay in clearing names if they wait for responses.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2023 9:51AM

@remumc said:

Do you feel that’s a level playing field? I have wondered why they don’t do immediate (paid) memberships like our hosts or other TPG’s. From an acctg view it looks to me they are missing out on new revenue and business growth. In one month you have moved 4 slots. At that rate it will be what 3 years?

I looked at their stuff on one major dealer on eBay. I took an audit sample of their CACG matl vs the CAC CPG (their ask / CAC CPG). The result was 1.65. There is no doubt the CACG material getting that at auction (or more, high demand) - but for how long? Lost a number of them lol. What say ye? Have picked up a couple CACG at around .95 CAC CPG from various ebay sellers shopping around. As soon as I looked at them got offer at reduced price.

A question many asking: will the CACG material be valued higher (CDN) than the stickered CAC material? Time will tell. What’s your view?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@remumc said:

I think you need to consider the actual workflow involved in moving up. Let's say they sent 100 invites out today. You would probably still be #141. There is a time delay in clearing names if they wait for responses.

Depends how they do it. If I were running things, I'd send out the invite and cross people off the list. I'm not going to follow up if they don't respond - too much overhead.

@Cougar1978 said:

@remumc said:

Do you feel that’s a level playing field? I have wondered why they don’t do immediate (paid) memberships like our hosts or other TPG’s. From an acctg view it looks to me they are missing out on new revenue and business growth. In one month you have moved 4 slots. At that rate it will be what 3 years?

I question how much revenue PCGS and NGC really derive from memberships. Memberships are essentially free if you back out the free subs you get with a submission (except for Silver). From what I have seen there are approximately 300 people on the waiting list for CAC although it may have grown since I last saw numbers. That would represent a whopping $15k of membership revenue with a $50 membership fee. The stated reason is capacity. I don't think this small amount of revenue moves the needle.

If I had to guess, I think they'll move slow at first and then start adding faster. Adding dealers will significantly add to volume, but I imagine most collectors will submit 40 coins/year on average at most. Once they get a feel for what the "pent up demand" is I think they'll feel more comfortable opening the flood gates. I also don't think there is a lot of pent up demand as most collectors one the list probably submit through friends or shops instead of directly so most probably isn't even new demand. It's hard to say though how many dealers are waiting.

A question many asking: will the CACG material be valued higher (CDN) than the stickered CAC material? Time will tell. What’s your view?

2 grade opinions should be more valuable than one.

• Options

I don't understand the need for additional third party review on any coins. When I have decided to sell a CAC stickered coin on eBay or to my local dealer, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I do have a few CAC stickered coins, purchased that way, not sent in for a sticker. If the PCGS value for a 1933s AU58 Walker is $750 (as an example) how much would anyone spend over that because of a sticker? $100, $200 or more? I have an 1927p Peace dollar MS63 with a "W" sticker on it, what's the premium over the MS 63 grade for the "W" sticker? I understand that PCGS will get grades wrong at times but would asking for a reconsideration be a better way to proceed? As long as my vision stays reasonably sharp, I will always buy the coin and not the holder.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bidask said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bidask said:
    I’m glad world coins don’t have sticker issues

It’s old fashioned

Wings

Lance Tichor is good at grading but his grading service is no longer

Never really caught on

I will say in my own experience PCGS is generally more strict .

STRICT .....yeesssss.... STRICT !!! o:)
    The game du jour is ...STRICT !!!
    EVERYONE is screaming for .... strict ...
    Not that it's a ...grade CHANGE.... oh no ...... it is just making grading TOUGHER ...yay, tough! B)

That's a great thing! The only risk is finding an even TOUGHER grade service to supercede the NEW "toughie in town." :D

In which case yet another stampede of crackers will find satisfaction.

and
    et
    cetera

• Options

@skamieniecki said:
    I don't understand the need for additional third party review on any coins. When I have decided to sell a CAC stickered coin on eBay or to my local dealer, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I do have a few CAC stickered coins, purchased that way, not sent in for a sticker. If the PCGS value for a 1933s AU58 Walker is $750 (as an example) how much would anyone spend over that because of a sticker? $100, $200 or more? I have an 1927p Peace dollar MS63 with a "W" sticker on it, what's the premium over the MS 63 grade for the "W" sticker? I understand that PCGS will get grades wrong at times but would asking for a reconsideration be a better way to proceed? As long as my vision stays reasonably sharp, I will always buy the coin and not the holder.

I don't know why you haven't received better prices on your CAC material, but as a regular seller on ebay, it is night and day what prices the CAC material will bring, how fast it sells, and how many views the coins get. Collectors will really pay for that sticker. The W sticker, not so much.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skamieniecki said:

I pay more as a dealer for CAC.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skamieniecki , it sounds like you've been selling to the wrong people. See @jmlanzaf 's reply above, coupled with the actual real world experience of most of us.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to CAC (stickering) tomorrow/ Tuesday. I was told that they were essentially closed Wednesday and Friday this week in addition to Thanksgiving Day. So a bad week to expect a major move in the waitlist.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like I was approved. I just went to the CAC website and I checked in my profile and found a submitter agreement which I approved and it gave me a CACG member number. So the references weren’t a big deal. I used Deplorable Dan, Great Collections and Eye Appealing Coins without naming an actual person for the GC and Eye Appealing Coins.

Look out, I’m a bigshot now 😎

Mr_Spud

• Options

• Options

I’m watching everyone’s 6 @ #497. Oh well, the coins aren’t going anywhere.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what CACG is doing is smart. If they were just to open the flood gates I believe people would be complaining about return wait times.
    They are pacing themselves with an upward trend. That's the best way to do it.
    Once they have a complete staff that is comfortable with grading at a faster pace with consistent grading standards, they will then slowly open the flood gates and have consistent wait times.
    If they let everyone sign up and join it could be and I'm just throwing out a guess but 6 months or more before the coins are returned to their owners.
    As it is I think wait times will be an issue in the future.
    That remains to be seen.
    Another thing I find disturbing is all the grading "standards" changing. What was wrong with standards a year ago?
    I'm not submitting anything until this all gets squared away.
    I do think CACG is good for the hobby and I wish them luck.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 28, 2023 5:27PM

Raw coin collectors of the World Unite!

Overthrow the tyranny of bourgeoisie TPG grading!

(PCGS moderator to self: "To the dungeon for 2 weeks")

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@winesteven said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    What is their reason for not expanding infrastructure to accommodate demand?

The graders at CAC stickering in New Jersey and CACG grading in Virginia cannot be found at a “dime a dozen”. It takes people with a VERY special talent, with a very special personality, with an acceptance of very special working conditions to be a grader at the TPG’s.

Have you asked on these forums why our host is not expanding infrastructure to accommodate demand, since for $40 regular grading the turnaround time is roughly eight weeks? Why not? The answer is the same!

CACG apparently made a business decision to keep turnaround time short. That’s why they’re currently running around a week or so, not counting mailing time. I think that’s great, and is another example of being collector friendly. It’s also tremendously beneficial to dealers, who don’t have to have inventory tied up long during the grading process! I believe as a dealer you should understand that.

I’m a BIG fan of PCGS, as 100% of my coins are in their holders. To me and most others, quality of results is of utmost importance! I would hope you feel the same way! PCGS, NGC, CAC and CACG all recognize that, and that’s why they will not expand infrastructure if it results in diminished quality!!!!

Steve

How can a company be described as "collector friendly" when a serious collector cannot join and hasn't been able to join for several years?

Did you put your name on the waiting list. It looks like some are getting in after being on the list for 6-12 months.

• Options

I was discouraged by the line. I believe I did sign up, though. I haven't been over there in a long time since I sent them photos of several coins that I felt were improperly stickered. I wasn't difficult, I just wanted to understand their standards because they differ from mine. The communication was fine but fell apart, mainly due to my sporadic visits to their board. In the meantime, I've kept my eyes open, asked others questions, looked at a lot of graded coins, and try to understand grading better.

I'll go check now. Then shut up.

Great. My local CAC dealer for CAC submission is well-known scumbag/dealer. Been discussed here. Avoid.

I go to CAC and I forgot my password. I apply for a new password and they say they sent me an email with instructions. They have my email address. No email.
    Tried three times.
    No luck.

• Options

@Barberian said:

@winesteven said:

@Cougar1978 said:

The graders at CAC stickering in New Jersey and CACG grading in Virginia cannot be found at a “dime a dozen”. It takes people with a VERY special talent, with a very special personality, with an acceptance of very special working conditions to be a grader at the TPG’s.

Have you asked on these forums why our host is not expanding infrastructure to accommodate demand, since for $40 regular grading the turnaround time is roughly eight weeks? Why not? The answer is the same!

CACG apparently made a business decision to keep turnaround time short. That’s why they’re currently running around a week or so, not counting mailing time. I think that’s great, and is another example of being collector friendly. It’s also tremendously beneficial to dealers, who don’t have to have inventory tied up long during the grading process! I believe as a dealer you should understand that.

I’m a BIG fan of PCGS, as 100% of my coins are in their holders. To me and most others, quality of results is of utmost importance! I would hope you feel the same way! PCGS, NGC, CAC and CACG all recognize that, and that’s why they will not expand infrastructure if it results in diminished quality!!!!

Steve

How can a company be described as "collector friendly" when a serious collector cannot join and hasn't been able to join for several years?

Things you say may be in error. I see above statements from others that clearly contradict your understanding.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options

@lermish said:
    I joined the waiting list on 12/14/22. Once published, I was originally number 116, then moved to 114, and have been 96 for the last 2-3 weeks.

I received an email at 7:11a PST today with an application form. I returned the form at 8:01a PST and received an email that I was granted membership at 10:42a. The submitter portal worked immediately and I dropped off my first submission at the post office this afternoon.

@lermish
    That’s excellent to hear

• Options
    edited November 28, 2023 9:38PM

@winesteven said:

@Barberian said:

@winesteven said:

@Cougar1978 said:

Steve

Things you say may be in error. I see above statements from others that clearly contradict your understanding.

Steve

I'm now exploring whether I need to eat my words. If only they would send me an email they promised to change my password.

I just found out who my CAC submission portal dealer is. LOL! A notorious crooked dealer in these parts who's been discussed here.

Here comes the ban-hammer. Calling it a night.

• Options

@skamieniecki said:

That way you don't miss gorgeous coins that are slightly overgraded because they're so nice. That's a lot of coins.

• Options
    edited November 28, 2023 9:49PM

In all seriousness @Barberian, don’t give up.

1. You’ve been mentioning a “CAC Submission Portal Dealer”. I may be misunderstanding, but once you get approved as a member, you can then submit coins DIRECTLY to CAC stickering in NJ, or to CACG grading in Virginia Beach. There’s no need to submit through a dealer.
    2. Until you become a member, you can submit coins through ANY dealer that is a member. It’s not like you’re “assigned” to a specific dealer to submit your coins on your behalf.
    3. Regarding your password issue, I suggest having patience, and calling them again, describing your problem. Try to get the issue resolved while they’re on the phone with you.

Good luck!

Steve

• Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

"That way you don't miss gorgeous coins that are slightly overgraded because they're so nice. That's a lot of coins."

VG10/CAC

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    I go to CAC and I forgot my password. I apply for a new password and they say they sent me an email with instructions. They have my email address. No email.
    Tried three times.
    No luck.

Try checking your spam filters. Sometimes there are multiple layers. I've found I need to login to webmail and check THAT spam folder, vs. the local one on my desktop/phone.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@Barberian said:
    Tried three times.
    No luck.

Try checking your spam filters. Sometimes there are multiple layers. I've found I need to login to webmail and check THAT spam folder, vs. the local one on my desktop/phone.

I did check.

• Options

I'm now # 111.

Regards,

Wayne

• Options

Progress

• Options

So how much higher level stuff is there left to grade?

PCGS and NGC junked themselves up with current releases. Guessing 80% of their business is spitting out green monster boxes.

If CAC avoids falling into that trap, is there really that much older raw coinage out there to justify their existence? Is there that much NGC/PCGS stuff to regrade?

• Options

@Custerlost said:
    So how much higher level stuff is there left to grade?

PCGS and NGC junked themselves up with current releases. Guessing 80% of their business is spitting out green monster boxes.

If CAC avoids falling into that trap, is there really that much older raw coinage out there to justify their existence? Is there that much NGC/PCGS stuff to regrade?

It is not a "trap" for a business to follow the market and follow the money. The "classic" coinage is by it definition limited in quantity and raw classic coins worth grading are a diminishing population. Not even CACG will be able to avoid being a slave to grading modern coinage for the bulk of its revenue if they hope to remain profitable.

• Options

Also
    Of note Joanne did tell me most people are not taking their phone calls. She was surprised when I told her my caller ID on my VZW IPhone showed: “PEAPACK AND GLADSTONE BOROUGH, NJ”…she asked, “It doesn’t show CAC?”

Speculating this may be why some do not answer.

• Options

My position improved by 30 today.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:
    Just a note re CAC/CACG's turnaround time

CAC Sticker (Economy)- Received 11/30, Returned 12/5
    CAC Grading (Economy Crossover)- Received 12/1, Returned 12/6

Granted, they are not fully open to 100% o the public yet but that is some pretty stellar turnaround. Still waiting on the imaging for the CACG, curious to see how that turns out.

Any updates on your photos?

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@lermish said:
    Just a note re CAC/CACG's turnaround time

CAC Sticker (Economy)- Received 11/30, Returned 12/5
    CAC Grading (Economy Crossover)- Received 12/1, Returned 12/6

Granted, they are not fully open to 100% o the public yet but that is some pretty stellar turnaround. Still waiting on the imaging for the CACG, curious to see how that turns out.

Any updates on your photos?

In slabs are very good. The "Trueview" leaves a little to be desired...the color has a bit of yellow shift although not as bad as some recent TVs. I have heard various theories but I don't understand why the take the pictures already in the gasket as the tabs are distracting.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 11, 2023 10:31AM

Encouraging!
    I’ve gone from 293 on October 30th, to 218 today. Even though I’m still pretty far down the line, it’s a significant percentage move in the right direction. 🙂

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    edited December 11, 2023 12:10PM

Absolutely

• Options

I received a telephone call from Monica on Friday & am mailing in my application today!

Regards,

Wayne

• Options

@remumc said:
    I received a telephone call from Monica on Friday & am mailing in my application today!

What was your number (when you first got on the list)?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file