Home U.S. Coin Forum

CAC sticker service: update

Comments

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 14, 2023 7:52AM

I’ve moved up 3 spots since @johnny010 called on Oct 31st. At this rate, (checks calendar) I only have to wait two more years!!

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well not what I expected. Will try and call Yvonne again tomorrow.

Called CAC
    I questioned what was previously communicated to me above. All replies were vague except the following, “…don’t worry, we had an internal meeting and we decided we want to get more people in. We now have three people working the wait list. It just takes time. We have to call and email people a lot of times then have to wait for a reply….” Apparently they go one at a time before going to the next person.

I did mentioned that I was previously told I’d be in his year and she said she “didn’t know about that but at least you’re on the list.”

I mentioned at this rate it’s going to take two years and she said no they are about to start emailing and calling to get more people in.

I did not speak to Yvonne but this lady was nice enough. Just have to wait and see.
    It does seem their process for getting people in could use some adjustments.

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:
    Called CAC
    I questioned what was previously communicated to me above. All replies were vague except the following, “…don’t worry, we had an internal meeting and we decided we want to get more people in. We now have three people working the wait list. It just takes time. We have to call and email people a lot of times then have to wait for a reply….” Apparently they go one at a time before going to the next person.

I did mentioned that I was previously told I’d be in his year and she said she “didn’t know about that but at least you’re on the list.”

I mentioned at this rate it’s going to take two years and she said no they are about to start emailing and calling to get more people in.

I did not speak to Yvonne but this lady was nice enough. Just have to wait and see.
    It does seem their process for getting people in could use some adjustments.

Thanks for calling and sharing!

• psuman08psuman08 Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

10/31 I was #311. I am up to #304 today.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was #11 on the list on October 28 and I just now checked today and I’m still #11

Mr_Spud

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    What is their reason for not expanding infrastructure to accommodate demand?

The focus and resources went into CACG. They are scaling things up now (in both the stickering and grading businesses), albeit not nearly as quickly as some would like. My last stickering submission was received on 10/18 and shipped 10/26.

They aren't scaling the stickering; There is no scaling. It's JA and his handpicked team of graders, and that's it. CAC stickering quality graders don't grow on trees. You're basically looking for Vintage US finalizers and those guys get PAID because their talent is exceptional and they are generally integral to the operations they are a part of.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

@Mr_Spud said:
    I was #11 on the list on October 28 and I just now checked today and I’m still #11

Shouldn’t we all move down in position at the same rate?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@Mr_Spud said:

Not if the people leaving the list aren't above you. Do we know that #77 didn't get bumped from the list rather than #1 getting a membership?

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnny010 said:

@Mr_Spud said:

Not if the people leaving the list aren't above you. Do we know that #77 didn't get bumped from the list rather than #1 getting a membership?

Or more likely culled as being a duplicate or invalid entry?

Agree Proof… much less likely people are leaving the wait list.

A list that moves due to duplication isn’t a list that’s being worked diligently for sure.

I just now got a phone message from CAC that said they are emailing me the submission application form. They wanted to verify my email address. Since I didn’t recognize the phone number I didn’t answer, but they had the email address right and it said to call back if it was incorrect, so I guess I’m going to be getting an email

Mr_Spud

Yep, I got the email with the form I’m supposed to fill out

Mr_Spud

LOL, I love the people who send an email and then call to tell you they sent you an email.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like movement for those waiting.

Many happy BST transactions

@MFeld said:

@ProofCollection said:
    LOL, I love the people who send an email and then call to tell you they sent you an email.

Instead of laughing, I’d appreciate their extra effort and thoroughness.

As one who appreciates efficiency, I eschew the redundancy, even if it is thorough.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

I think is redundant but that's only my opinion. However the extra effort does say something about good customer service.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW

@Morgan13 said:

@ProofCollection said:

I think is redundant but that's only my opinion. However the extra effort does say something about good customer service.

I would rather have them process my order faster than over-communicate.

The CAC submitter application wants me to list 3 Numismatic references. They want their name, company, relationship and phone number. Does anybody here want to volunteer to be one of my references? If so, please send me the above info by private message.

Thanks, in advance, to anybody that volunteers

Mr_Spud

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:
    The CAC submitter application wants me to list 3 Numismatic references. They want their name, company, relationship and phone number. Does anybody here want to volunteer to be one of my references? If so, please send me the above info by private message.

Can't you use your accounts with, GC, Heritage, S&B, ect?

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:

Who do buy you coins from? Heritage? Stacks? GC? Online/well known dealers?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited November 16, 2023 5:43PM

@DeplorableDan said:

@Mr_Spud said:

LOL Dan, I beat you by 2 minutes............. :)

edited November 16, 2023 5:56PM

@alaura22 said:

@DeplorableDan said:

I suppose I could try that, only I just order/purchase the coins from them but I’m not sure what their name and phone number is for the bigger organizations I order from and not sure how to ask them. But if I don’t get any responses I’ll end up trying them. I don’t have any regular “go-to” dealers that I use all the time though or any that I have help me find coins.

I tend to search by myself and purchase as anonymous as possible with cash at Coin Shows. On eBay I’m pretty much anonymous and I’m just a name for the companies I order from online.

Back east I used to know a bunch of dealers personally, and hung out with them, but since I moved to California in 2005 I’ve been a loner in Numismatics for the most part.

Mr_Spud

@alaura22 said:

@Mr_Spud said:

Would that work? I'm kind of in the same boat as Mr_Spud although I do have a few relationships but some of them are vest pocket dealers I don't know if they "count." Is CAC really going to follow up and contact any of them?

I guess as an example I could probably put down Ian's name at GC and if they called him he would look in the database and see all of my purchases, so that is a reference I wouldn't have thought of to use. Wouldn't know who to put down for Heritage or Stacks though.

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnny010 said:

@Mr_Spud said:

Isn't that what "bumped" > @ProofCollection said:

@Morgan13 said:

@ProofCollection said:

And if you had changed email addresses and never got the application, you'd be mad that they didn't call.

@Mr_Spud said:

Tim, just give them the names of the auction companies, there address, phone numbers and if you want your account name. That should be fine, if not they will let you know.
    I really don't know why they need this info, it's not like they are a auction house or your applying for a loan, I don't get it.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

That's not as nutso as it sounds. In InfoSec we tell people to ignore unsolicited and unexpected email and NEVER click on a link.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
    edited November 16, 2023 7:32PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@ProofCollection said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnny010 said:

@Mr_Spud said:

Isn't that what "bumped" > @ProofCollection said:

@Morgan13 said:

@ProofCollection said:

And if you had changed email addresses and never got the application, you'd be mad that they didn't call.

No I wouldn't. I would own it. That's my bad.

@BStrauss3 said:

@ProofCollection said:

That's not as nutso as it sounds. In InfoSec we tell people to ignore unsolicited and unexpected email and NEVER click on a link.

The email wouldn't be unsolicited if you signed up would it?

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

They want to know your check for grading fees won't bounce and that you are not dealing with stolen coins.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you rather pay a membership fee instead of answering these questions? I don't understand the angst.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
    edited November 17, 2023 7:33AM

@ProofCollection said:

That's a very fine line. If somebody were to spoof our hosts with an email from pϛgs.com and you didn't look closely, you might think "Oh, PCGS, that's fine" and click...

For a similar reason you never call your credit card company on the number they give you in email or an unsolicited call, you start from the number printed on the card.

If somebody calls you "from the insurance company", you call them back on the number on your card. It's easy to spoof the caller ID.

Now if somebody calls "from the doctor's office" and they can provide you with non-public information, it's probably OK. "Hi, this is Jenny, a nurse at Doctor Feel-Goods office calling to follow up on yesterday's visit, were you able to fill the prescription for <medication you've never taken>? And do you have any questions about it?"

-----Burton

@BStrauss3 said:

@ProofCollection said:

That's a very fine line. If somebody were to spoof our hosts with an email from pϛgs.com and you didn't look closely, you might think "Oh, PCGS, that's fine" and click...

For a similar reason you never call your credit card company on the number they give you in email or an unsolicited call, you start from the number printed on the card.

If somebody calls you "from the insurance company", you call them back on the number on your card. It's easy to spoof the caller ID.

Now if somebody calls "from the doctor's office" and they can provide you with non-public information, it's probably OK. "Hi, this is Jenny, a nurse at Doctor Feel-Goods office calling to follow up on yesterday's visit, were you able to fill the prescription for <medication you've never taken>? And do you have any questions about it?"

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm not sure any of us are worried about phishing attempts using CAC memberships as the bait.

The question was rhetorical. If we requested to be on the CAC waitlist and we get an email from CAC, it's not unsolicited.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

@alaura22 said:

@Mr_Spud said:

Would that work? I'm kind of in the same boat as Mr_Spud although I do have a few relationships but some of them are vest pocket dealers I don't know if they "count." Is CAC really going to follow up and contact any of them?

I guess as an example I could probably put down Ian's name at GC and if they called him he would look in the database and see all of my purchases, so that is a reference I wouldn't have thought of to use. Wouldn't know who to put down for Heritage or Stacks though.

You, @Mr_Spud and others wouldn’t need to provide a specific name at Heritage. It would be easy for our credit department or various individuals to confirm business that has been transacted.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way they invoiced collectors had to be an accounting nightmare. Can't find my approval date but my first submission was Mon, Mar 24, 2014, at that time I was getting coin inventory emails from Brandon, Mark Feld and Teletrade!

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m glad world coins don’t have sticker issues

It’s old fashioned

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sitting at 216 this week. Not really sure this wait is worth the wait. I might never be #1 at this rate.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

@JWP said:
    I'm sitting at 216 this week. Not really sure this wait is worth the wait. I might never be #1 at this rate.

I'm hopeful that they will ramp up this process substantially. I can't image that after letting in, for example, 10 new members that they are deluged with volumes of coins immediately. I suspect most people on the list are ready with 20-40 coins to submit in the next few months after getting in and I can't imagine this is a huge impact to operations and they can speed this up. Especially if they admit collectors vs dealers. One can hope anyway.

@ProofCollection said:
    I'm not sure any of us are worried about phishing attempts using CAC memberships as the bait.

I think you should be. You are self-selecting as an HVT.

It's called Typosquatting: https://upguard.medium.com/what-is-typosquatting-8935f233f037 - alternate language letters is a 9th type that's emerged since 2019.

The question was rhetorical. If we requested to be on the CAC waitlist and we get an email from CAC, it's not unsolicited.

Your email address is listed in your profile. "Welcome to CAC, please download the submission form, but send your coins to for special handling as a new member."

-----Burton

I just got a fake email from Amazon saying an order of mine was cancelled and to click on a link to go to Amazon to reorder it. It had an actual item I had ordered listed. But instead of clicking on the link I went to the Amazon site and checked my order and it had never been cancelled. They are getting trickier.

Mr_Spud

@bidask said:

It’s old fashioned

Wings

• bidaskbidask Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@bidask said:

It’s old fashioned

Wings

Lance Tichor is good at grading but his grading service is no longer

Never really caught on

I will say in my own experience PCGS is generally more strict .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file