Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Guess the grade and comments on my quarter. Please.

1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is in a OGH also.

Have a good day, Gary

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

The image is awfully dark and/or difficult to interpret. Is there glare across the slab causing the uneven color? What is the luster like under the outermost surfaces? Given what we have here now, I will hedge with AU53/55.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough to judge, I'm in the XF45 camp from the images.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! Hate to go against the expert(s), but I'll say 45.

Tom

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m thinking it’s a 50

Mr_Spud

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 12:03PM

I’ll go with AU53.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2023 12:25PM

I want to go with AU 50-53, though the subdued luster under the darkness of age makes me think XF 45. Is it possible restoration could up the grade ? Or do graders see beneath ?

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m seeing AU level details but if the luster is subdued and it was graded conservatively in the OGH era, I’d guess an XF 45

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool - Hey an older one - Draped. I like the die crack at date into Liberty. I see some that the crack continues to the top. Also some rim cuds on upper reverse. So I guess this one is mid-die state maybe.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF/AU, tough call. I'll go with 45

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

my first thought is AU53.

I think that by stating "OGH" the guesses may be skewed a little, but "OGH" covers quite a large date range from December of 1989-November of 1998.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going by that photo, I would say environmental damage. The right side of obverse and entire reverse looks dull and crusty.

I don't how you can grade something "AU" that has no luster. This quarter is graded AU-55, and it's got 80 to 90 percent of its luster with some P-L surface on the reverse. The relief on this coin is quite low, and it's a bear to photograph.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. Crusty and original....not dipped or cleaned. AU53.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1946Hamm said:

According to the PCGS census there is only one 45 and this must be it and only 6 better 2-50's, 2- 58's, and 2 in 62. None >higher.

So on the pcgs population for the Browning 9 or coin number 38395 (coinfacts page link below), those are the B-9 that are slabbed as a B-9 or the coin number 38395. This requires a variety attribution fee. Looking on that coinfacts page for the grade 45 I selected the last auction at HA. The link is below and it has the XF45 with the coin number 38395 (cert number 28453018 which is still active).

There will be other B-9 slabbed but not with the variety identified on the holder. This is the case for the OP coin. I am not even sure pcgs was doing the variety attribution for this coin when that OGH was slabbed (maybe). You can go to the coinfacts page for the basic 1806 or coin number 5314 and see in the Images other B-9, with the die crack (link below). It looks like the second image a 64+ has the die crack for the B-9 but is pcgs # 5314 and not in the B-9 variety page. Note: some images on this page are certified with the variety, just check the pcgs number.

Hope this helps to explain the potential issues with the variety and populations.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1806-25c-b-9/38935

https://coins.ha.com/itm/early-quarters/1806-25c-xf45-pcgs-b-9-r1/a/1201-4120.s?hdnJumpToLot=1&x=0&y=0

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1806-25c/images/5314

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picture is dark, which is difficult, but looks like it could be an AU. I think the reverse is wonderful, and I would probably need to see the obverse in hand.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is what an un-messed with coin usually looks like. Love the obverse die crack.
    With the subdued luster it is XF all day, but a real nice collectors coin. Would love to own it.

Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

Un-messed with, great surfaces and nice detail, I agree with the XF-45 assessment, and would be super-proud to own a coin like that. :smile:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file