Home Sports Talk
Options

Cool game to play to test your baseball knowledge

Comments

• Options

Definitely some challenging squares today. I thought I did all right though.

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

Wait a minute. Are you saying you got a player who played for SD and the Sox but not a 20 game winner for Houston ? That's wild, you definitely dug deep for that one. But the Houston 20 game winner is a pretty easy one IMO. Either way, nice board brother !

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options

@76collector said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

Wait a minute. Are you saying you got a player who played for SD and the Sox but not a 20 game winner for Houston ? That's wild, you definitely dug deep for that one. But the Houston 20 game winner is a pretty easy one IMO. Either way, nice board brother !

Jeff

Thanks! What happened is I tried that Houston 20-game winner one first, and it was wrong. I decided to leave it while trying to think of someone other than Verlander, but by the time I got back to it, I was out of guesses. 😂 Are there any other obvious ones I missed for that box?

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Football:

Gary Anderson...you should have told me that one this morning... :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Football:

Gary Anderson...you should have told me that one this morning... :)

I can never forget good old Gary Anderson... doesn't miss a kick all year in 1998 for the Vikings on a dominant 15-1 team, and then misses in the playoffs to cost them their season. 🫠

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@76collector said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

Jeff

Thanks! What happened is I tried that Houston 20-game winner one first, and it was wrong. I decided to leave it while trying to think of someone other than Verlander, but by the time I got back to it, I was out of guesses. 😂 Are there any other obvious ones I missed for that box?

James Rodney, my man. If there's ever a chance to use his name then I use it.

• Options

@BBBrkrr said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@76collector said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

Jeff

James Rodney, my man. If there's ever a chance to use his name then I use it.

Well, I certainly would have never guessed that one.

Oh, Roy Oswalt... there's one I should have known.

• Options
    Browns1981Browns1981 Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a very low score in baseball, but football is much tougher especially when there’s no easy stat categories.

• Options

the football one was kind of tough...

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

Amazing baseball grid!

That Bears/Titans square was impossible for me.

Here's mine:

Baseball

Hockey

Football

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

That Bears/Titans square was impossible for me.

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@76collector said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

Jeff

Nope, Verlander was the obvious one, I think Mike Scott won one too, but I didn't have the guts to guess him, so I went with V.

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭

I struggled forever trying to get a guy who played for the Twins and Mariners. Finally just gave it up.

• Options

Missed an easy one in football. Apparently my Brewers knowledge isn’t as strong as it needs to be.

• Options

no Griddin' me for me today...

• Options

I only had time for football today but did pretty good.

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

not too bad on 8 of your squares...I'm surprised on your 9th pick there...Marshall... :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

not too bad on 8 of your squares...I'm surprised on your 9th pick there...Marshall... :)

That was the free bingo square. 😂

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

That was the free bingo square. 😂

• Options

Ok, I had some time tonight while watching baseball, so I tackled the hockey grid. Finished just in time to see the Jays blow the game in the bottom of the 9th. 😖

• Options

Well, I couldn’t resist taking a crack at baseball too.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was struggling to fill the bottom middle box until I thought of this:

0.4%

• Options
    nauvcire1nauvcire1 Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

They have added soccer :

• Options
    edited August 19, 2023 6:49AM

Tough day, got hung up on the bottom right corner, Acuna somehow hasn’t won a Gold Glove and Canseco didn’t either. Mark Grace didn’t hit .300 for the Dbacks which surprised me. Football was rough. Could have easily gotten the Dbacks and Yankees gold gloves of course, but wasted my guesses.

• Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Scored a 79 in the Hockey grid today. Lead by alot of former Manchester Monarchs players who bounced around.

• Options

Today's grids:

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

• Options

Another tough day, had a hard time thinking of Cubs with lifetime average, amazed some of my choices didn’t.

• Options

I also blew picks on that Cubs .300 hitter!

Baseball:

Hockey - Almost immaculate. Tried Ron Hextall for 300 wins. He apparently finished with 296. 😭

Football:

• Options

Went way back for some of the baseball choices but couldn’t think of any Tiger/Giant players, which is crazy since both teams have been around forever.

• Options

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

• Options

When I'm racking my brain for picks, I feel like Doctor Strange calculating all the probabilities. lol

• Options

• Options

How does one post the results, preferably with the "Spoiler" shield?

@MarshallFaulk28

• Options

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28

Oh, you can either add >! In front of whatever you want in the Spoiler tag or highlight the whole block of text and then click “Spoiler” under the dropdown on the formatting bar (the 6th button just to the right of the bullets one).

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28

Oh, you can either add >! In front of whatever you want in the Spoiler tag or highlight the whole block of text and then click “Spoiler” under the dropdown on the formatting bar (the 6th button just to the right of the bullets one).

OK, but how does one copy one's results?

• Options

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28

You can take a screenshot of your grid from the Immaculate Grid site, and then paste that image into your post here. From there you’d add that spoiler tag to the image URL if you wish.

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28

You can take a screenshot of your grid from the Immaculate Grid site, and then paste that image into your post here. From there you’d add that spoiler tag to the image URL if you wish.

Oh. I thought you were using something more sophisticated. Seems like Baseball Reference would want to develop something like that.

• Options

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@daltex said:

@MarshallFaulk28

Oh. I thought you were using something more sophisticated. Seems like Baseball Reference would want to develop something like that.

Yes, true! They should make a one-click share button that automatically creates an image or results and/or posts it on various platforms.

• Options

I didn't cheat exactly, but I pre-checked some of my answers. I doubt I'll ever get a rarity score of 4 ever again!

• Options

@daltex said:
    I didn't cheat exactly, but I pre-checked some of my answers. I doubt I'll ever get a rarity score of 4 ever again!

Wow! 😱 That is an epic rarity score.

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@daltex said:

Wow! 😱 That is an epic rarity score.

Once I got the Rangers/Cards and Tigers/Giants right I double checked. Was surprised I could slide a HoFer in there.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2023 3:34AM

It’s way more fun to play legit, try not checking next time. Much more rewarding when you get the obscure ones correct.

One thing to keep in mind is the teams changing: Expos/Nationals, St Louis Browns/Orioles, Senators/Rangers and so on. Opens up years of players you may not have considered. I wish they would find a way to include that in the headers.

It also bothers me that players have to be on the active roster. Everyone knows Johnny U came up on the Steelers practice team for example but it’s not a valid answer.

• Options

Tough day

• Options

I'm kind of pressed on time to play today... :)

• Options

Also tough across the board for me.

Baseball:

Football:

Hockey:

• Options

@Browns1981 said:
    It’s way more fun to play legit, try not checking next time. Much more rewarding when you get the obscure ones correct.

One thing to keep in mind is the teams changing: Expos/Nationals, St Louis Browns/Orioles, Senators/Rangers and so on. Opens up years of players you may not have considered. I wish they would find a way to include that in the headers.

It also bothers me that players have to be on the active roster. Everyone knows Johnny U came up on the Steelers practice team for example but it’s not a valid answer.

Oh, I don't disagree. I was just determined to complete one for once. Once I got the 1984 Tigers, I really didn't want to mess it up. And it's not as though I took credit for it.

And I spent a lot of energy trying to think of Browns who hung around long enough to play for the Angels or Astros before giving up. I ended up filling Angels/Orioles with a HoFer at 1%! The 1972 Traded series did wonders for me.

• Options

I just don’t have the deep football knowledge except for the Browns. Very tough to think of non-skill position players.

• Options

Football was going well today until I entered Doug Flutie in the wrong box. 🙃

Baseball:

Hockey:

• Options

• Options

No 3,000 yard season for Bart Starr? I guess I should stay in my lane and pick guys from my era. 🙂

Football:

Baseball:

Hockey: