Home U.S. Coin Forum

2023 American Liberty High Relief Gold Coin

Comments

• SilverPlatinumSilverPlatinum Posts: 216 ✭✭✭

@Optex said:
    Has anybody seen that there coin has been shipped yet?

Not yet. I'm in Canada and it's showing: Processing and my credit card got charges.

• BurnieBurnie Posts: 441 ✭✭✭

Yes. Mine show being delivered tomorrow.

BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Burnie said:

Which..the gold or silver? According to cc at the Mint. None of the gold have been mailed

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

@OPA said:

@Burnie said:

Which..the gold or silver? According to cc at the Mint. None of the gold have been mailed

Both Silver and Gold. Tracking numbers provided show delivery scheduled for tomorrow. I'll post pictures when I receive them.

BST transactions Wondercoin, MCM, levinll, Zrlevin and ajaan. Been buying and selling coins on E-Bay since 2002 as Monk2580
  • BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can't hardly wait to see real photos of both.... B)

• st0ckyst0cky Posts: 67 ✭✭

I ordered a silver (wish I could afford the gold) in the first 30 seconds of release. My order still shows as processing.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold not available this AM.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:

That's cuz I got one in my bag. As soon as I release it, it'll be available again!!

• JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@JeffM said:
    Did not get the gold. I did not want to pay that high of a premium over the value of the gold. I bought the silver medal instead. I really like the design and feel that the silver is a cleaner (less cluttered) version of the design. Love it.

Well lets see. Gold premium above melt: approx 33%
    Silver medal....approx: a whopping 350% above melt

$900 is a bit more than $60. At least that's what my banker told me.

• jerseyralphjerseyralph Posts: 115 ✭✭✭

Burnie…it looks like the rim is eaten away near where it says states. I hope it isn’t anything but my bad eyes.

Only time will tell whether platinum is king.
  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jerseyralph said:
    Burnie…it looks like the rim is eaten away near where it says states. I hope it isn’t anything but my bad eyes.

Yeah that looks bad. That would be enough to keep it from getting a PR70 right?

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@OPA said:

@JeffM said:
    Did not get the gold. I did not want to pay that high of a premium over the value of the gold. I bought the silver medal instead. I really like the design and feel that the silver is a cleaner (less cluttered) version of the design. Love it.

Well lets see. Gold premium above melt: approx 33%
    Silver medal....approx: a whopping 350% above melt

$900 is a bit more than $60. At least that's what my banker told me.

Figure the percentage for a clad half

@jerseyralph said:

You observation is correct. I took it out to make sure there was damage on the coin. It is, I'll be sending it back. Thanks

@ProofCollection said:

@jerseyralph said:

Yeah that looks bad. That would be enough to keep it from getting a PR70 right?

Yes.

Very odd. Struck through? Planchet defect?

Finning?

@Burnie said:

@jerseyralph said:

You observation is correct. I took it out to make sure there was damage on the coin. It is, I'll be sending it back. Thanks

Question to everyone: What would the mint do with this defective coin? Sell it to someone else or melt it?

I'm a little upset about it, given that I won't be able to get a replacement from the mint...

• MtW124MtW124 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭✭

Hope mines not like that, planned on sending it in sealed. Now I’m worried

@Burnie said:
    I'm a little upset about it, given that I won't be able to get a replacement from the mint...

I understand your feelings. I ordered one coin. I am hoping it is a solid mint coin. I would be upset too.

• GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 17,133 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SilverPlatinum said:

@Burnie said:

@jerseyralph said:

Question to everyone: What would the mint do with this defective coin? Sell it to someone else or melt it?

The proper thing to do would be to melt it.

• JeffMJeffM Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭

@Burnie said:

@jerseyralph said:

How in the hell can the Mint send something so damaged like this coin is? This shows that there is NO quality control at the Mint.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MtW124 said:
    Hope mines not like that, planned on sending it in sealed. Now I’m worried

Why not prescreen the 1 coin?

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

An original subject. On a US coin. Quite extraordinary. I might buy one, someday, if/when the hype goes away.

Perhaps a similar coin with a Sequoia would also be cool. Those are almost as emblematic American as the bison.

I'm not playing the modern mint lottery again though. Ever.

@1madman said:

Why not prescreen the 1 coin

Might end up doing just that. All I can see Wright now is the order number as of yet it won’t go to the order details page for some reason. That’s never happened to my orders before. Hoping it doesn’t kick the order out and cancel.

@Burnie said:
    Received this morning. Excuse the reflections.

Great!! First one to post an image!

There was damage on the coin.

Crap...rim damage...

@Burnie said:

I won't be able to get a replacement from the mint...

Even worse...

What would the mint do with this defective coin? Sell it to someone else or melt it?

Melt it... :(

@Goldbully said:

@Onastone said:

@Goldbully said:

That's cuz I got one in my bag. As soon as I release it, it'll be available again!!

LOLOL !!!!!! Say, where'd you get my picture?? :)

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:
    FWIW, JM is currently buying the 2021 version (12,500 mintage limit) for nearly $3,100.00.

Source: https://www.jmbullion.com/my-account/buyback-products/

The horse high relief is nothing short of spectacular. The new one not so much.

edited August 14, 2023 2:52PM

@Onastone said:

@Burnie said:

Crap...rim damage...

@Burnie said:

Even worse...

What would the mint do with this defective coin? Sell it to someone else or melt it?

Unless the mint deems this to be a QC slip, I'm pretty sure they will (try to) resell it to a less discriminating buyer. Having bought a few closeout mint items, they almost always seem to arrive with defects like this (likely re-packaged returns). Many noob collectors or coin gift givers would not be savvy enough to recognize the defect (or care about it) and return it.

@ProofCollection said:

@Onastone said:

@Burnie said:

Crap...rim damage...

@Burnie said:

Even worse...

Unless the mint deems this to be a QC slip, I'm pretty sure they will (try to) resell it to a less discriminating buyer. Having bought a few closeout mint items, they almost always seem to arrive with defects like this (likely re-packaged returns). Many noob collectors or coin gift givers would not be savvy enough to recognize the defect (or care about it) and return it.

This would be unethical by the mint if they do that.........

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw the same rim damage with the early Palladium, MS 70 Eagles. Sent one back to a major dealer and got a better version.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really wish PCGS would add a separate special column to their population reports of the number of coins graded as minimum 70, but not slabbed.

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint sales w/e 08/13/2023...

The Mint is controlling the sales of these Gold coins just like they have done for the Majority of the 2023 American Gold Eagles.

2023 AM LIBERTY 24K GOLD 1 OZ 8,842 + 8,842

• OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

The Mint is controlling the sales of these Gold coins just like they have done for the Majority of the 2023 American Gold Eagles.

Do they periodically release some of the Gold Eagles?

• cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OLC said:

@cagcrisp said:

>
    >
    After 7 weeks of sales for the 2023 American Gold Eagle Proofs:

1 oz. 99.8% of Total sales were done in the first 7 weeks
    1/2 oz. 99.2% of Total sales were done in the first 7 weeks
    1/4 oz. 99.5% of Total sales were done in the first 7 weeks
    1/10 oz. (the exception) 72.7% of Total sales were done in the first 7 weeks.
    4 coin set 97.1% of Total sales were done in the first 7 weeks.

w/e 08/13/2023 sales for the 2023 American Gold Eagle Proofs:

1 oz. 67.8% of Product limit after 20 weeks.
    1/2 oz. 66.6% of Product limit after 20 weeks.
    1/4 oz. 74.5% of Product limit after 20 weeks.
    1/10 70.2% oz. of Product limit after 20 weeks.
    4 coin set 68.7% of Product limit after 20 weeks.

Ugh. Why hasn't mine shipped yet? I ordered the first minute they were available.

• OLCOLC Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

Are we back to having trouble getting blanks. Seems like we are leaving a bunch of money on the table. Is there a different angle I am missing?

@Burnie said:

@jerseyralph said:

Since the Mint still has some, maybe they will swap you a good one for your return.

@Bullsitter said:
    Some quick and terrible photos. Sorry about the trash on the capsule and reflections, trash has been removed.

Really nice in hand. Tree trunk really stands out and the eagle is awesome, better than I thought it would look.

wow very beautiful, the eagle looks stunning and amazing....... <3

@OLC said:

@cagcrisp said:

This is almost the same number of 2022 Burnished American Eagle coins sold (8844)

@Bullsitter said:

@Burnie said:

@jerseyralph said:

Since the Mint still has some, maybe they will swap you a good one for your return.

They may not have any. They don't necessarily strike them all at once. If sales are less then the max mintage, it's usually because they aren't struck. And if they aren't selling them on backorder, it usually is because they aren't sure they are going to strike anymore.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

Can anyone help me understand why the mint would do this? To me, it seems like the implementation of household limits to start is what the mint does to ensure a spread of the products.

Is it to prevent the product from going on a back order status? So for example, if the mint is having difficultly in getting the packaging, and they don’t know if they will get more, they just reduce sales to equal the number they actually have, and increase sales accordingly?

Or is this a way to possibly offer the coin for sale over a stretch of many months?

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cagcrisp said:

clue me in on a possible next on sale date?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

My order number still is not letting me go to order details to see if it is processing. That’s has never happened in the 100 or so orders I have placed since 2015. Not sure what is going on.

@MtW124 said:
    My order number still is not letting me go to order details to see if it is processing. That’s has never happened in the 100 or so orders I have placed since 2015. Not sure what is going on.

Change the browser and see if it helps.
    Mine is showing: Shipping Status: PROCESSING

I just got a notification that my 3 coin order has shipped.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MtW124 said:

If you are concerned, you could always telephone CS.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file