Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Exciting new 2023 Peace dollar error

I received 6 new 2023-P burnished Peace dollars from the US Mint and one of them has a very interesting error on the upper side of the obverse. The letters BER in LIBERTY are stamped up on a bulged rim area. Please take a look at the photos. I need help in determining what type of error it is referred to as and some advice on submitting it as an error to one of the grading companies like PGCS, NGC or ANACS. Could this be a planchet error? What could possibly cause that bulge on top (circled in red in Area #1)?
Area #2 shows where the raised rim (or bulge area) blends back into the rim.

Comments

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like something went wrong during the manufacture of the die.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

worthy of a label

“The root problem with conventional currency is all the trust that's required to make it work. The central bank must be trusted not to debase the currency, but the history of fiat currencies is full of breaches of that trust.” - Satoshi Nakamoto

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2023 2:02AM

@1st_Place said:
    I received 6 new 2023-P burnished Peace dollars from the US Mint and one of them has a very interesting error on the upper side of the obverse. The letters BER in LIBERTY are stamped up on a bulged rim area. Please take a look at the photos. I need help in determining what type of error it is referred to as and some advice on submitting it as an error to one of the grading companies like PGCS, NGC or ANACS. Could this be a planchet error? What could possibly cause that bulge on top (circled in red in Area #1)?
    Area #2 shows where the raised rim (or bulge area) blends back into the rim.

Interesting.....good luck.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1st_Place.... Interesting find. I would say it is worth submitting. Lighting is tricky, obvious between the two photographs. Let us know the results. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 26, 2023 3:44PM

Sorry, to late for the next CPR. >:);) Or maybe not.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2023 10:15AM

Cool error! If a planchet error, then it could be the only one. OTOH, if a working die fabrication error (an expert opinion from @dcarr ), there could be at least 250K to >300K of these in existence, depending on avg die production life for a dollar die striking up 0.999 silver planchets these days, and whether they caught the error and pulled the die from production.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭

Cursory glance of ebay shows no other similar strike anomaly.
    Interesting to see how this gets marketed.

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    Hmmm, gives new meaning to "edge lettering"

Nice name for the error.

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are we sure it’s just not how the coin appears in the holder? Looks like a shadow to me

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    Are we sure it’s just not how the coin appears in the holder? Looks like a shadow to me

Agree, it would be better to have a straight on photo of the coin out of the holder as the lighting and ridges in the plastic can cause things to look deceiving.

• Options
    1st_Place1st_Place Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

It's not trick lighting. The bulge creates the shadow, that otherwise wouldn't show. When I photograph my other Peace dollars next to it, that shadow doesn't develop on them. I'll get another photo. :)

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that this is the same kind of error that I’ve seen on 1984 Lincoln cents. I don’t know if it’s caused by a misaligned die, or partial collar, or something else.

Here’s an example, and I know it’s more pronounced around more of the rim on this cent, but I’ve seen Lincoln’s exactly like this peace dollar. This sellers picture is decent

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364307662835

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see the rim and a shadow. I don't see a bulge.

The best way to image this would be removing it from the plastic capsule and imaging it that way.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are the two OP photos, one above the other. I only rotated and positioned. The apparent 'lettering on the rim' (or whatever it is best called) does not appear to match to my eyes (letter B and rays more) but then these thing can trick the eye. So here it is for others to view.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2023 3:07PM

I am not saying it's the situation here but I am just sharing what I remember about a similar kind of situation a few years ago. In that situation, the coin wasn't seated properly in the plastic case and it caused a distorted view at one edge.

If this is an actual variety then there will be others showing up.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2023 3:21PM

Both the OP coin and (especially) the ebay one linked by @1madman look to be a simple ridge ring caused by die wear. Neither the op coin or the Lincoln that was linked are a legit error imo.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    1st_Place1st_Place Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Both the OP coin and (especially) the ebay one linked by @1madman look to be a simple ridge ring caused by die wear. Neither the op coin or the Lincoln that was linked are a legit error imo.

My coin is sharply struck, not something that looks anything like a worn out die, as in the eBay Lincoln cent example. of @1madman.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1st_Place said:

@coinbuf said:

My coin is sharply struck, not something that looks anything like a worn out die, as in the eBay Lincoln cent example. of @1madman.

The ebay Lincoln is an example of a very late die state, yours is not as far gone. A coin can be well struck and still form a ridge ring or other late state die issues like field striations, I stand by my opinion.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    SPalladinoSPalladino Posts: 842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2023 3:42PM

@jwitten said:

I thought that I had one, but rotating in the light, I could verify that is was not one. The photos in the OP have lighting from two different directions, leading me to believe that it may be the real deal. That said, photos out of the capsule would be confirmatory.

Steve Palladino
    - Ike Group member
    - DIVa (Designated Ike Varieties) Project co-lead and attributor
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wolf359 said:

@Onastone said:

Nice name for the error.

Not really since "edge lettering" refers to something different.

• Options
    edited July 24, 2023 4:42PM

@coinbuf said:

I tend to agree. I can't think of another mechanism that fits. Unless, of course, it's a capsule illusion.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

If legit wouldn't it be labeled rim lettering?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it - love the coin and agree with the OP and this one

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    If legit wouldn't it be labeled rim lettering?

Only if the die were that way. If it's MAD or die fatigue, it would be called by those monikers.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:
    It looks like something went wrong during the manufacture of the die.

All the pictures have the light source from the same direction in relation to the coin (12:00).
    So now I am wondering about a shadow cast.

If you can, please post a picture using a different lighting angle, at least 90 degrees from where it was.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting to see the full reverse and its edges.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like die wear similar to early 19th century type coins. Does not make sense because it is a modern die but manufacturing mistakes can happen. Not an error, but a "variety" in my book.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said:
    I saw the same thing on my coin at a certain angle while in the capsule. Upon closer examination I discovered it was an optical illusion.

Can you replicate the illusion and post a picture? It will clarify things

• Options
    edited July 25, 2023 8:56AM

@JBK said:
    I am not saying it's the situation here but I am just sharing what I remember about a similar kind of situation a few years ago. In that situation, the coin wasn't seated properly in the plastic case and it caused a distorted view at one edge.

If this is an actual variety then there will be others showing up.

I'll quote myself to reiterate the possibility that if only one out of the OP's six coins shows this effect, they should examine the capsule to see if it is properly closed and the coin is properly seated inside it.

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

[Mine is definitely a shadow.]

But is it worth anything?????

:)

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

The shadow or the coin? ;)

I only bought one for my personal collection so it's not a huge factor for me, but the value seems to be dropping precipitously.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

@UpGrayedd said:

@RichR said:

I only bought one for my personal collection so it's not a huge factor for me, but the value seems to be dropping precipitously.

I'll pay $1000 if you can send me the shadow.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@UpGrayedd said:

@RichR said:

I'll pay $1000 if you can send me the shadow.

After watching an online tutorial I was able to catch the shadow.

PM me your address and I'll send you my PayPal info. ;) Just be careful when you open the package and don't let it escape.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:

If you can get the shadow slabbed, then, yes ;)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Wolf359 said:

@Onastone said:

Nice name for the error.

Well duh. But the letters are on the edge of the obverse, so edge lettering works whether you like it or not.

• Options

@Wolf359 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Wolf359 said:

@Onastone said:

Nice name for the error.

Well duh. But the letters are on the edge of the obverse, so edge lettering works whether you like it or not.

That wouldn't be at all confusing. That's like calling both the arctic and the antarctic "The North Pole". No one would know where to look.

So, it really doesn't work, whether you like it or not.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like this error has been debunked! I wonder if we will ever hear from the OP again? Prolly not. Sounds like a perfect eBay scam.

• Options

@Manorcourtman said:
    Looks like this error has been debunked! I wonder if we will ever hear from the OP again? Prolly not. Sounds like a perfect eBay scam.

They seem to be logging in every day but they haven't posted since the few posts on the day they started the thread. And the additional photos they promised haven't materialized.

I vote for an optical illusion. I also speculate that the OP's six Peace Dollars don't all show the same effect because the one is seated improperly in the capsule.

But who knows...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file