Home Sports Talk
Options

Cool game to play to test your baseball knowledge

Comments

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GreenSneakers said:
    1983 was the year I really got into collecting and remember that John Wathan card well. All those record breakers to start the Topps set were the superstars of the day. Except Wathan. And Milton. And Trillo. I always liked Lance Parrish but not him either. I guess really it was just Rickey.

Plus, Rickey had the coolest photo of any of the RBers that year. That is one badass photo.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

My go to for players on 2 teams is Mike Morgan. Dodgers - Texas was .1%

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭

Wait. Willie Davis? He never played for Washington. No wonder Frank Howard didn't work for me.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

Wait. Willie Davis? He never played for Washington. No wonder Frank Howard didn't work for me.

I picked Willie Davis: Dodgers & Expos....

I Spaced Out and ran out of guesses with Gary Carter gold glove

• Options
    STLKabongSTLKabong Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

I totally brain-farted and used Ryan in the wrong spot.

• Options

and now thinking Astros - Expos Rusty Staub

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2023 8:45PM

@GroceryRackPack said:

@RonSportscards said:

So a "W" logo means Expos, but not Senators? Wha..?

And the stat square supposed to be the team the player achieved the stat, so Gary Carter shouldn't work in that square unless there's a red white and blue "M" logo.

This game is becoming less fun.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2023 6:05AM

So Expos count when you’re asked for Nationals? I would not have realized that.

Makes it kind of confusing. Two different Senators floating around, one would work for Twins, the other for Rangers.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Expos cheat code for the Nationals will make things easier for me. Know baseball in the 80s best.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I feel so much younger on this thread than I do on one’s about parallel inserts.

• Options
    MarshallFaulk28MarshallFaulk28 Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@RonSportscards said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@RonSportscards said:

So a "W" logo means Expos, but not Senators? Wha..?

And the stat square supposed to be the team the player achieved the stat, so Gary Carter shouldn't work in that square unless there's a red white and blue "M" logo.

This game is becoming less fun.

Yes, you have to follow the lineage of the team. The hockey game has a similar situation. If you see the Winnipeg Jets, you could pick Atlanta Thrashers players as that franchise moved from Atlanta to Winnipeg. You can't pick Winnipeg Jets players from the 90s and earlier though as that original Winnipeg team moved to Arizona.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was surprised that my rarity score for today's game was 49, as I used some fairly well known players as my selections. Only the Tampa Bay All-Star might be considered a bit obscure, but yet, he was an All-Star, so it's not like he was just some scrub that barely played. I won't spoil today's game by revealing my picks just yet.

• Options

I did not do very well on today's grid... :(

• Options

It seems like every day one of the teams is the Rays, Marlins, Rockies, etc.

• Options

I'm very poor on with Rays, Marlins, Rockies, or even on newer baseball... :(

with Retro baseball I know that I would be OK on that... B)

• Options

First time I had a right answer not credited (all star/100 rbi). I verified correct on baseball reference. Wish there was a feedback button so they could improve glitches.

• Options

@GreenSneakers said:
    First time I had a right answer not credited (all star/100 rbi). I verified correct on baseball reference. Wish there was a feedback button so they could improve glitches.

Was he an all star in a year where he had 100 RBI?

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭

I learned that Hack Wilson was never an All Star. I assumed a guy in the HOF with 190 RBI one season would absolutely get in. Hard to do when that season - and almost his entire career - was a few years before the first All Star game even occurred :D

Jim

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:
    I learned that Hack Wilson was never an All Star. I assumed a guy in the HOF with 190 RBI one season would absolutely get in. Hard to do when that season - and almost his entire career - was a few years before the first All Star game even occurred :D

I made the exact same mistake.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

8 of 9 today. Could not for the life of me come up with a Royal/Pirate. Still trying for my first perfect one.

• Options

• Options

Impressive! Were you trying to come up with someone other than Pete Rose for that last square? Pete has 91% of the picks right now. lol

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

Impressive! Were you trying to come up with someone other than Pete Rose for that last square? Pete has 91% of the picks right now. lol

I went with Joe Morgan and did not win the golden ticket

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

I went with Joe Morgan and did not win the golden ticket

It's saying there are 37 possible answers... really? The Reds have that many career .300 hitters?

• Options

I picked Sean Casey and he was one of them.

• Options

I was trying not to pick Pete Rose today, and I also ended up missing it.

Here was my grid yesterday. I was surprised at the low percentages, as these aren't really unknown players.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I was trying not to pick Pete Rose today, and I also ended up missing it.

Here was my grid yesterday. I was surprised at the low percentages, as these aren't really unknown players.

Nice choices. I think I also took Steinbach and Knoblauch in those squares.

I was also surprised yesterday picking Frank Thomas for the Oakland/100 RBI square and seeing it was only 1%.

My grid melted though when I tried Fred McGriff for Toronto/100 RBI. No dice!

• Options

Immaculate Grid has launched their football game. We can actually pick guys from the 90s and earlier unlike that other knockoff game.

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    Immaculate Grid has launched their football game. We can actually pick guys from the 90s and earlier unlike that other knockoff game.

hey MarshallFaulk28,
    could you share the link.... :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

hey MarshallFaulk28,
    could you share the link.... :)

Sure, try this!

https://www.immaculategrid.com/football

• Options

Oh Yeah...Now were cooking with gas.... :)

• Options

Eagles - Vikings ???

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    Eagles - Vikings ???

I took Randall Cunningham, but he's not a super rare one.

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@GroceryRackPack said:
    Eagles - Vikings ???

I took Randall Cunningham, but he's not a super rare one.

Good one... :)

• Options
    shawthershawther Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

Cris Carter is who I put.

• Options

Starting 7/26/23, new Immaculate Grid games for existing sports will launch at 9am ET. In order to provide the most reliable and supported experience for our users as we expand to multiple sports, this time change will allow the Sports Reference team more flexibility to respond to issues and feedback in a timely manner. It also allows us to stop pulling all nighters :)

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

So I'm curious: for that last square are we looking for someone who hit .300 with 3000 PA with the Reds, or someone who had 3000 PA with the Reds but an overall .300 BA, or just anyone who hit .300 with 3000 PA who played for the Reds, or something else?

• Options

@daltex said:

So I'm curious: for that last square are we looking for someone who hit .300 with 3000 PA with the Reds, or someone who had 3000 PA with the Reds but an overall .300 BA, or just anyone who hit .300 with 3000 PA who played for the Reds, or something else?

From the rules:

For team and career stat: The player who reached the career stat simply had to play for the team at any point. For example, Randy Johnson would match for 3,000 strikeouts even though he had 2,162 for Seattle and 2,077 for Arizona. Career rate stats have minimums of 3,000 plate appearances and 1,000 innings.

• Options

Once you've played that day's grid, the game gives you links to all of the possible answers. It appeared to me to be any player with a lifetime batting average of .300+ over 3,000+ career plate appearances, that had at any time in their career played for the Reds.

• Options

today's football grid is a Tough One...
    3000+ yd Passing Season
    Kurt Warner
    Scott Mitchell
    Richard Todd

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    3000+ yd Passing Season
    Kurt Warner
    Scott Mitchell
    Richard Todd

Tough for me as well. I also took Warner and Mitchell. I couldn't think of any other Jet besides Namath. I'm struggling with most of the other squares.

• Options

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2023 7:41AM

@MarshallFaulk28 said:

@GroceryRackPack said:
    3000+ yd Passing Season
    Kurt Warner
    Scott Mitchell
    Richard Todd

Tough for me as well. I also took Warner and Mitchell. I couldn't think of any other Jet besides Namath. I'm struggling with most of the other squares.

I took a flyer on Esiason - wasn’t confident since he played before the pass-happy days and the Jets were late in his career, but he popped.

Jim

• Options

Colts - Giants & Rams - Giants...let me think a little bit....
    this is the best that I could do for right now... :)

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    Colts - Giants & Rams - Giants...let me think a little bit....
    this is the best that I could do for right now... :)

I ended up with Tito Wooten and Jason Sehorn for those 2 squares. I didn’t do so hot on some of the other squares though.

• Options

I didn't do so well on today's Grid Iron... :(

• Options

Not a bad day for me. I missed 1 pick on the football game (Washington/Seattle) and got immaculate on the baseball and hockey games.

The football game definitely had some obvious picks for some of them if you're not playing for a low rarity score.

New England/Tampa... gee... I wonder who played for those two. 🤔😀

• Options

@MarshallFaulk28 said:
    Not a bad day for me. I missed 1 pick on the football game (Washington/Seattle) and got immaculate on the baseball and hockey games.

The football game definitely had some obvious picks for some of them if you're not playing for a low rarity score.

New England/Tampa... gee... I wonder who played for those two. 🤔😀

I'd be lost on the hockey grid for sure... :)

• Options

I did Ok on the baseball grid... :)

on today's football grid - I had 2 correct... :(