Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1972 Topps Baseball - Official PSA Thread!

Comments

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2

Didn’t you also have a PSA 10 ‘72 Munson?

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2022 4:29PM

@PaulMaul .....Indeed ~ have had both of 'em for a decade or more....there hasn't been a sale of PSA 10 Munson in a while.... I would guess it might yield 15-25 k maybe more.... but in todays climate I could be grossly off.

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

with that card, it won't matter which house. the major HOF PSA 10's are bringing all the money and then some

the auction houses are getting tougher. with bigger items, they used to give a 5 of the buyers premium to entice high end merchandise, but with prices going haywire, they aren't doing that.

• Options

@1959 said:
    But did money and card REALLY change hands.? one vault room to another vault room?

that could very well be what happened. makes it look like the card price is skyrocketting to artificially inflate the next sale price

• Options

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    @PaulMaul .....Indeed ~ have had both of 'em for a decade or more....there hasn't been a sale of PSA 10 Munson in a while.... I would guess it might yield 15-25 k maybe more.... but in todays climate I could be grossly off.

Might want to keep your eye on the upcoming Heritage auction. Both Munson cards going up soon in PSA 10. Keep an eye on that as the recent sales on the HOF and star cards have been through the roof.

• Options

My thanks to everyone from this site who has helped me while assembling my set. It's been about 15 years in the making and I' currently at #2. I've decided to retire it and am putting it up as a complete set on GOLDIN auction, Super Elite sports/comics; it will go from May 5 until May 21 if anyone is interested. Now on to another project.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2022 8:09AM

@JRR300 Congratulations! I don't collect this set in graded form, but do have a decent raw set, and always enjoy popping in and reading this thread when it appears at the top of the page. It helps educate me on what the tough cards are, etc. Good luck with the results of your auction, and I hope you find something new to collect that you are as passionate about as the 72s.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    @JRR300 Congratulations! I don't collect this set in graded form, but do have a decent raw set, and always enjoy popping in and reading this thread when it appears at the top of the page. It helps educate me on what the tough cards are, etc. Good luck with the results of your auction, and I hope you find something new to collect that you are as passionate about as the 72s.

thanks. keeping my raw set but it probably only EX with a few cards a little higher.

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Good luck on the sale. A great set.

• Options

If anyone is interested, this set is now for sale on the GOLDIN SUPER ELITE auction. Bidding starts today.

https://goldin.co/item/1972-topps-psa-graded-complete-set-graded-787-featuring-carlton-fisk-r0ltwj

• Options
    backbidderbackbidder Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

Good luck with the auction! I will be watching it.

Just curious how you came to decide to use Goldin for this?

• Options

@backbidder said:
    Just curious how you came to decide to use Goldin for this?

Called several houses; came down to Heritage and Goldin. Heritage already has a contract with the guy who had the #2 set prior to mine, putting up between 50-75 cards at each auction. Didn't want to clash with his listings and some of HOF 10's are bringing crazy numbers and thought it would limit my chances. Goldin on the other hand features many big dollar card items and although they really do more basketball and hockey, when they have nice baseball items, they bring the big $$$$ which is what I hope I get here. They appear to have a large following with deep pockets and they made me what I feel is an attractive deal. Just hoping my choice was correct.

• Options
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

just in shock that it went that cheap! I would have bought it back and held if I could. Could have sold the top cards(maybe 100 in all) for at least that money, maybe even more, and that doesn't even take into account all the other 10's in the collection. Honestly, thought it would sell for at least double that amount

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

wow . that is low for so many 10s.

• Options

WTF...did the market suddenly crash in sympathy with the stock market??!

• Options
    edited May 23, 2022 3:02PM

I just took a quick glance at the set, but it seems like the only stars that are 10s are mostly second tier stars (Brooks and Frank Robinson, Stargell, Killebrew, etc.) The major stars in 9 are certainly nothing to sneeze at but the major star 10s is where the obscene money has been appearing. The major star 9s are mostly worth $1000-2000 and so probably only account for around $12-15K of this total. We can speculate where the weakness is coming from. My guess would be that common 10s aren’t as coveted as they once were. I think the low pop cards are probably still pretty strong. I would think it would have brought more money if pieced out, though that is open for debate as well.

• Options

recent Stargell 10 and Clemente IA 10 recently sold for about $27K just three mos ago at Heritage. Even with the lesser HOF 10's at about $2k or more each I don't get it. The low pop 10's at Heritage last few auctions were bringing $3 to $500 per card. There were over 425 10's and over half of the semi high and high number cards in the series were comprised of 10's. I understand what you're saying but to me, it just doesn't add up. At that price I would have jumped in and bought if I could. Also, three months ago, there was a 72 set, 9.31 GPA, 75 PSA 10's, no HOFers, 3 big stars at PSA 8 and that set sold for $90K.

• Options

@manhattanguy said:
    WTF...did the market suddenly crash in sympathy with the stock market??!

I wish I knew. Can't make any sense of it.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    recent Stargell 10 and Clemente IA 10 recently sold for about $27K just three mos ago at Heritage.

It’s truly crazy. The Stargell 10 sold for $16,200. Meanwhile this 9 cost me $148 only a few years ago.

• Options

Sorry to hear that JRR. Maybe Goldin isn't the venue to sell this type of set. I hate the format but those auctions that run a parallel card-by=card auction vs the set and awarding it to whichever gets the higher total bids maybe is the way to go. I don't think it's the market. Steve Novella has been breaking a 500/752 partial 1971 set this week where most were just PSA 8. The results are amazing. My set value jumps $13k when I compare avg VCP to last price which includes Novella's auction results for the low numbers. The high numbers close today, so it will be interesting to see how much more of a boost it gives my set.

• Options

@gemint said:
    Sorry to hear that JRR. Maybe Goldin isn't the venue to sell this type of set. I hate the format but those auctions that run a parallel card-by=card auction vs the set and awarding it to whichever gets the higher total bids maybe is the way to go. I don't think it's the market. Steve Novella has been breaking a 500/752 partial 1971 set this week where most were just PSA 8. The results are amazing. My set value jumps $13k when I compare avg VCP to last price which includes Novella's auction results for the low numbers. The high numbers close today, so it will be interesting to see how much more of a boost it gives my set.

they normally don't specialize in baseball, but the few higher end sets they've recently had from the 70's had done better than anyone could have expected. I think just bad timing and luck on my end. Stock market nosediving, crypto crashing...a lot of the funny money dried up in a hurry. Would have thought a collector would jump on that, with all the 10's and only 2 cards PSA8, but that's the way my luck has been going recently.

• Options

@JRR300

Looks like someone bought your set to piece out….it is currently being auctioned by Greg Morris on eBay. I hope I can pick up a few nice ones!

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    @JRR300

Looks like someone bought your set to piece out….it is currently being auctioned by Greg Morris on eBay. I hope I can pick up a few nice ones!

I saw that. Checked some of the cert #'s to be sure. Certainly didn't waste any time.

• Options

Perhaps Greg bought it himself knowing what the break value would be in his auctions. He only has to cover his fees without the added consignment overhead we have to cover when we consign.

• Options

I'm willing to bet that he'll come close to doubling his money.

• Options

Yeah, I was only looking at the 9s, but the closing prices certainly seemed beyond strong. I overpaid for one card I thought was super nice (120 Freehan) but I signed off after that.

• Options

I placed bids on a few dozen 9's and haven't won a single auction. Card-by-card set breaks are definitely the way to go. Bidders ready to drop 6 figures on a 60s-70s set are much smaller than bidders who will drop 3-4 figures to get cards for their own sets.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won my first auction (PSA 9 common) for $11.57 and got excited, but the bargain basement prices ended there. I won 7 more auctions for prices in line with recent ebay sales.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

I ended up winning three PSA 9 upgrades for my set for about $80 total.

• Options
    savedfromyspokessavedfromyspokes Posts: 1
    edited June 20, 2022 4:22AM

After not doing any upgrades over the past 14 years on this set, I decided to try bidding on some 9 upgrades and ended up completely shutout. If GM did buy the set for himself, he did quite well. Break ended up with at least $183600 in sales.

• Options

the only surprising thing I noticed was that the low pop cards, both 9's and 10's, were all over the map, some extremely low. There was a POP 2 PSA 10, I believe #464, Jim Roland that didn't even break $150, and I had paid over $600 for that card when I was collecting that set. Even the Expos team card which had recently sold in the $1500 range and higher didn't break $1200. Also seems like all the high numbers did bring big bucks.

• Options

@gemint said:
    I placed bids on a few dozen 9's and haven't won a single auction. Card-by-card set breaks are definitely the way to go. Bidders ready to drop 6 figures on a 60s-70s set are much smaller than bidders who will drop 3-4 figures to get cards for their own sets.

I thought that at first, but then I saw a set, same year 1972, with a GPA of 9.3, 75 10's with no stars or high numbers, sell on Goldin for $90K. Then a 75 Topps set with a GPA 9.95 sold for $500K. I think I just got caught in a bad timing window, as the stock market and crypto both took big dives in the week just prior to the auction date.

• Options

Haven't seen any posts for this year since I sold my set about 7 months ago. Guess the 72 market has cooled, but the star prices remain strong. Heritage just has a PSA 10 Clemente #309 in their latest auction. Last I looked the price was over $30K.

• Options
    edited February 2, 2023 5:46PM

@JRR300

Now that every 1972 PSA 9 common on eBay is minimum $40-50 my interest has flagged a bit. I’ll pay up once in awhile if it is a really nice card but these prices do not promote graded set collecting.

• Options
    mbothnermbothner Posts: 761 ✭✭✭

The 1972 set is one I collected as a kid. I always love the in action cards. I put a set together of just in action cards all in PSA 9. I also collect Pirates so I put the Pirates team set together in PSA 9 or better. I wish I'd done the whole set now but it has become too expensive to do that.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2023 7:37AM

@mbothner said:
    The 1972 set is one I collected as a kid. I always love the in action cards. I put a set together of just in action cards all in PSA 9. I also collect Pirates so I put the Pirates team set together in PSA 9 or better. I wish I'd done the whole set now but it has become too expensive to do that.

Tough row to hoe since so many of the toughest cards in the set are the IA cards. I always loved the fact that Billy Martin was given an IA card. I guess his reputation for arguing was well known even back then.

• Options

I'm looking to complete a couple PSA10 player sets and am REALLY having a tough time with these '72's:
    157 Don Gullett
    240 Richie Allen
    465 Gil Hodges
    and the dreaded 491 Lou Pinella Boyhood Photo

Where have all the 10's gone? Grading fee cinch-up? General scarcity?

I would think when some of the commons are fetching over $1K there would be more on the market. Anyway, thanks to anyone who might be able to point me in the right direction for the above illusive '72's.

• Options

Speaking as someone who was chasing 10's for years, good luck with those 4. It is extremely difficult to find the Hodges in a 9, let alone a 10. Never did find a Dick Allen 10; as a life long Phillies fan, i wanted one, especially since I thought he would be voted into the HOF last time.

• Options

@JRR300 said:
    Speaking as someone who was chasing 10's for years, good luck with those 4. It is extremely difficult to find the Hodges in a 9, let alone a 10. Never did find a Dick Allen 10; as a life long Phillies fan, i wanted one, especially since I thought he would be voted into the HOF last time.

Well speaking of Hodges and Allen, now that Gil was finally voted in, it's Allen's turn. He could sure hit some BOMBS!!! They'll enshrine him to the tune of Echoes of November :)

• Options
    edited March 9, 2023 7:28PM

@86DonrussGuy

The Hodges is going to be next to impossible as there are only two 10s. Allen and Piniella KP aren’t much better with only 3.

Gullett is more manageable at pop 7. Still, one sold in 2021 for $1885 for some reason. I actually submitted one a few years ago, but am not interested in selling for now.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    @86DonrussGuy

The Hodges is going to be next to impossible as there are only two 10s. Allen and Piniella KP aren’t much better with only 3.

Gullett is more manageable at pop 7. Still, one sold in 2021 for $1885 for some reason. I actually submitted one a few years ago, but am not interested in selling for now.

What a tease :)

• Options

And proof in point....$1,885 for a Bench Rookie....no....wait...a Don Gullett!!! Good thing I'm not doing player sets for the big hitters!!!

• Options

@86DonrussGuy said:
    And proof in point....$1,885 for a Bench Rookie....no....wait...a Don Gullett!!! Good thing I'm not doing player sets for the big hitters!!!

LOL, I literally paid $1700 for this PSA 8 Seaver Rookie.

• Options

You had to go and show me THAT card. I once owned the only PSA 10 (at the time) of the "Denehy Rookie" :D I think I sold it for $25K back when we were buying land to build our house (mid '90's)...I thought it was big money back then. Probably worth close to that now, right :'(

• Options
    edited March 10, 2023 10:17AM

@86DonrussGuy said:
    You had to go and show me THAT card. I once owned the only PSA 10 (at the time) of the "Denehy Rookie" :D I think I sold it for $25K back when we were buying land to build our house (mid '90's)...I thought it was big money back then. Probably worth close to that now, right :'(

It still sold for $25K in 2012….however, last sale from 2021 was just shy of $350K 😳 That was the time of the $700K Jordans so it would probably sell for considerably less now…

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

@86DonrussGuy said:

It still sold for $25K in 2012….however, last sale from 2021 was just shy of $350K 😳 That was the time of the $700K Jordans so it would probably sell for considerably less now…

O. M. G.

• Options

@manhattanguy said:

@PaulMaul said:

@86DonrussGuy said:

O. M. G.

When did hedge fund guys who live in 6 BR Manhattan apartments and mansions in Greenwich get into the hobby???!!

• Options

Yea...I think I saw the CEO of Schwab buying '72 Topps common PSA 10's for $5K+...and then he liquidated his set?? Must of had sour grapes because he couldn't unseat the #1 set because I see he's still actively buying in other areas. How can I get a Don Gullet when I have to compete with THAT?! Yikes :#