Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Yet another smack in the face

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1madman said:
    The offer ended in May 2022. I agree they should take down the advertisement for it, but I don’t work for them, so I can’t help in that regard

I'm not arguing one way or the other, just pointing out what people see if they check the ANA website. If the offer ended, they should take it down.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 4:30PM

@MasonG said:

@1madman said:
    The offer ended in May 2022. I agree they should take down the advertisement for it, but I don’t work for them, so I can’t help in that regard

I'm not arguing one way or the other, just pointing out what people see if they check the ANA website. If the offer ended, they should take it down.

It is still going according to the NGC website

https://www.ngccoin.com/join/ana/

https://www.ngccoin.com/ana-welcome/

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 4:34PM

@1madman said:

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:
    NGC is also the official grading service of the ANA and ANA members can use their service without paying for membership. Also, NGC is the official grading service of the PNG. I like PCGS but I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid.

NGC ended the free membership for ANA members. Now ANA members get $15 off membership (which comes with $150 in grading credits if you go for the $150 level).

This is inaccurate. There is not a $15 discount any longer. Careful about posting disinformation if you decide to guess

The $15 discount was/is a ONE-TIME discount. After that, it's regular prices.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@1madman said:

I would be careful with guessing and posting disinformation. :D

The press release about the $15 discount did not get released until July 2022, so there is no way it ended in May 2022.

https://news.coinupdate.com/ngc-ncs-and-pmg-once-again-appointed-the-official-grading-and-conservation-services-of-the-ana/

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@1madman said:

@U1chicago said:

@PerryHall said:
    NGC is also the official grading service of the ANA and ANA members can use their service without paying for membership. Also, NGC is the official grading service of the PNG. I like PCGS but I refuse to drink the Kool-Aid.

NGC ended the free membership for ANA members. Now ANA members get $15 off membership (which comes with $150 in grading credits if you go for the $150 level).

This is inaccurate. There is not a $15 discount any longer. Careful about posting disinformation if you decide to guess

The $15 discount was/is a ONE-TIME discount. After that, it's regular prices.

You can keep getting discounts if you let the membership automatically renew:

"Your membership will automatically renew with a discount each year. Associate members receive a $5 discount on renewals, and Premium and Elite members receive a $20 discount on renewals!"

https://www.ngccoin.com/ana-welcome/

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP Spivak is the classic troll. Post an inflammatory thread and then sit back and let others duke it out amongst themselves. His only recent visit was to post this thread yesterday.

Yesterday's post shows as his first, yet he has likes and LOLs that are not from this thread. I really think he was the one who posted a screed critical of PCGS a few months ago, and that thread was poofed entirely.

• Options

@JBK said:
    OP Spivak is the classic troll. Post an inflammatory thread and then sit back and let others duke it out amongst themselves. His only recent visit was to post this thread yesterday.

Yesterday's post shows as his first, yet he has likes and LOLs that are not from this thread. I really think he was the one who posted a screed critical of PCGS a few months ago, and that thread was poofed entirely.

That does seem to be the case.
    Or he wants to set the record for most likes and LOLs with the least (zero) posts. :D

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AdamL said:
    I've never understood why some people care so much when exactly their card gets charged for grading. Once your coins are shipped off to them, what's the difference? In fact, I personally would prefer to pay up front instead of getting charged at some random future date that I can't predict.

The issue isn't hold one individual's $50 or $100 for two or three months. The difference is holding a collection of individuals money that may be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars or more (I have no idea). It's advancing a quarter's worth of earnings, a one time boost to your earnings. So you now have the value of the property (coins) and the fees for a service that hasn't yet been provided.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Posting when the opposition isn't in a position to respond is a "hit and run" tactic that is both
    cowardly and rude.

peacockcoins

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 381 ✭✭✭

@Spivack said:

"We all know this is greed-based,"

Actually I do not know this and I doubt that premise. It is akin to saying all coin dealers are "greed-based" because they do not sell me the coins I want below cost; pity that.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Posting when the opposition isn't in a position to respond is a "hit and run" tactic that is both
    cowardly and rude.

I doubt PCGS would “respond” in any way other than deleting the thread in its entirety. OP knew what he was doing, he wanted us forumites to let this one sink in over the weekend lol

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭✭✭

Turnaround times are slow right now, but I’m not sure the answer is hiring a bunch of ‘worker bees’.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@braddick said:
    cowardly and rude.

I doubt PCGS would “respond” in any way other than deleting the thread in its entirety. OP knew what he was doing, he wanted us forumites to let this one sink in over the weekend lol

Could be.
    Yet anyone who doesn't sign their real handle to a thread carries little weight with me.

peacockcoins

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:
    Spivack is the last name of a well established member here but I do wonder if that is actually them. Hmm.

I too recognized the name.
    If it is who we think it is, they have some serious regs sets.
    If not them, they need to debunk the “handle”
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

MITCH??????

This is surely an ALT by someone trying to cause trouble for Mitch.

Can't believe that Mitch would do this? Creating a new alt to do so when using his last name makes no sense.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s wrong with an honest complaint? If they take down a complaint that’s valid I’ll be very concerned that they are taking the easy way out Vs giving a “here’s what we are doing about it” reply.
    Like any business, if you grow your customer base, you need to increase your staff to provide the same great level of service your existing consumers desire. Understand it must take years to learn to grade properly, but I do see validity here. And no, I don’t think a lot of people love NGC so taking the business elsewhere isn’t ideal.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@gtstang said:
    Spivack is the last name of a well established member here but I do wonder if that is actually them. Hmm.

@GRANDAM said:
    MITCH??????

This is surely an ALT by someone trying to cause trouble for Mitch.

Can't believe that Mitch would do this? Creating a new alt to do so when using his last name makes no sense.

Plain and simple, Mitch wouldn’t do that. There’s absolutely no reason to think he might have.

I agree that it is not him.
    I hope that he states so.
    There are to many people on here who's only goal is to cause harm.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 6:12PM

@johnny010 said:
    What’s wrong with an honest complaint? If they take down a complaint that’s valid I’ll be very concerned that they are taking the easy way out Vs giving a “here’s what we are doing about it” reply.
    Like any business, if you grow your customer base, you need to increase your staff to provide the same great level of service your existing consumers desire. Understand it must take years to learn to grade properly, but I do see validity here. And no, I don’t think a lot of people love NGC so taking the business elsewhere isn’t ideal.

It's not just an "honest complaint". There are a lot of nasty, inflammatory accusations mixed in. He skillfully intermingled everything so that a casual read might pass over the hateful commentary.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2022 6:41PM

@JBK said:
    BTW, the OP's profile has this thread as their first post after joining in October, but with several reactions (Likes, LOLs) that weren't earned in this thread. Could it be that the OP was already the author of a thread attacking PCGS that was previously deleted? 🤔

Just for reference, I was able to find the OP’s other comment that garnered a few reactions. It must have been moderated in its entirety but I’m glad that it was quoted within the thread. I feel much less empathy for OP after finding it.

Edit: Link

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1083260/pcgs-and-cac-grading-services-question-intended-to-create-a-lively-discussion/p2

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 you said "And no, I don’t think a lot of people love NGC so taking the business elsewhere isn’t ideal."

NGC has graded more than 50 million coins so they must be doing something that people like.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@JBK said:
    BTW, the OP's profile has this thread as their first post after joining in October, but with several reactions (Likes, LOLs) that weren't earned in this thread. Could it be that the OP was already the author of a thread attacking PCGS that was previously deleted? 🤔

Just for reference, I was able to find the OP’s other comment that garnered a few reactions. It must have been moderated in its entirety but I’m glad that it was quoted within the thread. I feel much less empathy for OP after finding it.

Quite a classless poster!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    @johnny010 you said "And no, I don’t think a lot of people love NGC so taking the business elsewhere isn’t ideal."

NGC has graded more than 50 million coins so they must be doing something that people like.

Yes and concernigly so. I’m reading closely and it’s clear NGC gives out higher grades and that helps drive their business. I’m sure this is a can of worms to open but when you have a low pop of coin with PCGS at a certain grade but there are plenty in NGC holders at the same or higher grade and members say be careful it’s not always easy to cross straight grade to PCGS there’s a discrepancy in the industry since they both use the same grading scale. Anyway outsider looking in but that’s what I’m seeing.

As for the OP making a hateful post I don’t know the back story here or why someone would impersonate someone else. My specific sentiment relates to growing your business and taking care of customers as demand rises. That’s normal business practice.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

I have never been billed up front. In fact, for my latest submission, which was just received by me two days ago billed my card the day they shipped the coins back to me. While the turnaround times may be long, I appreciate the quality of service.
    I do not feel a need for a rush job. I prefer the job to be done correctly even if it takes a few weeks longer than before, so, no complaints from me.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@gumby1234 said:

Yes and concernigly so. I’m reading closely and it’s clear NGC gives out higher grades and that helps drive their business. I’m sure this is a can of worms to open but when you have a low pop of coin with PCGS at a certain grade but there are plenty in NGC holders at the same or higher grade and members say be careful it’s not always easy to cross straight grade to PCGS there’s a discrepancy in the industry since they both use the same grading scale. Anyway outsider looking in but that’s what I’m seeing.

As for the OP making a hateful post I don’t know the back story here or why someone would impersonate someone else. My specific sentiment relates to growing your business and taking care of customers as demand rises. That’s normal business practice.

NGC does not routinely issue higher grades. Please do not make up such things. There are times a coin won't cross TO NGC

• Options
    edited December 31, 2022 10:10PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnny010 said:

@gumby1234 said:

NGC does not routinely issue higher grades. Please do not make up such things. There are times a coin won't cross TO NGC

I have no issues with putting you in your place. You must be one of those inflating your grades with them. Please reference a highly respected member who also has +31k posts. Not sure why you’d even argue other than it being your nature…I haven’t been here long and even I know you guys use NGC to boost your grades.

• Options

@Halfpence said:
    Agree, the turnaround times are unacceptable. We have but one option: we all must bring our business to ANACS!

This actually makes sense. Thank you for being intelligent in your reply.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@johnny010 said:
    I’m reading closely and it’s clear NGC gives out higher grades and that helps drive their business. I’m sure this is a can of worms to open but when you have a low pop of coin with PCGS at a certain grade but there are plenty in NGC holders at the same or higher grade and members say be careful it’s not always easy to cross straight grade to PCGS...

If NGC gives out higher grades, how would it be possible to ever cross straight grade to PCGS?

Mason I like you. Don’t be silly. You can work though this. There are no absolutes.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@gumby1234 said:

It is true that NGC grades differently than pcgs because they have different standards/definitions they go by. Grading will fluctuate between the 2 companies, and this is common.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS68 Washington Quarters come to mind

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm expecting this post and the poster will be deleted when PCGS comes back to work. I'm surprised someone from PCGS hasn't already read this post and contacted the right person at PCGS to have this post and poster deleted.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@AdamL said:
    I've never understood why some people care so much when exactly their card gets charged for grading. Once your coins are shipped off to them, what's the difference? In fact, I personally would prefer to pay up front instead of getting charged at some random future date that I can't predict.

I can certainly understand why submitters don’t like being charged for services that haven’t yet been performed - especially if it’s a recently instituted policy.
    Additionally, charging in advance doesn’t give the grading company any incentive to improve their turnaround times.

Must be a policy change after going private as this methodology of revenue recognition would never fly in GAAP without an adjustment from a reporting standpoint to back it all out to align with the previous policy. Good cash flow for them at the expense of their customers.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnny010 said:

@gumby1234 said:

I have no issues with putting you in your place. You must be one of those inflating your grades with them. Please reference a highly respected member who also has +31k posts. Not sure why you’d even argue other than it being your nature…I haven’t been here long and even I know you guys use NGC to boost your grades.

You can also find examples that go the other way. You will find coins that won't cross. Posting Bill Jones example of a coin that might have been in an NGC holder for 20 years and then upgraded doesn't exactly prove anything other than that coin upgraded. You will also find examples of coins that were in PCGS 64 holder that are now in 66 holders. And 1000 other different examples of coins going up or down or crossing or not crossing at BOTH major services. You will find NGC coins that sticker and PCGS coins that fail to sticker at CAC.

Is NGC somewhat looser in certain series? Almost definitely. That is NOT the same as what you were/are saying.

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@MFeld said:

@AdamL said:

I can certainly understand why submitters don’t like being charged for services that haven’t yet been performed - especially if it’s a recently instituted policy.
    Additionally, charging in advance doesn’t give the grading company any incentive to improve their turnaround times.

Must be a policy change after going private as this methodology of revenue recognition would never fly in GAAP without an adjustment from a reporting standpoint to back it all out to align with the previous policy. Good cash flow for them at the expense of their customers.

I’m not assuming that the policy change has even taken place. So far, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone confirm the OP’s claim. That said, if it is true, I think it’s unfortunate.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited January 1, 2023 7:29AM

@johnny010 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@johnny010 said:

@gumby1234 said:

Over the years, there have been numerous examples posted here, showing coins that graded higher at PCGS than at NGC and others that have graded higher at NGC than at PCGS. There have also been many others showing coins which upgraded by more than a point at the same company.

Your posts to this thread indicate that you have an unrealistic view regarding the differences in grading between the two companies.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Boosibri said:

@MFeld said:

@AdamL said:

I’m not assuming that the policy change has even taken place. So far, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone confirm the OP’s claim. That said, if it is true, I think it’s unfortunate.

For my last submission received 11/22 and shipped 12/16 I was charged on 12/16.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    ATTENTION PCGS:

The OP here obviously opened his/her account using my last name as the account name for the purpose of using a well-established name on these coin forums to get more eyes on his post. In addition to selecting the long holiday weekend to post his/her mean-spirited rant.

Please require this user to cease using my last name ASAP so no viewer here is the least bit confused that myself or anyone in my family is affiliated with, supports or agrees with, or has anything whatsoever to do with, the OP’s postings here. Thank you.

Wondercoin

@PCGS_Moderator

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

@gumby1234 said:

Ahh the incoherent ramblings of a freshly minted koolaid drinker, always good for a laugh.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
This discussion has been closed.