Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mods please close this

Comments

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read coin texts and message boards and learn! I had a 'fatal' attraction for darkly toned coins when I resumed collecting 2 decades ago. I fell in love with "black beauties" after seeing crusty, original bust halves for the first time as a pre-teen. However, I found out that toning can hide serious problems like corrosion. Posters here, and particularly Ricko, got me to appreciate untoned or lightly toned coins for what they are, coins with only slight "rust" or tarnish. People tease Ricko for his "blast white" tastes, but he's right! Toning is the start of corrosion. Here's a good thread on one of my "black beauties" purchased over a decade ago with some corrosion problems that managed to slip past the graders.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1083707/opinions-wanted-on-a-lafayette-dollar

Soaking coins in acetone to remove any acidic leachate from soft PVC flips was another education for me. I now can recognize even the signs of environmental damage and can select better coins for my collection rather than "burnt" PVC coins. A good, friendly dealer or a local coin club can greatly speed up that education process.

My mistake was not going around to different dealers and finding someone (dealer or collector) who could judge my choices and steer me clear of problems. This board has helped me, but there's nothing like discussing coins face to face with someone with more expertise in coins and collecting.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Where can I get one of those nickels at ?

• Options
    charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

I'll give you $6.99

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3
    B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 1:09AM

@davewesen said:
    EEK, you read it as unc .... they labeled it as high grade
    when you buy something at auction, it is a bad policy to back out without solid reason ... eBay is not an approval service

>
    I don't think SummerDays should return his coin because it looks like a perfectly fine coin. Saying an AU coin is 'high grade' isn't misrepresentation because AU coins that shows substantial luster are high grade to many collectors. Furthermore, the pictures reveal the light wear.

Sorry, but eBay has become an approval service the past few years for me with all the misrepresentation and poor photography I've encountered. If I become angered because a coin is misrepresented or deceptively photographed to hide problems, then I'm gonna return the coin! Period! I don't need to learn any lessons here. The dealers do! I've had it with eBay sellers hiding the problems with their coins! The seller that sold me this Grant shot the coin from some weird angle to hide the fact that it had been cleaned to the point that Grant's face looked like stainless steel. Sad, because I was so excited about this coin that I posted it here and got nice reviews. I couldn't wait for it to arrive in the mail. What I saw when I opened the package immediately ruined my Saturday morning. Fortunately, the FUN show will be here soon so I can purge the bitterness I've developed from dishonest eBay sellers this year.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SummerDays3104 said:

@conrad99 said:

@SummerDays3104 said:
    Dude, you seem like a jerk, based on your many comments on my posts and I’m getting tired of it. People like you are why nobody wants to learn about coins, and is actually the reason I stopped posting on these boards for a long time.

Nobody wants to learn about coins? Quit extrapolating.

You need to read more and post less. Much less.

Oh, so posting less questions about the coins I’m collecting helps me? When nobody else is posting the exact coins I’m holding? Asking questions helps me learn. As I’m posting, I’m learning about the coins. You guys are toxic. And half the comments prove that point

Most people responded respectfully. Constructive criticism is a sign of respect not disrespect. You shouldn't expect that everything will be simply an attaboy.

Where we became constructively critical is when you simply chose to put your mistake on the seller rather than owning it. The item specifics for that coin even say circulated. I don't see where it was ever misrepresented by the seller.

How much respect did you show the seller?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SummerDays3104 said:

And to add, not once did I see ANYONE mention buying certified coins.

@FlyingAl said:

I’d slow down a bit and take some time to learn. If you’re looking for high grade Buffs, buy a few graded examples.

Take a breath, read the responses (Flying Al mentions buying graded examples right away in this thread) and stop whining. I'd put more energy into learning about coins than being so defensive. If someone says it's obviously circulated and another says the horn is worn, these are important responses.

I started reading this thread with interest and it suddenly turned into a sour argumentative one- calling half of the members here toxic is ridiculous.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 6:29AM

@SummerDays3104 said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    That's full retail for an AU coin. It's a fair price.

Is this an AU coin? I can’t tell when it comes to buffalos

Look at the point of the hip. See the mushy spot. That is a rub and considered circulation and makes it AU.
    Also look at the shoulder
    Also look at the leg below the hip point
    Also look on the cheek of the chief

Those are your high points and will exhibit rubs. Especially key is looking at them in hand and looking for the break in the luster. Kinda like looking at a Krispy Kreme donought and seeing some icing missing or cracking.

Without understanding the high points of the coin, you are just throwing away money. Especially on raw coins on ebay.

I think the Mega redbook shows all the design areas to view.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buffalo nickels are one of the toughest coins to learn to grade properly. Certain years have extremely weak strikes too. You need to get some specialized info if your going to seriously pursue Buffalo nickels. I would suggest some of the late Ron Popes books as a great place to learn about them.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    edited December 1, 2022 6:16AM

I will buy the coin from you if you succeed in the purchase. I have a group of Buffs to send in for my grading set.

I have several boxes of 20
    Buffs
    Lincoln Cents
    Morgans
    Peace Dollars

I call them my grading sets. Typically buy slabbed across several grades or in the case of Buffs and Lincolns try to make a few.

Like a post above, I cover the grade and sort them according to how the grades appear to me.
    Why?
    It takes consistent volume to retain your eye for grading.
    You need coins in hand to rotate and get a full view of the coin.
    How else can you do this when the next show is a month and 150 miles away?

My advice from hard learned lessons...

Slow down
    Tuition is not cheap
    The first $10K is like setting a match to $100 bills
    Buy slabbed coins
    Spend more on books about the series you like
    Connect with a dealer (If Buffs scratch your itch, the Angel Dees the top dealer to buy from)
    Spend money and travel to shows and take the ANA classes (they offer a week long summer program)
    Keep your cheap mistakes and send them in for a grade. (Coin could have scratch, cleaned, color)
    Early on the only deals on Ebay is to pick varieties (preferably unattributed in slabs)
    The money you save from gambling on raw coins will buy a plane ticket to a major show.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    Buffalo nickels are one of the toughest coins to learn to grade properly. Certain years have extremely weak strikes too. You need to get some specialized info if your going to seriously pursue Buffalo nickels. I would suggest some of the late Ron Popes books as a great place to learn about them.

More great advice.

Each year, each mint, had their own strike qualities.

It is really a case by case hunt.

• Options
    edited December 1, 2022 6:40AM

@MFeld said:

@yspsales

Keep your cheap mistakes and send them in for a grade.

Why should someone send their “cheap mistakes” in for a grade? I think you can learn about grading without (as in the case of this coin) spending roughly $30 to get a $5 coin graded.

Respectfully disagree.

Not saying I would randomly buy and send in the coins, but he can learn alot besides AU and BU.

Problem coins including cleaned, questionable color etc...

He sought out a deal on this particular coin and should see it thru to the end.

Maybe it will make him slow down and think, and buy slabbed and compare.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yspsales said:

@MFeld said:

@yspsales

Why should someone send their “cheap mistakes” in for a grade? I think you can learn about grading without (as in the case of this coin) spending roughly $30 to get a $5 coin graded.

Respectfully disagree.

Not saying I would randomly buy and send in the coins, but he can learn alot besides AU and BU.

He can learn a lot about most grades, as well as problem coins, without paying grading fees that exceed the value of the coins. And he need not “see it thru” by getting this coin graded - he’s already been correctly told that it’s AU.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

ell, I like Jefferson nickels, and I know them really well, but I want to move on to buffalo nickels and silver dollars now that I have the money. I specifically want Morgan’s and Peace, but I’m decently knowledgeable on peace’s. So Morgan’s and buffalos are what I need help in

In my opinion, the best way to learn to grade is to look at coins, LOTS of coins. "Playing" the GTG posts on this site is a way to start. Look for the ones involving Morgans and Buffs. If you can, go to
    a major show where auction lots are on display. It costs nothing to register and look at the coins.
    As you take each coin from the box, cover the grade and give it a grade you think it deserves.
    (most of the coins in auctions are slabbed). When you're giving the coin the same grade as the slab
    70-75% of the time, you can be confident you're on the right track. That being said, if you do this,
    you should try to buy something that you want for your collection by placing a fair bid.
    I know some people may be blunt in their replies, but the vast majority of folks here are
    knowledgeable and are WILLING TO SHARE THAT KNOWLEDGE. I've learned a lot on this forum,
    and hope that when I've posted that I helped someone as well

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 9:28AM

To the point @MasonG made - the seller accurately filled in “Circulated” under the “About This Item” section in the listing. I think the coin was exactly as described by the Seller in the listing - a high grade circulated example - i.e. AU. The listing is a bit sales-y but it’s accurate.

There’s no shame in making a $10 mistake. $10 is cheap tuition.

I recently went through the process of submitting the coins I bought as a YN in the 90s. It was painful. There’s a steep learning curve in this hobby and the best thing to do is look at as many coins in person as possible. Also, take the ANA grading class - it’s awesome!

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@yspsales said:

@MFeld said:

@yspsales

Respectfully disagree.

He can learn a lot about most grades, as well as problem coins, without paying grading fees that exceed the value of the coins. And he need not “see it thru” by getting this coin graded - he’s already been correctly told that it’s AU.

Agree with Mark. I know these posts can get monotonous with people buying coins they thought were good deals and winding up not being what they hoped for but, I don't think it's good advice to advise them to waste more money. It's bad enough to have your bubble burst after reading knowledgeable responses but then to take advice to lose more money? Just doesn't seem the right thing to do here.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the same dealer has relisted the exact same coin.
    Did the OP back out of his commitment to purchase it?

peacockcoins

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤔

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just typed in 1936 Buffalo nickels on eBay search and wow there’s a bagillion available. Cheap. Any grade slabbed or not. Interesting 🧐

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    edited December 1, 2022 11:53AM

He paid $50 for the MS65 1938d Buff at the pawn shop.

Now purchase the AU53-58, MS62-63, MS64, MS65, MS66 in 1938d.

Similar in color, spot free, and no toners.

Four examples of each for 20 coins in total

Stick them in a PCGS box holding 20 slabs and look at them a couple times a week with the grade covered.

Best $1000 you can spend outside of a plane ticket to a major show, coupled with an afternoon to sitting in an ANA seminar will Bill Fivaz.

IMHO... One needs a volume of coins, accessibility to coins, and viewing of coins almost weekly to maintain some level of skill.

All the 2D online coins in the world cannot train you to see in 3D.

• Options

@yspsales said:

Stick them in a PCGS box holding 20 slabs and look at them a couple times a week with the grade covered.

Best $1000 you can spend outside of a plane ticket to a major show, coupled with an afternoon to sitting in an ANA seminar will Bill Fivaz.

IMHO... One needs a volume of coins, accessibility to coins, and viewing of coins almost weekly to maintain some level of skill.

Clearly you are a principal at PCGS.

Why can't you look at other people's slabs, raw coins, pictures on the internet without spending (throwing away?) $1000 to create your own?

[I won't even get into how many arguments go on in this forum over PCGS getting the grade "wrong".]

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoy the coin for what it is, and don't let your disappointment in the coin get the best of you. Your grading skills will improve over time, and as you understand the typical wear patterns of each series you too will spot "obvious" wear that those unfamiliar with the series cannot. We are all at different levels here (and I am no expert, for sure), but I hate seeing babies thrown-out with bathwater.

This was a $10 investment in a $6-8 coin... Did you win big? No. But you really didn't lose either. You got a fine coin, and a nice lesson... all for less than the cost of eating at McDonalds.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,224 ✭✭✭✭✭

All right then. I just read the thread in its entirety.
    (Sorry for the dumb post above.)

I was always under the impression that if PCGS kicks you off these boards, you weren't allowed to come back with a different user name and pick up where you left off before.
    Perhaps I am behind the times, and PCGS now allows exceptions.

peacockcoins

• Options
    edited December 1, 2022 1:55PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@yspsales said:

Why can't you look at other people's slabs, raw coins, pictures on the internet without spending (throwing away?) $1000 to create your own?

[I won't even get into how many arguments go on in this forum over PCGS getting the grade "wrong".]

@jmlanzaf and @MFeld

Y'all take it up with ANA

The box of 20 coins is the same approach Fivaz used in the grading seminar (NGC slabs BTW)

Probably should have said... just buy CAC'd

Respectfully disagree with the two well established experts... and they are the experts in this debate.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

The solution here is to be sure to only buy properly graded coins. :)

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why so much objection to establishing your own grading set. In fact, JA is taking that approach at CAC. I would try minimize expense on it - no sense in paying $30 to slab a $5 buff when you can buy one already slabbed out of the bargain bin for $5 at any major show.

• Options
    KAJ1KAJ1 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 2:31PM

You want some good advice?

1- Buy the book and not the coin.

2-Buy some low grade mint state examples, that are already graded.

• Options

@J2035 said:
    Not sure why so much objection to establishing your own grading set. In fact, JA is taking that approach at CAC. I would try minimize expense on it - no sense in paying $30 to slab a $5 buff when you can buy one already slabbed out of the bargain bin for $5 at any major show.

I have no problem with having a grading set. They are fun. But the suggestion made was to spend $1000 submitting your own coins. Buying someone else's mustard for $5 or $10 is a whole different story.

• Options

@yspsales said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@yspsales said:

@jmlanzaf and @MFeld

Y'all take it up with ANA

The box of 20 coins is the same approach Fivaz used in the grading seminar (NGC slabs BTW)

Probably should have said... just buy CAC'd

Respectfully disagree with the two well established experts... and they are the experts in this debate.

No one is opposing the idea of a grading set. But spending $1000 submitting coins that are with $10 is the worst way to do it. You can easily find details coins and low grade common date Buffaloes for $10 that are already holdered.

JA isn't spending $1000 creating a grading set. He's slabbing them himself

• Options
    edited December 1, 2022 3:11PM

CAC, PCGS, ANA, and probably ANAC's and NGC use some form of grading set??

Buy slabbed? Don't buy slabbed? Send in for grade? Don't make your own?

@MFeld and @jmlanzaf please make up your minds.

Most noobs will blow $1K before the light bulbs comes on.

I rest my case... outta here.

• Options

@yspsales said:

CAC, PCGS, ANA, and probably ANAC's and NGC use some form of grading set??

Buy slabbed? Don't buy slabbed? Send in for grade? Don't make your own?

@MFeld and @jmlanzaf please make up your minds.

Most noobs will blow $1K before the light bulbs comes on.

I rest my case... outta here.

You're talking to an 18-year-old about spending $1000 to create an (unnecessary?) grading set of inexpensive coins in expensive holders. I made up my mind. It's not worth $1000 in slab fees to (re)create a grading set when they exist out there already.

I put together a grading set of BUffaloes for the local junior coin club a few years back. 100% raw. Less than $20 invested in the circ grades.

Even if you MUST have a PCGS slabbed grading set because you don't trust your eyes or the internet - have you seen the PCGS photograde guide? - I still wouldn't be spending $30 to $40 to slab a VG Buffalo just so I could say that I correctly predicted that the Buffalo would come back VG. That's a rich man's game not a necessary expense for an 18 year old novice.

Most of us are old enough to have learned how to grade without ever touching a slab because they didn't exist. And back in those "good old days" there weren't even millions of high resolution images on the computer. If you can't learn to grade - subtle damage issues perhaps aside - from PCGS photograde and the Heritage auction archives (shout out to @MFeld) then you aren't going to learn from a $1000 box of 20.

For $1000, you got a box of 20. For $0, I've got a million high resolution images.

We can agree to disagree. But my way is definitely cheaper and arguably at least equivalent.

And if you must have slabs, I would still do this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204084628660?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=FZmPicAeS8i&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=I7BWTu72SVS&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

OR this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204084628660?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=FZmPicAeS8i&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=I7BWTu72SVS&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

rather than submit it for $35.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 7:28PM

Or you could take that $1000 and get almost an entire album of Buffalo Nickels in G-VF. Which of those would be more fun and more educational for a YN with a modest budget? When I was 21 I started building a Buffalo album. After a year or two of going to shows and looking at tons of raw (and some slabbed) coins I learned how to grade and even how to differentiate strike weakness from wear and particulars by date/MM. I couldn’t grade MS coins at all but I could tell a G4 from a G6. I never had to buy a single graded coin (or submit one) to do it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Even if you MUST have a PCGS slabbed grading set because you don't trust your eyes or the internet - have you seen the PCGS photograde guide?

That was my first thought. If you can't figure it out with those photos, you're not going to figure it out with a grading set.

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2022 4:52PM

Trying to learn something from this post, like what was the point...

• Options

Never said anything about anything below AU.

I have pushed books, PUP's, dealers, grading class, and an affordable strategy on this thread.

Yet, I still not sure what you are saying @jmlanzaf

I respect your dealer chops, but you are welcome to keep trying to win a debate you are losing.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

SummerDays3104:

Suggestion:

Try seeking out advice BEFORE you bid on the next coin but even better to ask questions by visiting a local coin show and looking at PCGS holdered coins to learn what an AU versus mint state coin really looks like. Even then, it is tough to translate in person knowledge to knowledge of photos of coins.

In the meantime, you survived very well on the current purchase and received fair value for your price paid.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options

@yspsales said:

Probably not a lot of YNs putting together an AU-UNC set of buffalo nickels...

• Options

@MasonG said:

@yspsales said:

Probably not a lot of YNs putting together an AU-UNC set of buffalo nickels...

Don't join the "losing" side. ;)

• Options
    edited December 1, 2022 6:14PM

@yspsales said:

I have pushed books, PUP's, dealers, grading class, and an affordable strategy on this thread.

Yet, I still not sure what you are saying @jmlanzaf

I respect your dealer chops, but you are welcome to keep trying to win a debate you are losing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185629929865?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=_Xp_ahkETJC&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=I7BWTu72SVS&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'm not sure this is about "winning" or "losing" but there appear to be more posters on my side than yours.

"Keep your cheap mistakes and send them in for a grade. (Coin could have scratch, cleaned, color)"

Sorry, I didn't realize your cheap, possibly scratched, mistakes were all AU or better.

I probably should also add that, while I disagree with the need for $1000 grading set, you did give the YN a lot of really good advice on this thread that I do agree with.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file