Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1970-S quarter struck on 1898 $5

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw this post on Coin Week and I cannot fathom how this error occurred naturally and what were the factors that the Secret Service used the deem it legal to own.
@Byers any insight you can share?

https://coinweek.com/coins/error-coins/mike-byers-mint-error-news-washington-quarter-struck-on-half-eagle-gold-coin/?fbclid=IwAR3WkVfrlEe6b1jRA9BpmSH2Y3IoaZn0n0o1E9Qe2WeeY00nJSK3Ob5slj0

Comments

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of shenanigans at the San Francisco mint in the early and mid 70s. A lot of these were part of the abandoned safety deposit box auction held by the state of CA with the approval of the secret service. I don't know if this coin was part of that group.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2022 4:55PM

@Boosibri said:
    Just saw this post on Coin Week and I cannot fathom how this error occurred naturally...

Not to worry. It's not an error and it didn't happen naturally.

edited to add for Mike Byers... Yes, some people like this sort of thing.

• Options

@messydesk said:
    This is the key to the 1970s Shenanigans Set.

You forgot to include The Mint Sport Olympics...

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    Treasury can let this go but not the 1933 $20?? You gotta be kidding. Clearly an insider job.

Sure, jail the Mint employee if you can catch him, but don't hold that against the coin. Or in other words, as the Bible says, "The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father".

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to see "1970-S Jefferson overstruck on 1870-s half dime." Let me know when that one turns up.

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any coin struck on a foreign object (in this case, another coin) is an error by definition. The error designation is given to coins that were made incorrectly. Most often, error coins result from mistakes in the minting process, but sometimes they are intentional/assisted.

No doubt the OP coin was made with assistance, but it is an error, nonetheless. Such coins are prized by many collectors, with the understanding that they are assisted errors.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint worker was having fun

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has no appeal to me aside from its value. But if others enjoy collecting this sort of error, so be it.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Omegaraptor said:
    Mint worker was having fun

No, it was a deliberate criminal enterprise, but the Secret Service says that they are legal and so they are legal.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2022 8:42PM

This gold Quarter article broke last week in Mint Error News, and today in CoinWeek.

https://minterrornews.com/discoveries-10-17-22-unique-gold-quarter.html

Prior to this, the Quarter on the Canada Quarter received the most publicity.

These U.S proof error coins were auctioned by the State of California, after the U.S. Secret Service inspected and released this collection, determining that they were legal to own.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 597 ✭✭✭✭

I'm all-around not impressed. The only think I'm impressed by is that this was kept secret for 50 years.

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 511 ✭✭✭✭

How long until someone shows up here, certain that they have one?

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Made to order?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:

@IkesT said:
    Any coin struck on a foreign object (in this case, another coin) is an error by definition. The error designation is given to coins that were made incorrectly. Most often, error coins result from mistakes in the minting process, but sometimes they are intentional/assisted.

No doubt the OP coin was made with assistance, but it is an error, nonetheless. Such coins are prized by many collectors, with the understanding that they are assisted errors.

Sorry, it’s not an error if made intentionally!
    A error is a mistake

Martin

On a very popular series of modern day baseball cards there is a code to tell whether the card is an error.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

An intentional error is the same as a forgivable loan. Both are oxymorons.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there any info on what the basis was for the secret service to deem these legal to own?

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I agree on intent with this piece, there are some borderline examples, at least in my GB series where experiments were undertaken with the coming decimal coinage and there are what appear to be off metal strikes that would IMHO be patterns......

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Well you see, an 1898 $5 gold piece got stuck in the bin at the Mint and was loaded up with Washington Quarter planchets shortly after, er...72 years later, and we'll, uh...you know how the story ends
    :D

Don't forget an "illegal" 1898 $5 gold.

• Options

@MarkKelley said:

You can forgive a loan... as long a you're the one that made it.

• Options

@Martin said:

@IkesT said:

Sorry, it’s not an error if made intentionally!
    A error is a mistake

Martin

Maybe they intended to strike a nickel

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭✭

Hard to imagine how many people were involved in this. One person did not “walk” this through. Easy to get this 1898 $5 gold into the Mint, much harder to get it out.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MarkKelley said:

You can forgive a loan... as long a you're the one that made it.

In that case it's no longer a loan, it's a gift. A loan by definition is paid back.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regardless of the creation of this and some of the other "errors ", I could definitely make room in my collection for these coins.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2022 7:06AM

This coin was not a secret for 50 years. It was certified 20 years ago along with the others. It recently was re-holdered by NGC. It has traded hands several times among some of the biggest names in numismatics, who are internationally respected and leaders in our industry.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2022 5:06PM

Why didn’t I list the impressive pedigree here?

When I sold the unique gold Buffalo Nickel for $400k to a Trust, the owner requested confidentiality and privacy, which I respected. Later on he posted in the thread regarding his purchase, and identified himself.

Any of the previous owners of this gold Quarter are obviously welcome to post in this thread.

• Options
    DFrohmanDFrohman Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

@Tibor said:
    Regardless of the creation of this and some of the other "errors ", I could definitely make room in my collection for these coins.

Me, too!

<3<3

And the gold represents the crown jewel required to complete the four-coin set.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    Not a mint error. A worker created it to profit.

Most strange coins of that era coming out of San Francisco were all "made" coins. There are numerous examples of really bizarre combinations and errors that were made on purpose and secreted out of the Mint for profit.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:
    Why didn’t I list the impressive pedigree here?

When I sold the unique gold Buffalo Nickel for $400k to a Trust, the owner requested confidentiality and privacy, which I respected. Later on he posted in the thread regarding his purchase, and identified himself.

Any of the previous owners of this gold Quarter are obviously welcome to post in this thread.

$400k for a coin that just sold for $78k in Heritage?

• Options
    edited October 25, 2022 2:44PM

@Rexford asked:

“$400k for a coin that just sold for $78k in Heritage?”

Yes $400k. There is a thread on this gold Buffalo Nickel. And the buyer knew that it had sold for $78k in the Heritage Auction. It was originally in a PCGS net graded holder. Now it is in a regular NGC holder.

Full disclosure in the Mint Error News article:

https://minterrornews.com/news-6-29-22-unique-gold-buffalo-sells.html

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

The gold quarter is an amazing error coin and yes this should be classified as an error coin because it is not what the mint intended.

This coin is highly collectable. The mystery just adds to the collectability. What a fun coin to own.

• Options

"The mystery"? You mean like making up nonsense stuff because you have the opportunity to? And that some people will be impressed by your efforts? That sort of mystery?

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mystery is how much more material like that is out there. Speculate on that over a longer period?...no thanks.

Not a historically significant coin. The significance is the spurious circumstances.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    The gold quarter is an amazing error coin and yes this should be classified as an error coin because it is not what the mint intended.

This coin is not an error since it was created intentionally.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2windy2fish said:
    Am sure these errors will sell for “Moon Money “ but cannot help but think this degrades our hobby…

I think it actually helps the hobby - although like you I don’t particularly like it

• Options

Obviously some aren’t fans of exotic proof errors. That’s fine! Everyone collect what they enjoy.

Regarding ‘moon money’ and proof error coins helping the hobby…

I think that Heritage Auctions answered this one without even posting here.

For their Central States Platinum Night session, they promoted the proof Ike Dollar clover leaf set, giving it the entire inside cover, and it sold for a record $105k.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file