Home U.S. Coin Forum

😍 GOT gold? CONTEST ❤️ We have a WINNER!!!

Comments

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 9:07AM

"Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

From my earliest collecting days, reading the Red Book cover to cover, every denomination and issue, I was always mesmerized by the Pine Tree coinage. It just seemed so cool. And old. And historic. I never dreamed that one day I would assemble a type set, but I did!

Oh, and welcome back! And thanks for the opportunity!

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 9:08AM

Grandpappy gave me a Morgan Silver Dollar for my 7th birthday, I was hooked.

Thanks for the contest..... B)

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 9:50AM

"Try to be the man your dog thinks you are" .. anonymous

My first experience with a gold coin was looking at a $2.50 Indian in a case in a bookseller/coin dealer's shop as an 8th grader. I picked one up oh about 45 years later lol

...and thanks for the shot

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

By the time I realized everything my father told me was right, I have a son who thinks I’m wrong.
    Will Rogers

My first experience with gold was when my dad got me to invest in a couple of double eagles way back in the day.

Thank you for the chance😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 9:30AM

"When you light another's candle, you lose nothing of your own......You just create more LIGHT."

YOU are such a light @Paradisefound <3o:)

Fond memories of my dad starting me with Morgans, Walkers and Franklins. The passion grew exponentially from there. Just like a candle light.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 10:00AM

"I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor."
    Henry David Thoreau

My earliest memory of being fascinated with a coin is when my dad brought home a roll of junk silver quarters during the silver rise in '80. I was 6 years old. I found it so interesting that they used to be made of silver, but as I was looking through them, I saw two that looked different. There were 2 SLQ's in there, that I had never seen before. It never occurred to me that there were different designs from the change in our pockets. I studied those worn dateless coins and was truly fascinated by them. That started my coin collecting hobby. To this day I still love SLQs because of that early memory, and a few weeks ago bought my holy grail: a PCGS CAC PO1 1916 SLQ. Proud to just be an owner of a 1916.

• BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Quantity has a quality all its own".

Joseph Stalin.

I guess that's why he had so many tanks made.

I don't really care for Stalin, the USSR, or any of the stuff that leeches out from that Godforsaken land.

The only reason I post this is because I think it's a neat statement.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you fornthe opportunity

"If you have to choose between being right or being kind. Be kind."

• littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭

"Remember, no matter how dark it gets, the sun will rise again."

When I was very young (in the 1950's) my aunt would give us silver dollars that she got at the bank for face value. Nobody wanted them back then.

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Work smarter, not harder" Scrooge McDuck, at least that is the first time I remember hearing that quote and it has stuck with me all my life.

My grandmother, who passed away last year, is the one who got me interested in coins. She would give me some for Christmas and I remember her taking me to a couple coin shops when I was just a kid. I really miss her and feel very fortunate to have had her in my life for as long as I did.

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread reminds me of another Mark Twain quote:

"The best way to cheer yourself is to try to cheer somebody else up."

In grade school (1960's) we could buy lunch for 40¢. I remember the lunch lady kept the coins separated in a muffin tin, and we noticed some of the dimes were different - later found out they were called Mercury dimes.

And just hearing everyone's stories is almost as good as winning gold. Thanks Paradisefound!

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite Inspirational Quote is by Abraham Lincoln: Commitment is what transforms a promise into reality.

My earliest experience or interest in coins started when I was maybe 7 or 8 years old and my dad showed me a 1916 Buffalo nickel that he found. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen as far as money goes. After that I looked through change all the time.

Today I wish I still had that nickel, but I gave it away to a young collector many years ago while my dad was still alive. I replaced it a few years ago with this 1916 Hobo nickel piece (see photo below) that I inserted into a picture and then put in a frame. It reminds me of my dad because this is what he used to dress like when he was a general laborer in the early 1970's and he found that nickel.

@Paradisefound Please do not include me in your contest as I was fortunate enough to win one of your previous contests. You are a kind and generous person. May it be returned to you many times over.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the opportunity!

The Golden Rule:
    “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

My earliest experience was my Mother and Father saving the Morgan Dollars for each of their children. I loved how old they were and how big they looked! There was one for each of us.

However, I got hooked on stamps as a kid and didn't get involved in coin collecting until 2019 with the W quarters 😎

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

My inspirational quotation is in my .sig...
    Early love of coins: When i was in grade school, I used my lunch money to buy a liberty nickel from some other kid for a couple of bucks. I was amazed to have a coin that was so old (70 years?)

Thanks,
    am

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • JMS1223JMS1223 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 12:19PM

“Get busy living or get busy dying” - Stephen King (Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption).

My earliest coin memory was when my father took me to our local coin store when I was about eight years old. I remember buying a set of three uncirculated 1943 steel cents - P, D and S. I used to call them “silver pennies” because they looked like silver to me. I also remember getting a Kennedy clad half dollar in my change after paying for the steel cents. The coin shop in this building had foreign coins sealed into the floor. I remember thinking “well that’s a waste of valuable coins” not realizing at the time that the foreign coins were likely super common junk lot type coins. A few years later this coin shop moved to another location and then about five years ago closed permanently.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭

Grew up on Western Avenue, Albany NY 200 year old brick house, moving and removed cupboard drawers built into hallway
    between rooms, found and 1859 Indian head cent a nice AU if I recall correctly (1966 grading standards) when I was young.

1859 Indian cent

From memory

Out out brief candle! Life is but a walking shadow a poor player who struts and frets his lonely hour upon the stage and is heard no more. Tis, a tale told by an idiot full of sound and fury! Signifying nothing.

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Love others as I have loved you"
    ~ Jesus

Earliest experience was looking for interesting coins collected from my paper route when I was a boy.

Many happy BST transactions
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won one of your generous contests, so I will pass on this one. Thanks and welcome back.

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the opportunity. I am not sure if this qualifies as "inspirational" or not, but it is a favorite quote of mine that atleast involves money, if not coins.

"If you owe the bank $100 that's your problem. If you owe the bank $100 million, that's the bank's problem." J. Paul Getty

One of my earliest fond memories of coins involves a ziplock bag full of loose coins given to me by my father, which he had received from his father. My dad wasn't a collector and I never knew my grandfather, so I don't really know if he was or not. The bag contained mostly low value circulation coins, but my dad's family was from Illinois, and it did include a 1918 Illinois Commerative. I was fascinated by this coin, which was over 70 years old (forever by my standards at the time) and I must have fished it out of the ziplock baggie dozens of times, mishandling it every time. Fast forward 20 years and I decided to send this heavily tarnished (and I'm talking dark ugly toning) coin in for conservation and encapsulation, mainly for sentimental purposes. To my surprise the coin came back MS62. I still have it today, and while it is not all that valuable, monetarily speaking, it is priceless to me.

Philippians 4:4-7

• AgflyerAgflyer Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

“If at first you don’t succeed, don’t try sky diving”. He he.

My Grandma would collect “unusual” coins that would pass through her shop. One day she was given an 1821 pillar dollar, which she saved and gave to me. That was 1989, and It was the coin that got me in to coin collecting. Though polished and scratched, it’s still my favorite coin in my collection.

Thank you very much for the chance!

I've had great transactions with people like: drwstr123, CCC2010, AlanLastufka, Type2, Justlooking, zas107, StrikeOutXXX, 10point, 66Tbird, and many more!
  • gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are truly generous. Here is one of my all time favorites that is not always so easily achieved the older we get.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool giveaway. Thanks for the opportunity!

I'll quote myself: "Stop selling coins you like". I used to be the person selling upgraded dates when I realized it's a silly thing to do. The coins I upgrade still meet all the qualities I find attractive, since I don't believe in placeholders, so selling them created nothing but sadness.

In terms of a story, I always think back to when I was 9-10 years old and my brother showed me the way he cataloged his collection by doing pencil rubbings of coins. I thought it was pretty cool and spent hours doing pencil rubbings of change I found around the house. I think it was one of the experiences that made me want to collect coins years down the road.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. ~Vince Lombardi.

Earliest memory was when I was about 11 years old looking at my grandfathers “old silver coins” and coins he brought back from WWII. Most were buffalo Nicole’s, standing livery quarters, and a few Morgan dollars. His foreign coins came with a story about where he was when he got them.

Thanks for the chance

• NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Henry Ford

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it."

My first memory of coins was some proof sets my dad got in 1979 and then we heard there was a Type 1 and Type 2. I can't remember which was more rare, but we had the more rare sets and my dad sold them for a good profit. I thought that was cool so I started going through his collect and then started roll hunting for my own collection.

Thanks for the giveaway and best of luck to everyone.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you are back on the forum :)

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

PF comes back strong!

It would have to be the opening line of Patti Smiths's version of "Gloria"
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bPO0bTaWcFQ

Now I'm listening to Patti. Forgot the last part of the contest.

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 4:17PM

Deleted my own clutters 😣

edited June 14, 2022 4:17PM

`Oh gosh I derailed my own subject 😂

Well some say life will beat you down
    Break your heart, steal your crown
    So I’ve started out for God knows where
    I guess I’ll know when I get there
    “Learning To Fly”

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

"It is a very funny thing about life, if you refuse to accept anything but the best you very often get it."
    ~ W. Somerset Maugham

Christmas, 1974. I received a checkbook box from my Uncle Tony in Chicago. He must have remembered I had asked him about his pinky ring (an Indian Quarter Eagle) and his Coin Belt Buckle. Inside, a world of fascination (assorted coins from Indian Head Cents to an 1897-O Morgan Dollar).

Fast forward to Spring of 1987. A box from my Mom arrived. A checkbook box. Wrapped in a couple of dimestore coin magazines and a couple of scribbled pages. I know that box. Childhood fascination met the ways and means of a young sailor stationed in the dusty agricultural flatlands of California, being the best I could be as an Avionics Tech in the US Navy, And in that moment, a collector was born.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 4:50PM

I have collected coins since I was 8 years old and my GrandFather took me to coin auctions and bought me small items such as Indian Head Cents, Buffalo Nickels and Steel Pennies. This gave be the bug and I have been collecting coins for almost 55 years.

GrandAm :)
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 5:33PM

I've got to think a bit more about my earliest experience of being fond of a coin but I do have an inspirational quote to share:

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• BigtreeBigtree Posts: 223 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Victor Frankl

I found a very circulated Mercury dime in my dad's change jar as a kid, which set me off on a thrilling hunt for more cool coins.

Thanks for doing this incredibly generous giveaway, @Paradisefound !

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not the size of the dog in the fight, it’s the size of the fight in the dog.

First started liking coins around 12ish (11?). My uncle’s collection was pretty awesome and I wanted to build something a lot like it.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your generous and thoughtful give away.

“Be who you is. 'Cause if you ain't who you is, then you is who you ain't”.

I have always loved this quote. It is attributed to Harry Hein, as far as I know.

I had a great uncle who used to give me silver dollars. As a kid that was unfortunately too much money not to spend, but it was the start of my love of silver dollars.

Vplite99

• SimpleCollectorSimpleCollector Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok here you go,

Vive la vida que quieras, no la que puedas.

Live the life you want, not the life you can.

First memory was seeing my first Morgan cc.. it was an 1884 Morgan CC that a neighbor who sold coins had gotten in into his inventory in 1980. I begged an pleaded with my parents to get it as a birthday present. In fact, here is a picture of it, as it still is with me. Despite being put away for 25+ years when I didn’t collect and somehow getting a scratch on the reverse although it’s in the original flip and never been near a staple. I guess you could say it’s my North Star. It reminds me, when needed, why we collect.

Welcome back, and thanks for bringing joy to the forum.

• “Everyone dies not everyone really lives”

1991 ASE my dad gave me when I was a kid. I liked it because it was bigger than all the rest of the coins.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Farmers Quote
    IF you go to bed the same day as you wake, you're not trying hard enough ;)

Earliest recollection of coins...
    I found a $10 bill in a general store and my Dad said I must turn it in to the clerk for the lost and found.
    Had to wait 30 days to see if anyone claimed it.
    On the 30th day my Dad took me back to the store to claim it.
    I bought a dollars worth of candy and the change was in silver coinage.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

“ do unto others as you would others do unto you “
    Jzyskowski and the boys 😉🦫🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "I drank what?" -- Val Kilmer, Real Genius 1985.

I got my first silver dime on my paper route when I was about 10. Between that, and searching for a 1909 s VDB in circulation, I was hooked.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Every day is a fresh start."

When I was very young, I used to dump out a jar of pennies with my cousin and organize them into a time line of dates. I began noticing things like wheat backs pre-1959 and wondered why we never found any for 1943. Those were the seeds of my collecting!!

• MizzouMizzou Posts: 502 ✭✭✭✭

You don't lose if you get knocked down, you lose if you stay down.

Beach girl, if my beggar wins...Please donate the proceeds to your local Humane Society -

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

My baby girl is leaving for college in August and while I am beyond proud of her, I am having a hard time with it too. So, the quote most appropriate for me is that of a song lyric.
    “When you finally fly away, I’ll be hoping that I served you well”

The first coin that hooked me into the hobby was a 1986 Liberty commemorative. An old friend gave it to me as a parting gift just before he moved. I remember thinking it was worth a fortune because it was housed in a luxurious blue velvet box. 😁

• KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 3:58PM

Once in a while you get shown the light In the strangest of places if you look at it right

• Robert Hunter

Thanks for so much giving back, and the chance...!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Anything worth doing is worth doing well.”

Thank you for the generous gesture and welcome back.

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 7:42AM

Woah, thanks for the chance, I have always wanted some gold but never pulled the trigger :)

_“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
    "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
    _
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

My mother traveled internationally a fair bit when she was younger and one day she let me look through her jar of foreign coins and I was pulled into this hobby, nevermore to return to the normal world :wink:

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file