Home U.S. Coin Forum

😍 GOT gold? CONTEST ❤️ We have a WINNER!!!

Comments

• labloverlablover Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 9:37AM

“If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always got.” – Henry Ford

Became fond of Roosies approx.. 15 years ago. I blame Nick (Onlyroosies) Cascio for my habit.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

“I made mistakes and I’ve been hard hit, I say ‘so what, so what if I did?’ I’m the clear eyed, I’m the comeback kid”
    The Midnight
    https://youtu.be/YO_spdAYjPk

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 10:21AM

Thanks for opportunity for a very generous giveaway! I hope it's not too late!

These two quotes have often inspired me over the years, and I incorporate them (back to back) for a talk I give to my prospective Undergrads... let the discussion begin! ;-)

The first coin that really grabbed my attention... started it all?: 1798 Large Cent... it was big, it was worn, it had a readable date (although the reverse was gone), it was $10, and I was eleven years old. Up until that point, I had only collected Lincoln Cents and a few Indian Head Cents that escaped my brothers' gaze in our grandfather's coffee can. Grampa worked a soda fountain during the Depression. Every time he came across an IHC, into the can it went. In the late 60's and early 70's, that was my lone source for that issue. Bank rolls and (after I turned 10) lawnmower money sustained my coin collecting. On one occasion, I followed my brother to the Hobby Shop he went to for slot-car racing. They also had a coin shop associated with it. After getting bored watching my brother have fun (he's 10 years older than me), I went to the coin store... low and behold... there she was! An 18th Century coin. I poured over the Red Book at the earlier date copper coins but never thought I'd ever get one let alone see one. At $10, that was 5 lawns to be mowed and would likely take a couple of weeks! Oh, the Humanity! How could I possibly wait that long!! As luck would have it, it was still there after I got the money together and it was the centerpiece of my collection during my youth. It got sold somewhere along the way, but I've recently rekindled my fondness for some of these older pieces, and have this one on the way... I paid a little more than $10 but there's much more detail on it than it's predecessor...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2022 11:20AM

❤️ Uhhhh WOW Mr. Rocco your ARTWORK is so original! 🥰
    PROOF70

Not late at all 🐬 you are actually early 🐟

Your perseverance and Patience paid off
    A special piece to stay in your family for generations

@lkenefic said:
    Thanks for opportunity for a very generous giveaway! I hope it's not too late!

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - quite a generous giveaway!

My favorite quote: "Although I have no intention of spending the rest of my life looking backward, I do have this secret, this precious thing, that I will always carry with me" --Michael Collins (Apollo 11)

Earliest experience of being fond of coins: I had a 'cool Uncle' who was into gold panning and collecting coins. I was fascinated by both treasures and learned about both from him. Like many I started collecting Wheat Cents and just loved how special they were compared to modern change.

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Taking my coin albums to the weekly golf club, and my 'Uncles' finding coins to fill holes. Good times.

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

🤔 Did you find yourself liking mangled coins as a child @ErrorsOnCoins ?

edited June 17, 2022 3:06PM

@Paradisefound said:

As a child I did collect coins and stamps. I did find an error stamp as a kid and got excited. My dad had and I now have a fairly nice UNC stamp Collection in protective album. Never priced it. My dad did have a nice little box of silver that I loved going through. One day it disappeared when my little sister stole the silver coins to buy cigarettes or pot or both. I was really bummed. Before my dad passed away, he knew I was really getting into coins. He would be impressed where I have gone with the business.

@Paradisefound said:

One day a friend of mine (who became a police officer) made me / showed me how to shave off metal from a cent on the sidewalk and put it in a change machine at the laundromat to get two nickels :o>:)

Any DAD would be very proud …….. especially your DAD! 🥰
    You’ve done wonder in the very niche market 🤗 Clever move!

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

@Paradisefound said:

……………Before my dad passed away, he knew I was really getting into coins. He would be impressed where I have gone with the business.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to share a few things and add some more color to the thread… I got another bloom today, it looks to be very much on topic.

Another colorful image… a sterling silver bar that I poured myself using the backyard foundry. I like to put together little videos of the experience also but that’s for another thread…

A bunch of the metal for this bar actually came from a fellow CU member, a YN about to ship off to College, and outgrow the YN status.

You see, He hunts for bargains and saves the scrap sterling silver he finds and We’ve done a few trades in the past.

I did a short teaser/melting video recently and got a Message of encouragement! He also mentioned having a pile of scrap sterling he’s saved and proposed a trade for - I can’t make this up - a 1/10th Oz Gold AGE.

Paradise found,
    You’ve been gone a bit, so you probably didn’t see the 1/10th I got from RickO… yes that’s right, I read the tea leaves right and managed to get RickO to sell a piece of gold! I even got some cool stickers and gave it “the provenance”

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1075032/new-gold-piece-previously-owned-by-ricko-w-provenance-sticker

Thing is, I only have this error 1/10th and one other - the 1986 OGP. Both coins are kinda special to me, and reside in my collection so I’m left with a Debacle. Try and toss together a grab bag of randoms and hope for a trade, or

If you were to Send the Coin to the YN… it would be sort of a Graduation Token.

As for the inspirational part, well I plan on melting and forging in The future regardless, but were a pile of sterling fall in my lap that would certainly encourage me to do something awesome with it!

Thank you
    and
    Mahalo

It's all about what the people want...

@LukeMarshall 🥰 Thank you for a thoughtful post.
    This one for you! ❤️

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another very generous giveaway from our lovely PF! <3 I remember being a goldless lad happily playing with his copper and silver. Dreaming of gold but never taking that next step. Then one fall day in the year of '18 a beautiful golden Princess came from out of the sky and fell right into my hand. With guidance of the amazing Mango from a warm Hawaiian Paradise she came and Found her way to me. Now she stays warm and safe in her Alaskan home along with new friends of gold. Thanks again PF for being a thoughtful and wonderful person. <3

Someone soon will benefit from your never ending generosity! I congratulate the winner in advance and caution... gold is addicting... ;)

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2022 12:35AM

“I had fulfilled my purpose and there was no reason for me to be a dog anymore. So whether it happened this summer or the next didn’t matter. Ethan, loving Ethan, was my ultimate purpose, and I had done it as well as I could. I was a good dog.”

My gram gave me a Lincoln cent and I wanted it to look like a new red cent. I polished it and showed her. She taught me that you never clean your coins. It's why I collect Lincoln's now.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown

@Batman23 🥰 ….. so GLAD seeing an old friend!
    Glad she remains in your collection!
    PF ❤️

CHEERS to Ethan ❤️

@1Mike1 said:
    “I had fulfilled my purpose and there was no reason for me to be a dog anymore. So whether it happened this summer or the next didn’t matter. Ethan, loving Ethan, was my ultimate purpose, and I had done it as well as I could. I was a good dog.”

• sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Always liked the phrase "Eschew obfuscation."

Fond memory: Metal detecting on grandpa's farm with my dad when I was a kid, and finding a silver half and a quarter that my dad lost when he was a kid. My dad kept the half but I got the quarter. I still have it in my collection.

M AKA Mango a 2oz 6” love bird
    Better send good vibes his way ….. he pecks N picks 😆😂😉

🤔 wut?

@sumdunce said:
    Always liked the phrase "Eschew obfuscation."

edited June 20, 2022 12:28AM

Oh …….

An ironic statement that means avoid ambiguity and adopt clarity. It's ironic because it is hypocritical.

hahaha I think I am trolling myself; only 20:55 hours HST and hardly anyone around CU

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2022 12:00AM

"Better send good vibes his way"

How bout if I just bribe him with a little bird seed. ;)

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2022 12:05AM

We'll be anxiously awaiting Mango's decision on the winner. We'll be watching very closely.

;):D

😳 definitely NOT with that FURY FELINE pix! Not willing to be eaten up that way!

@JBK said:
    We'll be anxiously awaiting Mango's decision on the winner. We'll be watching very closely.

Good try! He had BETTER!!!!

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    "Better send good vibes his way"

How bout if I just bribe him with a little bird seed. ;)

edited June 20, 2022 12:13AM

and OH ….. I hope ya ALL realized the prize is TINY as my disclaimer stated?

Inflation factor!!!!
    but please don’t derail my Contest in political way 🥹

edited June 20, 2022 12:12AM

@Paradisefound said:
    😳 definitely NOT with that FURY FELINE pix! Not willing to be eaten up that way!

@JBK said:

Don't worry. She's all meow and no bite. She'd run scared from Mango. :D

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Good try! He had BETTER!!!!"

That's a stock photo..... trust me I will get the good stuff! ;)<3

edited June 20, 2022 9:40PM

DRAWING is TOMORROW 6/21

I am just so Happy seeing my old friends as well as new member to be my new friends in CU 🥰

Your VIGOR in this hobby is very inspiring ❤️

Mahalo for your participation……… Sharing your fond memories growing’ up and our wonderful parents as well as family members who got us here in the first place 😘

Let’s partay no matter who the winner might be ‘cause we just ……
    LIVE LOVE LAUGH

*fine print disclaimer:
    The coin is very tiny as fully described herein in paragraph (1) therefore acceptance constitutes non binding liability on PF 🤔😉😆

@Omegaraptor 🤗 what a history she happened to witness over her longevity

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Omegaraptor That is a very nice large. And you didn't futz with it. I like that time worn condition. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today is the day....and such a long wait being the l o n g e s t day of the year!!!!! :)

• DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 603 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Knowledge is power."

(The more you know (or specialize) in this hobby, the more you benefit in becoming a wise/seasoned collector or numismatist).

Series unknown until 2014. First cataloged, organized, and documented in 2014. Mintages are known. Destruction inventory is known. The Hawaii medal has a population of 267 after destruction/National archive holding). The Japan medal has a population of 86.

Provenance:
    President Eisenhower
    General Schulz
    JB
    DG (current owner)

Designer: Fank Gasparro

Manufacturer: U.S. Mint

Purpose: Personal medals of President Eisenhower. Awarded as a gesture of presidential gratitude from #34.

Currently, it's the 62nd anniversary of President Eisenhower's Far East trip. This is the coolest Presidential Numismatic Artifact in my collection.

• dunkleosteus430dunkleosteus430 Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 5:55AM

"I am a citizen of the planet
    I was born here
    I'm going to die here
    Come what may
    I am entitled by my birth
    To the treasures of the earth
    No one must be denied these
    No one must be denied."
    -Simon and Garfunkel

I was about five. My uncle had a few cows, and everyone was taking turns brushing them. I wanted to try, but when I put the brush on the cow it looked over at me and whacked me with its horns. I thought it was trying to kill me, but it was just an accident. Anyways, I flew into the fence. A few minutes later, I was inside with just a sore in my mouth and tears on my cheeks. My uncle came and gave me a Sacagawea dollar (Yes, I'm that young.) That was it. I started looking for all sorts of different coins, though I was mostly intrigued by U.S. coins. I think the last U.S. regular issue coins that I found out about were traded dollars, and that was at a coin show.

Young Numismatist

• liefgoldliefgold Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Talk about a dream
    Try to make it real
    You wake up in the night
    With a fear so real
    Spend your life waiting
    For a moment that just don't come
    Well don't waste your time waiting." (Badlands)
    Bruce Springsteen

Gotta love Bruce

liefgold
  • MjwagsMjwags Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

I've always just been intrigued by the images on coins and especially tokens. I can't recall a very specific first time.

Thanks for the opportunity.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandfather died in 1974, years later we were moving my grandma out and I was helping go though stuff at her house she lived in for 40 years. I was very young and was very interested in coins. In a smallish desk in the corner of the living room I found tucked away in a box a 1877 Indian head cent! I couldn't believe it. I knew the coin right away. After that I was hooked on coin collecting..

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2022 7:58AM

“Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.” JFK

>

My earliest memory was getting wheat cents in change from the milk lady in elementary school.
    Thanks for the opportunity.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Let's go! It's drawing Day!

I've got a tiny space cleared out for my new Hawaiian gold. :p

The L O N G E S T day said @Onastone

What are you guys & girl doing to me?

My hand are tired!!!!!!!

so still time to drop by until I got them all ready for Mango

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hope Mango slept well and had a good breakfast cause she's doing the heavy lifting. Good luck to everyone. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file