Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Gold piece, previously owned by RickO w/Provenance Sticker

LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 1, 2022 3:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

If you’ve made a thread on Collectors Universe in the last decade or two you’ve probably got a reply from him…

Spend anytime reading through the various threads, and you’re bound to hear a story or remember a tale he’s told…

Maybe it’s about the time he found a crystal skull while wondering through the Sedona desert…

Or the time he caught a factory worker trying to smuggle gold out of the building through a tiny hole in the wall…

Or when he unearthed that cashe of treasure with his medal detector (actually I think he doesn’t talk much about the last one so moving on)

Anyway there is a couple things we do know about him from his currently almost 100K posts…

1. He likes Gold

2. He don’t like “tarnish” on his coins

That’s right, we all know who I’m talking about… it’s our very own local CU resident, RickO !!

I remember reading from a post that RickO had bought gold coins back around the millennium, but that he doesn’t typically sell so when I saw this comment about letting a piece go I commented back…

Turns out he was thinking of letting go of the Unfinished Proof Coin…

We discussed it a bit and I made an offer, which RickO graciously accepted!

Here it is, in hand!

1999-W $5 1/10th Oz Gold struck with unfinished proof dies.

I like that its a Bullion piece, but also crosses into the numismatic Echelon being a mint error. It’s in a cool PCGS holder too, with the barcode on the reverse.

The day RickO and I sealed the deal for this coin, I also placed an order for some sticker stuff… like I said I would

In hand these look great too!

I did notice on the back of the slab, there is a groove on one side of the plastic…

But, after careful consideration I’ve come to the conclusion that this could have only occurred from the Callus on Ricks index finger contacting the slab while he held the coin and typed one of his numerous posts here on Collectors Universe.
It’s a perfect fit actually…

This one is going into my permanent collection as a memento of the time Ive spent here on CU, the things Ive learned, and the people I’ve met along the way…

Here is the New Piece once more, along with the other Bullion 1/10th AGE I own, the 1986 inaugural year in OGP

Thanks again @ricko , It really looks great if I say so myself, and of course y’all know I wouldn’t be posting this if I hadn’t cleared it with the Boss first,

in fact,

He got a Complimentary batch of Stickers for his Best Blast White and Shiny slabbed Gold.

Cheers

Edit:
Originally I had this thread qued and ready to go last month, but seeing that it was April fools day I decided not to post it then as this is no joke!!

It's all about what the people want...

Comments

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story, sounds like great friends too
    Cingrats on the coin and most of all your friendship
    Not to steal a fraze.....
    Cheers.............

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice gold and stickers.
    Nearly 100k is nuts! … 🤔⭐️

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!

peacockcoins

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been active for a few months now, and always intrigued by RickO's posts. His sign-off with Cheers makes me think he is British, maybe. To me he is the most mysterious man alive!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool! :)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

VERY cool 😎
    I especially like the Ricko approved sticker 👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    I love that your sticker is rainbow colored.

It's the only flash of color you'll find on a Ricko release, or so I'm told!

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha, I just saw this. How cool.

By the way, word on the street is RickO is now having a yard sale and "everything must go!" :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Meltdown.... :o Hold on now.... Do not get carried away.... Just parted with one piece. I have not become a dealer.... :D Still a collector and I love my coins (Well, seriously like them a lot anyway). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    @LukeMarshall ... Thanks for a great post and pictures. Got a few chuckles too. I am happy that you are pleased with the coin, I enjoyed it while it was in my collection. Cheers, RickO

I had been led to believe that rickO never sold anything, but apparently that has changed. Maybe this was a one-off deal, as they say on CNBC.

Vplite99
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vplite99 said:

@ricko said:
    @LukeMarshall ... Thanks for a great post and pictures. Got a few chuckles too. I am happy that you are pleased with the coin, I enjoyed it while it was in my collection. Cheers, RickO

I had been led to believe that rickO never sold anything, but apparently that has changed. Maybe this was a one-off deal, as they say on CNBC.

Was about to say the same thing!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually... I have mentioned several times that I had sold some gold Britannia's back when gold had hit it peak around ten years ago... So, once in a while I part with something. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

And this is why true friends are treasured like our best coins. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall ❤️ What a thoughtful Thread and I am happy for both of you! It’s a keeper for sure!

I wondered why I didn’t know you earlier ….. before my sabbatical.

I really missed that old camaraderie where deals were done on equal respect and a handshake.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko is board royalty; a white king so to speak.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file