Home U.S. Coin Forum

😍 GOT gold? CONTEST ❤️ We have a WINNER!!!

Comments

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

"I believe in love and live my life accordingly, but I choose to let the mystery be."
    Iris Dment
    My interest in coins was kindled when I'd collect for my paper route, one of my customers was a single guy who was a teacher and coach at the high school. He had a small table with a drawer next to his front door, kind of what I'd call a nightstand that you'd normally see next to a bed. He'd open that drawer and it was full of coins. He always pay me for the paper in coins. I'm not sure why that intrigued me so much, but I was determined that someday I'd like to have a drawer full of coins like that!

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited June 15, 2022 10:05AM

Thank you everyone for dropin’ by! ….. so nice getting to know some NEW Wonderful members I missed during my sabbatical

COIN UP my friends!

…..and let’s go!!!

edited June 15, 2022 8:30AM

❤️ Congratulations on your job well done! The beautiful part of your daughter growing up is ……. you too growing’ up along with her 🥰

BRAVO

@Downtown1974 said:

My baby girl is leaving for college in August and while I am beyond proud of her, I am having a hard time with it too. So, the quote most appropriate for me is that of a song lyric.
    “When you finally fly away, I’ll be hoping that I served you well”

I certainly WILL and WILL also …, FedEx you a PUPPY as a runner up prize 🤔

@Mizzou said:

Beach girl, if my beggar wins...Please donate the proceeds to your local Humane Society -

• AstroJoeAstroJoe Posts: 308 ✭✭✭

Truth is what your mind says it is. - I'm not sure if it's paraphrased from Aristotle.

I found a 1920-P in the debris from an old house that burned down a block away from where I lived. This was in the later 60's.

Joe

Everything is all right!
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t remember the exact quote, but it’s basically “worrying gets you nowhere, what’s more, most things worried about never end up happening anyway”.

Having anxiety moderately often, that quote really resonated with me. I like it because it’s true!

As for a coin that made me fond early on, I guess it would be the 1798 Bust Dollar I had 10 years ago.

Sadly I sold it a year later and have regretted it ever since. :(

I do have coins that I like better currently, so it’s all good.

This one currently has me happy and is a similar looking coin:

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree! I learned the lesson with the dollar. Just as original but VF30!
    No pictures unfortunately. This was in 2013

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." George Harrison

• D808LFD808LF Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Ready! Fire! Aim!"

Finding a doubled 'Monticello' 1939 Nickel in the wild, circa early 1970's.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 284 ✭✭✭✭

My most memorable bit of inspiration comes from my Father who passed 4+ years ago.

Say your trying to open a box of some sorts and it just isn't going well. He would always say " the first rule is that you be smarter than the box."

This bit of knowledge has been passed down to my two children and they know it well to the extent that my daughter made me a shop sign with that statement on it.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

PF, I think you got everyone's attention. :D
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

My quote from my sig -
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    ― Will Rogers

And my Grandfather gave me a 1917 2 dollar bill in tattered condition when I was 6 and collected money/coins ever since! I still have that tattered old bill and will probably be buried with it!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” Theodore Roosevelt

My earliest experience being fond of a coin is when my grandmother gave me a 1786 New Jersey Copper when I was a young boy. Years later, the forum helped me identify it as a Maris 25-S which has an R-5+ rarity rating. I wish my grandmother was still around to tell me how and when she received the coin. My family ancestors from her side immigrated to New Jersey from Europe and lived in NJ, Maryland and Pennsylvania for generations. As an adult, I have always wondered how it came into her possession and ultimately ended up in my collection.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 15, 2022 7:11PM

My best friend and I would go to the local laundromat with our 50 cent pieces (made of silver, it was 1963), and drain the change machine there looking for nickels for our Jefferson nickel collections. Every now and then, to our delight, a Buffalo nickel would show up out of the change machine. So, one could get 10 nickels for a 50 cent piece out of the nickel machine. The nickels were for use in the washers and dryers there at the laundromat. It cost 15 cents to wash a load of clothes and ten cents to dry the load in those days, as I recall. Well, the owner grew weary of us emptying his nickel change machine leaving no nickels for his customers so he would pull all the "old" dimes that he found (all Mercury), put them in a bag, and let us take the bag home to go through. Just replace the dimes you guys want to keep was the deal along with us agreeing not to empty his nickel change machine with our 50 cent pieces anymore.

Those were the days when a person trusted the other person unless the person proved himself or herself unworthy of that trust. I can tell you all I never stole a dime from that man and I don't think my friend did either.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

This has already been mentioned at least once in this thread but I like it:

You miss one hundred percent of the shots you don’t take.

In terms of coins, before I really knew anything about coins being a young kid, a family friend shared his father’s coin collection with my mom, brother, and I. At the end, he dumped out a bag of Indian cents and told my brother and I to each pick out one. I tried to find the oldest and of course still have that 1859 Indian cent. 😊

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2022 11:00AM

Just don't get distracted by the view, the weather,etc. and forget to draw my name, I mean, the winner's name. ;):D

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a favorite inspirational quote - Never needed one or the use for one so, I'll make up my own...
    For those that say " You only live once" your wish is granted.

My earliest and most fondest experience with a coin was when I was a kid and with my grandmother, helping her to roll pennies back in the early 70's. Btw, She kept her silver dollars in a Folgers can in the freezer in case of a burglary. The seed she planted in me took 42 years to sprout :)

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

"It rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"

-Hannibal Lecter

edited June 16, 2022 11:32AM

I have GOT TO get M partial to you! 😉
    Millet anyone?

Scene from a few contest before a riot at the fortune cookies HQ

@JBK said:
    Just don't get distracted by the view, the weather,etc. and forget to draw my name, I mean, the winner's name. ;):D

Similar to Saddle Ridge Hoard with your Folgers can experience? 🤔

@Coinscratch said:
    I don't have a favorite inspirational quote - Never needed one or the use for one so, I'll make up my own...
    For those that say " You only live once" your wish is granted.

My earliest and most fondest experience with a coin was when I was a kid and with my grandmother, helping her to roll pennies back in the early 70's. Btw, She kept her silver dollars in a Folgers can in the freezer in case of a burglary. The seed she planted in me took 42 years to sprout :)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mango is looking very enthused. Great beak technique. @Paradisefound you've brought us together in a beautiful way. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

edited June 16, 2022 4:09PM

❤️🐬🐟🌺🌈🌴🐠🦑🐋🐙🐡🥰🦈

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 16, 2022 4:19PM

@jerseycat101 said:

-Hannibal Lecter

That was actually Buffalo Bill, but you got the right movie. ;)

Philippians 4:4-7

RBAY

@jerseycat101 said:

-Hannibal Lecter

On first look at Paradise's picture, i thought , "are those snow-covered peaks in the distance? On closer examination I see that the white things in the center of the picture are really white umbrella tops. :#

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

@TwoSides2aCoin 🥰 I REALLY LOVE what your Dad said!!!!
    A wise man your Dad is and …..you are not too far from the tree ❤️

edited June 16, 2022 5:30PM

edited June 16, 2022 5:03PM

It does looks like a bunch of Mount Fuji isn’t it?
    Although our Mauna Kea gets her snow quite often 🤙

@mr1874 said:
    On first look at Paradise's picture, i thought , "are those snow-covered peaks in the distance? On closer examination I see that the white things in the center of the picture are really white umbrella tops. :#

Pardon me for not finding the old joke funny nor your retort; kindly please find a better response otherwise go save your day

@UpGrayedd said:
    @TwoSides2aCoin
    I am not making light of your sincere memory about your mom and dad, and I hope this does not offend you, but your comment about helping your mom get a million dollars reminded me of the old joke: How do you make a million dollars farming?

Start out with two million.

Ba-dum-bump :D

PF comes back strong!

Indeed she does!

Gloria as written by Umberto Tozzi is a love song. In the original lyrics, Tozzi, who takes the role of the song's main character, tells that he is dreaming about an imaginary woman named Gloria. He describes his living days as misery, but when he dreams of Gloria, he says his nights are liberty. The protagonist describes Gloria as his queen imagination that comes from his fascination, not from any kind of fantasy. He further elaborates that he has always set Gloria free from him, just as he has set freedom from reality. He then tells that his friends think he is crazy, but he argues his point that they have never met Gloria (so far, he has no proof of her actual existence); but one day when he finds her, he says his friends will talk about Gloria's beauty and her loyalty. To accomplish the goal of realizing his dreams despite everyone else's protests, the protagonist sets all his life to search for Gloria until he meets her in reality, and then promises to hold her, to touch her, and to keep her because he loves Gloria.

Paradise if you draw my name as contest winner, please disregard and draw another name. I won your last contest just before you left. Welcome back, we all missed you!

Everyone get out of your chairs and shake your booties to Gloria as performed by Laura Branigan on this, the eve of Paradisefound announcing the lucky winner of the beautiful gold piece she has selected for giveaway by random drawing!
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nNEb2k_EmMg

@Paradisefound
    @TwoSides2aCoin

My sincere apologies, I did not mean to offend either of you. I am a farmer/rancher and I quess my type of humor doesn't translate to the island life. Please remove my name from the contest or if not and I accidentally win, please give it to @TwoSides2aCoin.

edited June 16, 2022 5:42PM

@UpGrayedd
    Mahalo!

• jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd said:

@jerseycat101 said:

-Hannibal Lecter

That was actually Buffalo Bill, but you got the right movie. ;)

darnit my bad

• JimWJimW Posts: 556 ✭✭✭✭

Give me liberty or give me death
    first coin question - an unc 1938 nickel that I paid $2 for back in mid 70s, which was a lot of $ for an 8 yr old at that time - still have it.....

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown, ElmerFusterpuck

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

" SOMETIMES YOU WILL NEVER KNOW THE VALUE OF A MOMENT, UNTIL IT BECOMES A
    MEMORY."

Back in the late 60s I seen my first 1955/1955 Lincoln cent. I'll never forget it.

Very nice to see you back!

• 2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭✭

This quote pretty much saved my life…really put the chaos in proper perspective…
    As for early coin stories? My dad would take my brother and I to the local coin show in Portland, Oregon in the early 70’s only after finishing all our chores, drop us off then pick us up a few hours later…A little background, he was a coin collector in his youth but everything in his collection was gleaned from everyday commerce… I hop in the car and beaming show him the 1933 full red BU Lincoln I paid 1 dollar for! He was livid! Shocked that I would pay so much for a Lincoln…
    Earliest core coin memory for me!

• charlesf20charlesf20 Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

Grandparents "Don't take any wooden nickels"
    They gave me two Silver Dollars.

As of @2windy2fish here is the quote ☺️

Hope it’s not too windy to fish this weekend 🐟🐠🐡

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    MEMORY."

Back in the late 60s I seen my first 1955/1955 Lincoln cent. I'll never forget it.

No doubt you seeing the 55/55 made you do a "double" take. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited June 16, 2022 11:36PM

Concur! Should’ve pull the trigger just a few years back fir $875 🤔 it’s insanely high now.
    BTW where is @ThePennyLady ?

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Jimnight said:
    MEMORY."

No doubt you seeing the 55/55 made you do a "double" take. :)

I hop in the car and beaming show him the 1933 full red BU Lincoln I paid 1 dollar for! He was livid! Shocked that I would pay so much for a Lincoln…Earliest core coin memory for me!

Would have REALLY shocked him to learn how much I paid for my '33 Lincoln not that long ago.Not an easy coin to find nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file