Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANACS Slab by Generation Info

Comments

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

And as for the dates, @86Saab and I keep poking at it when we can. He doesn't post that often, but it's always interesting, as are his presos in the first post and the top of page 2.

That's the great bit about coin boards. Just when you think YOU are the maximum crazy, you find I guy who spends 100s of hours surfing Heritage auctions and you figure, nah, by THOSE STANDARDS, I'm sane.

A long time ago I read that if you are so far out on the Internet that nobody wants a piece of you, you've gone too far. Words to live by...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need a better shot of the 1884-O in the "TV Grading ANACS" slab. The cert# should resolve. I worked quite a bit with the ANACS Web/Database developer to unlock several areas of the database that had been hiding behind null queries.

@BStrauss3 That's the best resolution I have for the 1884-O. Does this help?

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options

Absolutely. I will reach out to my contact and tell him there's another block of cert#s that can't be found.

-----Burton
  • Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

@86Saab
    I have pictures in my article of both type 3 certs with and without the grade and you have the only type 3.1 photo cert

Bob

• Options
    86Saab86Saab Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

@bob48 Sorry, I meant the photos of the 3 ANACS Slab Gen 3's you mentioned below not the Type 3 certs.
    300288 1961-D 10c MS-64,
    301175 1979-S 1c PF66R,
    301811 1978-D 50C MS65

• Options
    bob48bob48 Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Checked my inventory and found I had one more ANACS type 3 slab.
    300261 1967 5c MS-66 SMS.

Bob

• Options

Just came across this thread and thought I'd post these pictures of this Generation 11 slab I purchased years ago (sorry for the poor scans).

• Options

The more ANA high number NJs I see posted here, the more certain I become that the Amos NJ upstream was a re-holder and they couldn't save the hologram.

Thanks!

-----Burton
  • Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@86Saab I am new to Collectors Universe, but have collected coins or more than 40 years. After reading this I went thru my old Anacs hollered coins and found 7 of the holders you call generation 3. Numbers 300275, 300553, 300558, 300573, 300805, 301078 and 301500. Do these holders add any premium to the coin?

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 Welcome to CU. I'd love to see photos of your gen 3's. As for a premium, yes there is some when they are noted or noticed by more than one person that knows how scarce they are. I've seen them sell with a premium of $20 - $50. I've monitored sales of them for several years as well as having dug through years of auction records across several major coin auction houses and sites. That being said they are most often listed with no premium as it was only a few years ago that I came to realize they existed and created the "history" of ANACS generations. I don't think many people are aware how scarce they are. Adding your 7 to my census brings the total number seen, sold or confirmed to exist since 2015 to only 65. Who knows if they will gain a larger premium as time goes on.

• Options

@86Saab i am not home at the moment but I will snap some photos later today.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those gen3 holders are quite rare, the reason that there is not a big holder premium for most of the ANACS holders is that the number of collectors actively looking for them is much smaller than the number of collectors that want and search for NGC or PCGS old holders. Some of that is the continued perception that the old NGC and PCGS holdered coins are always undegraded, that perception has not been attached as strongly to the older ANACS holders by as much of the marketplace.

@gumby1234, love your avatar pic, I grew up with collies and have shelties now.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf That's my 14 year old sheltie. He is my best bud. As for undergraded Anacs coins see my post about what would you grade this coin. I love the old anacs holders and have many with undergrads coins. Unfortunately there are I few that need to be regarded in order to get the big dollars for them.

• Options

Great family members shelties are, my nine year old girl loves to hang out in my office and protect me as I work, lol. For sure there are many under graded coins in the old ANACS holders, they just don't enjoy the popularity and enthusiasm to collect them that the older NGC and PCGS holders do.

You will get more grade replies if you post that Morgan in the US section of the forum vs the Q&A. Tough to tell from angled photos but my guess from your photos is that ANACS called it MS63PL, maybe DMPL. Again from those photos I would guess if submitted today MS64PL, the tone would likely negate a DMPL today. My opinion might change if viewed in hand.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options

@coinbuf bad photos from my phone. But I would say it should be a 65PL at least. Anacs has it as just MS64. DMPL highly possible it has deep reflection even thru the toning.

@86Saab Bad pics if you want them individually let me know.

• Options

@gumby1234 Thanks for the pictures, they are sufficient. Also since we're reviving this post I was wondering if anyone has any ANACS gen 7.0 & P6.5, I've found them to be the most scarce of all ANACS holders. I've only catalogued 28 & 24 respectively since Jan 2015 and nearly half of both were from one small "hoard" from the original submitter. Both were used at the same time but I estimate only a day or two.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2022 9:04AM

@BStrauss3 said:

I thought for sure ANACS only graded a single example of a no date Morgan dollar yet here is another:

peacockcoins

• Options

Actually, the Population report shows 16 Po1 and 1 Fr2. Plus an off-center AU-58 from New Orleans.

-----Burton
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Actually, the Population report shows 16 Po1 and 1 Fr2. Plus an off-center AU-58 from New Orleans.

Yes, but I am sure the majority of those PO1s have a date. It is unusual for ANACS to slab a coin where a date could not be determined (Chain cents and one-year type coins are the exception, as well as "D" mint Morgans as 1921 is the only year).

peacockcoins

• Options

You would be wrong. Go check the ANACS population report yourself - since you don't believe me.

-----Burton
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 24, 2022 7:40PM

Prior to ANACS hiring me to completely re-do their cert verification and population report (I'm who helped @BStrauss3 with missing cert # ranges as he posted earlier), we had the below key for the first 2 characters of the old certs published on our website. You had to translate your cert using this key before you could look it up. This is because all cert #'s, including the alphanumeric ones, tie back to numeric values in the database. In my re-do of the cert verification, I added a lookup in the code to keep you from having to do that, allowing you to enter the cert as it appears on the slab. I'm not sure by what logic these codes were created (or why there are gaps), but this might be of help when looking at the alphanumic certs on the first-generation ANACS slabs:

CD = 1
    EX = 2
    JK = 3
    KP = 4
    LO = 5
    LP = 6
    MJ = 8
    NJ = 9
    PG = 10
    PK = 11
    RD = 12
    RE = 13
    SC = 14
    SX = 16
    TR = 17
    TS = 18
    WD = 19
    WE = 20
    WF = 23
    WR = 24
    XA = 26
    ZD = 27

So, for the Antietam commemorative in one of the previous posts, the cert # EX1596 is 21596 in the database because EX = 2.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options

Christian has been a great resource for unlocking parts of the ANACS database that were previously hidden.

The 0####, 7####, etc. cert#s come after the last Amos XX#### certs. Lowest I have is "75".

Not in sequence, but:

ANA: CD EX JK KP LO LP MJ NJ RD RE TR WD WF WR XA
    Amos: EX PG PK RE SC SX TS WE ZD

EX and RE are the cross-overs, those were in use at the time of the sale.

-----Burton
  • Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

The listings above are very interesting. Thanks for listing them.
    I do have some questions and comments.
    ANA
    I have a list that dated Nov 21,2019; it has TX and TS prefixes also for ANA.
    I have a 78-S Morgan with TS6867, so TS for ANA is correct.
    I do not have a TX; is TX correct for ANA?
    Amos
    The Nov 21,2019 list does not have a TS for Amos. Correct or not for Amos

• Options

I've never seen a TX, I think your list was wrong. It's not on Christian's prefix list either.

TS is definitely ANA. And my example is pretty late in the sequence.

It's always possible there is an Amos out there from a reholdering (we've seen others out of sequence where that seems to be the reason).

-----Burton
  • Options
    LewLew Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

here is my ANA TS6867 obv & rev

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Very informative and enjoyable thread. Quite extensive research - thanks.
    Picked this one up at a small Midwest coin shop several years ago to go in a Dansco album set. Interesting history on these Certs - glad I kept it.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2022 2:14PM

I really like their new gen yellow slabs. They attract buyers off the bourse. Sold a Mexico 2017 ANACS (yellow slab) MS 70 Onza from my table at show recently. The guys wife wanted it. I think she saw it from a distance from the table (smart shopper) and it attracted them over.

Really like the 1885 Anacs 64 Dollar and Anacs MS64 1938D 5c. They really look PQ too.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

The Yellow labels are a love/hate thing, probably 25%/75%.

The old ANA-era ANACS grading was very technical from the ANA Grading guide. This means some coins are (by today's market grading standards) under graded, but some are not pretty and are (by today's market grading standards) over graded.

A lot of the older "under graded" coins have been cherry-picked and upgraded into current-era holders. So if you are going to play the crack-out game, you really need to look carefully at what you are buying. A coin that has really been off-market for 30 years is a better bet than one that has been bouncing around through a dozen hands who've decided it's not going to upgrade.

-----Burton
  • Options

I wanted to know about ANACS slabs and here is all this great research. Thanks for all this information. I have 3 ANACS coins, one is from Gen 4, one Gen 5 and the 3rd is Yellow, probably Gen 9 or 10. I did notice my Gen 4 is smaller than Gen 5. Gen 4 holder is for a 1896-S Morgan, cert #816513 (orange pyramids on reverse) and the thicker slab 1901 Morgan 2556398 has golden pyramids.

• Options

@RodgerC I'm glad you have found value with all the information we provided. I still amazes me that I could not find much on the ANACS slabs prior to putting this post up and refining the data with the help of all the great contributors here.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2022 1:51AM

I added this to my War Nickle set
    Thanks to @pointfivezero for pointing that out

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options

Nice score @Twobitcollector

• Options

I've just made another photo cert discovery. I picked it up the other day, It appears a transition cert of the type 4.1. It's dated Jan 25 1983 right at the end of the 4.1's run and it has a second label added by ANACS to the back. Anyone else seen one of these?

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trying to play catch-up here. Correct me if I'm wrong:
    SWH = Small White Holder
    AMOS are the folks who bought the grading service and, with some cross-over, transition from the alpha-numeric cert number to the numeric code.
    @BStrauss3 indicates "Of the smaller SWH, under ANA ownership there is an ANA in the inside of the front shell, under Amos Press ownership an A."
    I'm afraid I'm not following. On the insert itself there are the letters "ANA" or "A"? Or does this refer to something else entirely?

My contribution to the discussion:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

@Weiss Very nice walker and yes to the meaning of SWH. I don't want to put words in @BStrauss3 mouth but I think he was just making the point that the gen 1 has ANA printed on the front label background and when AMOS took over they changed it to ANACS. Also the rear hologram on the gen 1 is the "gold foil" with ANA/PNG on it and the gen 2 AMOS rear was changed to two large A's over ANACS. And yes AMOS purchased them and transitioned from the alphanumeric cert numbers to numeric only at some point in 1991. If I'm missing anything or incorrect as to BStrauss3's intent please feel free to clarify.

• Options

Bit of an artistic take:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2022 5:44PM

Actually the INSIDE of the reverse piece of the shell has the ANA lamp of knowledge which became a A under Amos Press.

It was recently posted by a former ANA grader from DC that XA was the first sequence used.

Amos graded a lot of coins before switching over to the all numeric certs. There are approx. 80,000 numbers in their Alphanumeric space, vs. 130,000 for ANA.

But, the SWH space goes up over 3 million so 200-210k alpha coins are a drop in the bucket.

PS, I'm perfectly capable of putting my own words in my mouth ... they join my feet that spend a lot of time there...

-----Burton
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    Actually the INSIDE of the reverse piece of the shell has the ANA lamp of knowledge which became a A under Amos Press.

Ah. But unless I'm mistaken, I believe you said the inside of the front shell earlier. This is actually inside the back shell if this is what you're referring to:

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

From my GTG post:

I believe these were pretty early holders, and the grades pretty conservative. In retrospect it would be nice to still have them in those holders, but it’s been roughly 30 years since I cracked them out, and they certainly weren’t old at the time!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    Also, to prove the bit about the overlap not being a clean cutover...

Recent acquisition - no image yet - RE2160, a 1945S Jefferson Nickel - AMOS

-----Burton
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2023 2:39PM

This thread is too valuable to be dormant for over a year. : )

Another SWH A coin (Gen0 ?). Not mine, stumbled upon the image ...

Tommy

• Options

We've seen A00005 but we don't know where they fit in the sequences.

Clearly ANA ownership SWH.

If I had to guess they were the samples during the change over from the photocerts. But that's JUST A GUESS.

-----Burton
  • Options

I really enjoy those early ANA holders.

My Lincoln Registry

• Options
    edited November 15, 2023 4:55PM

@coinbuf said:

Me too. A recent Gen3 purchase:

Tommy

• Options

Paging @86Saab - is this a new one for your list?

-----Burton
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffersonFrog said:

@coinbuf said:

Me too. A recent Gen3 purchase:

Count me in.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@BStrauss3 , I've got it on the list, it recently sold on GC.
    @JeffersonFrog , I sold that Wisconsin earlier this year. Unfortunately I know nothing about it's origins and since @BStrauss3 doesn't know it will probably remain a mystery forever.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file