Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1919 Mercury Dime - CONFIRMED: DDO Discovery Piece (Census in 1st post)

Comments

• Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fishteeth's FR-Ish raw dime has been assigned coin 39 in the census, congrats! - Please update us if you do send it in.

There is also a 3rd FR in the PCGS Pop Report now - Have to do some sleuthing to see if it's another new discovery, maybe that reddit coin (37) we thought might go AG, or a cross (although there were no NGC FRs)

------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX said:

@CaptHenway said:
    I wonder what a solid no questions Mint State coin would bring if one were ever found?

Good question. If you look at the 1916 DDO Buff you like to compare this to, PCGS Price guide is just about double at every grade than the Merc today.

If that held true, would put the Merc about:

60 - $30,000
    61 - $37,500
    62 - $47,500
    63 - $ 87,500
    64 - $137,500

it is a good scale but if i find one, especially in FB unc, it's going to be sold for A LOT more than those estimates or it can sit in the SDB. it is a matter of pop rarity and desirability. one lone monster of an unc is a maker's market. although chaos rules so perhaps 2 or 3 would make the price even higher. collectables are odd that way. pure speculation on my part though.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still haven't found one. Sooner or later...

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

Thanks @kuwegg57 that is coin 35 in the census. Mr. Fortin has had it on his website through winter.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@StrikeOutXXX
    Thank you for all your work on this topic over the years. Without your organization, we would know very little about the population. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. B)
    It's people like you that make this community special.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a fun thread. My son keeps looking for a second one. A local dealer is saving every 1919 he gets in for me to look at. Have looked at over 400 this year in his shop and in bags of scrap silver. Still the only one we have found was in a bag of unc Roosevelt's. I think these are pretty rare

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job on the update page. It's been fun following this subject all these years.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I echo above posters compliments. Thanks for your efforts.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    JonMN34JonMN34 Posts: 60 ✭✭
    Collector:
    Currency - 1928-1929-1934 Series Stars All Denom. - 126 of ~846
    Lincoln Cent Varieties
    Baseball cards: Kirby Puckett
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2022 5:01AM

Thank you @JonMN34 I missed that one.

That is the 3rd one that user has found on Reddit - he is almost rivaling Bjorn (Think he's found 4 or 5 so far).

Number 41 has been added, I'll call it Good Details - Damaged for now. Looks like maybe a Good-6 Details that was run over in a parking lot, so hard to tell if it would squeak out a VG details, but for the raw ones, just using my best judgement.

It's a Stage B example

• Options

FAIR WARNING - NOT MY COIN, ONLY POSTING TO SPREAD AWARENESS

The NGC AU-55 coin (Number 38 in the census) is on Great Collections with a closing date of July 31st. I'm surprised GC didn't add a little more to the listing.

https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1173587/1919-Mercury-Dime-FS-101-DDO-NGC-AU-55-CAC

This coin became the new "Top Pop" last December, and I am guessing it will set a new sales record. It has been "CAC'd" now as well. There have been 39 recorded sales of the DDO, obviously the vast majority are the FR-Goods and the details coins anywhere from $200 - $2,750. The top seven publicized sales dollar-wise are below. I know there were others in this range of those coins which the folks involved didn't want it publicized as well, including my original sale of the discovery coin. While the lower graded coins have stayed fairly solid price-wise with a tiny bit of weakening as more AG/G's show up, the few VG and above coins seem to have stayed pretty solid. The XF-40 coin did dip once a new Top Pop came out at that time (The XF-45) but I still think the better examples will do well currently and over time.

(8) PCGS XF45 - $10,000 (10/2017 - Private Sale: Rick Snow > Dimeman)
    (4) PCGS XF40 - $9,075 (2/14/16 GC)
    (4) PCGS XF40 - $7,800 (8/22/18 - Stacks & Bowers ANA)
    (1) PCGS VF20 (CAC) - $4,290 (2/26/17 GC)
    (1) PCGS VF20 (CAC) - $3,960 (8/21/16 GC)
    (27) PCGS F12 - $3,240 (4/23/20 Heritage)
    (3) PCGS VG8 - $2,880 (9/7/18 Heritage)

So almost 7.5 years since we started this DDO Adventure, only 41 known (to me) in the census, and an about 6-month old Top Pop for sale for the first time - who cares to venture a guess on final selling price?

It's curious the owner went the NGC route, but to each their own.

I like whole numbers, so I'll guess $16,000 hammer, ($18,000 with BP).

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is rather minimalist. A blowup picture would have been nice, also.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 9:10AM

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    FAIR WARNING - NOT MY COIN, ONLY POSTING TO SPREAD AWARENESS

The NGC AU-55 coin (Number 38 in the census) is on Great Collections with a closing date of July 31st. I'm surprised GC didn't add a little more to the listing.

considering the popularity and it being a top-pop? i'm a bit shocked as well. i have a prediction about this but i'll keep it to myself and wait and watch.

gratz to whomever found that sucker!

forgot to add my price guess!

since it is cac, i'll go $25k with juice.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

I don’t agree with that AU55 grade, jmo 🤔 looks like an AU50 all day long. I can’t believe there’s a CAC sticker on it either 🧐🤨

• Options

I would think the buyer of the coin will likely cross it to PCGS as a 53, get a True View and then we will have a large photo to look at.

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2022 8:06AM

Until someone posts a larger image of the GC coin I believe is on subject...

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been looking for one of these in the wild ever since they were first discovered, but no luck so far.

I don't want to start a flame war, and grading Mercury Dimes is not my area of expertise. Accordingly, I appreciate our hosts and will fully admit they are the market leader. However, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would intentionally risk and/or seek a potential downgrade on a coin with a green bean just to get it into PCGS plastic. And this is coming from a slab collector who routinely pays up for plastic.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

@UpGrayedd said:
    Been looking for one of these in the wild ever since they were first discovered, but no luck so far.

I don't want to start a flame war, and grading Mercury Dimes is not my area of expertise. Accordingly, I appreciate our hosts and will fully admit they are the market leader. However, I have a hard time understanding why anyone would intentionally risk and/or seek a potential downgrade on a coin with a green bean just to get it into PCGS plastic. And this is coming from a slab collector who routinely pays up for plastic.

PCGS Registry Set is the simple answer.
    It will visit the bean factory after it is crossed, likely at a lower grade…but still higher than the current AU50 PCGS top pop. When it is finest known and in this grade range, the grade won’t matter much as long as it can cross at 53. My 2 cents.

• Options

@keyman64 said:

@UpGrayedd said:

PCGS Registry Set is the simple answer.
    It will visit the bean factory after it is crossed, likely at a lower grade…but still higher than the current AU50 PCGS top pop. When it is finest known and in this grade range, the grade won’t matter much as long as it can cross at 53. My 2 cents.

I agree with the registry set angle, and fully understand why someone would want to cross it. I would just want to cross it at the current grade, especially since it has a green bean. If it did cross as an AU53, should JA then give it a gold bean? I also agree that as the top pop the grade doesn't really matter, until someone finds a better one (hopefully me :)).

• Options

With the 2nd best straight-graded coin being the PCGS XF45 whether the new owner crosses it to PCGS at 55 or 53, it's still going to be the top pop, and last I knew, Hanson only had an AG3 in his variety set if he was a player. We all know how much he likes top pops and this one would be cheap compared to many of his other coins, so may have a nice bidding war in the last 5 minutes of that auction.

At $3,600 with just under a few weeks left, it's still between F-VF money, so has a lot of room to move still I think.

The NGC Cert lookup images are a tad better/little more detail than the GC images, neither of which are up to TruView quality, but I don't think it is all that horrible, just can't tell how much luster is left, and if the lacking bands are wear or weak strike, etc. If JA and company laid eyes and beaned it at a 55, I'd take their word over the pictures I have access to for now I guess.

Have my alarm set for that auction close - looking forward to see where she lands.

• Options

The coin closed at: $23,062.50 ($20,500 bid + $2,562.50 BP)

Congrats to the new owner. If it ever gets crossed to PCGS, looking forward to the TruViews!

• Options
    edited July 31, 2022 5:27PM

@StrikeOutXXX said:

Congrats to the new owner. If it ever gets crossed to PCGS, looking forward to the TruViews!

It will be crossed to PCGS with True View soon.
    Edit: No, I did not win it. Nor did I bid on it. No idea why @UpGrayedd laughed at my post in this thread on July 8th. Clearly out of the loop on things.

• Options

@keyman64 said:

@StrikeOutXXX said:

It will be crossed to PCGS with True View soon.
    Edit: No, I did not win it. Nor did I bid on it. No idea why @UpGrayedd laughed at my post in this thread on July 8th. Clearly out of the loop on things.

@keyman64 I Didn't know I hit the LOL. I honestly was confused by your post at first and had to go back and find what you were referring to. No offense was intended, it must have been my fat fingers. I have changed it to a like, and I hope there are no hard feelings.

• Options

Congrats to the buyer and the seller.

• Options

Added Coin #42 to the census:

42) PCGS AG-3 - Listed on eBay 8/2022 seller: reedededge- Sold eBay BIN of $1,395 8/23/22
    Cert: 545047.03/46004231
    Stage B

I'm 99% sure it's a new cert versus one of the raws previously known that was graded, but will double-check my photo archive when I get home today.

Sold pretty quick on eBay with a BIN of $1395.

Here is the completed listing:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/334540566005?hash=item4de42bedf5:g:-~UAAOSw0tFjBQU3&amp;amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoMa+xpFhtcJVH+O6MKpubxvx66zGbY+IFXDEuJz4kx/BMqE9o2Z8ZKqCJ6bNAEACqz3r478VoMkqplyQDjsfoem5hp8aAGus1C3W8srWBnjfbJeywNM2w8bU+eGhJXNUt+EPleqS6GjJQgaNSIR1T+iQhKXVHpfchUMKLX2GKNUXarJeMUyE3A3BmL2eyQ24niJGkH46az3CRhxT4uKz+og=|tkp:Bk9SR-yxrIraYA&amp;nma=true&amp;si=OdQX5qTs80GKSONVKTNbcVYgOuA%3D&amp;orig_cvip=true&amp;nordt=true&amp;rt=nc&amp;_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Options
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

I do @CaptHenway - it is coin #41 - just recently certified, but found raw in June. - Thanks for keeping an eye out!

41) NGC AG Details - Damaged - Reddit member wordisborn discovered and posted June 2022. Listed in NGC Details Holder on eBay 8/25/22 with starting bid of $1,050
    Cert: 6475028-020
    Stage B

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t see all the fuss about this dime. Doubling is only moderate in one spot of coin. No comparison to the various Lincoln Cent DDO

• Options

@Walkerlover said:
    I don’t see all the fuss about this dime. Doubling is only moderate in one spot of coin. No comparison to the various Lincoln Cent DDO

I believe the allure has to do with 2 points. 1) Fact took so many years for it's discovery and 2) The relative scarcity, known examples, and likely survival rate is low. But I do agree with you the 55/55 would trump (not being political) the dimes appearance.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2022 8:45AM

Looks like the NGC AU55 crossed to PCGS AU50

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/46260965

• Options

Looks about right. And a darn fine coin it is, regardless of what the plastic says!

• Options
    Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange that is was cac'd at ngc55.
    Wonder if it'll get a gold bean now?
    B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• Options

@UpGrayedd I say you've just added #43 to the census, congratulations!

You said in the wild - care to share the expanded story on your find?

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UpGrayedd

I was your underbidder. Your pics make the coin look alot better than the scans, so congrats. I left a little meat on the bone for you, so you should be all right with the pick despite the condition.
    A rather obvious pick for anyone looking. Inexplicably, the piece was run up to $36 with many days left to go. Non variety is like $2, so this really drew unnecessary attention to the curious.

If I was the seller, the bidding would have caused me to have a hard look at what I was selling.
    Again, congrats and enjoy.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:
    @UpGrayedd

I was your underbidder. Your pics make the coin look alot better than the scans, so congrats. I left a little meat on the bone for you, so you should be all right with the pick despite the condition.
    A rather obvious pick for anyone looking. Inexplicably, the piece was run up to $36 with many days left to go. Non variety is like $2, so this really drew unnecessary attention to the curious.

If I was the seller, the bidding would have caused me to have a hard look at what I was selling.
    Again, congrats and enjoy.

Thanks @DCW, I was a little nervous about what the seller was thinking. I can only imagine what was going through their mind, but to their credit they followed through.

I didn't mention it earlier, but as you showed with the seller's scan, I did get a 2.5 grain silver bar as a bonus. I didn't know they made them that small. 😆

• Options

Kudos to the seller for keeping their word on the sale.

• Options

Thanks @keyman64 updated the census with the CAC's I didn't have. Someone is cornering the market on the ones over Good huh?

• Options

@StrikeOutXXX said:
    Thanks @keyman64 updated the census with the CAC's I didn't have. Someone is cornering the market on the ones over Good huh?

I can’t speak to Merc Madness’ long term ambitions but he does seem to like the variety and focuses on quality instead of just filling a hole.

• Options
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    DON't put this one in the Census:

Not even close

• Options

Yea, for sure not.

I see several, usually on sites like Etsy and Rubylane, etc with machine doubling of the date advertised as the DDO as well. A lot of wishful thinking.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over at Coin talk a poster just examined 1,850 1919 P Mercs.

He found 3 DDO'd.

Link [for the census}:

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/so-just-how-rare-is-the-1919-ddo-dime.400899/

The OP asked for this to be posted, since he does not have an account here

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Nice, I'll assign them 44,45 and 46 in the census this evening. They do all look AG.

That guy must have had a ball looking through 1850 1919P dimes - who would have thought someone would have that many! Thanks TypeCoin971793!!

• Options
    edited November 14, 2022 3:21PM

OK, thought I had an account at Coin Talk to reply to you there - still waiting on password reset, but TypeCoin971793 - Your 3 are #44-46 in the census. I just went top left, top right, bottom of your pictures.

Your top right one is a "Stage B" as CONECA calls it - has the die crack between R and T of LIBERTY.
    http://varietyvista.com/06 Mercury Dime/1919PDDO001.htm

Thanks for reporting them and great finds! Please update your thread if you ever get them graded, or if you list them somewhere so I can keep track of them best I can.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file